H&R Block Software

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
DarkNyte

H&R Block Software

Post by DarkNyte »

Found a link on slickdeals for 50% discount on H&R Block 2017 software and thought people would find it useful here. It can already be downloaded today.

https://www.hrblock.com/tax-software/?o ... D=12833048

Make sure to uncheck the extended download service.

Good deal for those who like to get started early.
djmbob

Re: H&R Block Software

Post by djmbob »

Thanks a million, DarkNyte!
Cheers,
Ray :sharebeer
Retired Military in Tulsa, 100% VA, MFJ, Age 66, Spouse 61, 2023 Effective Fed Tax Rate 12.17%, OK State 0%
yukonjack

Post by yukonjack »

That looks like a good deal. Thanks DarkNyte. Although it looks like H&R dropped the 10% Amazon rebate that they’ve offered over the last several years.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Last year Amazon had a special around $29 -- in December I think -- and they automatically give you the extended download service since they deliver it through their digital download service.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
technovelist

Post by technovelist »

That is pretty good but I don't think it is really a 50% discount from the actual price you would pay without the code. I paid $37.32 including tax for the deluxe version without state filing.
In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, they often differ.
mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 »

yukonjack wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:11 am That looks like a good deal. Thanks DarkNyte. Although it looks like H&R dropped the 10% Amazon rebate that they’ve offered over the last several years.
It looks like this year will be only 5% which isn't any better than the prime card discount.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

jebmke wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:09 am Last year Amazon had a special around $29 -- in December I think -- and they automatically give you the extended download service since they deliver it through their digital download service.
December and January tend to be the times of year Amazon has had tax software on sale in the past, for most major brands of tax software.
CULater

Post by CULater »

What is the extended download service?
On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

CULater wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:56 pm What is the extended download service?
Allows you to re-download the software over some long period of time in case you need to reinstall. Amazon keeps it out there for a long time (I think I still can download my TaxCut 2008 software if I needed it.)
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Pet peeve of this software. sure, can always 'print' and mail but a PITA when one just want's to be 'done' with it and ensure it doesn't get lost in the mail etc. This looks like an increase from last year too (?)

Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.
JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired »

DarkNyte wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:04 pm Found a link on slickdeals for 50% discount on H&R Block 2017 software and thought people would find it useful here.
Got it!
Thanks DarkNyte ............. much better price than I usually pay.
JW
Retired at Last
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

F150HD wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:32 pm Pet peeve of this software. sure, can always 'print' and mail but a PITA when one just want's to be 'done' with it and ensure it doesn't get lost in the mail etc. This looks like an increase from last year too (?)

It's been an additional $19.95 to eFile state returns for years now.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Mudpuppy wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:49 pm
does Turbo tax charge this to eFile state as well? (have never used TT).

I have use H&R and have paid the $ to eFile state just 'have it done' etc (could not recall cost last year).
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

F150HD wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:32 pm
Mudpuppy wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:49 pm
does Turbo tax charge this to eFile state as well? (have never used TT).

I have use H&R and have paid the $ to eFile state just 'have it done' etc (could not recall cost last year).
Turbo Tax Deluxe, which includes a "free" state program download and "free" federal e-files, charges $19.99 for state e-files. The fine print does note that e-file for NY state taxes is free, which might be a NY state law.
AstroJohn

Post by AstroJohn »

Another annoyance with Block Basic this year: I've used Basic Fed only for many years now. In the fall they always offer next year at just under $15. This year, the emails all said the best price of the year for Basic Fed return only was $19.95. This seemed like a serious price increase, so I have been holding off. After seeing this thread, this morning I bought it for $14.98! One would hope they would treat their returning customers better.

By the way, Basic does all the forms, even the dreaded Form 1116. They just don't hold your hand as much. Here in VA the state offers free efile for state returns, so there is no real need to buy the state option.
CULater

Post by CULater »

Purchased MAC version and had a glitch when I clicked on the "Download" button, nothing happened. I went to the confirmation email and clicked on the Download link and that worked. Just passing that along to others.
JPH

Post by JPH »

As a previous user, I've received a couple of recent email offers to purchase for $29.95. But I noticed on this site they offer for $22.48 without State, which I happily do not need. :D Installed seamlessly.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt
nickjoy

Post by nickjoy »

If you make under 60K a year, you can use H&R block, Tax Slayer, and a couple other program for absolutely free. You get the equivalent of their deluxe or premier package.
susa

