Spam calls to cell phone...

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Cunobelinus
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:31 pm

Re: Spam calls to cell phone...

Post by Cunobelinus » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:02 am

bltkmt wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:26 am
jasc15 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:39 am
My wife recently got a call from her exact number.

This is my fear - that I diligently block all these fake numbers on my phone, but end up blocking real numbers because of the spoofing.
I read about another (or complementary) option a few years back: set your default ring tone to a "silent" tone and then manually change the ring tones for all of the contacts you might normally want to hear from. While it seemed particularly onerous to do that contact-by-contact, over the past few days I attempted this and realized that there really are not too many people from whom I reasonably expect to receive a telephone call. It was not actually difficult or time-intensive and I just spaced out editing contact's ring tones when I was waiting in line for something, or there was a commercial on TV, or something else where I had a few spare minutes of time.

A third (or supplemental) option is to put your cell phone manually on Do Not Disturb and permit phone calls from specific groups -- in this case, all contacts in my phone book/contact list were added to a group. Anyone not in my list of contacts goes straight to voicemail, unless they exercise the "repeat caller" option. A potential downside to this option is that your Do Not Disturb setting may not work as well at night if that's what you used it for, since anyone in your contact list can wake you up if they call. I, for one, often (deliberately) lose my phone in the living room prior to going to bed, so this had no effect on me.

I haven't missed any calls that I didn't want to miss since trying out these methods. I have missed a few phone calls a day that did not really express any interest in getting in contact with me (no voicemail or no repeat calls). If it's important enough to phone me, then it's important enough to leave a voicemail if I don't pick up.

totallystudly
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 9:02 pm

Re: Spam calls to cell phone...

Post by totallystudly » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:24 am

I don't know that more people doing it is the thing. We need people who know what they are doing and how to respond to motions, discovery, depositions, etc.

It is not just so easy as filing suit and collecting a check most of the time.


I should think that the posting of a telephone number and name in your signature will grant you this option far sooner than anticipated.

I'm not sure I understand the concept.

Cunobelinus
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:31 pm

Re: Spam calls to cell phone...

Post by Cunobelinus » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:27 am

the user, pondering, had written that once he receives one of these phone calls -- these auto-dialed spam phone calls -- that he would attempt to speak with the caller.

I was just stating that I suspect he'll be able to receive one of those telephone calls sooner rather than later, since he is publishing his name and telephone number in a public forum on the internet in his signature.

User avatar
StevieG72
Posts: 574
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:00 pm

Re: Spam calls to cell phone...

Post by StevieG72 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:08 am

i have had success with actually listing to the message, many are robo calls and typically at the end there is an option to be removed from the call list.

One particilarly annoying tactic is for charities to call random numbers and ask for a specific person. When you reply that they have the wrong number, they respond with “ Maybe you can help me” and procede with a fundraising request. The last time this happened I replied “ Maybe you can help me, and take my number off of your call list!”

I tend to answer my phone more often than not, even when the number is not recognized.

This method has worked particularly well with my business landline.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

User avatar
pondering
Posts: 846
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:04 pm
Location: 412-977-3526, originally 718-273-2422

Re: Spam calls to cell phone...

Post by pondering » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:03 am

Having posted my phone number online for over a decade I’ve received less than five unwanted calls as a result.
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text

User avatar
pondering
Posts: 846
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:04 pm
Location: 412-977-3526, originally 718-273-2422

Re: Spam calls to cell phone...

Post by pondering » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:46 am

totallystudly wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:24 am
I don't know that more people doing it is the thing. We need people who know what they are doing and how to respond to motions, discovery, depositions, etc.

It is not just so easy as filing suit and collecting a check most of the time.


I should think that the posting of a telephone number and name in your signature will grant you this option far sooner than anticipated.

I'm not sure I understand the concept.
I think what I'm trying to figure out is if the interested lay person can learn what they are doing, respond to motions, discovery, depositions.

Who would you target to do this activity?
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text

totallystudly
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 9:02 pm

Re: Spam calls to cell phone...

Post by totallystudly » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:51 am

Yes the average lay person can absolutely figure out how to engage in the legal process. Nolo press has great books and lawyers want you to believe it is difficult when it isn't so they can justify charging what they charge. It is only new the first time. There are other forms like debtorboards with sample pleadings and can provide strategy feedback.

Edward c Lawson took s case pro-se to the United States supreme Court and won and thus was against a police department with resources to fight?

