U.S. stocks in free fall

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
livesoft

Re: U.S. stocks in freefall

Post by livesoft »

I don't see why you don't play a game of Chicken. Who will blink first?

I am making our Roth IRAs have less risky equities in them. I am selling DGS (small-cap emerging markets, up 60% since grap0013's market call) in the Roths and buying DGS in tax-deferred. I am selling Total US stock market in the traditional and buying Total US Stock Market in the Roth.

I have to decide whether to move small-cap foreign out of Roths into Tax-deferred. And whether to move US small-cap value out of tax-deferred into Roths.

Does anybody have any help for me please?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

livesoft wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:27 pm I don't see why you don't play a game of Chicken. Who will blink first?

I am making our Roth IRAs have less risky equities in them. I am selling DGS (small-cap emerging markets, up 60% since grap0013's market call) in the Roths and buying DGS in tax-deferred. I am selling Total US stock market in the traditional and buying Total US Stock Market in the Roth.

I have to decide whether to move small-cap foreign out of Roths into Tax-deferred. And whether to move US small-cap value out of tax-deferred into Roths.

Liquidate all of your tax-advantaged and buy Bitcoin. You’ll make up the 10% IRS penalty on day 1!!!
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Tulip-coin was down 20% at one point today.
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

sambb wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:06 pm stocks are falling upwards! Anyone rebalancing or taking moiney off the table? I havent hit my band, but i am considering rebalancing anyway. Any downside to this?
I am moving to bonds continuously.
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

livesoft wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:27 pm I don't see why you don't play a game of Chicken. Who will blink first?

If everything is tax-deferred, and you adjust for the different tax values of pre-tax and after-tax accounts, there is no first-order difference; if you retire in a 25% tax bracket, $4000 in a traditional IRA and $3000 in a Roth IRA have the same value if invested the same way, so there is no reason to invest one or the other in risky investments. Therefore, the investment options are more important if there is a difference; hold bonds in your TSP because it has a better bond fund than anything available at retail, or stocks in your 401(k) if the lowest-cost option is an S&P 500 index.

The second-order effects favor putting riskier investments in a Roth IRA. If the stock market booms and you have stocks in your traditional IRA, you might wind up paying 28% rather than 25% tax on part of your traditional withdrawals, or paying tax prematurely because of RMDs which are larger than you need. If the stock market crashes, the IRS might give back only 15% rather than 25% of the losses in your traditional IRA.
Wiki David Grabiner
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

grabiner wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:11 pm

If everything is tax-deferred, and you adjust for the different tax values of pre-tax and after-tax accounts, there is no first-order difference; if you retire in a 25% tax bracket, $4000 in a traditional IRA and $3000 in a Roth IRA have the same value if invested the same way, so there is no reason to invest one or the other in risky investments. Therefore, the investment options are more important if there is a difference; hold bonds in your TSP because it has a better bond fund than anything available at retail, or stocks in your 401(k) if the lowest-cost option is an S&P 500 index.

The second-order effects favor putting riskier investments in a Roth IRA. If the stock market booms and you have stocks in your traditional IRA, you might wind up paying 28% rather than 25% tax on part of your traditional withdrawals, or paying tax prematurely because of RMDs which are larger than you need. If the stock market crashes, the IRS might give back only 15% rather than 25% of the losses in your traditional IRA.
Maybe I’m wrong but I think livesoft was goofing around. All excellent points though.
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

MotoTrojan wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:17 am
grabiner wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:11 pm

Maybe I’m wrong but I think livesoft was goofing around. All excellent points though.
I think this was one of those welcome but sometimes confusing “let’s teach an investing lesson while making some unfortunate Boglehead’s head spin” posts. (Mine.)

After reading it maybe someone might say, “Hey, I thought we were supposed to do nothing!” (That would be me.)

But someone else might think, “Maybe I SHOULD move my emerging markets to a different account, I mean, up 60%.” (Won’t admit it.)

