Cost of orthopedic cast

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
kmurp

Cost of orthopedic cast

Post by kmurp » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:12 pm

Daughter recently broke hand and had a short arm cast placed. We are now getting the bills. Interestingly, when she went in to have her follow up, she had the cast replaced. There were two identical charges for a cast at that visit for around $320. Is it customary to charge twice for a cast replacement ? Not getting anywhere with the billing dept of this large academic center.

RudyS

Re: Cost of orthopedic cast

Post by RudyS » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:25 pm

What did the insurance say? Did you get their statement yet?

mouses

Post by mouses » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:58 pm

What is the billing dept actually saying?

Does she have a specific doctor whose office she could get info from, or was this the ER?

samsmith

Post by samsmith » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:42 pm

What are the CPT codes that were charged?

kmurp

Post by kmurp » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:43 am

To answer the above questions:
The billing dept bills for the entire academic medical center including the ortho office. They said they will look into it but never got back to us. The insurance company EOB doesn’t list a CPT code. It shows two lines “cast short arm/cast room”. Each line for cast short arm/cast room is identical at $454.00 before Insurance discount. I suppose one could be a facility fee? But I’m thinking they charged once to take it off and once again to reapply. The actual bill from the med center just lists it as “cast room”.

snowox

Post by snowox » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:27 am

Sounds to me that the first time they charges to put the cast on. The second time the hiked it because they had to remove the first cast then put new one on if I am reading and understanding your post correct.

kmurp

Post by kmurp » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:30 am

snowox wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:27 am
Sounds to me that the first time they charges to put the cast on. The second time the hiked it because they had to remove the first cast then put new one on if I am reading and understanding your post correct.
I think you are probably correct. It just seems exorbitant.

snowox

Post by snowox » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:44 am

kmurp wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:30 am
snowox wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:27 am
I think you are probably correct. It just seems exorbitant.
Yes it does. Depending on your time I would stay on it till you get an answer. Costs are high enough! Good luck

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:42 am

kmurp wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:43 am
To answer the above questions:
The billing dept bills for the entire academic medical center including the ortho office. They said they will look into it but never got back to us. The insurance company EOB doesn’t list a CPT code. It shows two lines “cast short arm/cast room”. Each line for cast short arm/cast room is identical at $454.00 before Insurance discount. I suppose one could be a facility fee? But I’m thinking they charged once to take it off and once again to reapply. The actual bill from the med center just lists it as “cast room”.
Or it's all just a mistake that the insurance company will fix next month. I get duplicate EOBs all the time. I've called the insurance company about it, and every time they tell me to ignore them.