These cases are far more simple. Did the person call you? Did they use an automated dialer or pre-recorded message? How many calls, multiply by $500 or $1500.

When you say Target, as an audience to engage in lawsuits, I think most people comfortable with doing research on cases and writing a college level paper should do fine. There is a little public speaking in court, but most hearings are by telephone and litigants rarely have to actually step foot in a courtroom.

The easiest targets to sue are usually wrong number debt collectors, but every case is a bit different and I try to do research online with pacer to see if someone tends to settle fast or not. Some companies fight a lot, some want to settle fast. The Walmart gift card ones and travel clubs are usually pretty easy targets too. They know they are breaking the law and just pay when they get caught.

The problem is when stupid/lazy people get involved and think it is easy money and generate bad caselaw that affects all of us.

bberris
Posts: 741
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:44 am

Re: Spam calls to cell phone...

Post by bberris » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:53 pm

sschoe2 wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:00 pm
tim1999 wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:51 pm
totallystudly wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:45 pm
I almost never go to trial, most settle and a few go to summary judgment, others have been default judgments and i collected on then. I settled several this month for over 20k, which isn't common, but happens as the cases settle and the defense attys have milked their clients dry for attys fees. I have had some settle in days, I have had some take 12-18 months.

Typical is 3-6 months from filing to a check in my hand.
I am curious how you identify exactly who or what entity is behind a particular call so you know who to sue.
Agreed even the FTC has a lot of trouble finding these robocallers and when they do many are not even in the USA. That is the problem. Enforcement is very difficult due to the difficulty in both tracing and getting jurisdiction as well as the share number of them.
To trace them, you need to bait by acting interested. They must have some address to send money to.

User avatar
pondering
Posts: 846
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:04 pm
Location: 412-977-3526, originally 718-273-2422

Re: Spam calls to cell phone...

Post by pondering » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:55 pm

Actually tracing call is easy in the phone company knows both and points of a call. Getting the trace information however is quite difficult.
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text

User avatar
msi
Posts: 304
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:15 pm

Re: Spam calls to cell phone...

Post by msi » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:00 am

I use a free iOS app called 'Hiya' for blocking these. It works pretty well, though nothing is 100% perfect.

totallystudly
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 9:02 pm

Re: Spam calls to cell phone...

Post by totallystudly » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:27 am

Actually tracing call is easy in the phone company knows both and points of a call. Getting the trace information however is quite difficult.

None of this is true. Call tracing is incredibly difficult, especially when a number is spoofed.

User avatar
pondering
Posts: 846
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:04 pm
Location: 412-977-3526, originally 718-273-2422

Re: Spam calls to cell phone...

Post by pondering » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:42 am

Hitting a *57 on my home phone works just fine

The difficulties lie in protecting the police from having their activities being discovered by the people they are monitoring.

Like it or not all call metadata is being captured.
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text

User avatar
Jim85
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:10 am

Re: Spam calls to cell phone...

Post by Jim85 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:15 am

Cunobelinus wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:02 am
bltkmt wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:26 am
jasc15 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:39 am
My wife recently got a call from her exact number.

This is my fear - that I diligently block all these fake numbers on my phone, but end up blocking real numbers because of the spoofing.
I read about another (or complementary) option a few years back: set your default ring tone to a "silent" tone and then manually change the ring tones for all of the contacts you might normally want to hear from. While it seemed particularly onerous to do that contact-by-contact, over the past few days I attempted this and realized that there really are not too many people from whom I reasonably expect to receive a telephone call. It was not actually difficult or time-intensive and I just spaced out editing contact's ring tones when I was waiting in line for something, or there was a commercial on TV, or something else where I had a few spare minutes of time.

A third (or supplemental) option is to put your cell phone manually on Do Not Disturb and permit phone calls from specific groups -- in this case, all contacts in my phone book/contact list were added to a group. Anyone not in my list of contacts goes straight to voicemail, unless they exercise the "repeat caller" option. A potential downside to this option is that your Do Not Disturb setting may not work as well at night if that's what you used it for, since anyone in your contact list can wake you up if they call. I, for one, often (deliberately) lose my phone in the living room prior to going to bed, so this had no effect on me.

