Vanguard e-delivery

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
brak

Vanguard e-delivery

Post by brak » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:24 am

What are peoples' opinions of getting statements and such via Vanguard's e-delivery versus regular mail? I am being inundated by paper statements from Vanguard via regular delivery, but I only want to switch to e-delivery if it is the prudent thing to do. Thank you.

sscritic

Re: Vanguard e-delivery

Post by sscritic » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:28 am

I like paper. I just pulled out my Vanguard purchase from 1994 yesterday to check a detail. Maybe I could have gone online to find the same details, but that account doesn't exist anymore (it disappeared after I put everything in trust) and I don't own that fund anymore (I sold it all to buy a house). Can you find your records from 1994 online?

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:29 am

We MUCH prefer e-statements, etc.
We try to avoid paper copies by snail mail as much as possible.

They don't get misdelivered to neighbors.
They don't need to be shredded before disposal.

We can download all e-statements as pdf's, store them in appropriate folders, and if hard copies are ever needed, just print them out then.

Backups are critical, of course.

RM

tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:40 am

I have been using e-delivery for years.

I think it's good idea to make sure that you are consistently monitoring your email notifications if you reduce your snail mail notifications.

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:46 am

I prefer e-delivery. I store statements in an encrypted disk image, which is regularly backed up. I delete quarterly statements and only keep the year-end statement. I do find myself neglecting to download prospectuses and annual reports, but recent ones are easily available on-line.

Vanguard has a good system. Unlike some other financial companies that require you to get your statements via insecure email if you opt out of the paper.

NAVigator

Post by NAVigator » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:14 am

I prefer e-delivery for ease of storage and access.

The only time I would like physical delivery is for a Vanguard coffee mug. However, since I opted for online access, I just have to stare at it online.

Jerry
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."

rob

Post by rob » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:21 am

I far prefer estatments but hate the weasle words Vanguard has in their about what happens if they are wrong. I converted to all estmt cause I just do NOT want that type of info in my unsecure usps mailbox out the front of the house (but then in the past I have always used a PO Box to avoid that - so take that last part in that paranoid context :-) ).
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:28 am

NAVigator wrote:I prefer e-delivery for ease of storage and access.

The only time I would like physical delivery is for a Vanguard coffee mug. However, since I opted for online access, I just have to stare at it online.

Jerry

What's this about a coffee mug? I can use one, what's the deal?

e-delivery, trying it with my account while still doing paper with the DW's and our joint holdings. Only hiccup was gathering tax info and I needed to print out the end of year statements for my account. Not sure I want to continue with e-statements as I sometimes - :oops: no, always - fall behind with record keeping and having a stack of papers on my desk gets me motivated to keep up to date as opposed to having a bunch of PDF's backing up on line. Gotta do one or the other - too much confusion for me...
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:31 am

1530jesup wrote:
NAVigator wrote:The only time I would like physical delivery is for a Vanguard coffee mug. However, since I opted for online access, I just have to stare at it online.

Would you accept one by e-delivery?

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Vanguard account fees.

Post by Taylor Larimore » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:44 am

brak wrote:What are peoples' opinions of getting statements and such via Vanguard's e-delivery versus regular mail? I am being inundated by paper statements from Vanguard via regular delivery, but I only want to switch to e-delivery if it is the prudent thing to do. Thank you.

Brak:

I deal directly with Vanguard (no brokerage or outside accounts) and find their electronic delivery service easy and adequate. They send me a paper statement at year-end (I think it is required by law).

This is their fee schedule for non-brokerage accounts:
Account service fees are automatically waived when you register for secure access to our website and let us send account documents to you electronically. They're also waived for all Voyager, Voyager Select, Flagship, and Flagship Select Services clients.

If none of these apply, a $20 fee will be charged annually for each fund account in which you have a balance of less than $10,000.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

IPer

Post by IPer » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:52 am

I use Vanguard e-delivery and keep everything in Quicken so history lookups are quick and easy though I have not run into a search that hasn't given me what I needed using Vanguard online. You can always print out your statements if you really wanted to, and file them, they are the same format as what is delivered in the mail.
Read the Wiki !

camaro327

Post by camaro327 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:07 am

I like the e-delivery, since the quarterly statements get shredded when the year end arrives anyway.

BL

Post by BL » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:16 am

Do you all get paper annual statements even with e-delivery? It is not at all clear to me what you get. I would like to go down to just annual statements and 1099s but don't know if that is possible, so have held off on most of it. I wish there were a check list to select what you still want in paper.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:22 am

e-delivery. I've eliminated all paper statements from all banks, brokerages, medical insurance statements, paycheck, etc. Every several months I'll spend 30 minutes downloading all PDFs from all places into folders - everything is easy to find. I also backup all files (along with all my family photos, tax files, etc) onto a portable drive which I drop into a safety-deposit box (I have two so I swap one for the other) so I have Off-site backup without having to deal with a cloud provider. Much quicker than dealing with paper. The last time I printed my taxes was about 4 years ago as well (just save off the PDF).
I use Quicken for current information - so all up-to-date information is there anyway - statements to me are just backups or tax filing necessities.

BL's questions: I think I still got 1099's this past year. I don't recall an annual statement (although honestly - I may have gotten it and shredded). The only other paper I can't stop are the "convenience checks" a credit card company continues to send. I get all their statements electronically but they said they can't stop sending me the paper checks "in case I need them". Last use for the shredder....

