Iphone 4

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Caduceus

Iphone 4

Post by Caduceus » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:24 pm

Half the people I supervise have gotten the latest Iphones for themselves. Is it really that much better than an Iphone 4? What can it do that my phone can't? Apple's products seem to last forever, so why would people want to change their Iphones every three years? It just does not make sense to me.

I get a lot of good natured ribbing. It does not bother me, and I don't intend to switch out my Iphone 4 anytime soon. But I do find it a little confusing. I have tested the Iphone 8 and it doesn't seem to do anything my Iphone can't.

angelescrest

Re: Iphone 4

Post by angelescrest » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:37 pm

All cars do the same basic thing, some just do it better than others. Smartphones are similar, although in terms of software and performance the 8 is light years ahead of the 4. If you’re not using apps like I do, you’re not missing out. The camera in the X is so good I would have upgraded for that reason alone.
Last edited by angelescrest on Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pochax

Post by pochax » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:41 pm

if you use your phone to just make phone calls and check email and texts, i don't think you need to change.

the cameras on the newer phones are noticeably better in quality.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:43 pm

No need to update phones every year but the iPhone 4 is obsolete. It no longer receives updates, including security updates, and apps will no longer support the hardware. The battery will eventually not hold much of a charge.

Even if you simply use the phone for text messaging, phone calls, and occasional web browsing, the phone only supports 3G networks so as carriers move more and more of their spectrum to support their LTE networks you will get slower speeds and spottier coverage.

You can get an iPhone SE for $99. I would highly recommend the upgrade.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:46 pm

Caduceus wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:24 pm
Half the people I supervise have gotten the latest Iphones for themselves. Is it really that much better than an Iphone 4? What can it do that my phone can't? Apple's products seem to last forever, so why would people want to change their Iphones every three years? It just does not make sense to me.

I get a lot of good natured ribbing. It does not bother me, and I don't intend to switch out my Iphone 4 anytime soon. But I do find it a little confusing. I have tested the Iphone 8 and it doesn't seem to do anything my Iphone can't.
One issue is that the 4 no longer gets updates, so your phone will be more vulnerable to hacks and other security breaches.

There's no real new capability between the 4 and the 10- the 10 just does things better. However, I question how much you are really saving by suffering under such an old phone- even a $100 Android unit or $99 iphone SE would be an upgrade. You are probably paying almost $1,000 a year for the service anyways.

One thing that might be worth considering: I have a new iphone X for personal use and am still using a 5s issued by my employer. I find it is MUCH easier to type on the larger phone- I miss a lot more keys on the 5s and end up having to retype things. The camera is also better than anything I've ever owned- it really makes anything short of an SLR redundant. The 4's camera was nowhere close to that level. Finally, I find I get less eyestrain with the larger screen.

Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:53 pm

pochax wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:41 pm
if you use your phone to just make phone calls and check email and texts, i don't think you need to change.

But what do people do on Iphones apart from make calls, check emails, texts, and browse websites? Is the performance difference when it comes to playing games or watching videos (neither of which I do on the Iphone)?

pochax

Post by pochax » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:01 pm

Caduceus wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:53 pm
But what do people do on Iphones apart from make calls, check emails, texts, and browse websites? Is the performance difference when it comes to playing games or watching videos (neither of which I do on the Iphone)?
in terms of general use, yes.

but as other posters mentioned, there are security updates and connectivity/network issues as well - if you ever felt that your iphone 4 was a little slow, you may be impressed how fast the newer phones are with regards to map navigation, internet browsing, media consumption, etc. but if you don't do any of that, i am not sure you will notice the difference.

dadu007

Post by dadu007 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:24 pm

Caduceus wrote:
  • Run financial and banking apps (Schwab/AMEX/Fidelity/USAA), Run YNAB budgeting app, Listen to podcasts, use news apps (Reuters), Facebook, Reddit, Calendar, watch TV (Channels app), Twitter, Evernote, My Fitness Pal, Dashlane (password app), browse/search the web (Firefox/Chrome), edit Photos (Lightroom/Photoshop apps), weather apps, Ooma app, YouTube
My iPhone 6S+ is like a laptop in my pocket. I started on an iPhone 4S, which changed my life more than any other "thing" I've ever owned (my first car is right up there).

bltkmt

Post by bltkmt » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:26 pm

alfaspider wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:46 pm

One issue is that the 4 no longer gets updates, so your phone will be more vulnerable to hacks and other security breaches.
This is a pretty compelling reason to upgrade. I think the 5's cannot run iOS 11 either.

WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:38 pm

I just went from a 4 to a 6s. Many of the apps that I use or wanted to add were incompatible since I could not update the ios on my 4. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the 4 and the 6s is better but I did not want to change. Apple made it obsolete.

The 4 is now an ipod, that is a shame to me.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

crystalbank

Post by crystalbank » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:41 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:43 pm
Can you tell me how to get the SE for $99? That's such a killer deal. The SE is quite capable. I'm assuming this is an unlocked phone.

dadu007

Post by dadu007 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:45 pm

crystalbank wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:41 pm
Jags4186 wrote:
Can you tell me how to get the SE for $99? That's such a killer deal. The SE is quite capable. I'm assuming this is an unlocked phone.
I just bought a brand new "unlocked" SE for my wife (her 5S was failing). It was $349 from Apple. Any $99 phone will mean you are buying into another contract term. All our family phones are off-contract; "upgrading" to that $99 sweet deal means I would have have paid more monthly and lost my current (old, lower-priced) monthy rate.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:48 pm

dadu007 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:45 pm
crystalbank wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:
I just bought a brand new "unlocked" SE for my wife (her 5S was failing). It was $349 from Apple. Any $99 phone will mean you are buying into another contract term. All our family phones are off-contract; "upgrading" to that $99 sweet deal means I would have have paid more monthly and lost my current (old, lower-priced) monthy rate.
You can get a $99 iPhone from Boost Mobile. It’s advertised on their website. You don’t need to get Boost Mobile service to check out. It will work on Sprint’s network and MVNOs. If you have AT&T or T-Mobile (or related MVNO) you can get those variants at Best Buy for $149 for their respective networks.

Majoritay

Post by Majoritay » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:57 pm

Currently Target is running a sale on the iPhone SE for Black Friday, where it is $100. However you will need to use Total Wireless (Verizon carrier).

As it happens, I am going tonight to get my first ever smartphone: The iPhone SE! I am getting it with prepaid AT&T, because the pricing seems comparable to all the other MVNO carriers, and as an added bonus after 6 months of service AT&T will unlock the phone for you if you request. Price is $150, as the previous poster mentioned.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:24 pm

Warning Millennials, I'm going to enthusiastically support keeping the 4. You may want to turn your heads and watch TSLA drop instead of reading ahead.

I have a 4S. When an update comes, I reject it. I don't use apps. I don't even know my iTunes password so if I find an app that I might want, I just skip it. I read emails, text, look at Bogleheads. I don't listen to music on my phone.

I've asked a number of people who are apple fanbois why I would want a newer phone. I have yet to hear a single one that is of any use to me. Keep your 4. If you need a new one, you can get a used one on amazon for under $100 all day long unlocked and not linked to any phone plan.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

tenkuky

Post by tenkuky » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:50 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:24 pm
Warning Millennials, I'm going to enthusiastically support keeping the 4. You may want to turn your heads and watch TSLA drop instead of reading ahead.

I have a 4S. When an update comes, I reject it. I don't use apps. I don't even know my iTunes password so if I find an app that I might want, I just skip it. I read emails, text, look at Bogleheads. I don't listen to music on my phone.

I've asked a number of people who are apple fanbois why I would want a newer phone. I have yet to hear a single one that is of any use to me. Keep your 4. If you need a new one, you can get a used one on amazon for under $100 all day long unlocked and not linked to any phone plan.
+1
Spouse still has Iphone 4 and may spring for the SE. I upgraded from 3GS to 5S 2 years ago and have no intention of going further for a few years.
Suits my needs and my pocket.

mxs

Post by mxs » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:10 pm

My wife has a 4s with only 8 GB of storage, so that bottlenecks some capabilities. We have 2 kids movies and one short kids show on there for distractions as needed. The cameras on it aren't great so face time could be a lot better, and the pictures she takes of our kids could be better. In general apps will run faster on a newer iPhone. The SE is a 6 in the body of a 5s (read small form) so if you want a slight upgrade and don't want a large phone it is a good choice. I have to think your 4's battery is dying much quicker than it used to so that is another legit reason to upgrade.