Hopefully livesoft will clarify or others will do it for him. I can’t because I had to read it three times and although I was mostly convinced he was goofing around, sometimes it’s still a mystery and you just can’t be too sure.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I was not goofing around. I am serious.

Strictly speaking, I want assets that go up the mostest in my Roth IRAs. And I do not want assets that drop in value to be in my Roth IRA. Both of those kinds of assets are "riskier investments." There is risk of loss and risk of gains. And both risks are combined in "riskier assets." Most folks don't think about risk of gains. So when "riskier assets" are going up, I want them in my Roth IRAs, but when "riskier assets" are going down, I don't want them in my Roth IRA.

So if I am going to own "riskier assets" and if I can market time it such that my Roth IRAs hold them when they are mostly going up and not when they are going down, what's wrong with that?

Another way of saying this: In the end I want my Roth IRAs to be much much bigger than my traditional IRAs. Who wouldn't want that?

And I think grabiner is saying something like this: If one sells $500,000 of DGS in their Roth IRA, they would have to buy 25% more in their traditional IRA or $625,000 to have the same tax-adjusted asset allocation because they expect to pay 25% tax on their traditional IRA withdrawals.
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

^^Thank you! I understand now. :happy
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

GoldenFinch wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:19 am ^^Thank you! I understand now. :happy
Me too. That must be a sign that The End Is Near. The greatest fool understood Livesoft and Grabiner, before his coffee, shortly after 7 AM, so the market must fall, far and long. You heard it here.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

sambb wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:06 pm stocks are falling upwards! Anyone rebalancing or taking moiney off the table? I havent hit my band, but i am considering rebalancing anyway. Any downside to this?
Forget bitcoin. I want in on the anti-gravity device that makes things fall upwards.

Since the start of this thread on August 8, 2011, total return of Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Admiral Shares (VTSAX) is up 150%, and $10,000 has grown to be $25,033.

I think I'll switch over to the thread "is anyone tried of the stock market going up?"

I do enjoy these two threads with my morning coffee, they are very entertaining
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

livesoft wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:46 pm Tulip-coin was down 20% at one point today.
Doesn't that constitute a RBD?
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

EnjoyIt wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:33 am
livesoft wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:46 pm Tulip-coin was down 20% at one point today.
I really don't know. It might not be if there are many days where it dropped more than 20%. That is, a 20% drop might be normal.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

livesoft wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:38 am
EnjoyIt wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:33 am
I really don't know. It might not be if there are many days where it dropped more than 20%. That is, a 20% drop might be normal.
I don’t think that was a drop at the close; if memory serves, it was up for the day. A nice smooth ride :D
bligh

Post by bligh »

There is that volatility that has been hiding all these months.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Yes, finally some action. Bond ETFs are up more than 0.5%. That doesn't happen very often, does it?
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

livesoft wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:34 am Yes, finally some action. Bond ETFs are up more than 0.5%. That doesn't happen very often, does it?
Maybe not, but my Intermediate Treasury ETF is still down from its value on Tuesday. Not clear why I would want to sell.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:15 am
GoldenFinch wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:19 am ^^Thank you! I understand now. :happy
Me too. That must be a sign that The End Is Near. The greatest fool understood Livesoft and Grabiner, before his coffee, shortly after 7 AM, so the market must fall, far and long. You heard it here.
Oh boy, I've used up half of my "stopped clock" allotment for the day. Called it!
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:44 am
TomatoTomahto wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:15 am
Oh boy, I've used up half of my "stopped clock" allotment for the day. Called it!
Given the abrupt intra-day timing, I don't think this particular market drop had anything to do with you ;)
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:55 am Still an accumulator, but approaching the end. Otoh, DS is beginning his accumulation, and I’d like him to get a sense for what a sharp drop feels like. He’s got enough now ($xxk) that he will feel it. He knows, by reading, that volatility goes both ways, but that’s something you have to experience first hand to truly feel.
My daughter is celebrating her company stock is dropping 15%, she gets lower price because it’s the start of her ESPP. Lol!
greg24

Post by greg24 »

The market is tanking now. Could get interesting.
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

I just completed a transfer to Scottrade for a bonus. I'm sure the downturn is my fault, although it would need nearly a 3% decline today to really cause a problem.
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

greg24 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:25 pm The market is tanking now. Could get interesting.
Total US and Total Int. are now at -0.33% and -0.21% respectively; this is pretty mellow. My small-cap value (S&P600) is touching a -1% day (was way worse) but it also had some nice recent gains.

