Cat sitter info

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
tc101

Cat sitter info

Post by tc101 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:07 am

I will be traveling and need someone I can trust to come to my house every day and feed the cat and clean the cat box. How would I find someone good? What would I expect to pay?
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.

Sandtrap

Re: Cat sitter info

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:22 am

Craigslist, ask neighbors, HOA community newsletter, bulletin boards at nearby stores and pet stores. House-sitters.
Our horses tolerate our absence to some degree but the thought of leaving my best furry friends alone is difficult.😿😹

Gill

Post by Gill » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:26 am

Google "National Association of Professional Pet Sitters".
Gill

stats99

Post by stats99 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:27 am

Try Rover.com, I think they have cat sitters as well as dog sitters

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:33 am

tc101 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:07 am
I will be traveling and need someone I can trust to come to my house every day and feed the cat and clean the cat box. How would I find someone good? What would I expect to pay?
When we had warm fuzzies, we asked at the Vet.

Sometimes there were vet techs who also did pet-sitting.
They were ideal; they already new the little critters, and would also be well prepared in case of a problem, or just to notice if something seemed "off".

Next best, ask if anyone at the Vet office knows of someone else who does this.
They may be familiar with some who bring in pets for the owners, and have a sense of who is "good", etc.

Or recommendations from friends, in terms of sitters they have actually used.

Have you considered a house-sitter who can also take care of the warm fuzzies?

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

carolc

Post by carolc » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:38 am

Another vote for checking with your vet’s office. That is how we found our cat sitter/vet tech. Our cats had medical issues so we needed expertise with giving pills and twice daily insulin shots. $40. a visit but they were well cared for.

carolc

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:39 am

Ideally, you'd choose someone you know -- preferably another cat owner. When I had a cat, I had a deal with one of my neighbors; I'd take care of her cat when she was gone, and she'd take care of ours when we were gone. There are also lots of under-employed teenagers and college students hanging around home this time of year, which is a great option especially if you know their parents well and know the parents will make sure they actually do the job. Alternatively, I would call my vet and ask for a referral to one of the commercial services or to a self-employed cat sitter. Expect to pay them $10-20/day to come by once, do a welfare check, empty the litter box, and feed/water.

tc101

Post by tc101 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:42 am

Expect to pay them $10-20/day to come by once, do a welfare check, empty the litter box, and feed/water.
Is that about what other people here have paid?
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.

riverguy

Post by riverguy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:43 am

How long are you going to be gone and how many cats do you have? A cat can easily go a week without being checked on if you leave enough water out.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:54 am

Find a neighborhood kid (and her/his parent) 10+yrs old. Younger kids are usually happy with $5 per visit. Parents supervisor the operation and can takeover if a problem arises. If your cat doesn't pig out on dry food, you should probably only need someone to stop by every other day or so. Make sure to leave a back up key, incase they get locked out.

mouses

Post by mouses » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:56 am

Rupert wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:39 am
Ideally, you'd choose someone you know -- preferably another cat owner. When I had a cat, I had a deal with one of my neighbors; I'd take care of her cat when she was gone, and she'd take care of ours when we were gone.
This is what I did when I traveled. I would not trust anyone that I did not know very well, call me a paranoid cat parent. However, now that I have a vet with several vet techs, I would trust the ones I know pretty well. Still a week away was the most I would do.

My cats never did well by themselves when I was away. If I left them with extra food and no one stopping by for a weekend, I would come home to their having thrown up and emotionally distressed. Not in a million years would I leave them by themselves for a week.

3feetpete

Post by 3feetpete » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:20 pm

I pay $20 per visit in Annapolis Md Daughter pays $10 per visit in Kansas City MO

white_water

Post by white_water » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:31 pm

Due diligence and get references.

mrc

Post by mrc » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:33 pm

We boarded our cat rather than having someone stop by. The stress of being left alone and visited by a stranger balanced out the stress of being boarded. Techs played with the cat (she was friendly and exhibited somewhat atypical catness). Also on the up side, there were no—how do I put it—signs of stress relief anywhere in the house when we returned. No need to visit-proof the house either.
A great challenge of life: Knowing enough to think you're doing it right, but not enough to know you're doing it wrong. — Neil deGrasse Tyson

sport

Post by sport » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:46 pm

mrc wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:33 pm
We boarded our cat rather than having someone stop by.
This is what we did when we had a cat.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:53 pm

Years ago - we checked up on some friends' cats when they were away. Not a cat person, but those cats were Siamese - and I think there may be some significant differences in behavior of Siamese vs "regular" house cats.

riverguy

Post by riverguy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:06 pm

mouses wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:56 am
Rupert wrote:
Ideally, you'd choose someone you know -- preferably another cat owner. When I had a cat, I had a deal with one of my neighbors; I'd take care of her cat when she was gone, and she'd take care of ours when we were gone.
This is what I did when I traveled. I would not trust anyone that I did not know very well, call me a paranoid cat parent. However, now that I have a vet with several vet techs, I would trust the ones I know pretty well. Still a week away was the most I would do.

My cats never did well by themselves when I was away. If I left them with extra food and no one stopping by for a weekend, I would come home to their having thrown up and emotionally distressed. Not in a million years would I leave them by themselves for a week.
You have some needy cats then. Leaving cats alone with no human contact for a weekend should be absolutely no problem.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:07 pm

tc101 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:07 am
It can be difficult to find someone you don't know that you can trust with your pet and your house. It is best to get someone you know to do it (friend, neighbor, relative) or else to get someone you know (friend, vet) to refer you to someone reliable. A neighbor with pets may be willing to do it and you can do the same for them.

Cats do not like to stay in a cage in a facility or to be moved to a new place even temporarily. They are very sensitive and can take quite a while to get over that kind of trauma.

You might even consider having someone stay in your house while you are gone as both house and pet sitter. I have been doing this for long-term friends for several years now even though it involves a multi-hour flight. I spend several days with them before or after they travel and enjoy doing things in the area they live in while they are gone. It's a vacation for me, too. Maybe you could find a friend or relative who would be willing to do that for you.

vinnydabody

Post by vinnydabody » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:08 pm

fortfun wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:54 am
Find a neighborhood kid (and her/his parent) 10+yrs old. Younger kids are usually happy with $5 per visit. Parents supervisor the operation and can takeover if a problem arises. If your cat doesn't pig out on dry food, you should probably only need someone to stop by every other day or so. Make sure to leave a back up key, incase they get locked out.
This. Our kid's good friend from school lives around the corner and they have two cats at home. He comes around once a day to scoop the litter and refill food and water (and sometimes will hang out and pet the cat a while if she shows herself). $5 a day and works great. His mom stays on top of him to make sure he doesn't forget.

lostinjersey

Post by lostinjersey » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:45 pm

We do this. Neighbor 16-year-old comes over every day. $10/day in a MCOL. Easy peasy.

Nextdoor is another reference (I didn't read all the replies to see if it's been mentioned already).

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:15 pm

riverguy wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:06 pm
mouses wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:56 am
Rupert wrote:

You have some needy cats then. Leaving cats alone with no human contact for a weekend should be absolutely no problem.
I don't think it's necessarily an issue of needy cats, but rather cats being creatures of habit. Disruptions in their routine (however insignificant it might seem to humans) may be upsetting to them.

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:26 pm

This thread is locked. I've had to remove offensive posts and posts responding to the offensive post.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi