Mozilla Firefox Donations?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
User avatar
Sheepdog
Posts: 4775
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:05 pm
Location: Indiana, retired 1998 at age 65

Mozilla Firefox Donations?

Post by Sheepdog » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:06 pm

Mozilla Firefox often asks for donations, but I never have given. I wondered why I should.
I am asking the forum today because Firefox issued an upgrade of which they are saying connections are much faster. I agree that it is faster after my download this morning.
Do some of you donate? Should we? If so, how much are you comfortable with? if you don't mind telling.
Thanks.
People should not say everything they think. They should think about everything they say.

azurekep
Posts: 942
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:16 pm

Re: Mozilla Firefox Donations?

Post by azurekep » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:16 pm

Sheepdog wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:06 pm
Mozilla Firefox often asks for donations, but I never have given. I wondered why I should.
I am asking the forum today because Firefox issued an upgrade of which they are saying connections are much faster. I agree that it is faster after my download this morning.
Do some of you donate? Should we? If so, how much are you comfortable with? if you don't mind telling.
Thanks.
I personally don't care for the direction Firefox is going -- and their inflexibility about giving the user choice -- but if you appreciate their efforts, a donation would certainly be appreciated by them. Donations seem to "feel" better however when you're dealing with a small software program and an individual developer. At this point, Mozilla is like a major corporation.

FWIW, I once donated $20 to an individual developer for a freeware program. I did it because the program was so good and he was offering it for free rather than as shareware. I figure $20 was what I would pay if he ever went the shareware route.

Afty
Posts: 523
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:31 pm

Re: Mozilla Firefox Donations?

Post by Afty » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:23 pm

Mozilla is a non-profit and derives most of their revenue through making deals for who gets to be the default search engine in Firefox. I do think they provide a good balance when all the other browser vendors are big for-profit companies with various vested interests. I can understand wanting to support them by donating.

jebmke
Posts: 6850
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Mozilla Firefox Donations?

Post by jebmke » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:37 pm

The new version just updated my browser. It appears to have dropped support for Noscript. Too early to tell on other add-ons but they appear gone.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

orlandoman
Posts: 420
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:27 am

Re: Mozilla Firefox Donations?

Post by orlandoman » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:08 pm

Mozilla also has a free email client called Thunderbird, which I use. I replaced Microsoft Oulook, which is a paid product. It is an ad free software program and I made a donation to Mozilla.
Subaru Ambassador in Central Florida

JohnFiscal
Posts: 458
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:28 pm
Location: USA

Re: Mozilla Firefox Donations?

Post by JohnFiscal » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:15 pm

In the same vein, I donate annually to Wikipedia, support/subscribe to Slate, The Guardian (online), The Intercept, and some other online types of services, as well as 3 public radio stations. I have sent one-(or multi-)time contributions to other software developer groups as well (TrueCrypt, for example). All when I believe they are providing worthwhile services.

I also tip a nominal amount for folks who bus my table at those restaurants where you wait in a line at the counter and then seat yourself. Of course, I am totally happy to bus myself at McD's, etc.

User avatar
triceratop
Moderator
Posts: 3610
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:20 pm
Location: la la land

Re: Mozilla Firefox Donations?

Post by triceratop » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:22 pm

azurekep wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:16 pm
Sheepdog wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:06 pm
Mozilla Firefox often asks for donations, but I never have given. I wondered why I should.
I am asking the forum today because Firefox issued an upgrade of which they are saying connections are much faster. I agree that it is faster after my download this morning.
Do some of you donate? Should we? If so, how much are you comfortable with? if you don't mind telling.
Thanks.
I personally don't care for the direction Firefox is going -- and their inflexibility about giving the user choice -- but if you appreciate their efforts, a donation would certainly be appreciated by them. Donations seem to "feel" better however when you're dealing with a small software program and an individual developer. At this point, Mozilla is like a major corporation.

FWIW, I once donated $20 to an individual developer for a freeware program. I did it because the program was so good and he was offering it for free rather than as shareware. I figure $20 was what I would pay if he ever went the shareware route.
Mozilla Foundation is also a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization and wholly owns the Mozilla Corporation.

I do not like the direction Chrome is going re: privacy and the monolithicity of Google, er, Alphabet, bundling its products like Hangouts only on Chrome. It's important to me and many others to always ensure a free and open web.

Just as an example: an idea like Containers which the latest Firefox has for separating your various online roles is not useful to Google at all.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

Jacotus
Posts: 224
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:07 pm

Re: Mozilla Firefox Donations?

Post by Jacotus » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:27 pm

jebmke wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:37 pm
The new version just updated my browser. It appears to have dropped support for Noscript. Too early to tell on other add-ons but they appear gone.
The updated version of NoScript should be coming later today, according to the developer.

Blueskies123
Posts: 216
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:18 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Mozilla Firefox Donations?

