Are plasma TV's gone forever?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
fsrph

Are plasma TV's gone forever?

Post by fsrph » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:51 pm

I own a Samsung plasma TV and really like it. I do not believe any major company still manufactures plasmas. You still see them on Amazon or Ebay at inflated prices. My Samsung plasma sells for 3x what I paid.

The picture is great, it's not an electricity hog (as they were in the early days), and the screen burn in problem in early units is solved. Oh yeah, they're very good watching sports with fast action. I'd buy another one in a second.

Why did plasmas fall out of favor? Any chance of them being made again?

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie

TomatoTomahto

Re: Are plasma TV's gone forever?

Post by TomatoTomahto » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:54 pm

I doubt it Francis.

killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:58 pm

1. Bright showroom conditions put plasmas at a distinct disadvantage versus LED-lit LCDs that can output much more light, allowing them to stand out in bright environments.

2. Aesthetics may have played a role in hastening plasma's demise. There are limits to how thin you can make a plasma, and edgelit LCDs (and OLEDs) are thinner than that. Unfortunately, high-end LCDs didn't just outshine plasmas in the showroom—they also looked sexier.

3. UHD/4K caught on quickly, and it's difficult—if not impossible—to build UHD/4K plasma TVs in popular screen sizes. Panasonic developed a few giant UHD plasmas, but they were not consumer products.

4. Screen-size limitations also played a part in plasmas plight. The vast majority of 1080p plasmas came in sizes ranging from 42 to 64 Inches, while 1080p LCDs were—and continue to be—available in a much wider variety of screen sizes.

5. You can't bend a plasma. I hate to think that being flat contributed to the death of the technology, but the last two companies to produce plasma TVs were LG and Samsung. Both companies are committed to selling UHD/4K curved-screen TVs.

6. Plasmas were harder to deal with than LCDs. They are heavier and yet more fragile than many LCDs. Shipping a plasma requires a large box that must remain upright. Plus, plasmas developed a reputation for being susceptible to image retention and screen burn-in, which was much more of a real problem in the early days of plasma, but the reputation stuck.

7. While OLED is still in the early stages of development, there's no question it offers greater potential than plasma. OLED is the future of emissive display technology. It should not come as a surprise that LG and Samsung stopped building plasmas—which are also emissive—shortly after OLED debuted.

8. Energy efficiency may have played a part in putting plasma out to pasture. Both LED-lit LCD and OLED are more energy-efficient display technologies than plasma.

9. Plasma was the original flat-panel technology, and that worked against it. It did not matter that it was a mature technology capable of offering superior performance. People just thought of it as old technology.

10. Projectors improved in quality and prices dropped. With LED-lit LCDs being well suited to bright rooms, the existence of decent 1080p projectors for under $2000 may have affected sales of flagship plasmas.
Credit: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-t ... -died.html

edit - acanthurus beat me to it!
Last edited by killjoy2012 on Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SurfCityBill

Post by SurfCityBill » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:59 pm

I have had two Panasonic Plasma TV's for 7 years. Both work great. As well as the day I set them up. :D

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:02 pm

I'm not aware of anybody making plasma TV's anymore.

LCD's improved until few people really noticed the quality difference, and the prices came down on large LCD screens to the point of nearly matching plasmas for cost. For a lot of people with typical household viewing conditions, the higher brightness of the LCD screens was more noticeable than the better black level and colors of the plasmas anyways. Those who did notice and really cared mostly either (A) already owned a really good plasma or (B) were starting to turn to OLED's, despite the cost.

So demand almost completely dried up.

I also have a later model plasma. I've got no intention of replacing it anytime soon, so I'm not too worried about what is on the market currently. If I have to take a small step backwards when it dies to get one of the better LCD screens, that doesn't seem like too dire of a change. For all I know, though, perhaps OLED's will be down in my price range by the time I replace it.

Ketawa

Post by Ketawa » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:32 pm

fsrph wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:51 pm
I own a Samsung plasma TV and really like it. I do not believe any major company still manufactures plasmas. You still see them on Amazon or Ebay at inflated prices. My Samsung plasma sells for 3x what I paid.
You had me excited for a minute because I'm getting rid of my 50" Panasonic plasma TV soon and replacing it with a 65" LG OLED TV. It would have been nice to get more than the $200-300 it's probably worth.

The 65" OLED TV that I am buying is basically the same price in nominal dollars as my high-end plasma TV from 8 years ago. My plasma TV has a 96 Hz mode for film content.

I doubt anyone is actually buying that Samsung plasma for 3x what you paid.

Post by 123 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:42 pm

We loved our Panasonic plasma until it passed away. It used a lot of power, it helped to keep the chill out of the room it was in. It took us awhile to figure out that the infrared heat from the plasma screen was interfering with the operation of our cable remote but we developed a work-around for that.

It was a beast to lug out of the house when we said our final goodbyes to it at the recycling counter at Best Buy.

We missed it a lot less when the brighter 4K UHD TV that replaced it used a lot less power (and cost a lot less to buy and operate).
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:09 pm

Ketawa wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:32 pm
fsrph wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:51 pm
You had me excited for a minute because I'm getting rid of my 50" Panasonic plasma TV soon and replacing it with a 65" LG OLED TV. It would have been nice to get more than the $200-300 it's probably worth.