For reference, the 4 was released in 2011, the 6 (which the SE is based on) in 2014, and SE in 2016, so you will still be 1 to 3 years "behind".

badbreath

Post by badbreath » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:18 pm

I went from the not really working apps and other things to the 6s yes it is worth the upgrade.
“While money can’t buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” Groucho Marx

pduan87

Post by pduan87 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:48 am

It kind of pains me to think of how many things a modern smartphone can do that actually improve quality of life which are almost impossible to do on an iPhone 4.

Ever use GPS or driving directions? Yelp to look up restaurants? Take a photo? Browse the internet? Check the weather? Check stocks? Email? Sports scores? Shop from Amazon? Mobile banking? Tripadvisor in foreign countries? Communicate in apps other than texting? Use social media? Watch videos or Netflix?

All of these things perform terribly on an iPhone 4 which is now a 7 year old phone. Getting a SE is a good option if you really don't want to pay too much and like the small form factor. But even paying $649 for the new iPhone 8 means you amortize that cost over 7 years resulting in less than $100/year for something most people use every single day.

pduan87

Post by pduan87 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:50 am

mxs wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:10 pm
My wife has a 4s with only 8 GB of storage, so that bottlenecks some capabilities. We have 2 kids movies and one short kids show on there for distractions as needed. The cameras on it aren't great so face time could be a lot better, and the pictures she takes of our kids could be better. In general apps will run faster on a newer iPhone. The SE is a 6 in the body of a 5s (read small form) so if you want a slight upgrade and don't want a large phone it is a good choice. I have to think your 4's battery is dying much quicker than it used to so that is another legit reason to upgrade.

For reference, the 4 was released in 2011, the 6 (which the SE is based on) in 2014, and SE in 2016, so you will still be 1 to 3 years "behind".
SE is based on 6S which is only 2 years old.

randomizer

Post by randomizer » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:38 am

The SE is pretty sweet. Fits nicely in your pocket but fast like a newer phone. Only downside: tiny screen is harder to read. I have one and aim to use it until it dies.

mxs

Post by mxs » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:02 am

pduan87 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:50 am
mxs wrote:

Your right, SE and 6s have A9 chip, 7 and 7 plus the A10, and 8, 8 plus, and X have the A11. SE is a great deal considering the normally high prices for Apple products.

Cash

Post by Cash » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:22 am

Back when the 5 came out, I told people it was worth upgrading just to get LTE. So much faster to download anything. But that was 5 years ago. Now there are just too many improvements to name. Not really sure why anyone would think it's worth holding on to a 7 year old phone. Just get the cheapest one Apple still sells to the public. It won't be as good as the newest phones, but it will certainly be light years ahead of what you currently have.

Jim85

Post by Jim85 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:37 am

I tend to hold on to my phone until there's a compelling reason to change. I recently drowned my LG Android phone and my wife's iPhone 5c was not holding a charge. I bought a iPhone 6s Plus 64GB in "mint" condition on Swappa ($400) and got my wife a 6S 32GB refurb from Apple (also $400ish). She has the smaller screen but also the 1 year warranty and new battery that Apple provides with the refurbs. I like the bigger screen for Google maps/GPS while driving. I think we are good for a while. Might be ready for the X when the XV is released.

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:45 am

Cash wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:22 am
Back when the 5 came out, I told people it was worth upgrading just to get LTE. So much faster to download anything. But that was 5 years ago. Now there are just too many improvements to name. Not really sure why anyone would think it's worth holding on to a 7 year old phone. Just get the cheapest one Apple still sells to the public. It won't be as good as the newest phones, but it will certainly be light years ahead of what you currently have.
+1. This says it all.

Sometimes cheap is frugal and sometimes cheap is just cheap. If you don’t see the incredible value added difference between an iPhone 4 and an iPhone SE, youre not using your phone correctly.

Angelus359

Post by Angelus359 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:21 am

If you like iPhone, buy the cheapest new iPhone to keep security updates going, and get a mvno like MetroPCS, or cricket

MetroPCS has a 30$ plan and runs on T-Mobile
IT-DevOps System Administrator

pochax

Post by pochax » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:26 am

AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:45 am
If you don’t see the incredible value added difference between an iPhone 4 and an iPhone SE, youre not using your phone correctly.
that's a bit much- how can one judge if someone is using it "correctly"? everyone's usage pattern is different.

