Annuity Exit Strategy Help Requested: Wife’s ROTH IRA – Allianz 222 Fixed Index Annuity – Stay or go? How?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Readyinvestor

Annuity Exit Strategy Help Requested: Wife’s ROTH IRA – Allianz 222 Fixed Index Annuity – Stay or go? How?

Post by Readyinvestor » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:49 pm

All,

Good evening. Just recently parted with our advisor and completely reorganized our portfolio the 3-fund way – 70% stock and 30% Bond (50 US, 20% INTL, 30 Intermediate Bonds). :sharebeer THANK YOU all for all of your help - I am really grateful.
Schwab Family:
SCHB and SWTSX (Total Stock Market)
SWAGX (Total Bond)
SWISX (Int'll)

Her Roth IRA Annuity :confused : One of the last things to do is to figure out if we should keep “her” in her fixed index annuity Roth IRA or get out of it and how. :oops:

I have provided as much info as I can here --- there is more on the website and statement --- please tell me what you need to help understand what we have gotten into.

Product name: Allianz 222 Fixed Index Annuity
Tax Plan Type: Roth IRA
Policy Effective Date: May 2016
Next anniversary date: May 2016 (I can change the allocation between now and then)

Currently Allocated:
• Nasdaq 100 Monthly Sum 50%
• S&P 500 Monthly Sum 50%

Choices are:
• S&P 500 Index
• Nasdaq 100 index
• Blended Index*
• Russel 200 Index
• Barclays US Dynamic Balance Index II w/cap (Huh?)
• Barclays US Dynamic Balance Index II w/spread (Huh?)
• Pimco Tactical Balanced Index

*The blended index is made up of the following indexes (and index weights):
• Dow Jones Industrial Average 35%
• Barclays Capital US Aggregate Bond Index 35%
• Euro STOXX 50 20%
• Russel 2000 Index 10%

I believe the sliding scale for the surrender charge is 10% the first year minus 1% every year after until the 10th year when it is 0%.

Allianz: During the first 10 years, a surrender charge and MVA will apply if the contract is partially or fully surrendered. These charges may result in a loss of indexed interest and fixed interest, interest bonus, and a partial loss of principal (premium).

Thank you again.

Vr RI

itstoomuch

Re: Annuity Exit Strategy Help Requested: Wife’s ROTH IRA – Allianz 222 Fixed Index Annuity – Stay or go? How?

Post by itstoomuch » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:59 pm

Depends :mrgreen: :annoyed :oops:
What was the original reason for using FIA?
Rev90517; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax 25%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

itstoomuch

Re: Annuity Exit Strategy Help Requested: Wife’s ROTH IRA – Allianz 222 Fixed Index Annuity – Stay or go? How?

Post by itstoomuch » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:16 pm

The exit strategy: Do it Now because have a better alternative plan.
Rev90517; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax 25%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

Readyinvestor

Post by Readyinvestor » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:32 am

itstoomuch wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:59 pm
Depends :mrgreen: :annoyed :oops:
What was the original reason for using FIA?
The original motivation was my wife's risk tolerance. She was skeptical of the stock market (prob still is) - I had high tolerance, she had low tolerance so the advisor offered an annuity and put me in US stocks. The surveys have her moderately conservative and me at 100% stock though that seems like too much for me. After reading a bunch this year - Bernstein, Boglehead, etc. we settled on 70/30(bond). Now we are trying to get her to 70/30 and this annuity is in the way.

We never understood the annuity and prob still don't - the advisor explained it several times: income protection rider?, cap on earnings but guaranteed, etc. Even when I read about it I don't understand it.

I assume the amt of the surrender fee is the ACCUMULATON VALUE - CASH SURRENDER VALUE = SURRENDER FEE. That seems to be 12% which does not jive with the 10% sliding scale but may be the add'l MVA fee?

Thoughts?

