What does Medicare cover for oversea retirees?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
WhiteMaxima

What does Medicare cover for oversea retirees?

Post by WhiteMaxima » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:14 pm

What does Medicare cover for oversea retirees? Emergency care, transfer back to US soil? Should one purchase private insurance during stay abroad? Any retiree live oversea please share your story. Thanks.

adamthesmythe

Re: What does Medicare cover for oversea retirees?

Post by adamthesmythe » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:19 pm

SOME Medicare supplement plans cover some amount of international emergency care. As far as I know transfer to the US is not covered.

Personally I would feel the need for coverage of transfer to the US only if I was traveling to a part of the world with marginal medical care.

If living more or less permanently overseas you would want to have coverage in your country of residence. That may or may not be practical or available.

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:12 pm

The F high deductible covers up to $50k of foreign emergency care last I looked. I think that also applies to the regular F, which is going away.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:17 pm

CSR credit card covers transfer back to US and some emergency care. But its for travelers booking with their card.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:10 pm

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:14 pm
What does Medicare cover for oversea retirees? Emergency care, transfer back to US soil? Should one purchase private insurance during stay abroad? Any retiree live oversea please share your story. Thanks.
I think the short answer is https://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/11037 ... d-Stat.pdf

obgraham

Post by obgraham » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:18 pm

The short answer, though there are exceptions, is that Medicare does not pay outside the USA. The supplement plans may pick up some of the charges, but you'll have to front the charges yourself. No doctor in New Zealand is going to want to bill your supplement carrier.

MedEvac insurance is rather inexpensive. If you travel a lot, it's well worth the cost. Mine will bring me back home for anything requiring inpatient hospitalization.

friar1610

Post by friar1610 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:18 pm

I realize this probably applies to only a very small percentage of BHs, but...

If you are entitled to Tricare for Life, the Government-paid supplement to Medicare for military retirees and their spouses, it will pay for medical treatment outside the US. You have to pay the overseas provider and retain the receipts and then file with Tricare. I don't believe it covers any transportation back to the US.
Friar1610

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:34 pm

TheGreyingDuke wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:12 pm
The F high deductible covers up to $50k of foreign emergency care last I looked. I think that also applies to the regular F, which is going away.
F is not "going away" but will not be offered to new enrollees. Ditto for F HD.
Be advised that the $50K of foreign emergency care is the lifetime maximum. There is a $250 deductible separate from any other (Medicare or F-HD) deductible. Also, the eligible, emergency care must be started in the first 60 days of a trip outside the US. So not a real option for someone who plans to live part/much of the year overseas.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:02 pm

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:17 pm
CSR credit card covers transfer back to US and some emergency care. But its for travelers booking with their card.
Yes, and it also and a fairly short duration. It’s oriented toward vacationers, not expats.
You can buy a global policy from a few providers, Blue Cross Worldwide is one, since Medicare won’t pay. Also recommend a good medevac policy, like what is offered at MedJetAssist. Best one I’ve found as they will medevac to a place in the U.S. of your choosing, not merely some other international destination that is determined to be OK for treatment.