NorCalDad

Post by NorCalDad » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:06 am

dadu007 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:45 pm
crystalbank wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:
I got a certified refurb SE for $110 from Consumer Cellular, my existing carrier. I guess it's a contract per se - you may have to pay a fee to unlock before 6 months. But at $45/month for two lines/3 GB data, I'd argue that it's not an onerous contract.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:10 am

I upgraded to a 7 because it was waterproof. Then I put it in a waterproof case. So far, it hasn't been ruined by water, so it's been worth it. If there's not a feature you want that requires an upgrade, don't upgrade.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:31 am

mxs wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:02 am
pduan87 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:50 am
mxs wrote:

Your right, SE and 6s have A9 chip, 7 and 7 plus the A10, and 8, 8 plus, and X have the A11. SE is a great deal considering the normally high prices for Apple products.
Getting a 32GB SE here in the next couple days for $149.99, whenever I can get to Kroger to buy a Target giftcard (6% cash back on my AMEX and 2X the fuel points) and then head to Target to pick up the phone.

We're on AT&T contract, but I can get the prepaid AT&T iPhone SE and pop in my old SIM. Apparently the biggest inconvenience might be a quick call to AT&T (oxymoron I know) to verify I'm not a thief trying to steal my identity. I'm so stoked to upgrade from my 5: better processor & camera, more RAM, iOS updates, and even a motion co-processor! I like to use my stuff till it's obsolete, and this iPhone 5 really feels slow/obsolete, plus the battery is starting to be really crummy. I primarily use the phone to check e-mail (Outlook & gmail), workout (Runtastic), listen to music/radio, surf the web, text with fam, follow the NHL, and occasionally check finances (Mint, Vanguard, Excel).

I've posted here before that I was going to get an X, but I just can't stomach the price. I also would worry so much about breaking the phone. My wife tried hard to encourage me to get the X because she thinks I've waited so long to upgrade my phone. I figure even if I want to bite the bullet on a 7 or 8 in a year or two, I've still paid less than $0.50/day for a new phone in the meantime.:beer

(ETA, I think the iPhone X is a beautiful device. I played with one on 2 different occasions in the Apple Store. I'm really glad they didn't have any in stock because I might be posting about how awesome it was to upgrade to one. :-) )

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:11 pm

pochax wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:26 am
AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:45 am
If you don’t see the incredible value added difference between an iPhone 4 and an iPhone SE, youre not using your phone correctly.
that's a bit much- how can one judge if someone is using it "correctly"? everyone's usage pattern is different.
This was a joke (partly). A take off on this...
Steve Jobs to iPhone 4 Owners: Stop Holding the Phone Wrong
http://mashable.com/2010/06/24/iphone-4 ... -response/

But seriously, for iPhone users, with the deals you can get on an iPhone SE amortized over say 2-3 years it’s peanuts to upgrade to LTE speeds and security updates alone. Btw, I’m only on my second phone for the last 6-7 years. The phone prior to my current one was in fact, an iPhone 4. So it’s not like I’m advocating serial upgrades.

siamond

Post by siamond » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:37 pm

I've been using an iPhone5 for quite a while, my children make fun of me, but it just does the job well, and I refuse to be caught in the marketing game of upgrading every year or every two years. Yes, the battery is getting a tad weaker, but not that noticeably.

I only started to falter a few weeks ago, when reflecting on security issues. I don't use financial apps on my iPhone besides check deposit on a checking account which is strongly protected by password+dongle, but anybody gaining access to my primary e-mail account could do very serious damage because of password recovery procedures. And well, unlocking a stolen phone with a 4 digits PIN shouldn't be too hard for somebody determined enough.

(while writing this post, I wondered if the iPhone5 allows for a more complex passcode, and it does! I just switched to a 6 digits PIN, this should give a bit more grief to thieves; I also noticed the self-erase mechanism after ten failed unlocking attempts - which was activated, good)

I was never convinced by the fingerprint approach though (saw too many movies where such mechanism is easily bypassed). I wonder if the face recognition thing will do significantly better - seems a bit fragile to me (what if I shave my beard? or bang my head and get a big bandage?). I guess I'll wait one more year, and re-assess... No rush!

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:45 pm

The only "problem" with the iphone4 is that it is small. Now that I'm used to a Plus sized device (Samsung Note 3), I don't think I can ever go back to something as tiny as the 4. It has those huge bezels hogging screen space. If you want to upgrade, the 6 is a great deal these days and can be found for $300 BNIB.

