New Chromebook user, loving it, quick question

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
LuigiLikesPizza

New Chromebook user, loving it, quick question

Post by LuigiLikesPizza » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:31 am

I'm a longtime MacBook person and did not realize until getting this new Chromebook, how much I use the simple, but much loved feature of the Notepad. I loved to cut and paste notes into that thing while web browsing.

I have tried to find a similar feature on this machine, but none so far. I googled (ha!) and it looks like different use of the word Note - in Chrome land - is some kind of text editor.

Not looking for that, just a digital notepad on the "hard drive"?

Maybe there's an app for that? LOL

C4NT

Re: New Chromebook user, loving it, quick question

Post by C4NT » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:10 am

The Google app Keep is a good choice. You can find it by clicking the app menu on the top right in your chrome browser.

MossySF

Post by MossySF » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:36 am

Chrome Web store has text editor apps.

LuigiLikesPizza

Post by LuigiLikesPizza » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:05 am

Thank you, I will seek the app.

I wasn't looking to edit text, I was looking for a temporary stashing place for making a note - like cutting and pasting a recipe I find online, as one example.....without it, I'd end up with a million bookmarks. lol

IowaFarmBoy

Post by IowaFarmBoy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:14 am

I use Evernote for notes, to do lists, keeping lists of addresses, etc. It's not on the hard drive, though, but I view that as an advantage since I can access it from my phone, desktop and Chromebook.

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:40 am

LuigiLikesPizza wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:05 am
Thank you, I will seek the app.

I wasn't looking to edit text, I was looking for a temporary stashing place for making a note - like cutting and pasting a recipe I find online, as one example.....without it, I'd end up with a million bookmarks. lol
There are lots of offline text editors and sticky-note applications. From what it sounds like you're doing, you might check out the "Note Board" app extension https://www.noteboardapp.com/
It has some features that are kind of handy to just highlight text or right click and and post as text or a thumbnail image and web link on your 'Note Board'
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

GDBryan

Post by GDBryan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:22 am

+1 for the Keep app. I like it because whatever I put there - lists, notes, etc. - will also show up in my Android phone.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:35 am

GDBryan wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:22 am
+1 for the Keep app. I like it because whatever I put there - lists, notes, etc. - will also show up in my Android phone.
+2 for Keep

you can cut/paste the usual way into keep, but a more convenient way for me on a chrome book is right click (2-finger tap on touchpad) to bring down a menu that has a option to "save to keep."

Then I have the copy of the email, coupon, etc in keep automatically available wherever I have Keep installed.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:03 am

You need to be connected to the web, but I use Google Docs for things like this:

https://docs.google.com

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:07 am

inbox788 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:03 am
You need to be connected to the web, but I use Google Docs for things like this:

+1

You have Google Docs right there. Use the "Word" equivalent. Make as many note type documents as you want. They are automatically saved on your Google cloud drive.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

happenstance

Post by happenstance » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:18 pm

inbox788 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:03 am

Docs does have offline support, which works pretty well on Chromebooks. You just need to have the extension installed into Chrome.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:42 pm

C4NT wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:10 am
The Google app Keep is a good choice. You can find it by clicking the app menu on the top right in your chrome browser.
Keep is a very simple, but wonderful App. Use it on my phone all of the time.

Grocery shopping lists, notes, etc.

azurekep

Post by azurekep » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:49 pm

Notepad applications on any OS are great.

It always bewilders me why people drag out Word just to type a shopping list. Or draft a message before posting it online. The latter is sometimes amusing since not only does it take time to fire up Word (and who has time?), but sometimes in the cut-and-pasting, extraneous characters get included in the post. At best, the extraneous characters are ugly. At worst, they can interfere with the forum software and block access to the thread.

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:51 pm

There's a Chrome app called 'Text' that is a simple, offline, text editor as well:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... dkjmjhdgbg

Works great, it has features aimed at someone writing scripts or HTML, but if you turn off the 'auto indent' it makes a fine text editor that works offline and can save to the local drive.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

bogleblitz

Post by bogleblitz » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:52 pm

I used chromebook, windows, mac. I agree mac notepad is great.

Everything already mentioned (google keep, google doc, evernote) works great. I'm using all 3 for various reasons.