The 65" OLED TV that I am buying is basically the same price in nominal dollars as my high-end plasma TV from 8 years ago. My plasma TV has a 96 Hz mode for film content.

I doubt anyone is actually buying that Samsung plasma for 3x what you paid.
I was just about to say... I have a Panasonic Plasma and after reading OPs post I ran to eBay to put it up for bid for $3000! Unfortunately it looks like most are being sold for $100-$200.

angelescrest

Post by angelescrest » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:13 pm

I bought the last model imported to America three years ago, roughly.

onourway

Post by onourway » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:27 pm

I think they're gone. Still holding on to our Panasonic Plasma. Great picture quality. Granted the bezels are huge and the glare is an issue during the day. Holding out for OLED to come way down in price...

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:01 pm

A new technology called MicroLED is coming which is said to exceed OLED in image quality. It's not commercially available yet. Here's a Wikipedia article: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MicroLED

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:51 pm

I still have our Panasonic Plasma. Still works great. The pictures aren't as vividly bright as many of the LED's.

Eventually will replace it with 4K or maybe this new OLED, whatever that is. :D

John Laurens

Post by John Laurens » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:59 pm

A Blu ray on my Oppo and 5 year old plasma Panasonic is still better than an uhd disc on my Samsung 4K tv.

Regards,
John

StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:44 am

As an added benefit they will heat your home!

These should be a no brainer in cold climates...
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:17 am

JBTX wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:51 pm
I still have our Panasonic Plasma. Still works great. The pictures aren't as vividly bright as many of the LED's.

Eventually will replace it with 4K or maybe this new OLED, whatever that is. :D
I had a Panasonic Plasma. 4K is good, but OLED is a stunning technology.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:54 am

As others have said, yes they are gone forever, at least as far as new production is concerned.

That said, I have the very last Plasma model that Samsung made--the F8500. I got mine in 2013, but it was carried over with no changes for 2014 before being dropped in 2015. But even without updates for that second year, it was still the best display on the market. It's mounted over the fireplace in my Kitchen/living room area, where it will remain until it dies. Absolutely wonderful.

When I was at my parents house over Thankgiving watching the horrid Lions/Vikings game, I was taken aback by how awesome their Panasonic plasma still looks, a full decade after I all but forced them to buy it. :)

Contrary to another poster, I do think well-mastered 4k content DOES look better on my Samsung HU9000 curved LCD than Blu-Ray does on the F8500. But the difference is certainly not life-altering.

I'll miss plasma displays, but at least we finally have a worthy successor in OLED. Now just need the price to come down some more on the higher-end units. At least they're not $40k anymore, but $7-10k is still too rich for me.

Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:44 am

lazydavid wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:54 am
That said, I have the very last Plasma model that Samsung made--the F8500.
I guess that I do too. I didn't realize that it was the last plasma. 64" bought in late 2013.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:54 am

The LG OLED 2017 models have dropped a lot in price. Now around $2200-2400 for the 65" model which is about $1500 less than when the same model was introduced last Spring. If you want to replace it that's what I'd get. I have the 55" model. It is the best TV we've ever owned.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:14 am

I still have a 42" Hitachi plasma in the man cave, really the teens area, that still works as well as it did new. They love it for movies and playing on the xbox. The only fault with it is that it is a pain being that its heavy! But I do agree the new TV pictures are wonderful and I'll probably upgrade in the near future.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:29 am

SurfCityBill wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:59 pm
I have had two Panasonic Plasma TV's for 7 years. Both work great. As well as the day I set them up. :D
If you set a brand new one up next to them, I think you would be shocked at how bad your picture has detoriated. So don't do that:) Plasma had great picture quality against LCDs but it was done in by size (look at the weight of a 70"+ plasma), the inability to do 4k and the fact that most people care more about cost than picture quality.

OLEDs have a better picture quality than plasmas in general. Another year or two and they will be in the very affordable range for anyone that cares about picture quality. Just hope your plasma lasts that long.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:34 am

Someone on our local Craigslist is selling a 58" Panasonic Plasma for $300. It didn't last a day. (It sold).

Our 50" plasma in the darker basement is still working great. It is a bit of an electricity hog, but it isn't used all that often. I had to move it downstairs as we get a lot of sun glare in our main living room.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:03 am

randomguy wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:29 am
OLEDs have a better picture quality than plasmas in general. Another year or two and they will be in the very affordable range for anyone that cares about picture quality. Just hope your plasma lasts that long.
I have two OLED TVs that I watch all the time, rather than my 72” LCD, whIcy seldom gets turned on. 55” and 65” OLEDs are, IMO, already affordable for people who value picture quality, but I just can’t get myself to pull the trigger on a 77” $10-15k TV.

harrington

Post by harrington » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:13 pm

I have a 58” Panasonic and a 58” Samsung plasma and I still love the picture on both.

cjcerny

Post by cjcerny » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:22 pm

Weight and heat killed plasma. OLED picture quality is even better, without either weight or heat. OLED prices will drop.