I haven't missed any calls that I didn't want to miss since trying out these methods. I have missed a few phone calls a day that did not really express any interest in getting in contact with me (no voicemail or no repeat calls). If it's important enough to phone me, then it's important enough to leave a voicemail if I don't pick up.
I use this Do Not Disturb method as well. Works great for these unwanted phone calls. At first the only drawback was, that while text messages did come through, there was no audible notification. I found you can edit any Contact you receive text messages from and change the Text Tone to allow Emergency Bypass. This is on an iPhone.

sophie1
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:58 pm

Re: Spam calls to cell phone...

Post by sophie1 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:31 am

This is one area where Android phones are far better than an iPhone. It is potentially enough to make me switch to Android if the spam call issue continues to escalate.

The only useful anti-spam help you get from Apple is an option to allow the phone to ring only on calls from members of your contact list. I would do this in a heartbeat except for the Mysteriously Disappearing Contacts iPhone/iOS bug that Apple simply will not fix. I'd block a lot of important calls if I did that.

However, I can attest to what prior posters have said about not picking up these calls. I've also noticed a drop in spam calls recently from 2-3 calls/day to maybe 1-2/week, as I don't pick up calls from numbers I don't recognize. (I recognize raw phone #s from known contacts quite well thanks to the above mentioned contacts bug).

User avatar
pondering
Posts: 846
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:04 pm
Location: 412-977-3526, originally 718-273-2422

Re: Spam calls to cell phone...

Post by pondering » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:48 am

Wouldn't the important calls just go to voicemail?
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text

User avatar
abuss368
Posts: 11669
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: Spam calls to cell phone...

Post by abuss368 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:55 am

I have noticed this unfortunate trend as well. I did review and participate in the national Do Not Call list. The other item is with regards to our Apple iPhone, one can select a number as a blocked caller. Not sure this helps much however.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

User avatar
pondering
Posts: 846
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:04 pm
Location: 412-977-3526, originally 718-273-2422

Re: Spam calls to cell phone...

Post by pondering » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:06 am

--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text

capsaicinguy
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:00 am

Re: Spam calls to cell phone...

Post by capsaicinguy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:14 am

Anecdotally, I never used to get spam calls at all, maybe a couple a year. Once we switched to Google fi for cell service and carrying over my same phone number I've had for well over a decade, I get spam calls way more often. At least Google automatically tags them as "suspected spam" on the incoming call... The change was right after I changed service providers from Verizon.

bluebolt
Posts: 553
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:01 am

Re: Spam calls to cell phone...

Post by bluebolt » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:18 am

totallystudly wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:57 pm
Still mildly annoying but not enough to warrant me spending more time trying to prevent it from happening

At 3k per call or even 750-1000 per call for a settlement that isn't worth your time? Even if the call took an hour, that's a pretty good hourly rate...

I am curious how you identify exactly who or what entity is behind a particular call so you know who to sue.

I pick up the phone and talk to them nicely. Whatever they are selling, I'm buying. Often I will buy the product and do a charge back at the end of the month so I have a paper trail and money trail. Worst case I will file a john doe lawsuit and subpoena the phone carrier, but usually I can figure it out by pretending to be customer.

Blocking calls is throwing away potential money and I'm not going to run or hide from telemarketers.
The robocalls I get are from the Philippines, India or Pakistan. They have never given me legitimate contact info even when I have asked nicely and pretended I'm interested. Even if you do get it, can you reasonably collect from a fly-by-night operation halfway around the world?

totallystudly
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 9:02 pm

Re: Spam calls to cell phone...

Post by totallystudly » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:17 pm

The robocalls I get are from the Philippines, India or Pakistan. They have never given me legitimate contact info even when I have asked nicely and pretended I'm interested. Even if you do get it, can you reasonably collect from a fly-by-night operation halfway around the world?

You are missing the point, the Indian and Filipino call centers are almost ALWAYS selling a product or service for a USA based company. Someone in the states is always involved or making the money.

You need to figure out who that is, and the easiest way is to act interested and buy the product or service or get in a position to do so. You never ask for contact info up front. Just pretend to be a customer, buy the product if you must and do a charge back later after the charge posts. Follow the money and you will always figure it out.

You aren't suing the call center, generally, you are suing the seller of goods or services that hired the call center.

To the other poster, I have hired attys before that think they are good. Most aren't and are looking for class action type cases which are different from running an individual case. Very few will take on an individual case or they want one with hundreds of calls they can settle for a fraction of the true case value.

Cunobelinus
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:31 pm

Re: Spam calls to cell phone...

