Philanthropy and related issues

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
daveydoo

Re: Philanthropy and related issues

Post by daveydoo » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:42 pm

KlangFool wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:57 pm

<<As an aside, there is always an element of luck in attaining financial good fortune>>

I disagreed. There are those that survived and thrived in spite of bad luck and challenging circumstances.
Of course -- that is the good fortune (or absence of bad luck) that follows the initial bad luck and permits one to rebound. I mean this is getting silly but anyone who overcomes an obstacle and attains financial success or good fortune has ultimately had things go the right way to some extent. You're not gettin' hit by a bus every. single. day. And those who think that their sweat, brilliance, and hard work have singularly led to their success also tend to think others' failures can be attributed to the lack of those traits. Sort of an empathy-killer. Many do lack those traits, but plenty with those qualities in spades get dealt really crappy hands from which no one can rebound without help.

So you lost half your money and managed to get it back. So did I (two or three times), and so did a lot of this forum. It's called "having a young person's age-appropriate asset allocation." You are financially fortunate. I don't think that means that nothing bad has ever happened to you, financially! :D