Post by susa »

nickjoy wrote: If you make under 60K a year, you can use H&R block, Tax Slayer, and a couple other program for absolutely free. You get the equivalent of their deluxe or premier package.
How ?
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

yukonjack wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:11 am That looks like a good deal. Thanks DarkNyte. Although it looks like H&R dropped the 10% Amazon rebate that they’ve offered over the last several years.
https://www.amazon.com/Block-Software-D ... tware+2017

nickjoy

Post by nickjoy »

susa wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:18 am
nickjoy wrote: If you make under 60K a year, you can use H&R block, Tax Slayer, and a couple other program for absolutely free. You get the equivalent of their deluxe or premier package.
How ?
It's a federally required program. Go to the IRS website Jan-APR of next year and you'll see links to the free-file program. I was unsure of it the first time I used it, so I compared it to the regular free H&R block version and the TurboTax Zero (free) version, and the free-file program got me a little extra money and had a few more sections that when I tried to do it on the others, they said I had to upgrade to the deluxe or premier version.

https://www.unitedway.org/myfreetaxes
tuningfork

Post by tuningfork »

F150HD wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:32 pm Pet peeve of this software. sure, can always 'print' and mail but a PITA when one just want's to be 'done' with it and ensure it doesn't get lost in the mail etc.
I use H&R Block to prepare my state return, then go to my state's revenue site and file online for free. It takes maybe 5-10 minutes to transcribe the numbers H&R Block calculated to the state's web form.
susa

Post by susa »

nickjoy wrote: It's a federally required program. Go to the IRS website Jan-APR of next year and you'll see links to the free-file program.
Does the IRS website have a download link similar to H&R Block/Amazon or do you 1st have to create an identity, ie. an email address?
smashhand

Post by smashhand »

What is your home state, tuningfork?
nickjoy

Post by nickjoy »

susa wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:50 am
nickjoy wrote: It's a federally required program. Go to the IRS website Jan-APR of next year and you'll see links to the free-file program.
Does the IRS website have a download link similar to H&R Block/Amazon or do you 1st have to create an identity, ie. an email address?
I just did it online. You can always download the completed forms at the end. I had to log in using an email address. You can always make a burner email address if you want, but you are giving them your SSN and it's sponsored by the IRS. I feel safe with it.
AAA

Post by AAA »

If you recently purchased the 2017 program based on an email received from them saying it's their best price and there's a lower price shown in the OP's link, call them (say "representative") to get a refund. You may have to wait for a while on the phone before getting to the rep.

I also had issues installing the program (on a Mac). The first two times I double-clicked the .dmg file it looked like it was starting something but nothing further happened. The third time was successful.
CULater

Post by CULater »

AAA wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:22 pm If you recently purchased the 2017 program based on an email received from them saying it's their best price and there's a lower price shown in the OP's link, call them (say "representative") to get a refund. You may have to wait for a while on the phone before getting to the rep.

I also had issues installing the program (on a Mac). The first two times I double-clicked the .dmg file it looked like it was starting something but nothing further happened. The third time was successful.
Yep, I had problems with the MAC also. See my post upthread. Thought I was screwed...
mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 »

F150HD wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:47 pm
https://www.amazon.com/Block-Software-D ... tware+2017

Yep, it's only 5% now. So, no advantage over using the prime card to get 5% off.
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

mervinj7 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:37 pm Yep, it's only 5% now. So, no advantage over using the prime card to get 5% off.
In the past, even though Amazon was emphasized, there were a number of options for the gift cards. Also, lots of us aren't Prime members, so no 5% cash back.
mggray17

Post by mggray17 »

tuningfork wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:27 am
F150HD wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:32 pm Pet peeve of this software. sure, can always 'print' and mail but a PITA when one just want's to be 'done' with it and ensure it doesn't get lost in the mail etc.
I use H&R Block to prepare my state return, then go to my state's revenue site and file online for free. It takes maybe 5-10 minutes to transcribe the numbers H&R Block calculated to the state's web form.
I did this also last year in NJ. After using taxact for years I switched to the H&R Block. NJ now has fill-n-file available. What used to be a clunky online system where you enter information page by page, you now can download a pdf of the NJ-1040, fill it out completely and then upload to NJ tax site.
So it works well with the H&R block software, as stated above. Let H&R do your state taxes, transcribe to downloaded NJ-1040 and file. :)
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

tuningfork wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:27 am
I did this as well for Colorado last year and it worked out well... Pretty easy so save $20...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
Almost there

Post by Almost there »

Anyone did this for Arizona?
sawhorse

Post by sawhorse »

After the tax deadline in April, you can get really good deals on tax software. A couple years ago I filed an extension and got H&R Block Premium for $12 from eBay when I did my taxes a few months later.
mav12

Post by mav12 »

Why do you guys prefer HR Block over TurboTax as I'd used it for years and transfers your carryover deductions easily?
student