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:47 pm

siamond wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:37 pm
I've been using an iPhone5 for quite a while, my children make fun of me, but it just does the job well, and I refuse to be caught in the marketing game of upgrading every year or every two years. Yes, the battery is getting a tad weaker, but not that noticeably.

I only started to falter a few weeks ago, when reflecting on security issues. I don't use financial apps on my iPhone besides check deposit on a checking account which is strongly protected by password+dongle, but anybody gaining access to my primary e-mail account could do very serious damage because of password recovery procedures. And well, unlocking a stolen phone with a 4 digits PIN shouldn't be too hard for somebody determined enough.

(while writing this post, I wondered if the iPhone5 allows for a more complex passcode, and it does! I just switched to a 6 digits PIN, this should give a bit more grief to thieves; I also noticed the self-erase mechanism after ten failed unlocking attempts - which was activated, good)

I was never convinced by the fingerprint approach though (saw too many movies where such mechanism is easily bypassed). I wonder if the face recognition thing will do significantly better - seems a bit fragile to me (what if I shave my beard? or bang my head and get a big bandage?). I guess I'll wait one more year, and re-assess... No rush!
The threat of someone stealing your phone and breaking the 4 digit passcode is negligible imo. It’s not easy to break. The fbi paid a lot of money to do so in a recent case. I can’t imagine crooks would see stealing random phones and cracking them as a profitable business. If your phone gets stolen and you become aware of it, erase it using find my phone. I’d be more worried about malware on your computer, phishing, and your information being “out there” (Equifax, etc).

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:51 pm

Caduceus wrote:
pochax wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:41 pm

3g vs LTE is a huge speed difference for anything using data with cellular service. If you’re always on Wi-Fi, it won’t make as much difference — although the new phones are much faster as well.

siamond

Post by siamond » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:06 pm

AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:47 pm
The threat of someone stealing your phone and breaking the 4 digit passcode is negligible imo. It’s not easy to break. The fbi paid a lot of money to do so in a recent case. I can’t imagine crooks would see stealing random phones and cracking them as a profitable business. If your phone gets stolen and you become aware of it, erase it using find my phone. I’d be more worried about malware on your computer, phishing, and your information being “out there” (Equifax, etc).
Yes, you're right. I started to write my post assuming that one can simply try the 10,000 combinations (which isn't that hard), but I had forgotten about the "self-erase" mechanism (after 10 failed PIN attempts) which makes the point pretty much moot. And yes, your point about the other threats is indeed very true. Still, I would sleep better at night with a smartphone strongly protecting my e-mail access, and will be monitoring the news about the pros & cons of this Face ID concept. While certainly not rushing to upgrade! :wink:

bobolinx

Post by bobolinx » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:09 pm

The iphone 4 was my first smartphone. It was bought used on Amazon. I loved using it to travel. The phone, as a phone, was awful. My cheek kept hitting the mute button and I would always have to switch screens before talking. People complained about the voice quality. After one year, I bought an iPhone 5s, also used on Amazon. Much better voice clarity and faster to run apps. The only problem is that it does not have much memory for photos/music/apps. At some point, when I can no longer run the current OS, I will upgrade. The 4 is a brick compared to a 5. My husband has a 7, which he likes. Bought it when his Samsung was payed off, and then the software bugged out. He was quite disappointed in them and so far enjoys his 7. I struggle to not get caught up in the "upgrade" cycle, but the newer technology is amazing, useful, and efficient. If you can, enjoy the newer technology!

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:02 pm

bobolinx wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:09 pm
The iphone 4 was my first smartphone. It was bought used on Amazon. I loved using it to travel. The phone, as a phone, was awful. My cheek kept hitting the mute button and I would always have to switch screens before talking. People complained about the voice quality. After one year, I bought an iPhone 5s, also used on Amazon. Much better voice clarity and faster to run apps. The only problem is that it does not have much memory for photos/music/apps. At some point, when I can no longer run the current OS, I will upgrade. The 4 is a brick compared to a 5. My husband has a 7, which he likes. Bought it when his Samsung was payed off, and then the software bugged out. He was quite disappointed in them and so far enjoys his 7. I struggle to not get caught up in the "upgrade" cycle, but the newer technology is amazing, useful, and efficient. If you can, enjoy the newer technology!
I completely agree that there have been huge improvements since the 4. I have a 6s+ and my wife has an SE and either of those phones is fine with me but I’d never go back to a 4 to save a few bucks.