S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:23 pm

sscritic wrote:
1530jesup wrote:
NAVigator wrote:The only time I would like physical delivery is for a Vanguard coffee mug. However, since I opted for online access, I just have to stare at it online.

Would you accept one by e-delivery?

perhaps, if I had a 3D printer
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:30 pm

I require paper delivery of investment records because my spouse does not use a computer.

I do receive e delivery for non-personal Vanguard information communication.
People should not say everything they think. They should think about everything they say.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:57 pm

I am in process of moving our portfolio to Vanguard. Does e-delivery mean e-delivery or do you still get a heap of regular mail?

At my current investment place I am signed up for e-everything. I periodically check the settings. Yet I continue to get bunches of regular mail.

I might transfer in $2,500 and spread it out to 3 accounts. That might generate 5-6 letters. All costing $.40+ cents.

Is this where my fees are going? :-)
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

Cottons

Post by Cottons » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:28 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Backups are critical, of course.

RM

+1

FelixTheCat

Post by FelixTheCat » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:50 pm

e-delivery for me; I can print my statements if I wanted. I do get the annual statement from Vanguard in paper.
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.

FelixTheCat

Post by FelixTheCat » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:51 pm

bloom2708 wrote:I am in process of moving our portfolio to Vanguard. Does e-delivery mean e-delivery or do you still get a heap of regular mail?

At my current investment place I am signed up for e-everything. I periodically check the settings. Yet I continue to get bunches of regular mail.

I might transfer in $2,500 and spread it out to 3 accounts. That might generate 5-6 letters. All costing $.40+ cents.

Is this where my fees are going? :-)

I have my account set up as e-delivery. I only get an annual statement in paper.
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.

sls239

Post by sls239 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:53 pm

Does e-delivery mean e-delivery or do you still get a heap of regular mail?

They send you regular mail when you make certain changes, like your address. They will send one letter to the old address and one to the new address.

I'm chuckling at the question if I have any e-statements from 1994. I was 14, so no, no e-statements. I would think it would take a very large fire safe to protect 2 decades worth of paper documents.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:57 pm

I opt to get my year-end-statements via mail and the rest via e-delivery. I file the paper year-end statements in a binder for possible future reference (have them back to the beginning of my Vanguard investing in the 1980s).
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

Austintatious

Post by Austintatious » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:15 pm

Let's get to the important stuff, here. If brak opts for e-delivery, aren't all us Vanguard clients, brak included, the beneficiaries of the cost savings? Presumably, the more we embrace e-delivery in lieu of paper, the more Vanguard's administrative costs go down. So, maybe brak goes with e-delivery today and TSM goes to an ER of .04% tomorrow. Well, it could happen. And, yes, brak, e-delivery is the superior way, IMO, for all the reasons posted here.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:37 pm

sls239 wrote:
I would think it would take a very large fire safe to protect 2 decades worth of paper documents.
All my Vanguard year-end statements since 1990 take up less than two 3" binders (HSA, 529, and lots of other documentation are in there too). Both binders take up about 1/3 of a very small fire safe.

Edit: Changed 5" to 3" and "the '80s" to 1990 when I took them out to look at them.
Last edited by FrugalInvestor on Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:55 pm

sls239 wrote: I would think it would take a very large fire safe to protect 2 decades worth of paper documents.

No larger than the fire safe you keep your computer in.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:59 pm

and neither the paper nor the computer will survive a good house fire in a "fireproof" safe.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

cfs

Post by cfs » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:04 pm

Good subject

Add this writer to those who prefer the e-delivery. Vanguard sends me an email, I go to the website, copy the statement to my computer, from there I pass a copy to my portable drive and my external hard drive. And for the tax season Vanguard sends me the annual information via the USPS. No problems.

Do Great Things! And thanks for reading my note.
~ DONATING MEMBER ~

Finridge

Post by Finridge » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:06 am

jebmke wrote:
Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:59 pm
and neither the paper nor the computer will survive a good house fire in a "fireproof" safe.
No, but the encrypted backup drive kept at the office will.

I get paper deliver and also download the statements to my computer.

Monster99

Post by Monster99 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:17 pm

sls239 wrote:
Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:53 pm
They send you regular mail when you make certain changes, like your address. They will send one letter to the old address and one to the new address.

I'm chuckling at the question if I have any e-statements from 1994. I was 14, so no, no e-statements. I would think it would take a very large fire safe to protect 2 decades worth of paper documents.
Actually, not that much space is needed - they used to send a year-end statement that contained all the transactions for the year and you just shred the quarterly statements. Now with brokerage system, that seems to have gone away....

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:43 pm

Monster99 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:17 pm
sls239 wrote:
Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:53 pm

Actually, not that much space is needed - they used to send a year-end statement that contained all the transactions for the year and you just shred the quarterly statements. Now with brokerage system, that seems to have gone away....
And they still do for those like me who have stayed with just mutual fund accounts (and the old statements). My two 3" binders contain year-end Vanguard statements for every year between 1990 and 2016 showing all transactions - plus CD statements, 529 statements and Social Security statements.

I'm very pleased that I've remained with the old system but it was only because I had no use for a brokerage account and wanted to keep things as simple as possible.

Post by 2015 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:55 pm

Just about everything I do is digital. Paper of any kind is a nuisance to me, something to be opened, handled, filed, stored, shredded, recycled. Physical handling is space-hoarding while access is space-freeing (and freeing in other ways as well). Access leads to efficiency, greater effectiveness, coupled with a tendency to focus on higher value adding activities

VG's e-delivery has been excellent.