Best RI

Readyinvestor

Post by Readyinvestor » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:34 am

itstoomuch wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:16 pm
The exit strategy: Do it Now because have a better alternative plan.
Thank you itstoomuch. I understand the "do it now" part. Can you explain a little - so regardless of the fee? In this case it seems like its going to be about in the thousands to get out if I am reading the statement correctly.

Thank you and best, RI

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:11 am

If you have an exit plan then do it. And that exit plan should be equal to or better than the FIA. It is better to own something that you understand than own something that you don't and includes Indexes. So will the FIA meet your objectives and if not then what does and at what current and future cost? JMO.

I assume that you have read my signature line? but to reiterate, My wife also has a couple of FIA's purchased in 2012 and first withdrawals in 2017 as her RMD. We own no bonds using deferred annuities as bond substitute and risk transference to the annuity company. At the time I designed our future Income to be about thirds: SS+small pension; GLWB annuities VA +FIA; and Discretionary Equity. Since 2015 we acquired a Rental which established a new allocation of approx 25% to each Income bucket. We can survive on any 2 buckets. The Discretionary can be highly variable in that I am a fairly active trader since 2012.

Original purpose of the GLWB annuities was 1) Insurance; 2) Income; 3) Investment features; 4) Ancillary features. Today, the Ancillary features are becoming relatively more important. I adhere to William Bernstein's phases of investing for retirement. I've used Funding Ratio philosophy for decades and annuities fit well in securing a stable and predictable income that can minimize economic upheavals.

I spent many months examining GLWB variable and Fixed Income annuities and looking at alternatives.
My FA stopped offering FI annuities as part of a retirement strategy. I am ambivalent.
YMMV
Last edited by itstoomuch on Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimishooch

Post by jimishooch » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:49 am

i'm in the same boat,

have multiple deferred (income) indexed annuities with 3 years left on a 10 year surrender and the charges are still to steep so i re-evaluate every year.
but i don't include these in my asset allocation as it's an income producing vehicle like social security...

good luck
jim

bsteiner

Post by bsteiner » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:02 pm

jimishooch wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:49 am
have multiple deferred (income) indexed annuities with 3 years left on a 10 year surrender and the charges are still to steep so i re-evaluate every year. ...
The surrender charges make up for some of the expenses that the insurance company would otherwise receive. So the surrender charges shouldn't be a factor in the decision.

jimishooch

Post by jimishooch » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:22 pm

bsteiner wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:02 pm
jimishooch wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:49 am
have multiple deferred (income) indexed annuities with 3 years left on a 10 year surrender and the charges are still to steep so i re-evaluate every year. ...
The surrender charges make up for some of the expenses that the insurance company would otherwise receive. So the surrender charges shouldn't be a factor in the decision.
i would think twice if the surrender charges eat into the original principal premium...

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:03 pm

Lower costs at another provider can more than make up for the surrender fee if held for a long enough period of time. It's irrelevant if the surrender fee eats into the original investment or not.

Do the math. Compare what you're paying now vs what you'd be paying at a low-cost place like Vanguard. Then divide the annual savings into the surrender fee to get the payback period. It's a simple math problem; it's not rocket science.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

KSActuary

Post by KSActuary » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:11 pm

Does the annuity allow for a 10% withdrawal each year where the surrender charge does not apply?

sergeant

Post by sergeant » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:43 pm

I'd run from the annuity into something way better. I'm only commenting cause I'm wondering what this FA put you into?
Lincoln 3 EOW!

David Jay

Post by David Jay » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:24 pm

You will lose much more than 1% per year (likely 2.5% to 3%) to keep the fixed index annuity. The surrender fee is a bargain compared with keeping these "stinkers".

FINRA, the government chartered regulatory organization, has issued an alert on those products: https://www.finra.org/investors/alerts/ ... lex-choice
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:33 am

OP, I suggest you ask questions.
One question, I would ask is Why I am ambivalent and have kept the GLWB FIa for the last 5 years and have started withdrawals last month?
:mrgreen: :moneybag :greedy