Costco for tires and car insurance?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
gasdoc

Re: Costco for tires and car insurance?

Post by gasdoc » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:52 am

Kaufman Tire sponsors NFL football teams in our area of the country- the Southeast. They run a promo where they discount their tires $30 for each quarter that the team scores, but only for one day, the day after the game. Our NFL team scored in all four quarters (unusual), so 4 tires were discounted $120 on top of the rebates already in place.

gasdoc

technovelist

Post by technovelist » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:55 am

I have bought tires both at Costco and at a local tire dealer, and have been happy with both.

I'm going to need tires for two of my vehicles pretty soon.

My current plan is to go to Costco and get a firm quote, then see if the local dealer will match it or at least come close.

If it's close, I'll go with the local dealer, who has good service and is a lot more convenient; my nearest Costco is 60 miles away, which is a long trip if you have a tire problem. :mrgreen:
In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, they often differ.

Just sayin...

Post by Just sayin... » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:33 am

OP,

I live in your city and have first-hand experience with both Costco and DT in the past month. The prices vary back and forth depending on current sale deals, but the tie-breaker is which employee you deal with. For example, I had DT mount my new Blizzaks on some take-off rims I bought unused at a local dealer, and they did a LOUSY job of balancing them. Went back and the second (free) balance made all the difference in the world. You can negotiate the DT replacement tire warranty to a lower amount (many people do not think about this), and they will match lower prices. Costco has a nice new appointment scheduler on the web, so you can pick your appointment slot a lot easier than with DT. Plus, you can either shop at Costco, Safeway or Whole Foods, or cross the street to Starbucks while you wait for your tires at Costco. DT, on the other hand, only has Lowe’s, Home Depot or Michaels within a short walk.

Costco auto insurance would not cover us because we have horses - so we had to stick with U$AA (for now). You can ping me offline if you’d like for more detail (dealing with four vehicles).

technovelist

Post by technovelist » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:38 am

Just sayin... wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:33 am
OP,

I live in your city and have first-hand experience with both Costco and DT in the past month. The prices vary back and forth depending on current sale deals, but the tie-breaker is which employee you deal with. For example, I had DT mount my new Blizzaks on some take-off rims I bought unused at a local dealer, and they did a LOUSY job of balancing them. Went back and the second (free) balance made all the difference in the world. You can negotiate the DT replacement tire warranty to a lower amount (many people do not think about this), and they will match lower prices. Costco has a nice new appointment scheduler on the web, so you can pick your appointment slot a lot easier than with DT. Plus, you can either shop at Costco, Safeway or Whole Foods, or cross the street to Starbucks while you wait for your tires at Costco. DT, on the other hand, only has Lowe’s, Home Depot or Michaels within a short walk.

Costco auto insurance would not cover us because we have horses - so we had to stick with U$AA (for now). You can ping me offline if you’d like for more detail (dealing with four vehicles).
What does auto insurance have to do with horses? :confused

gasdoc

Post by gasdoc » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:45 am

technovelist wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:38 am
Just sayin... wrote:
OP,

My infinity has over 300 "horses," and I had no difficulty getting auto insurance.

gasdoc

Just sayin...

Post by Just sayin... » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:52 am

technovelist wrote:
We have a horse trailer to move them around (my wife likes going to shows). When I mentioned that we had a horse trailer, they stopped the conversation immediately.

technovelist

Post by technovelist » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:38 pm

Just sayin... wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:52 am
technovelist wrote:
We have a horse trailer to move them around (my wife likes going to shows). When I mentioned that we had a horse trailer, they stopped the conversation immediately.
I see. How weird.

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:58 pm

Which flyer? I see the $70 off but no mention of 1 cent installation.
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:59 pm

Just sayin... wrote:
You can negotiate the DT replacement tire warranty to a lower amount (many people do not think about this), and they will match lower prices.
I found out something interesting about price matching tires last night while finishing my research to decide what to get for my own case.

Based in large part on Consumer Reports testing, I hoped to get the Michelin Defenders, but Costco doesn't sell them. They do sell a tire called the X-Tour for a similar price that Consumer Reports has never tested. Discount Tire and Tire Rack don't have listings for it, so I couldn't find user reviews there. Michelin doesn't even list it on their own website - this tire might as well be a Les Schwab product for all I could find out about it.

I finally got some hits when I did a web search for possible comparisons: "Michelin x-tour vs defender."

