Quicken's future direction - a cause for concern

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
JBTX

Re: Quicken's future direction - a cause for concern

Post by JBTX » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:46 pm

ruralavalon wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:22 pm
michaeljc70 wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:09 am
michaeljc70 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:58 pm
I ordered Quicken Home & Business 2017 online for $27 shipped. The only issue is it is a physical CD or (DVD) and my laptop doesn't have a reader so I have to find a drive somewhere. I think I have a USB one somewhere...
After using this a few days it seems like they changed the colors/fonts to make it look newer. In terms of function, it is not correctly defaulting to the category/subcategory on several transactions. Annoying. It did so before. For example, it knows ComEd is a utility, but not that the subcategory is electric. This is the typical stuff I keep finding with Quicken "upgrades" that aggravates me.
The updated version is prettier.

I also noticed continued incorrect defaulting to categories, does anyone have a solution?
When I updated to 2016 some of the category defaults were not what I wanted. I had to go to I think Tools memorized transactions, or something like that and delete the memorized transaction/ categorization that I didn’t want. If I did that religiously after a while it got better but still happens occasionally.

I add a level of complication in that I create different categories for me and my wife. So for instance I may have to keep switching chic fil a back and forth depending on who made the purchase. There may be a better way to accomplish this but I haven’t put much thought into it.

TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:36 pm

JBTX wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:46 pm
There may be a better way to accomplish this but I haven’t put much thought into it.
Quicken "Tags" might work for you. Other programs (e.g. Moneydance) many also support tags, should you switch.
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | Endurance athletes are the Bogleheads of sports. | "I like people - I just don't want to be around 'em." - Russell Gordy

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:48 pm

TimeRunner wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:36 pm
JBTX wrote:
There may be a better way to accomplish this but I haven’t put much thought into it.
Quicken "Tags" might work for you. Other programs (e.g. Moneydance) many also support tags, should you switch.
I saw those added some number of years ago but have never used it.

There are probably functionalities in quicken I have never used. Once I set up
Something years ago I have never bothered to change it.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:01 pm

JBTX wrote:
ruralavalon wrote:
michaeljc70 wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:09 am
michaeljc70 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:58 pm
I ordered Quicken Home & Business 2017 online for $27 shipped. The only issue is it is a physical CD or (DVD) and my laptop doesn't have a reader so I have to find a drive somewhere. I think I have a USB one somewhere...
After using this a few days it seems like they changed the colors/fonts to make it look newer. In terms of function, it is not correctly defaulting to the category/subcategory on several transactions. Annoying. It did so before. For example, it knows ComEd is a utility, but not that the subcategory is electric. This is the typical stuff I keep finding with Quicken "upgrades" that aggravates me.
The updated version is prettier.

I also noticed continued incorrect defaulting to categories, does anyone have a solution?
When I updated to 2016 some of the category defaults were not what I wanted. I had to go to I think Tools memorized transactions, or something like that and delete the memorized transaction/ categorization that I didn’t want. If I did that religiously after a while it got better but still happens occasionally.
Thank you.

It is "tools", then "memorized payee list". I just tried it, haven't done an update yet and won't for a week or so, but think it will work.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

FiveK

Post by FiveK » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:38 pm

ruralavalon wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:01 pm
JBTX wrote:
ruralavalon wrote:
Thank you.

It is "tools", then "memorized payee list". I just tried it, haven't done an update yet and won't for a week or so, but think it will work.
It definitely works if you whittle down to only one category for a particular payee in the memorized payee list.

One might think that with multiple categories from which to choose for a particular payee, Quicken would default to the most recently used (or perhaps the most often used). It doesn't, so it seems to be luck of the draw whether it defaults to the one you want. Again, removing all but one from the memorized list will work.

See Downloaded Transactions Are Automatically Assigned a Category for Quicken's "official" explanation.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:54 pm

FiveK wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:38 pm
ruralavalon wrote:
JBTX wrote:
ruralavalon wrote:
Thank you.

It definitely works if you whittle down to only one category for a particular payee in the memorized payee list.

One might think that with multiple categories from which to choose for a particular payee, Quicken would default to the most recently used (or perhaps the most often used). It doesn't, so it seems to be luck of the draw whether it defaults to the one you want. Again, removing all but one from the memorized list will work.

See Downloaded Transactions Are Automatically Assigned a Category for Quicken's "official" explanation.
Why do I have to manually do this in an "upgrade"? It worked fine for years. The title of this topic says it all.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:09 pm

FiveK wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:38 pm
ruralavalon wrote:
JBTX wrote:
ruralavalon wrote:
Thank you.

Thank you, that is an interesting but confusing official Quicken explanation.

I did narrow several payee lists, some down to one category some only down to fewer than before. Will see on the next update what actually works.

The information here is far better than Quicken customer support :D .
Last edited by ruralavalon on Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:19 pm

OK, I just upgraded to 2017, from 2015, and they've already began asking me to buy the new 2018. Not 2 months I've owned their product. The marketing has gone north in Quicken. Guess I'll be forced to find an alternative register. May go back to manual spreadsheets, as other have mentioned. :?
Knowledge is knowing that the Tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing better than to put the tomato in a fruit salad.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:43 pm

rustymutt wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:19 pm
OK, I just upgraded to 2017, from 2015, and they've already began asking me to buy the new 2018. Not 2 months I've owned their product. The marketing has gone north in Quicken. Guess I'll be forced to find an alternative register. May go back to manual spreadsheets, as other have mentioned. :?
I bought, installed, and activated the 2018 version of Quicken Deluxe on November 1, 2017, I got an email from Quicken trying to sell me again on November 2, 2017.

Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:50 pm

Another letter to customers from Eric Dunn, CEO of Quicken: Letter to the Quicken Community about the Membership Plan (November 2017)
Since the launch of the 2018 releases of Quicken, we have heard questions from many of you about the new Membership Plan, where customers subscribe to Quicken on an annual basis and automatically receive ongoing product improvements. These questions, which I’ll address below, fall into four main categories:
• Questions about why we are making this change
• Concerns about the ongoing cost of Quicken Membership
• Questions about our product plans after making the change
• Concerns about data ownership and “lock-in”

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:42 am

Bylo Selhi wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:50 pm
Another letter to customers from Eric Dunn, CEO of Quicken: Letter to the Quicken Community about the Membership Plan (November 2017)
Since the launch of the 2018 releases of Quicken, we have heard questions from many of you about the new Membership Plan, where customers subscribe to Quicken on an annual basis and automatically receive ongoing product improvements. These questions, which I’ll address below, fall into four main categories:
• Questions about why we are making this change
• Concerns about the ongoing cost of Quicken Membership
• Questions about our product plans after making the change
• Concerns about data ownership and “lock-in”

The fact that their CEO had to come out with this statement shows that the waters were not as smooth sailing as they thought.
Again I hope this will drive competition with other products (ie MoneyDance).

As other in the Quicken community had pointed out while you can get a two year subscription today at a discounted price there is no guarantee or inkling that you can get another two year subscription at the end of your term and it is quite likely you will be converted to a yearly subscription at an inflated price.

There there is a question if this subscription model will work for the long term for Quicken. New Office 365 subscriptions are down 62% from previous years.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:21 am

So, deluxe is now $89 at Amazon for 27 months.

Since I'm on 2016, I'm debating just waiting a few years until it expires and then switching, or switch now for that price.

When will 2016 sunset?

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:34 am

Bacchus01 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:21 am

Since I'm on 2016, I'm debating just waiting a few years until it expires and then switching, or switch now for that price.

When will 2016 sunset?
You can buy 2017 Deluxe for less than $20. https://www.thepcconnectstorellc.com/pr ... 2016-state. Coupon code NEW30 got me 30% off. It looked a little sketchy, but the software arrived in less than a week and is legit and worked. Note: I bought Home & Business 2017 for $27.

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:24 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:34 am
Bacchus01 wrote:

When will 2016 sunset?
You can buy 2017 Deluxe for less than $20. https://www.thepcconnectstorellc.com/pr ... 2016-state. Coupon code NEW30 got me 30% off. It looked a little sketchy, but the software arrived in less than a week and is legit and worked. Note: I bought Home & Business 2017 for $27.

So, for like $20, I can kick the problem down the road for 3 years? Sounds like a plan

LSLover

Post by LSLover » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:28 pm

Bacchus01 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:24 pm
michaeljc70 wrote:
Bacchus01 wrote:

When will 2016 sunset?

So, for like $20, I can kick the problem down the road for 3 years? Sounds like a plan
Not quite three years... You will kick it down the road until April 2020, i.e. 2.5 yrs.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:29 pm

LSLover wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:28 pm
Bacchus01 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:24 pm
michaeljc70 wrote:
Bacchus01 wrote:

When will 2016 sunset?

Not quite three years... You will kick it down the road until April 2020, i.e. 2.5 yrs.
Exactly. You beat me to it.

https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken ... ion-policy

cricket49

Post by cricket49 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:03 pm

I ordered my 2018 Quicken Premier 2 year from Amazon with an extended 3 months included. So 27 months before I will update again or discontinue Quicken altogether.

When it works correctly Quicken is a great financial program. Currently we have money in 3 brokerage firms, HSA accounts and a few bank accounts. Quicken consolidates all these accounts and displays mutual funds and investments all on one page. You never have to go to 2-3 websites to view balances, dividends, gains/loss etc. It works for me.

Keeping my fingers crossed that install will go smoothly. :thumbsup
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst.

David Scubadiver

Post by David Scubadiver » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:17 am

cricket49 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:03 pm
I ordered my 2018 Quicken Premier 2 year from Amazon with an extended 3 months included. So 27 months before I will update again or discontinue Quicken altogether.

When it works correctly Quicken is a great financial program. Currently we have money in 3 brokerage firms, HSA accounts and a few bank accounts. Quicken consolidates all these accounts and displays mutual funds and investments all on one page. You never have to go to 2-3 websites to view balances, dividends, gains/loss etc. It works for me.

I ditched quicken in 2008 when I bought my Mac. I use moneydance 2017 as of last week. For the previous 5 years I used Moneydance 2012. I thought it was time to upgrade. :)

Nothing makes me want to have a 3 fund portfolio more than changing financial reporting software.

KSAL889813

Post by KSAL889813 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:02 pm

cricket49 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:03 pm

I just did the same thing and completely agree with you moving forward.