Post by Cunobelinus » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:26 am

Jim85 wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:15 am
Cunobelinus wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:02 am
bltkmt wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:26 am
jasc15 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:39 am
My wife recently got a call from her exact number.

This is my fear - that I diligently block all these fake numbers on my phone, but end up blocking real numbers because of the spoofing.
I read about another (or complementary) option a few years back: set your default ring tone to a "silent" tone and then manually change the ring tones for all of the contacts you might normally want to hear from. While it seemed particularly onerous to do that contact-by-contact, over the past few days I attempted this and realized that there really are not too many people from whom I reasonably expect to receive a telephone call. It was not actually difficult or time-intensive and I just spaced out editing contact's ring tones when I was waiting in line for something, or there was a commercial on TV, or something else where I had a few spare minutes of time.

A third (or supplemental) option is to put your cell phone manually on Do Not Disturb and permit phone calls from specific groups -- in this case, all contacts in my phone book/contact list were added to a group. Anyone not in my list of contacts goes straight to voicemail, unless they exercise the "repeat caller" option. A potential downside to this option is that your Do Not Disturb setting may not work as well at night if that's what you used it for, since anyone in your contact list can wake you up if they call. I, for one, often (deliberately) lose my phone in the living room prior to going to bed, so this had no effect on me.

I haven't missed any calls that I didn't want to miss since trying out these methods. I have missed a few phone calls a day that did not really express any interest in getting in contact with me (no voicemail or no repeat calls). If it's important enough to phone me, then it's important enough to leave a voicemail if I don't pick up.
I use this Do Not Disturb method as well. Works great for these unwanted phone calls. At first the only drawback was, that while text messages did come through, there was no audible notification. I found you can edit any Contact you receive text messages from and change the Text Tone to allow Emergency Bypass. This is on an iPhone.
Ah, I couldn't tell if this was a function of the Do Not Disturb setting or because my old iPhone (circa 2011) only seems to recently make audible sounds for the clock/timer/alarm application. This is, of course, another method -- just use a really old phone that doesn't ring anymore. You won't notice that you're missing calls =)

scrabbler1
Posts: 1986
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:39 pm

Re: Spam calls to cell phone...

Post by scrabbler1 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:42 am

I have a low-end cell phone with a small, pay-per-minute plan because I use the phone only for emergencies and for a rare text. I have given the number out to maybe 10 people. I got the phone nearly 3 years ago. There is no call-blocking program and nomorobo doesn't apply to cell phones.

But I get lots of junk calls and some junk texts. Some of them are for the former owner of the cell phone number, and I know this because many of the junk calls and texts include his name and some are from legit callers. Earlier this year, I thought I had tracked him down but it turned out to be someone with the same name (a doctor) whose staff told me he had not changed his cell phone number over the years.

Many of the junk calls are from spoofed numbers which begin with my area code and exchange. The last 4 digits are usually random but I have seen the same 4 digits (3456) appear frequently. I don't want to let the calls go to voice vail because I later have to go there to check them out and delete them, a time-consuming PITA and it costs me money to call my VM. What I do when I see an unfamiliar number is to answer the call but say nothing. If it is a real person (which happened once), the caller will say something. Otherwise, after 15 seconds I hear the familiar beep-beep-bop of a robodialer hanging up.

On my landline I have some added options. I have had nomorobo for a year after changing my phone provider to one which allows nomorobo. It blocks many but not all junk calls. If repeated calls get through, I can block them. I do the silent treatment here like I do for the cell phone. If my TV happens to be on when the land line rings, I see a caller-ID appear on the screen so I know where the call is originating from. If I get a call from a number which nomorobo failed to block, there is a quick online form I can fill out to tell them about it.

With all junk calls, I go to 800notes.com to see if others have reported it, and add my own comments. I can also easily check my land line's call history in case there were any calls, blocked (call time is 3 seconds) or unblocked, while I was away, and look them up on 800notes.com and report unblocked ones to nomorobo.

Chip
Posts: 1552
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:57 am

Re: Spam calls to cell phone...

Post by Chip » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:56 am

scrabbler1 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:42 am
I have a low-end cell phone with a small, pay-per-minute plan [...]

I don't want to let the calls go to voice vail because I later have to go there to check them out and delete them, a time-consuming PITA and it costs me money to call my VM.
It's still a pain, but you can avoid the cost of calling voicemail by doing it from your landline. Isn't it costing you to answer the junk calls?