Supposedly (not officially confirmed) the X-Tour is a relabeled Defender specifically for Costco and Sam's Club so that other tire stores won't have to price match them. I suppose this gets done with other models as well, although I didn't investigate further.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:02 pm

BW1985 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:58 pm
Which flyer? I see the $70 off but no mention of 1 cent installation.
The mailed coupon book. You can see a scanned copy here:
https://slickdeals.net/article/buying-g ... aysavings1

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:11 pm

iamlucky13 wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:12 pm
sport wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:35 am
catdude wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:28 am
sport wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:19 am
catdude wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:16 am
OP here again. Thanks again to everyone for sharing your experiences. I think I'll wait till next month and see if Costco does a sale on Michelins. I've got a set of Michelins for my 2007 Camry, which I'm in the process of selling. They've been good tires, so I feel inclined to get another set for the Ford Escape.
The sale of $70 off the regular price of a set of 4 tires occurs regularly. However, there is currently an additional sale of 1 cent installation per tire. This special occurs much less often. If you want tires now, I would suggest taking advantage of that double special while it is still available. The regular installation cost is $15 per tire, so that is an additional $59.96 off the regular price.
OK, thanks sport for the tip, I think I'll take advantage of that offer.
The sale goes through 11/16.
If I'm reading the current flyer correctly, the current sale is for Bridgestones ($70 off set of 4, 1 cent installation), ending 11/16.

The next sale is Michelins (same $70 off, 1 cent installation), running 11/17 - 11/22.
Ah, I see thank you.

The tires I want would have to be ordered which it says 5-10 business days. I wonder how that works with the 1 cent install sale since the tires wouldn't be at the club ready for install until after the sale. Anybody done this?
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:28 pm

When does everyone replace? I'm at 4/32" and considering 'winter is coming' I'm thinking it's probably best to do it now even though they have some life left (in dry conditions atleast).

technovelist

Post by technovelist » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:39 pm

iamlucky13 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:59 pm
Just sayin... wrote:
You can negotiate the DT replacement tire warranty to a lower amount (many people do not think about this), and they will match lower prices.
I found out something interesting about price matching tires last night while finishing my research to decide what to get for my own case.

Based in large part on Consumer Reports testing, I hoped to get the Michelin Defenders, but Costco doesn't sell them. They do sell a tire called the X-Tour for a similar price that Consumer Reports has never tested. Discount Tire and Tire Rack don't have listings for it, so I couldn't find user reviews there. Michelin doesn't even list it on their own website - this tire might as well be a Les Schwab product for all I could find out about it.

I finally got some hits when I did a web search for possible comparisons: "Michelin x-tour vs defender."

Supposedly (not officially confirmed) the X-Tour is a relabeled Defender specifically for Costco and Sam's Club so that other tire stores won't have to price match them. I suppose this gets done with other models as well, although I didn't investigate further.
Costco has unique model numbers for certain products, supposedly for this reason. I believe Amazon even lists some of these "unique" models as being equivalent to other "retail" numbers, but I haven't checked on that recently.

technovelist

Post by technovelist » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:40 pm

BW1985 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:11 pm
iamlucky13 wrote:
sport wrote:
catdude wrote:
sport wrote:

The sale of $70 off the regular price of a set of 4 tires occurs regularly. However, there is currently an additional sale of 1 cent installation per tire. This special occurs much less often. If you want tires now, I would suggest taking advantage of that double special while it is still available. The regular installation cost is $15 per tire, so that is an additional $59.96 off the regular price.
If I'm reading the current flyer correctly, the current sale is for Bridgestones ($70 off set of 4, 1 cent installation), ending 11/16.

The next sale is Michelins (same $70 off, 1 cent installation), running 11/17 - 11/22.
Ah, I see thank you.

The tires I want would have to be ordered which it says 5-10 business days. I wonder how that works with the 1 cent install sale since the tires wouldn't be at the club ready for install until after the sale. Anybody done this?
You could call them and ask but I would give long odds that it won't be a problem, since this must come up all the time and they don't want to have sales that annoy their customers.

technovelist

Post by technovelist » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:43 pm

BW1985 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:28 pm
When does everyone replace? I'm at 4/32" and considering 'winter is coming' I'm thinking it's probably best to do it now even though they have some life left (in dry conditions atleast).
The middle band that shows the wear the fastest is pretty smooth on my cars, but I'm waiting until they fail inspection.
But I live in Texas, so winter isn't nearly as big a problem in general as it is farther north.

