I bought Vanguard Index Funds to get the black friday shopping out of my system

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
investing1012

I bought Vanguard Index Funds to get the black friday shopping out of my system

Post by investing1012 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:14 pm

I bought Vanguard Index Funds to get the black friday shopping out of my system. Anyone else do the same :P

mouses

Re: I bought Vanguard Index Funds to get the black friday shopping out of my system

Post by mouses » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:12 pm

I observe Buy Nothing day. Black Friday looks like an exercise in insanity to me.

Dottie57

Re: I bought Vanguard Index Funds to get the black friday shopping out of my system

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:17 pm

No funds for me today. I am however buying a replacement remote for my tv. Also thinking of replacing my clock radio since it changes between standard and daylight savings time on the wrong weekends. Internet shopping.

TD2626

Post by TD2626 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:29 pm

Buying Vanguard index funds seems like a fairly Boglehead thing to do on Black Friday.

However, they're so low cost they don't need a sale - you can get them cheap any day!

mouses

Post by mouses » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:16 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:17 pm
Also thinking of replacing my clock radio since it changes between standard and daylight savings time on the wrong weekends.
So does my laptop. I just go click click click twice a year, problem solved.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:48 pm

mouses wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:16 pm
Dottie57 wrote:
Also thinking of replacing my clock radio since it changes between standard and daylight savings time on the wrong weekends.
So does my laptop. I just go click click click twice a year, problem solved.
Clock is more involved and not straight forward.

spoonfork

Post by spoonfork » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:52 pm

I needed a new phone so I bought one of the discount Moto G5 phones thanks to Black Friday.

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:58 pm

I buy Vanguard index funds when I have the available money, regardless of the time of year it is.

As far as dealing with the pressure/advertisement of Black Friday goes, I just ask myself "do I really need this item?" More often then not I don't, so that's enough to quell the temptation to go out on a shopping spree.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:11 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
No funds for me today. I am however buying a replacement remote for my tv. Also thinking of replacing my clock radio since it changes between standard and daylight savings time on the wrong weekends. Internet shopping.
How old is your clock? I remember a few years ago the pain of having to change out our master clock system at my workplace due to Congress deciding to move the start and end of DST. Not my favorite thing.

Sure glad I don’t have to mess with that sort of thing anymore. :D
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:25 pm

No Vanguard funds, but i did purchase an I bond. And put some more money into my E savings. No other spending today!

Dyloot

Post by Dyloot » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:32 pm

investing1012 wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:14 pm
I bought Vanguard Index Funds to get the black friday shopping out of my system. Anyone else do the same :P
I did! :D

True story: I was looking for Apple AirPods on various BF lists yesterday and flipping through streaming apps and ended up on HBO. I settled on the Becoming Warren Buffett documentary (which I had already seen) while I browsed my Vanguard account. I ended up giving up on the AirPods (they're not on sale) and bought a fund I expect I'll own for next decade or three.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:02 pm

I could sell some funds today, but decided not to do anything.

OovoO

Post by OovoO » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:51 pm

I wish. You are an example.

I bought a bottle of Pernod. I don't know about Black, but it most certainly is Friday!

CABob

Post by CABob » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:01 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Does anyone market a clock radio with an atomic clock? I don't think I have seen one, but it seems like a good idea.
Never mind, I see that Amazon is way ahead of me https://www.amazon.com/Sangean-RCR-22-T ... B000QUGKRQ
Bob

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:23 pm

oldcomputerguy wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:11 pm
Dottie57 wrote:
How old is your clock? I remember a few years ago the pain of having to change out our master clock system at my workplace due to Congress deciding to move the start and end of DST. Not my favorite thing.

Sure glad I don’t have to mess with that sort of thing anymore. :D
My clock is abot 15-16 years old. It is from Hilton at Home. I stayed at a Hilton and loved the clock radio. Extremely easy to use and fairly good looking.

WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:25 pm

mouses wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:12 pm
I observe Buy Nothing day. Black Friday looks like an exercise in insanity to me.
:annoyed , personally I succumbed to the madness! I just love a good sale :greedy !

Fortunately, We LBOM and I consider it practice for spending some more in retirement. Happy with the deals I got—definitely filled a need and I enjoyed finding the bargain.

Others might observe that I took some of the accumulated energy of not actively investing in the market and focused it on bargains this year.

Oh well....

1. I know DW will love the day of Performance Driving school at our local race track. She does have a lead foot, but dearly loves the speed.
2. As my photo library grows, I need to expand my backup capacity. Taking the leap from 2Tb to 4Tb.
3. The TV in our guest room is an old 200 lb. behemoth 27” tube, that was once top of the line but pales in comparison to today’s TVs. Got a great deal on a 4K model for our bedroom and will move the 7 year old model (1080p) to the guest room.

It won’t break the bank and I had a great time hunting. All bills to be paid off in December!

My final Black Friday as a working man—Retirement here I come.

WoodSpinner 8-)

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:39 pm

Same. Today was payday, so I did a quick calculation with the "Optimal lazy portfolio rebalancing calculator", and invested in a Vanguard index fund.

It was also a holiday + Thanksgiving leftovers, so it was a pretty great day. 20+ degrees above normal for November was nice too. I didn't step foot inside a store, but spent a good part of the day outside.

ColoRetiredGirl

Post by ColoRetiredGirl » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:41 pm

Yes. I deposited in a new credit union $2,000 for a 3.25% APY. At $2,001 it drops incrementaly from 3.25% to 2.20% with a $5,000 balance. My Black Friday itch has been scratched!