Better way to get rid of old fridge?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Nearly A Moose

Better way to get rid of old fridge?

Post by Nearly A Moose » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:39 am

We likely will be upgrading our fridge this month. Lowes and Best Buy will both haul away our existing fridge for $15. I'm tempted to do that because it's easy, but I was wondering if anyone knows of other (easy) ways to get rid of a fridge. The old one still works, but it's showing signs it's going to become increasingly less reliable, and we don't like the style/layout anyway. I don't want to mess with Craigslisting it, and we don't have room to store it. Are there charities that come and collect old appliances like this? I itemize and am in a high marginal tax bracket, which for better or worse is driving this question.

Edit: I live in DC in case anyone has local knowledge.
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

dm200

Re: Better way to get rid of old fridge?

Post by dm200 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:42 am

Nearly A Moose wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:39 am
We likely will be upgrading our fridge this month. Lowes and Best Buy will both haul away our existing fridge for $15. I'm tempted to do that because it's easy, but I was wondering if anyone knows of other (easy) ways to get rid of a fridge. The old one still works, but it's showing signs it's going to become increasingly less reliable, and we don't like the style/layout anyway. I don't want to mess with Craigslisting it, and we don't have room to store it. Are there charities that come and collect old appliances like this? I itemize and am in a high marginal tax bracket, which for better or worse is driving this question.
$15 seems like a "no brainer" bargain.

Sometimes, I have seen "curb alerts" on our neighborhood email list for such items. Then, it costs ZERO - and someone gets it for their need/use.
Last edited by dm200 on Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

dbr

Post by dbr » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:43 am

Another possibility is to give it away to someone or some organization you know that will come and haul it away. Actually advertising as free goods on a list would already be too much trouble. Giving away worn out stuff is also a dubious favor. Letting Best Buy take it is a pretty simple option.

Traditionally, of course, old refrigerators are stored plugged in in the basement and held down by a load of beer.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:45 am

You likely have a "ReStore" (Habitat for Humanity) near you. Where I live, they will come pick it up. They don't use them. The sell it for scrap metal.

Teague

Post by Teague » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:53 am

Nearly A Moose wrote:

Stick it out next to the street with a sign:

First try a sign that says "Free." A scrapper may take it away.

If no takers, change the sign to "$50." A thief will then do the job that should have been done by the scrapper.
Semper Augustus

CyberBob

Post by CyberBob » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:57 am

How about your electric company?
Mine promotes the energy efficiency of new appliances by offering to take old refrigerators and pay you $75.

https://www.firstenergycorp.com/save_en ... #gsc.tab=0
Last edited by CyberBob on Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ron

Post by Ron » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:57 am

My electric utility has a program where they will pick it up (must be running) and give you a $20 bill credit. I'm assuming that it still must be operational is because the recycle center wants to tap the old Freon from the unit.

- Ron

J295

Post by J295 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:58 am

Reaffirm the Habitat for Humanity route. Call or email them and see if they want it.

Different situation, but when we remodeled they sent over 6 construction volunteers who took all appliances, doors, cabinets, etc. They did the demolition work necessary to get these items out. Win-win.

Doug E. Dee

Post by Doug E. Dee » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:03 am

I just bought a fridge from Lowe's a couple weeks ago and the $15 take away fee seems like a bargain, if your electric co doesn't have a program as mentioned above.

But my fridge was not working right so really no other option, except maybe the free for scrap route. But that would mean I'd have to get it out of the house somehow.
Last edited by Doug E. Dee on Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

lhl12

Post by lhl12 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:03 am

You might also consider this approach:

http://dontevenreply.com/view.php?post=50

Toons

Post by Toons » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:22 am

Let Them Haul It Away,
Keep It Simple
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:25 am

Over the years we have put our fridges, stoves and freezers (with doors REMOVED) out at the curb the night before trash pick up. The metal salvagers have taken them away every time.

dbr

Post by dbr » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:28 am

bob60014 wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:25 am
Over the years we have put our fridges, stoves and freezers (with doors REMOVED) out at the curb the night before trash pick up. The metal salvagers have taken them away every time.
Yes, we have a fairly efficient underground economy of scavengers in our neighborhood. Thank you for the reminder to remove doors. I was going to mention that.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:32 am

I gave mine to charity and they did come and take it. The reason for the donation was that I moved, no new fridge delivery possible.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:59 am

$15? C'mon!

