TV show recommendations?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
MJW

Re: TV show recommendations?

Post by MJW » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:33 am

Last night I wrapped up Season One of "The Man in the High Castle" on Amazon Prime. Prior to the last episode I wasn't sure if I would continue with the series (the show's protagonists are cringe-worthy at times), but then that ending....

Spouse and I have steadily been making our way through "The West Wing" on Netflix and are about to begin the seventh and final season. Neither of us had watched the show when it originally aired. It's been fun.

woof755

Post by woof755 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:50 am

Netflix's Mindhunter is very good. Well written and acted, and it is taking its time. The interviews with serial killers are extremely well done. Based on a true story of FBI serial killer researchers.

Better Call Saul
Breaking Bad
Game of Thrones
Narcos !!!!!!!!!
The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
"By singing in harmony from the same page of the same investing hymnal, the Diehards drown out market noise." | | --Jason Zweig, quoted in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing

Denver5280

Post by Denver5280 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:09 am

Stranger Things

RustyShackleford

Post by RustyShackleford » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:52 pm

I just did a trial account at Hulu, in order to watch "The Handmaid's Tale". It is excellent, and as timely as today's headlines (as the saying goes). The lead actress, Elisabeth Moss, who was good in "West Wing" and great in "Madmen", is astonishing in this; I've never seen an actor do as good a job acting with facial expressions alone.

But browsing around Hulu, I rediscovered an old show that I watched on ABC 20years ago: "Murder One". It is one of, if not the, first show to use an entire season to tell a story. Way before it's time. And holds up amazingly well, though the music is way overdone, an ailment that plagues many otherwise decent shows to this day. The show is from the Bochco/Milch braintrust most noted for "NYPD Blue". It concerns the high-profile murder trial of a young actor for raping and murdering a 15yo girl. The acting and writing are very good.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:19 pm

As good as Elizabeth Moss is with her facial expressions,Winona Ryder is equally bad with hers in Stranger Things.Just horrible,but the show is excellent outside of her.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

pondering

Post by pondering » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:30 am

You can watch Warren Buffett on my favorite TV show, CBS Sunday Morning:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/lessons-fr ... -hathaway/
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:43 am

I've always watched Cash Cab. The last episode was 2012.

It's back tonight, December 4, for a new season. Ben Bailey is back, but they're introducing guest celebrities. Why mess with a good show?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/ ... 841677001/

mxs

Post by mxs » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:38 am

Another vote for "The Man in the High Castle" an Amazon show. In short, a hypothetical show of if the Allies lost WW2 and the US was split east of the Rockies controlled by the Nazis, West of the Rockies controlled by Japan, and a neutral zone in the Rockies with some remaining resistance. There is some more things going on of course, as is revealed watching the show. Very good, I highly recommend. I am looking forward to reading the book which was written in the 60's I believe.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:58 pm

Just finished watching Wanted on Netflix.I guess it was the number 1 watched drama in Australia.Two seasons,6 episodes each.Pretty good.
However,I feel very guilty making this post.On another thread,one of the premier bogleheads said that tv is passive,addictive and unsatisfying.Since then I have struggled to pick up my remote :D

AlwaysaQ

Post by AlwaysaQ » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:39 pm

Finished another re-watch of Person of Interest; my favorite show in years. The last episode is tough to take. Also finished re-watching Justified seasons 1 and 2 and now to watch the last 4 seasons that I have not yet seen. Don't have Netflix or Amazon Prime or HBO and I don't really have a contemporary show that excites me.

Hoops777 - I think you forgot to put in a smilie.

p14175

Post by p14175 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:45 pm

American Ninja Warriors -- those people are amazing!

MJW

Post by MJW » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:05 pm

Solo viewing:
-- Just wrapped up Season 1 of Bosch. Will watch Season 2.
-- Going to start Season 5 of the Americans.

With Spouse:
-- Watching Season 7 of The West Wing.
-- Almost through Season 2 of Stranger Things. (No one can believe that we've spaced out our viewing vs. binge-watching)
-- Arrested Development - not sure where we are but serves as good filler when we don't want to commit to an hour-long show and are tired enough from the work day that we just want to laugh at dumb stuff.

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:12 pm

mxs wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:38 am
Another vote for "The Man in the High Castle" an Amazon show. In short, a hypothetical show of if the Allies lost WW2 and the US was split east of the Rockies controlled by the Nazis, West of the Rockies controlled by Japan, and a neutral zone in the Rockies with some remaining resistance. There is some more things going on of course, as is revealed watching the show. Very good, I highly recommend. I am looking forward to reading the book which was written in the 60's I believe.
I had no idea what this was about, now that I know WW2 is involved it's going on ASAP! Thanks
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:13 pm

MJW wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:05 pm
Solo viewing:
-- Just wrapped up Season 1 of Bosch. Will watch Season 2.
-- Going to start Season 5 of the Americans.

With Spouse:
-- Watching Season 7 of The West Wing.
-- Almost through Season 2 of Stranger Things. (No one can believe that we've spaced out our viewing vs. binge-watching)
-- Arrested Development - not sure where we are but serves as good filler when we don't want to commit to an hour-long show and are tired enough from the work day that we just want to laugh at dumb stuff.
I love Arrested Development.
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:31 pm

A couple of new shows.The Good Doctor about a young autistic resident who is being guided by one of my favorite old West Wing actors,Richard Schiff.Gifted which is about mutants.Very good if you like the X-Men type stuff.

Dontwasteit

Post by Dontwasteit » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:34 am

Vikings (History channel)! Great show.

bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:40 am

I know this is gonna get a big laugh and raise some eyebrows:

I still watch Gunsmoke and The Lone Ranger.

Ok, go ahead and laugh!!

Have a great day BH’ers.

Don

BrianMc

Post by BrianMc » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:15 pm

I just finished the first season of “Mindhunter” on Netflix. It details the beginnings of the FBI’s Behavioral Science Unit (think “Silence of the Lambs” and “Criminal Minds”). No doubt in my mind this series will last several seasons. Fantastic show that you’ll likely binge watch.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:00 pm

We just picked up Starz on a special. My wife seems to like outlander. I watched a little and lost interest. I did watch Girlfriend Experience. Definitely not for the kids! :D Really an odd but strangely intriguing show, even getting past the explicit content.

gips

Post by gips » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:28 pm

we've been watching a lot of good Scandinavian noir:
wallander
trapped
occupied
nobel

also, have liked:
hostages
fauda

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:49 am

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (BBC America / Netflix)

TV Series is loosely based around new stories surrounding the title character from the Douglas Adams books.
It's a quirky kind of sci-fi, not a comedy but not not-funny ... There are similarities to the Dr.Who series, if you're a fan of Dr.Who you'll probably enjoy Dirk Gently.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

Drovor

Post by Drovor » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:02 am

Friday Night Lights
Sons of Anarchy
Bones
Prison Break
Sleepy Hollow
Lost

Current shows:
The Walking Dead
Lethal Weapon
The Good Doctor
The Good Place
Scorpion
Timeline
Big Bang Theory - not caught up with the show but have watched several episodes when we see it on.

mancich

Post by mancich » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:09 am

Curb Your Enthusiasm. Seasons 1-8 are free on Prime. Very funny show, but not appropriate when the kids are around.