Post by student »

mav12 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:14 pm Why do you guys prefer HR Block over TurboTax as I'd used it for years and transfers your carryover deductions easily?
I found both usable. I have no preference. I buy whichever is cheaper.
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

mav12 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:14 pm Why do you guys prefer HR Block over TurboTax as I'd used it for years and transfers your carryover deductions easily?
1. It's the tax software I have used the most by far.
2. It's usually about $10 cheaper.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I prefer HRBlock because I've used it the past 2 years and before that TurboTax, so I have some experience with both. I can get HRBlock essentially for free after rebate/bonus, so that's why I use it.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Almost there

Post by Almost there »

I had problems with TurboTax and switched to H&R block quite a few years ago.
runner26

Post by runner26 »

I have gone back and forth between Tax Act and Turbo Tax. Tax Act because it was cheaper, then Turbo free from Vanguard, the back to Act when Turbo no longer free. This year Act is quoting an outrageous price and I didn't get the discount offer some got, so I ordered Block based on this thread. It will import last year from Turbo, but not Act. But it did have a PDF import feature. I started my return with the PDF import of last years tax act. It never showed me what it was importing or had a QandA for the imports.

My first problem with it showed up right away. When I put in my state refund, it said that it was not taxable because I did not itemize last year. Well I did itemize. I noticed a check box on the bottom of the page labeled itemized last year. It was not checked. I checked it and clicked next. It said no tax since I did not itemize last year, having unchecked the box I checked. I looked on their help blog, and people report this problem each of the last several years at least, with NO resolution posted. Finally I look at the forms tab, and saw a form for imported data from last year, and boy was this a screwed up mess. Name SS and a few of the simple top of page items were correct, but the rest was all wrong or missing. I had to go through this form and fix everything, then it started working ok.
palaheel

Post by palaheel »

Years ago, I preferred TT. Then TT instituted a policy that their software could only be installed on one computer. A dead machine, IRS question about a prior return, or the need to modify a return could get expensive; I switched to H&R Block. TT eventually changed their mind, but I've stuck with H&R Block. Trust, once lost....

Plus, it's a cheaper.
Nothing to say, really.
masteraleph

Post by masteraleph »

Turbotax also had an episode a few years ago where they tried to make Deluxe useless for a lot of people. They reversed that after a massive outcry, but I had switched to HR Block by then.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

masteraleph wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:26 pm Turbotax also had an episode a few years ago where they tried to make Deluxe useless for a lot of people. They reversed that after a massive outcry, but I had switched to HR Block by then.
+1 After over a decade using TT, that was the second time they tried to implement a gross price increase and/or onerous policy. Because of their marketing technique, I would not return to TT even if they were half the price of HR Block.
ICMoney

Post by ICMoney »

I made the leap to get H&R Block for $29.95, since I saw an "offer" in my American Express card to get a $10 statement credit for any purchase $30 or more from H&R Block. With sales tax this ended up being around $32 for me, so net cost of $22. I got a confirmation email immediately from Amex as follows:

We appreciate you using your Amex Offer at HRBLOCK AT HOME. Look out for a $10.00 statement credit, which will automatically be applied to your statement if your purchase meets the offer terms.
Almost there

Post by Almost there »

Does it include state?
ICMoney

Post by ICMoney »

Yes - here is the first sentence in the order confirmation email: Thanks for purchasing H&R Block 2017 Deluxe Federal + State software.
Almost there

Post by Almost there »

ICMoney: how did you receive the offer?
Via email or their website?
hudson

Post by hudson »

Almost there wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:10 pm I had problems with TurboTax and switched to H&R block quite a few years ago.
My experience too...I forgot why....maybe 10 plus years ago.

HR Block software isn’t perfect but it works.

I have the new version so that I can estimate my Apr 15 results.
student

Post by student »

ICMoney wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:11 pm I made the leap to get H&R Block for $29.95, since I saw an "offer" in my American Express card to get a $10 statement credit for any purchase $30 or more from H&R Block. With sales tax this ended up being around $32 for me, so net cost of $22. I got a confirmation email immediately from Amex as follows:

We appreciate you using your Amex Offer at HRBLOCK AT HOME. Look out for a $10.00 statement credit, which will automatically be applied to your statement if your purchase meets the offer terms.
Thanks for the link. Too late now as it is $44.95 https://www.hrblock.com/tax-software/
But I will watch for sale.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

student wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:08 am
Thanks for the link. Too late now as it is $44.95 https://www.hrblock.com/tax-software/
Unless you need that AmEx credit, why not just use the OP's link? That's a decent price.
student

Post by student »

neilpilot wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:35 am
student wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:08 am
Unless you need that AmEx credit, why not just use the OP's link? That's a decent price.
Good point. I will take another look.