Post by Blueskies123 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:41 pm

Wow, it just downloaded the update and it is MUCH faster. Maybe a donation is worth it, the last few years I noticed FF running a bit slower.
FIRE July 2015 The US government spends nearly the ENTIRETY of its tax revenue on Social Security, Medicare, and Interest on the Debt.

runner3081
Posts: 769
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Mozilla Firefox Donations?

Post by runner3081 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:52 pm

I ditched FF for Opera a year ago. It was a great move.

User avatar
BTDT
Posts: 763
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:40 am
Location: Grand Lake OK

Re: Mozilla Firefox Donations?

Post by BTDT » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:14 pm

Seems like many want something for nothing. Yes I donate to the things I use frequently such as Mozilla, Bogleheads, Wikipedia, CBrats,......etc.. I guess I was brought up different and to each their own.... :oops:
If past history was all that is needed to play the game of money, the richest people would be librarians.

User avatar
Toons
Posts: 12013
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:20 am
Location: Hills of Tennessee

Re: Mozilla Firefox Donations?

Post by Toons » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:16 pm

If you use Mozilla a lot,
I would donate something.
I use Wikipedia all the time.
They ask for donations.
Once per year I donate. :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

TravelGeek
Posts: 1163
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: Mozilla Firefox Donations?

Post by TravelGeek » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:34 pm

I have donated to Mozilla in the past. Just downloaded the latest version and will have to spend time figuring out what changed and whether to make it my default browser. I do appreciate their efforts overall, just like I appreciate the existence of wikipedia, which also gets an annual contribution from me.

azurekep
Posts: 942
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:16 pm

Re: Mozilla Firefox Donations?

Post by azurekep » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:47 pm

triceratop wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:22 pm

I do not like the direction Chrome is going re: privacy and the monolithicity of Google, er, Alphabet, bundling its products like Hangouts only on Chrome. It's important to me and many others to always ensure a free and open web.
Agree 100%. That's why I've always used Firefox and never used Chrome.

But over the years, Firefox has reduced/hidden some of the privacy features/preferences, added a lot of bloat and changed the interface to be more like Chrome. Now with the adoption of web extensions they're not even pretending that they're not emulating Chrome. ;)

So what's a person to do? I've kind of deferred the decision, and at home use Pale Moon. It's based on Firefox but without a lot of bloat, has more privacy features and is not adopting web extensions. It's not perfect, but it will do for me for the interim.

Back to the OP: I think verbal comments would be more appreciated than donations. The developers are getting a lot of flak for "chromatizing" Firefox, and the adoption of web extensions has created a mini revolt. Some of the angry users are taking it out on the developers in the Firefox forums. They could probably use a friendly word. Though they'll never get one from me, since they seem to believe "It's our way or the highway". That's not what Firefox was originally based on. The old Firefox was about user customization and choice and being different from Google products.

User avatar
Sheepdog
Posts: 4775
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:05 pm
Location: Indiana, retired 1998 at age 65

Re: Mozilla Firefox Donations?

Post by Sheepdog » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:13 pm

Thank you for your comments. I did make a donation and will over the year.
People should not say everything they think. They should think about everything they say.

jebmke
Posts: 6850
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Mozilla Firefox Donations?

Post by jebmke » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:29 pm

Scripts now bringing my browser to a crawl with the update. Hope they get this fixed soon.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

User avatar
cheese_breath
Posts: 7315
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:08 pm

Re: Mozilla Firefox Donations?

Post by cheese_breath » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:12 pm

orlandoman wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:08 pm
Mozilla also has a free email client called Thunderbird, which I use. I replaced Microsoft Oulook, which is a paid product. It is an ad free software program and I made a donation to Mozilla.
I think a lot of us here use Thunderbird. I moved to it when MS dropped Outlook Express.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

jebmke
Posts: 6850
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Mozilla Firefox Donations?

Post by jebmke » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:28 pm

So far I am underwhelmed. Some sites don't load at all. Scripts are still running around like rats. If they don't get this fixed, I'm dumping FF.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

azurekep
Posts: 942
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:16 pm

Re: Mozilla Firefox Donations?

Post by azurekep » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:45 pm

jebmke wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:28 pm
So far I am underwhelmed. Some sites don't load at all. Scripts are still running around like rats. If they don't get this fixed, I'm dumping FF.
For those who like Firefox but not the new version, they can move to the Firefox Extended Reslease (ESR) version. That will give them an extra year or so before having to confront the new changes.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/

ESR is intended for large organizations that want a stable release and don't want to keep changing versions. But individuals use it as well. I used ESR before moving to Sea Monkey and eventually to Pale Moon.

One could also look into Waterfox. It is one of the most frequently mentioned FF derivatives to replace FF and it gets great reviews for privacy. It's 64-bit which is the only reason I haven't tried it yet.

https://www.waterfoxproject.org/

sawhorse
Posts: 2870
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:05 pm

Re: Mozilla Firefox Donations?

Post by sawhorse » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:03 am

Yes I donate. As someone else mentioned, I don't like using Chrome because Google's privacy policies are awful. Not to say that Mozilla is perfect, but they're definitely not as invasive as Google.

I also donate to the writers of add ons that I use regularly.

Post Reply