Solid Surface Shower Walls and Pan

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
A440

Solid Surface Shower Walls and Pan

Post by A440 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:48 am

Anyone have success with remodeling their shower with solid surface walls and pan? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Also, can a frame-less glass door and or wall be used? I'm looking to have solid walls on 2 sides, and a half with glass on the 3rd.

ClevrChico

Re: Solid Surface Shower Walls and Pan

Post by ClevrChico » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:00 am

A440 wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:48 am
Anyone have success with remodeling their shower with solid surface walls and pan? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Also, can a frame-less glass door and or wall be used? I'm looking to have solid walls on 2 sides, and a half with glass on the 3rd.
We have solid surface shower walls. It was a great decision, as it's nearly maintenance free as advertised. A bit pricey, but it was worth it. Sorry, can't address the door question.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:19 pm

What type of materials are used. Fiberglass?

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:21 pm

Our home built in the early 1990's came that way. Almost every hotel that I have stayed in recently also had a glass wall and a glass door for the shower. The joints were of silicone rubber including around the door.

So I consider the idea so commonplace as to not require much thought at all. We have no tiles nor tile grout in our master bath at all.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Lonestarz

Post by Lonestarz » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:18 am

With the glass wall - if you don’t build it to passively keep water in (overlaps or slanted floors) you will need to silicone caulk it. Probably need to recaulk every 5 years or so.

I would have preferred to slope the floor 1-2” under the glass so everything runs back to the shower passively and things will dry out better.

Frameless is way better than the rickety framed glass shower walls they use.

njpete

Post by njpete » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:51 pm

My wife and I did this. We have corian walls to the ceiling, plus a corian shower pan. We used grohe fixtures and trackless glass doors. It was over 11K with me doing the demo work, plumbing, and drywall myself. Without me doing that work it would have been 2-3K more. Very expensive, but worth every penny to us. This was in south jersey. Our installer is based in West Chester PA. He has done hundreds of these jobs and has tons of pictures of previous work.

Pete

ImUrHuckleberry

Post by ImUrHuckleberry » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:56 pm

A440 wrote:
We just did ours with solid surface manufactured stone and we're putting in frame-less glass french doors. The hinges will be mounted right into the stone. (Everything is done except the doors. They insisted on waiting to take final measurements until the stone was mounted. The doors will now be cut and mounted in a few weeks.)
Dottie57 wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:19 pm
The material we used is called Tere-Stone, and is another manufactured stone similar to quartz surface but made from dolomite.

GAAP

Post by GAAP » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:35 pm

Just did our Master bath with "The Onyx Collection" -- deliverable to any Lowes, but only displayed at some. Good products for showers, tub surrounds, vanities. They can work with new installations, custom stuff, and have specific ways to order for remodel.

Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:41 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:19 pm
Ours (two baths and will do a third with another remodel) are a Corian knock-off called Livingstone. Care even after 4 years is minimal.

Post by 123 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:00 pm

A440 wrote:
...Also, can a frame-less glass door and or wall be used? I'm looking to have solid walls on 2 sides, and a half with glass on the 3rd.
We used this configuration on one bathroom in our remodel with a frame-less glass door. It worked out okay. The advantages in our situation was the glass (including the wall at the end of the tub with the half glass) made the small bathroom appear larger and more open. The disadvantages are that all the glass gets a lot of soap scrum and often appears dingy (I guess we're not fastidious housekeepers), whether you get the same effect could depend on where your window(s) are and your lighting set-up. One worry I sometimes have is that if the frame-less section holding the door ever gets loose it would be a hassle and likely expensive to get it fixed/replaced.

We have one bath that has tiled walls around the tub/shower and two baths that use engineered stone on the walls. After a couple of years I vastly prefer the engineered stone over the tiled walls. There doesn't seem to be any issue with the corner joint seals on the engineered stone but with tiled walls there's a lot more grout to weaken, get loose, and get moldy. The engineered stone just gives a cleaner look that just doesn't get old to me even though some might appreciate the more complex look you get with tiled walls.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:25 pm

Did a master bath remodel several years ago. The bathroom floor and shower walls, both side and out, are the same tile. The floor is large square tile between 18” and 2 ft per side. Shower isnsame pattern but is approx 1 x 1 ft tile. The shower floor is small tile, approx 1” x 1”. The shower door is a heavy glass panel. No frame.

The only downside is in Tx houses settle and after a while glass door started brushing shower wall. Contractor came out and shaved wall down a bit.

Low maintenance if you just use a clean shower daily spray cleaner when you are done.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:52 am

Just had ours done with the Onyx collection. Looks good. Shower pan is non skid. A big plus here. Had it done through Lowe's. Figured they vetted their contractors. Paid Lowe's upfront for whole job. Workers cut panels wrong, twice. So job took longer. Because of this Lowe's gave us $2300 cash back from overall cost. No argument. We asked for $2205 which was the cost of installation of the shower itself and next day I went down to Lowe's and they handed me 23 $100 bills. I never dealt with the contractor on this point. So the process was aggravating as each time they cut wrong a new piece had to be ordered (one week each time), but the end result was great. Both for shower itself and for the money back.
The Onyx collection is a clean and seamless look. We did the niche and a seat and two grab bars. Shower pan is the 4" height. It has opened up the perceived space in the bathroom.
We will hang a frameless roller shower door.