What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
travellight

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by travellight » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:37 pm

fareastwarriors wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:11 pm
For California residents to get a companion pass after making only 1 purchase...
https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/southw ... PMEM171019

the offer details state:
Only the individual who received this email/offer from Southwest Airlines® is eligible for this promotion. Offer is nontransferable.

However, some people in the comments of travel/points blogs reported the deal is applicable to all Cali residents...I'm going to wait a few days to get confirmation/more data points before I apply.
I assume 5/24 applies to this?

travellight

Post by travellight » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:39 pm

beehappy wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:30 pm
travellight wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:13 am
beehappy wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:40 am
Drew777 wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:47 am
beehappy wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:16 pm
Thanks for all the helpful responses to my prior question. I have another one: thinking of getting Delta platinum card which comes with 10k qualifying miles to help me make the next Skymiles level. Delta says that miles are credited 6-8 weeks after minimum spend. If I want the MQMs to be counted as part of my 2017 MQMs, do I need to make sure they're credited in 2017, or do I just need to make sure I meet the min spend in 2017? In other words, if I'm 10k miles short of Gold status and I spend the $3k in 2017, but Delta doesn't credit till 2018, do they still pull me to Gold?
The MQM would need to actually be credited to your Delta frequent flyer account in 2017.
Thanks. Does same rule apply to MQMs from flights? So if I flew with Delta on Dec. 30, and miles post on January 3, would those miles count toward 2017 MQM progress?
I think it is not enough to meet the mqm threshold of 25k; you also have to spend 3k on Delta flights or fly 30 segments.
I've met all the other requirements, except for MQMs.
I would definitely go for it then! I haven't spent $3000 in Delta or I would do the same. It's a double edged sword; due to credit card strategies, I fly almost for free so I don't have that expenditure. I would call them and ask this directly and I personally wouldn't cut it so close to 12/30.

fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:23 pm

travellight wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:37 pm
fareastwarriors wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:11 pm
For California residents to get a companion pass after making only 1 purchase...
https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/southw ... PMEM171019

the offer details state:
Only the individual who received this email/offer from Southwest Airlines® is eligible for this promotion. Offer is nontransferable.

However, some people in the comments of travel/points blogs reported the deal is applicable to all Cali residents...I'm going to wait a few days to get confirmation/more data points before I apply.
I assume 5/24 applies to this?
Yes.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-52 ... need-know/

giesen5

Post by giesen5 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:01 pm

ChicagoSparty

Post by ChicagoSparty » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:52 pm

Started reading the Reddit credit card churning board a month ago and have been dabbling in some different strategies. Mostly formulating future plans for credit cards.

Until recently my spending has been on the Chase Freedom Unlimited 1.5% cash back card. 2 weeks ago I got the Chase Sapphire Preferred to get the $625 travel credit (this must be used in the Chase portal). There is no fee for the first year then $95 a year after the first year. I plan to switch this card into a regular Freedom card before the annual fee hits. This will not show up on my credit report as a canceled card, which will be nice.

Looking to scoop up the AMEX Platinum if I can get the 100k signup bonus.

LuigiLikesPizza

Post by LuigiLikesPizza » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:10 am

I write a big rent check every month. My apartment management accepts credit cards @ 2.25% for Visa, 3% for Amex.

I'm not angling for any bonuses right now, but trying to think of a scenario where it might be a net gain to pay by credit card.

I have Amex Blue Business, but that would a loss I think since that only pays 2% cash back.

I have the Citi Access More which pays out at 3%, but my understanding is they reject any rent charges (not sure how they know, but my understanding is that they do).

Does anyone else see a way I could work this to my favor using a credit card? thanks

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:36 am

ChicagoSparty wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:52 pm
2 weeks ago I got the Chase Sapphire Preferred to get the $625 travel credit (this must be used in the Chase portal). There is no fee for the first year then $95 a year after the first year.
I think what you got was a welcome bonus of 50,000 Ultimate Rewards points which can be redeemed one of three ways:
1. A $500 statement credit.
2. $625 worth of purchases through the Chase travel portal.
3. Transfer the 50,000 points to an airline frequent flyer program where the 50,000 miles would be worth about $750.

Chase Sapphire Preferred does not have a travel credit as such. The Chase Sapphire Reserve ($450 annual fee) has a $300 travel credit in addition to the 50,000 point welcome bonus.

Da5id

Post by Da5id » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:46 am

LuigiLikesPizza wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:10 am
I write a big rent check every month. My apartment management accepts credit cards @ 2.25% for Visa, 3% for Amex.

I'm not angling for any bonuses right now, but trying to think of a scenario where it might be a net gain to pay by credit card.

I have Amex Blue Business, but that would a loss I think since that only pays 2% cash back.

I have the Citi Access More which pays out at 3%, but my understanding is they reject any rent charges (not sure how they know, but my understanding is that they do).

Does anyone else see a way I could work this to my favor using a credit card? thanks
Other than sign up bonus, which you aren't looking for, seems tough. If you are eligible for the 2.5% rewards USAA Visa that does the trick on an ongoing basis, but requires some qualifications (military) and hoops ($1000/month electronic deposit to your checking).

SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:16 am

LuigiLikesPizza wrote:

You could use a debit card that earns rewards/miles to purchase money orders at the post office. Then use those money orders to pay your rent.

