Daycare Parting Gift

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
raamakoti

Daycare Parting Gift

Post by raamakoti » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:37 pm

my kid would start school next school season and that means end of daycare. They took good care of her for 5 years. We never had any bad experience in this entire period.
Now we want to give a good parting gift. I would appreciate, most of the teachers there are christians.
I wanted to give this to her because it shows mother caring for son. To show my appreciation of taking good care of our little one.
http://files.krishna.com/cgi-bin/ImageF ... g&img=&tt=
but boy is Krishna, most revered Hindu god.

would this offend people? I am at cross with my wife on this. I would appreciate people's reaction here. Thanks a lot for your help.

mhc

Re: Daycare Parting Gift

Post by mhc » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:44 pm

If the teacher is Christian, that would be a strange gift. It still may be appreciated, but maybe not to the level you want. If it represents your religion/culture, then maybe. If not, then I would look for something else.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:46 pm

I wouldn't think it would offend - but may end up in someone's attic - they are unlikely to appreciate the symbolism of it even if they aren't offended (I would hope no good Christian would be offended). Plus - isn't this really symbolic of a Son/Mother relationship versus a Teacher/Student relationship?

Most teachers I know are avid readers - we would always give out Bookstore gift cards.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:49 pm

Don't wast your money on that. Even if they aren't offended, it probably wont be in their taste. Give something consumable so it won't waste space in their house. Having your kids draw a thank you picture might also be nice

mortfree

Post by mortfree » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:57 pm

raamakoti wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:37 pm

I am at cross with my wife on this. I would appreciate people's reaction here. Thanks a lot for your help.
I find that my wife is usually more in tune with these kinds of things than me. I'd want to give the teacher x, but apparently something as simple as a target gift card is even better.

I am thinking that you should listen to your wife on this one as it seems she is opposed to your idea.

There are plenty of other ways to show your appreciation - have you considered a gift to the school?

Soul.in.Progress

Post by Soul.in.Progress » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:15 pm

I vote no. If you truly appreciate the care they provided for your child, then give them something that they would appreciate or make them happy, not something that would make you happy.
Start by doing what is necessary; | then do what is possible; | and suddenly you are doing the impossible. | -- Francis of Assisi

mouses

Post by mouses » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:24 pm

My apologies if that picture represents your own culture, but it is not something I would want.

I would give them a gift card to something like amazon, not some strange business they may not patronize, so that it is actual money.

raamakoti

Post by raamakoti » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:35 pm

Thank you for your response. I will find gift cards or nice quote as wall hanging especially this one

"A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world may be different, because I was important in the life of a child"

MI_bogle

Post by MI_bogle » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:00 pm

raamakoti wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:35 pm
Thank you for your response. I will find gift cards or nice quote as wall hanging especially this one

"A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world may be different, because I was important in the life of a child"
I think they would also appreciate a heartfelt thank-you letter from the parents, and perhaps also something from the child as well

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:15 pm

raamakoti wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:35 pm

Skip the wall hanger too, especially that one because it basically says they should be happy being poor. Your kids are special to you but they spend their whole careers with kids just like yours. If something like this had meaning to them, they'd already have it.

Thank you note + drawing from kid + gift card = success

CAsage

Post by CAsage » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:22 pm

I will strongly suggest a loving handwritten note from you, as well as something cute from your child (drawing or a nice thank you) and cash or check or gift card. When your child moves on, the relationship is over. People don't need more "things" in their lives, especially decorative items. Cash or equivalent, plus a note to show your deep appreciation.
Salvia Clevelandii "Winifred Gilman" my favorite. YMMV; not a professional advisor.

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:32 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:15 pm
Thank you note + drawing from kid + gift card = success
+1. My wife always appreciated handwritten notes, especially the ones that had a Chili's or Amazon giftcard attached. :D Granted none of this was expected, but she remembers those surprises especially well.

mxs

Post by mxs » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:52 pm

I agree on the parent's thank you note, child thank you note or drawing, and cash/gift card. Give them roughly what the painting or wall art would have cost, rounded. ($50, 100, etc.)

I personally prefer cash instead of gift cards. Gift cards effectively tell the person where they have to spend the money. Cash can be spent wherever they want.

StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:42 pm

Yeah, I would pass on that one.

While your heart is in the right place, some of the other gift suggestions would be better suited.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

Good Listener

Post by Good Listener » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:40 pm

Amazon gift cards or cash.

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:46 pm

We give the daycare teachers upscale snacks/candies around the holidays. It seems to always be a hit.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:54 pm

We give cash. I have a lot of friends and family who are teachers and that's what they say they prefer. They say they don't need more mugs or food :)

Teachers often aren't paid enough and great ones could be making more money doing other things. They're spending a lot of time helping improve our child's life. Cash is very appropriate in my opinion.