Anyways though... I was getting sick of my car payment so I just sold a bunch of Lifestrategy Conservative Growth which looks like it'll close up today thanks to Total Bond contribution. Lifestrategy was part of my EF, going to reduce it now without payment and keep all at Ally)! Still need $2000 worth of equities to fully payoff the car... but I think I'll wait until Monday based on all the doom & gloom above :mrgreen: .
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

FWIW, IJS (small-cap value) traded around $150.00 earlier today which was 3.1% below yesterday's close and definitely in RBD territory.
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

livesoft wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:34 pm FWIW, IJS (small-cap value) traded around $150.00 earlier today which was 3.1% below yesterday's close and definitely in RBD territory.
Pretty sharp trough though. You'd have needed to nimble or put in a low limit order to get in. Mostly recovered now. Small-value is one area where I don't need buy any at this time.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:40 pm Pretty sharp trough though. You'd have needed to nimble or put in a low limit order to get in.
That is true, but that's why some folks have price drop alerts set up with their brokers. Let the computers be nimble, so you don't have to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Acronym decoder, from the wiki:
RBD - Really Bad Day. A Bogleheads' idiomatic term coined by forum member livesoft. An early mention is in this thread: Today was a Really Bad Day.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
FIREchief

Post by FIREchief »

I just wanted to wish all the buy & hold investors HAPPY QUADRUPLE DAY!

The S&P 500 index hit a great recession low of 666 in 2009. Earlier today, it exceeded 2665. Simple math (and I'm not even including dividends). 8-)
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

FIREchief wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:44 am I just wanted to wish all the buy & hold investors HAPPY QUADRUPLE DAY!

The S&P 500 index hit a great recession low of 666 in 2009. Earlier today, it exceeded 2665. Simple math (and I'm not even including dividends). 8-)
I plan to sell 1% equities today if it is above 2662 at 3:50PM.
FootballFan5548

Post by FootballFan5548 »

flyingaway wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:23 am
FIREchief wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:44 am I just wanted to wish all the buy & hold investors HAPPY QUADRUPLE DAY!

And buy what?
alpine_boglehead

Post by alpine_boglehead »

Happy +300% day, too. :)

That's 3,195 days, giving us a 0.04% CDGR - that's the expense ratio of VTSAX - per diem :shock:.

Would have anyone believed you if you'd foretold on March 6, 2009, that this would happen within 8.5 years?
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

FootballFan5548 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:43 am

And buy what?
Sorry. I meant to "re-balance" into bonds.
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

flyingaway wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:09 pm

And buy what?
Seems overly precise form of rebalancing to me.
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

Take your emotion away from investment.
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

MotoTrojan wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:20 pm

And buy what?
Seems overly precise form of rebalancing to me.
I just need a motivation to reach my 70/30 allocation.
Houe

Post by Houe »

And buy what?
Depending on the size of your portfolio you can always use new contributions to slowly transition to the desired asset allocation.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Since the start of this thread on August 8, 2011, total return of Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Admiral Shares (VTSAX) is up 154%, and $10,000 has turned into $25,414.