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:14 pm

SrGrumpy wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:59 am
$15? C'mon!
Yep, its at least $50 to take it away where I live. You have a bargain.

spammagnet

Post by spammagnet » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:20 pm

As mentioned, utilities often offer a rebate. It has to be working, not because somebody wants the refrigerant, but because there's no reason to pay you if they're not takIng an inefficient appliance off their grid. Reducing demand by buying old refrigerators is cheaper for them than building new capacity in the form of a new plant.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:21 pm

Nearly A Moose wrote:

As per others.

I would just let them take it away, unless it's less than 10 years old, say.

$15 to get rid of a fridge is a steal. Equivalent cost in London England is over £50 ($75).

Also they will be forced to safely dispose of it, and to safely dispose of the Freon, which is a very serious environmental pollutant (any CFC, HCFCs used now are not great, but they are not as serious as CFCs-- i'd have to check when the US phased out the former under the Montreal Protocol).

If the fridge is more than about 15 years old these are serious considerations and it will also be energy inefficient-- better just to scrap it (if it was built before 2002 anyways-- have to check the exact date of the US legislation).

BTW, just in case, our laws prohibit leaving a fridge outdoors for disposal with the door still on. Consider what happens if some child decides it's fun to crawl inside, and the door closes ...

Post by 123 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:53 pm

dm200 wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:42 am
$15 seems like a "no brainer" bargain.

Sometimes, I have seen "curb alerts" on our neighborhood email list for such items. Then, it costs ZERO - and someone gets it for their need/use.
+1 Yes $15 is a bargain indeed. It could be even a better bargain depending on how large the old refrigerator is and how difficult it would be to get it out of your house (stairs etc). Do you need/have a furniture dolly to move it or will you have to rent one? For $15 it's just gone with no worries. It would probably still be a bargain if it were $50.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:36 pm

Teague wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:53 am
Nearly A Moose wrote:

If no takers, change the sign to "$50." A thief will then do the job that should have been done by the scrapper.
DO NOT DO THIS WITHOUT REMOVING THE DOORS. Kids have been trapped and died inside fridges.

Your electric company may offer a bounty for retrieving old appliances. When I moved in CA a few years ago they paid me to pick it up.

Teague

Post by Teague » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:51 pm

Yossarian wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:36 pm
Teague wrote:
Nearly A Moose wrote:

DO NOT DO THIS WITHOUT REMOVING THE DOORS. Kids have been trapped and died inside fridges.

Your electric company may offer a bounty for retrieving old appliances. When I moved in CA a few years ago they paid me to pick it up.
Yes, kids getting trapped inside is indeed a real risk - if the refrigerator was made before 1958. That is, before the Refrigerator Safety Act of 1956 changed the way the doors are held closed.
Semper Augustus

AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:53 pm

Yossarian wrote:
Teague wrote:

It is likely that putting a refrigerator out without removing the doors is illegal...
The police said it is illegal to discard or abandon a refrigerator without removing its door.

Flobes

Post by Flobes » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:38 am

Utility Company +3

Lowes took the old fridge out to the porch when they delivered new fridge: no charge.

Called utility company, made an appointment, they picked it up, and paid me $50. Note: Fridge must be plugged and working.

OP, Google says this is similarly offered in DC:
https://homeenergysavings.pepco.com/app ... g-program#
Last edited by Flobes on Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

badbreath

Post by badbreath » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:49 am

the $15 is for recycle fee seems like a bargain.
“While money can’t buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” Groucho Marx

Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:31 am

Thanks all. I'll do a quick check on whether DC will pay me to have them pick up but otherwise will just let Lowe's deal with it for $15. Sounds like anything else involves more effort than I feel like making here.
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:03 am

Teague wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:51 pm
Yossarian wrote:
Teague wrote:
Nearly A Moose wrote:

Yes, kids getting trapped inside is indeed a real risk - if the refrigerator was made before 1958. That is, before the Refrigerator Safety Act of 1956 changed the way the doors are held closed.
I worried about that when we left ours on the curb for the scrappers. So I duct taped the door shut. And trust me, no kid that could have fit in that fridge was going to get that door open.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

celia

Post by celia » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:30 am

CyberBob wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:57 am
Mine promotes the energy efficiency of new appliances by offering to take old refrigerators and pay you $75.
+1 Edison does something like this too in So. Calif. (It still needs to be working (defined as generating cold air) since it needs to be plugged in when they pick it up.) Giving it to someone else to use doesn't save energy usage. You just have someone else pay the bill, until it breaks down and then they need to get an energy efficient one.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:44 am

Honestly, I would put it on Craigslist for $10.

In my area, someone would buy it within an hour.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:36 pm

Considering I would pay someone more than $20 to move my fridge out of the house, paying someone else $15 seems like a steal.

SuperGrafx

Post by SuperGrafx » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:54 pm

Spend the $15.
Be done with it. Hassle free and convenient.