-Steph

ZinCO

Post by ZinCO » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:08 am

LuigiLikesPizza wrote:

Access More still works with Plastiq for mortgage payments, despite their policy of disallowing points for that. Don't know about rent though. BofA Travel Rewards with Platinum status will get you 2.625% on your rent; while the card has no fee, it may not be worth getting it just to pocket the difference. Personally I probably would.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:09 am

LuigiLikesPizza wrote:

Alliant Credit Union has a Visa signature card which earns 3% in the first year and 2.5% after that. There is a $59 annual fee, which is waived in the first year. Reports on myFICO forum and other similar places is that Alliant has very strict underwriting rules, so it's a difficult card to qualify for, but it's at least available nationwide instead of just limited availability like the USAA 2.5% card. Here's Alliant's page on the signature card: http://www.alliantcreditunion.org/bank/ ... ature-card

SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:37 am

Anyone have suggestions for a good sign-on bonus? The flights I want are $1500 in May on either Delta or Air France. For whatever reason, Delta doesn't have any award tickets so I need a card with points vs SkyMiles. I was thinking about the Amex Platinum but it would only save me ~$500 on the airfare once I take the annual fee into account. That puts it neck and neck with the B of A Premium travel card. I'm at 4/24 but I've already had the CSR. Any other ideas?

-Steph

jriding

Post by jriding » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:06 am

Question for those of you playing the Chase Ultimate Rewards game:

We've accumulated ~200,000 UR points that we don't plan to spend until Fall 2018 (for 3-4 Spring 2019 tickets to Europe). I've consolidated all of the UR points into a single account and plan to start cancelling the annual fee cards that we churned to obtain the UR points, which include two Ink and two Sapphire Preferred accounts. I was planning to convert one of the Sapphire Preferred cards to Freedom Unlimited and keep the points on that account.

The problem with this plan is that when we redeem the points next Fall, if we spend the points inside the UR travel portal I'll lose the 25% point bonus offered by Sapphire Preferred, equivalent to giving up $500.

So my question is: Should I hang on to one of the Sapphire Preferred accounts and pay the $99 annual fee to preserve the bonus? Or should I convert to the Freedom Unlimited card and reapply for the Sapphire Preferred (or perhaps the Reserve?) next summer and move my points to that account to get the bonus?

Side note 1: Me and DW churned the Sapphire Reserve cards in 2015-16. We're only at three cards over the past two years so the 5/24 rule shouldn't be an issue
Side note 2: Our primary card is the Alliant Signature card, 3% on all purchases for the first year, 2.5% for $59/year thereafter. This is good enough for me and I'm not interested in using a Chase card as primary.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:18 am

jriding wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:06 am
Should I hang on to one of the Sapphire Preferred accounts and pay the $99 annual fee to preserve the bonus?
Do this.

drk

Post by drk » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:25 am

jriding wrote:
plan to start cancelling the annual fee cards
For the excess personal cards, I would downgrade to Freedom cards rather than cancelling. Chase lets you have multiple, which means multiplying the spending you can do in their quarterly bonus categories. With the Ink Preferred, I assume you've considered the cell phone insurance.

Anyway, I would hold onto one "premium" card with the ability to transfer just in case Chase ever decides to stop letting people transfer from cash-back UR cards to travel ones.

curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:21 pm

jriding wrote:
Question for those of you playing the Chase Ultimate Rewards game:
We've accumulated ~200,000 UR points that we don't plan to spend until Fall 2018 (for 3-4 Spring 2019 tickets to Europe). I've consolidated all of the UR points into a single account and plan to start cancelling the annual fee cards that we churned to obtain the UR points, which include two Ink and two Sapphire Preferred accounts. I was planning to convert one of the Sapphire Preferred cards to Freedom Unlimited and keep the points on that account.
If you are flying from Denver, you could consider just dumping all the points into United miles. That would give you access to United and Lufthansa flights. And maybe before you go you could pick up the United Explorer card for more miles. I would check on flight availability with United miles on the routes you are considering (for 2018 flights) to get at least an idea of what you might be able to find the following year.

shariq1989

Post by shariq1989 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:28 pm

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:18 am
jriding wrote:
Should I hang on to one of the Sapphire Preferred accounts and pay the $99 annual fee to preserve the bonus?
Do this.
I would call the Chase retention line and ask to see what they will offer you to keep the card. There are Flyertalk.com threads on this. Sometimes they will offer you a hundred dollar statement credit to keep the card. I did this with my Arrival+ card.

jriding

Post by jriding » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:31 pm

UpperNwGuy, drk, curmudgeon, shariq1989:

Thank you for your excellent ideas.

Plan A: Keep the Sapphire card for now (one year anniversary isn't until July 2018) and "mock-cancel" in June to see if I can get a statement credit incentive to keep the card for another year.
Plan B: Transfer the miles to United (assuming they offer favorable routes) and cancel Sapphire.
Plan C: Pay the annual fee in exchange for the 25% bonus and cancel after the miles are used up.

Ethelred

Post by Ethelred » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:30 am

jriding wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:31 pm
UpperNwGuy, drk, curmudgeon, shariq1989:

Thank you for your excellent ideas.

Plan A: Keep the Sapphire card for now (one year anniversary isn't until July 2018) and "mock-cancel" in June to see if I can get a statement credit incentive to keep the card for another year.
Plan B: Transfer the miles to United (assuming they offer favorable routes) and cancel Sapphire.
Plan C: Pay the annual fee in exchange for the 25% bonus and cancel after the miles are used up.
If possible, I would choose D: get a Sapphire Reserve card, so that you get a 50% bonus on the points instead of 25%. The card has a higher fee, but an extra 25% of 200k points is worth $500. If you can also get the sign-up bonus, even better.