However, for $130 off with the Costco install + sale, maybe I'll go wild and do it next week.

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:49 pm

technovelist wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:43 pm
BW1985 wrote:
The middle band that shows the wear the fastest is pretty smooth on my cars, but I'm waiting until they fail inspection.
But I live in Texas, so winter isn't nearly as big a problem in general as it is farther north.

However, for $130 off with the Costco install + sale, maybe I'll go wild and do it next week.
Yeah I'm in Minnesota so winter is more of a concern here :twisted: I think I'll take the sale as a good reason to do it.

3dream3

Post by 3dream3 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:53 pm

technovelist wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:40 pm
BW1985 wrote:
You could call them and ask but I would give long odds that it won't be a problem, since this must come up all the time and they don't want to have sales that annoy their customers.
This was the same situation for me when I had to wait for tires to be delivered last year. They said as long as I order/pay for the tires in store during the sale period, they will still honor that price and any other installation deals that are going on at that particular time. So just talk to someone in the department... they should be able to do the same as long as you're ordering at the store as opposed to online.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:50 pm

These Michelin tire sales at Costco would be great, however I think you need to buy four tires. We just replaced two tires and the other two srill have, probably several years more until they need replacement. We only drive that car about 5,000 - 7,000 miles per year.

Chip

Post by Chip » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:38 am

BW1985 wrote:
Recent thread on that topic here.

I thought there was a surprising amount of consensus in that thread that 4/32" was a good time to replace. Or maybe I'm biased because that's what I usually do...

If I were in MN I'd be buying winter tires on dedicated steel rims. 8-)

Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:33 am

technovelist wrote:
BW1985 wrote:

This would be nearly instant death in a South Florida thunderstorm. I hope you slow way down in an infrequent rain storm but you are exposing yourself to a flat tire with the smallest of nails and screws.
FIRE July 2015 The US government spends nearly the ENTIRETY of its tax revenue on Social Security, Medicare, and Interest on the Debt.

bubbadog

Post by bubbadog » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:41 am

Blueskies123 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:33 am
technovelist wrote:
BW1985 wrote:

This would be nearly instant death in a South Florida thunderstorm. I hope you slow way down in an infrequent rain storm but you are exposing yourself to a flat tire with the smallest of nails and screws.
If the middle band is pretty smooth, your tires needed replaced yesterday. Please don't wait until they fail inspection to replace.

technovelist

Post by technovelist » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:49 am

bubbadog wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:41 am
Blueskies123 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:33 am
technovelist wrote:
BW1985 wrote:

If the middle band is pretty smooth, your tires needed replaced yesterday. Please don't wait until they fail inspection to replace.
I'll do it this week. Thanks for your concern.
Last edited by technovelist on Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

smithmmark

Post by smithmmark » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:36 am

iamlucky13 wrote:
sport wrote:
catdude wrote:
sport wrote:
catdude wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:16 am
OP here again. Thanks again to everyone for sharing your experiences. I think I'll wait till next month and see if Costco does a sale on Michelins. I've got a set of Michelins for my 2007 Camry, which I'm in the process of selling. They've been good tires, so I feel inclined to get another set for the Ford Escape.

Where can I see the next sale for Michelins, running 11/17 - 11/22?

technovelist

Post by technovelist » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:40 am

smithmmark wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:36 am
iamlucky13 wrote:
sport wrote:
catdude wrote:
sport wrote:

Where can I see the next sale for Michelins, running 11/17 - 11/22?
It's in their "Holiday Savings" flyer.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:07 pm

BW1985 wrote:
If you are ordering online and shipping to a club, you are charged for installation at the time of your order. Since the promo is still active, this would add $0.04 to your order, unless you're in a state that levies it's own installation "fee". In Illinois my installation total came to $10.04.

My winter tires ordered during the promo are being installed as I type this. I've special-ordered 5 sets of tires in the past 6 years. In my experience, they NEVER take 5-10 days to arrive. 2-4 is typical.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:24 pm

We always buy tires at Costco and currently have their insurance.Happy and will be checking rates when our policy renews pretty soon.Geico and State Farm have always been very high in the Bay Area whenever I have checked them out.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:47 pm

The two Michelin tires my wife bought at Costco for our '98 Camry (between $200 and $300 total) are Michelin Defender - a very, very highly rated tire by the Consumer Reports annual buying guide (just received in the mail last week)