Tamarind

Post by Tamarind » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:00 pm

CyberBob wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:57 am
This. There are programs that pay utilities to ensure old appliances are safely recycled (rather than gutted of metal by scrappers and dumped), and to remove older less efficient appliances from circulation (rather than having them reused). That's why they'll pay you for it. $50 near me which offset a chunk of the cost of the new one. Check your electrical utility's website before paying even $15 to have it hauled away.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:06 pm

runner3081 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:44 am

Same here.

I got a 'free' fridge from someone who had just pushed it to the curb and was hanging the sign. Best thing ever! Now it's in our garage, full of soda, beer, fruit cups & ice cream :beer

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:23 pm

sunny_socal wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:06 pm
runner3081 wrote:

Same here.

I got a 'free' fridge from someone who had just pushed it to the curb and was hanging the sign. Best thing ever! Now it's in our garage, full of soda, beer, fruit cups & ice cream :beer
Living in SoCal you would know this but one should always use a plug meter on an old fridge.

It could be burning 100 kwhr pcm when a new fridge burns less than 50. And it will run at peak rate times.

People often do not realize that a 1980s beer fridge could be burning 2000 kwhr pa.

whatusername?

Post by whatusername? » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:33 pm

Nearly A Moose wrote:

Having been the recipient of a free fridge on Craigslist before, I'd suggest listing it anyway. I was super-grateful to get someone's fridge when they upgraded. It only lasted 2 years for me, but it was a lifesaver. They made clear in the ad, however, that I needed to be able to move/load/handle it, so I was happy to do so.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:55 pm

Valuethinker wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:23 pm
sunny_socal wrote:
runner3081 wrote:

Same here.

Living in SoCal you would know this but one should always use a plug meter on an old fridge.

It could be burning 100 kwhr pcm when a new fridge burns less than 50. And it will run at peak rate times.

People often do not realize that a 1980s beer fridge could be burning 2000 kwhr pa.
It does run quite a bit, but I don't care - I have solar! :wink:

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:17 pm

sunny_socal wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:55 pm
Valuethinker wrote:
sunny_socal wrote:
runner3081 wrote:

Same here.

It will run at night?

And you get an export rate for power sold back to the grid?

So you are losing that tariff?

"First, do no harm". The first step is always to maximize your domestic energy efficiency. *Then* the economics of self generation kick in.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:36 pm

Valuethinker wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:17 pm
sunny_socal wrote:
Valuethinker wrote:
sunny_socal wrote:
runner3081 wrote:

Same here.

It will run at night?

"First, do no harm". The first step is always to maximize your domestic energy efficiency. *Then* the economics of self generation kick in.
The utility doesn't pay me much for any 'extra' power I generate, so it behooves me to break even annually with the electricity I produce vs what I consume. I also heat my house in the winter with electric radiators. I pay a $50 electric bill each year only because it's required (ie. local fees cannot be offset by the credit for my solar electricity for some reason) I'm on net metering which bills me once a year, they pay no attention to when my fridge actually runs.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:33 am

sunny_socal wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:36 pm
Valuethinker wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:17 pm
sunny_socal wrote:
Valuethinker wrote:
sunny_socal wrote:

Same here.

It will run at night?

The utility doesn't pay me much for any 'extra' power I generate, so it behooves me to break even annually with the electricity I produce vs what I consume. I also heat my house in the winter with electric radiators. I pay a $50 electric bill each year only because it's required (ie. local fees cannot be offset by the credit for my solar electricity for some reason) I'm on net metering which bills me once a year, they pay no attention to when my fridge actually runs.
Hi

This all makes sense, then.

Note that the utility model is becoming one of the broadband supplier. You pay for the connection to the internet and you pay for the capacity of your pipe. You do not pay by units of use.

As there is more and more "behind the meter" generation like yours, that's where the model is going to go.

You are paying for having an electricity supply at night-- when your solar does not generate, and presumably you do not have batteries? Similarly when it is raining and solar output can fall to 10% of peak. You are "self sufficient" in a consumption sense, but not in a time of day sense (assuming like most people your usage peaks in early evening).

So charges for just having a grid connection will go up - the units-of-use model will actually become obsolete (although it will be a long time dying).

In some senses it is good that you are paid minimal for power upload, because that often comes at a time when the grid cannot use it. Peak will be at or after sundown.

bbees

Post by bbees » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:07 pm

I paid $100 for 2 old refrigerators a few years ago, a 1999 models--put one in shop works fine and gave other to a friend for some electrical work, his is still running fine.

You might give it to the local volunteer fire dept if you have one or American Legion if it is still working.