Security Cameras - New home has been pre-wired

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
pdanet

Security Cameras - New home has been pre-wired

Post by pdanet » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:26 pm

so we are about 2 months from moving into our new home and we paid the builder to have the home pre-wired for 4 security cameras and they cost a pretty penny.

Any recommendation for 4 security camera, with night vision and larger hard-drive(1 or 2TB). Am checking few cyber monday deals but appreciate your input on complete security system.

ZOSI 8-Channel 1080N HD Video Security System CCTV DVR 1TB Hard Drive + 8 Indoor/Outdoor 1.0MP 1280TVL Weatherproof Surveillance Security Camera System is on-sale for $167.99. Is this good for a DIY person?

Link: ZOSI 8-Channel 1080

wilshuer

Re: Security Cameras - New home has been pre-wired

Post by wilshuer » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:46 pm

Get IP cameras, better quality picture and probably easier to upgrade in the future, expand the system if you wish, etc.

Check out http://www.cctvforum.com/ for advice - the Bogleheads of CCTV.

mmcmonster

Post by mmcmonster » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:05 pm

I just bought (yesterday) a Lorex system (https://www.lorextechnology.com/). They have Black Friday deals that I think are still active (the website still has the black Friday prices but they guy I chatted with on their website said they were supposed to end last night).

Since you have the wiring, getting a system that uses the wiring would be fantastic.

Definitely do your research. If it's wired for Cat6, you'll need an NVR system. If you have it wired for coax (do installers still do that???) you'll need a DVR system.

I chose Lorex since they have a wide variety of quality cameras and if you have a static IP address at home you should be able to use their monitoring software without paying them (or anyone else) a monthly fee.

WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:25 pm

pdanet wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:26 pm
so we are about 2 months from moving into our new home and we paid the builder to have the home pre-wired for 4 security cameras and they cost a pretty penny.

Any recommendation for 4 security camera, with night vision and larger hard-drive(1 or 2TB). Am checking few cyber monday deals but appreciate your input on complete security system.

ZOSI 8-Channel 1080N HD Video Security System CCTV DVR 1TB Hard Drive + 8 Indoor/Outdoor 1.0MP 1280TVL Weatherproof Surveillance Security Camera System is on-sale for $167.99. Is this good for a DIY person?

Link: ZOSI 8-Channel 1080
OP,

I have been very pleased with the LaView 3MP setup I installed this summer. If you act fast, there is a CyberMonday deal going on for 30% off. It uses CAT-6 cables for PoE .....

Good luck ! 8-)

pdanet

Post by pdanet » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:32 pm

WoodSpinner wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:25 pm

I have been very pleased with the LaView 3MP setup I installed this summer. If you act fast, there is a CyberMonday deal going on for 30% off. It uses CAT-6 cables for PoE .....
Thanks. Can you post the link here please?

pdanet

Post by pdanet » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:36 pm

mmcmonster wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:05 pm

Definitely do your research. If it's wired for Cat6, you'll need an NVR system. If you have it wired for coax (do installers still do that???) you'll need a DVR system.
Thanks. We paid extra to have Cat6 installed so will check on an NVR system

pdanet

Post by pdanet » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:50 pm

mmcmonster wrote:
I just bought (yesterday) a Lorex system (https://www.lorextechnology.com/).
What system did you buy? Is there a model #? Thanks

WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:50 pm

pdanet wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:32 pm
WoodSpinner wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:25 pm

Thanks. Can you post the link here please?
Here you go ...

https://www.laviewsecurity.com/

Boomer01

Post by Boomer01 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:24 am

We just moved into a new construction home which was prewired for cameras. The security company installed cameras, DVR, etc. for $1400. It's much higher than the DIY security camera sets you can buy at a big box, but the quality is supposed to be far superior. Who knows though.

Drovor

Post by Drovor » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:31 am

Can also check out Costco they have a few different brands on sale.

My only experience is with Lorex and was fine until I had to deal with their customer service. My next system will not be from Lorex since they don't back their product from my experience.

mmcmonster

Post by mmcmonster » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:17 pm

pdanet wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:50 pm
mmcmonster wrote:
I just bought (yesterday) a Lorex system (https://www.lorextechnology.com/).
What system did you buy? Is there a model #? Thanks
You really need to go through their systems since there's a lot of different options.

I went with this system: https://www.lorextechnology.com/4k-ip-c ... 1644NV-1-p

It may be serious overkill, but my wife is really concerned about home invasion and it's more to keep her mind at ease. That's worth ten times the cost of this system.