Annoying Ads when turning on Galaxy S7 smartphone

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
PriceOfFreedom

Annoying Ads when turning on Galaxy S7 smartphone

Post by PriceOfFreedom » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:50 am

Hello Bogleheads,

In the past few days, I keep getting ads on my initial screen after I turn on my Galaxy S7 smartphone (Verizon is the carrier).

When I click the >">" at the top right of the ad (which occupies the power portion of my screen), I get "Ads by Google".

To get past the ad, I have to swipe right and then I get the usual initial screen which allows me to enter my security pattern to access the phone resources.

I am not aware of anything I have done to precipitate this other that downloading a "free" HP67 calculator app a few days ago and a "Wion" app that I needed to install in order to control some WiFi-enabled outdoor timers I purchased from Amazon (which, incidentally, work great).

Any idea how I make these unwanted ads on phone turn-on go away?

brad.clarkston

Re: Annoying Ads when turning on Galaxy S7 smartphone

Post by brad.clarkston » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:56 am

Go into your settings and then "Notifications" and open the two new apps and turn on "Block All" notifications and reboot the phone.
Does that fix the issue?

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:10 am

Turn off notifications for those two apps you installed.

If it just started happening, then it is likely one of those two applications.

Oops. Previous posted the same thing before me.

My wife's parents are notorious for installing an app that either drains the battery or lobs notifications at them all day. I ask if they installed anything. They say no. Then I look at the phone apps and see the offending app. Oh well, I did install that one. :wink:
Last edited by bloom2708 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

PriceOfFreedom

Post by PriceOfFreedom » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:11 am

Hi Brad,

Thank you for the suggestion. I have just done this, but as the ad screen only comes on if the phone has been off for a few hours, I will have to wait a while to see if this worked. In settings, I have also blocked notifications from something called "AllShare Cast Dongle SW". Let's see if these actions do the trick.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:13 am

The AllShare app isn't the culprit. I'm not aware of any way in which it's actually useful, but it's preloaded on all Samsung phones and does not cause lockscreen or notification shade ads.

Afty

Post by Afty » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:55 am

I wonder if you have installed an app that comes with lock screen ads: https://www.engadget.com/2017/12/01/goo ... creen-ads/

They take over your lock screen and display ads on them. Google is cracking down on them, but I doubt they will actively remove such apps from your device.

This quote from the article seems relevant:
Users noted that even smartphone manufacturers like Samsung have pre-installed apps that exhibited the behavior.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:11 pm

It's stories like this that make me thankful that I have a Pixel.
I eat risk for breakfast. :)