I love this freefall.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
oldzey

Post by oldzey »

This time it's different. :twisted:
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman
Tycoon

Post by Tycoon »

Don't forget about the bond market crash. It'll be here any day now.
Emotionless, prognostication free investing. Ignoring the noise and economists since 1979. Getting rich off of "smart people's" behavioral mistakes.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed several off-topic posts which started to derail the thread. As a reminder, see: General Etiquette
We expect this forum to be a place where people can feel comfortable asking questions and where debates and discussions are conducted in civil tones.
Please stay on-topic, which is about U.S. stocks.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Munir

Post by Munir »

Rebalance what into what? Both equities and bonds are tanking, aren't they?
Engineer250

Post by Engineer250 »

Got an exciting new phone notification. A wild downward pointing arrow to inform me VNQ dropped 2%. I was checking it a lot about 1.5 years ago when I was rebalancing my REIT so I guess Google thinks I care about it. No similar exciting numbers for S&P 500 though. Wonder if that is the biggest swing for REIT all year? It’s been such a mellow year. I’d wonder why it’s happening now, but 2% dips used to be normal so I don’t think I need a reason.
Where the tides of fortune take us, no man can know.
Coolstavi

Post by Coolstavi »

Engineer250 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:23 pm Got an exciting new phone notification. A wild downward pointing arrow to inform me VNQ dropped 2%. I was checking it a lot about 1.5 years ago when I was rebalancing my REIT so I guess Google thinks I care about it. No similar exciting numbers for S&P 500 though. Wonder if that is the biggest swing for REIT all year? It’s been such a mellow year. I’d wonder why it’s happening now, but 2% dips used to be normal so I don’t think I need a reason.
I have VGSLX and it says it went from 121 to 107 today for about a 14% drop. Does that seem right? Thought it was a mistake at first but....
Engineer250

Post by Engineer250 »

Coolstavi wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:03 pm
Engineer250 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:23 pm Got an exciting new phone notification. A wild downward pointing arrow to inform me VNQ dropped 2%. I was checking it a lot about 1.5 years ago when I was rebalancing my REIT so I guess Google thinks I care about it. No similar exciting numbers for S&P 500 though. Wonder if that is the biggest swing for REIT all year? It’s been such a mellow year. I’d wonder why it’s happening now, but 2% dips used to be normal so I don’t think I need a reason.
I have VGSLX and it says it went from 121 to 107 today for about a 14% drop. Does that seem right? Thought it was a mistake at first but....
Search engine says VGSLX is up today. I was actually just looking at all my ETFs in my Roth and thinking how I wanted to sell them and start buying the funds instead. For no real reason, just to make my life more orderly I guess.
Where the tides of fortune take us, no man can know.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

See viewtopic.php?f=10&t=235065&view=unread#unread
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

Engineer250 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:17 pm
Search engine says VGSLX is up today. I was actually just looking at all my ETFs in my Roth and thinking how I wanted to sell them and start buying the funds instead. For no real reason, just to make my life more orderly I guess.
That is the Dec 18 closing price. Today the price declined 11.79% according to vanguard.com
tj

Post by tj »

triceratop wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:19 pm
That is the Dec 18 closing price. Today the price declined 11.79% according to vanguard.com
12%? I dont believe it.
Portfolio7

Post by Portfolio7 »

tj wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:27 pm
triceratop wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:19 pm
12%? I dont believe it.
As I've been learning (by watching my funds closely), dividend declarations seem to create a significant NAV reduction, even if reinvested. Looks like VGSLX just declared on the 19th to be paid on the 21st. I haven't had time to work the math on these situations, but it appears that the dividend reinvestment is reflected in my total investments, despite the big reported loss in the funds that declared. I would expect that to be the case, but the size of the loss numbers on the dividend declaration date confused me. The losses seemed greater than whatever dividends might be coming my way, even though I was pretty sure that was not the case. Anyone who wants to correct me or provide better insights, please feel more than welcome to do so.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest" - Benjamin Franklin
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

It appears that an erroneous price was reported for a short time and later fixed.
roflwaffle

Post by roflwaffle »

Does anyone publish currency weighted (I think?) versions of major indices? For instance, if the S&P 500 is up 2% since January first, but the dollar compared to some basket of currencies is down 10%, would that represent a currency weighted 8% decline?