Ged

Post by Ged » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:37 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:03 am
I have two OLED TVs that I watch all the time, rather than my 72” LCD, whIcy seldom gets turned on. 55” and 65” OLEDs are, IMO, already affordable for people who value picture quality, but I just can’t get myself to pull the trigger on a 77” $10-15k TV.
I have a nice 70" LCD. While I'd love to have an OLED I'n not willing to go down in size or pay 10K. First world problems I guess.

As far as plasmas go the limited brightness was problem for me.

LG is expanding production like crazy. I hope they can come out with a 70+ OLED for 5K soon...

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:51 pm

Plasma pic quality is still unmatched excpet OLED. I have a Panasonic at home and I like to lit it up in winter season to warm up the house. Not energy efficient but cleaner than fireplace.

AKBTX14

Post by AKBTX14 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:36 pm

123 wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:42 pm
It took us awhile to figure out that the infrared heat from the plasma screen was interfering with the operation of our cable remote but we developed a work-around for that.
What is the work around remote interference? Only recently I have been experiencing lag in the remote (when DishNetwork updated its firmware on DVRs). I still have 2 plasma TVs (the largest size I could find at BestBuy in 2006 :D and then in 2010 :D respectively) .

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:44 pm

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:51 pm
Plasma pic quality is still unmatched excpet OLED. I have a Panasonic at home and I like to lit it up in winter season to warm up the house. Not energy efficient but cleaner than fireplace.
This keeps coming up in different threads. I know the early models often consumed 300+W, which is quite a bit, yet it's much less significant for newer models.

I've mentioned when it comes up on other threads, the Energy Guide Label for my ~2012 Samsung indicates an average power consumption of 110W, and I've confirmed it's actually slightly lower than that with a Kill a Watt meter.

A similar sized, brand new, LED backlit model's energy label indicates 71W.

For an OLED screen I looked up, it's 98W.

So the best case for replacing a late-model plasma TV for energy savings and heat reduction is less than replacing a single incandescent light bulb with an LED (~50W savings). If I watched 5 hours a day, I could save $6 a year by spending $700+ on a new LED backlit LCD.

Unless the fireplace is your primary heat source, it's not really a useful comparison. Heating your home with natural gas or a heatpump is cheaper than counting on heat from the TV. If you have electric baseboards, the cost is the same.

22twain

Post by 22twain » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:00 pm

StevieG72 wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:44 am

Not so great in the hot South, however...

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:50 pm

They are power hogs.
Knowledge is knowing that the Tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing better than to put the tomato in a fruit salad.

SurfCityBill

Post by SurfCityBill » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:33 pm

My 7 year old 54" plasma's show a "max" wattage consumption of 465. That is high but I still have to say the picture may not be 4K quality but it's certainly good enough for me. I really don't need to see every pore on the newscasters face. :wink:

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:39 pm

SurfCityBill wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:33 pm
My 7 year old 54" plasma's show a "max" wattage consumption of 465. That is high but I still have to say the picture may not be 4K quality but it's certainly good enough for me. I really don't need to see every pore on the newscasters face. :wink:
More likely you'd see the makeup applied with a trowel. Makeup had to change when higher resolution TVs started coming out, but some local broadcasters seemed to not have gotten the memo.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:53 pm

StevieG72 wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:44 am

If you have a heat pump it is 2-3x more efficient that using your tv as an electric bar (1 kwhr electricity = 2-3 kwhr of heat at COP of 2.0-3.0). Caveat: if external temperatures are down below 20 degrees F, that might not be true, then they would be about equal.

If you have gas it is highly likely to be less polluting and cheaper than using electricity:

- US retail natural gas prices seem to be about 25-50% of electricity prices per unit energy - say 1/3rd as a ballpark
- Furnace assumed to be 90% efficiency (even an old furnace should be 75%+)
- on pollution unless your grid electricity is cleaner than your gas furnace (that's unlikely unless you live in the Pacific NW) then it will be cleaner to generate that heat in your furnace

mrc

Post by mrc » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:22 pm

So, when will this thread appear on the board? Can I use my old plasma TV to heat the guestroom?

Our Panasonic TH42PX20 can heat the bedroom by itself. Coupled with a 300w halogen lamp and several dogs, it was like having a space heater running. I was sorry to see plasma sets be so short lived. But this thing weighs a ton. And the newer units I see in the stores look as good. When we made the purchase, this unit was head and shoulders better than the LCDs of the day.
A great challenge of life: Knowing enough to think you're doing it right, but not enough to know you're doing it wrong. — Neil deGrasse Tyson

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:52 pm

I used to work in a r & d broadband. The plasma r & d lab below us was trying to get to blue and the largest screen was 7-10 inch, whose primary market was in Abrams A1 tanks. :oops:
I bought OLED, in the early '00s and sold it when it nearly went into bkrpcy. :oops:
Old memory and technology :annoyed
Rev90517; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax 25%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:41 pm

Plasma is like the old Betamax, great technology but gone. LCD/LED is like VHS, an inferior product that gained wide acceptance.

OLED is definitely better. For sports fans, nothing beats a 10' projector screen with less judder, or a still working plasma.