I use 800notes as well, though for some reason it doesn't seem to show up as often as it used to when I google a spammer phone number.

stan1
Posts: 4964
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:35 pm

Re: Spam calls to cell phone...

Post by stan1 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:04 am

I essentially whitelist my mobile phones and only answer calls that are in my contact list. If anyone needs to reach me they can leave a message but most people text or email now instead of calling now. Spammers leave a message less than 10% of the time. My dentist and optometrist have automated text message confirmation systems but my medical provider still uses robo calls (and they leave a message). I took this drastic step after it became evident spammers had figured out how to spoof local prefixes. On a plus note for some reason spam text messages have dropped way down and I get very few of those now.

oxothuk
Posts: 290
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:35 pm

Re: Spam calls to cell phone...

Post by oxothuk » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:54 am

stan1 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:04 am
but most people text or email now instead of calling now.
Because spammers have essentially destroyed the usefulness of the phone system.

User avatar
Alexa9
Posts: 391
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:41 am

Re: Spam calls to cell phone...

Post by Alexa9 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:59 am

It was pretty bad earlier this year. I leave my phone on silent and return the calls that I want to talk to and block the ones that are spam. I rarely get spam calls anymore.

User avatar
unclescrooge
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:00 pm

Re: Spam calls to cell phone...

Post by unclescrooge » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:05 am

capsaicinguy wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:14 am
Anecdotally, I never used to get spam calls at all, maybe a couple a year. Once we switched to Google fi for cell service and carrying over my same phone number I've had for well over a decade, I get spam calls way more often. At least Google automatically tags them as "suspected spam" on the incoming call... The change was right after I changed service providers from Verizon.
Maybe just a coincidence. I've started getting spam calls on my cellphone in the past couple of months. I'm still on Verizon, and I never used to have this problem.

novillero
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:38 am

Re: Spam calls to cell phone...

Post by novillero » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:15 am

bberris wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:10 am
The weird thing is when you get a call from your own number. I was tempted to answer, thinking that I might be in trouble.
You should have answered it. It might have been future-you warning you of a bad decision that would impact humanity. Now we are all doomed!!!

scrabbler1
Posts: 1986
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:39 pm

Re: Spam calls to cell phone...

Post by scrabbler1 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:26 am

Chip wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:56 am
scrabbler1 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:42 am
I have a low-end cell phone with a small, pay-per-minute plan [...]

I don't want to let the calls go to voice vail because I later have to go there to check them out and delete them, a time-consuming PITA and it costs me money to call my VM.
It's still a pain, but you can avoid the cost of calling voicemail by doing it from your landline. Isn't it costing you to answer the junk calls?

I use 800notes as well, though for some reason it doesn't seem to show up as often as it used to when I google a spammer phone number.
I never thought of that. Thanks for the tip. I just tried it out to see how the VM system works when called by an outside number, not my cell number. I had to enter my cell phone number at the prompt, but no big deal. And yes, it does cost me money (i.e. minutes) to answer the junk calls on the cell.

As for 800notes, I just go to that website and use their search function (i.e. enter the phone number in question) and if there are any comments/complaints, they will show up. Sometimes, I am the first to complain about that number (not just the spoofed local numbers).

iamlucky13
Posts: 655
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:28 pm

Re: Spam calls to cell phone...

Post by iamlucky13 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:06 pm

StevieG72 wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:08 am
i have had success with actually listing to the message, many are robo calls and typically at the end there is an option to be removed from the call list.
If it is not for a political campaign, a charity, or an entity you do business with (eg, school calling about weather cancellation, utility calling about a planned service outage, and contentiously, also debt collectors), it is illegal.

I wouldn't trust unsolicited charity calls, either, but that's another matter.

Since other robocallers are already breaking the law, I would not trust the option to remove you from the list to actually do so, as opposed to verifying the number is in active use and potentially worth calling.

Ready3Retire
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:15 am
Location: Midwest

Re: Spam calls to cell phone...

Post by Ready3Retire » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:09 pm

I added the App hiya this morning to my iPhone 6 based on a suggestion in this thread. I got my first spam call this afternoon and hiya identified it as robo call so I let it go to voice mail. So far, so good. :sharebeer

User avatar
FrugalInvestor
Posts: 4483
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:20 am

Re: Spam calls to cell phone...

Post by FrugalInvestor » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:19 pm

We moved and kept our cell numbers from our previous (out-of-state) residence. The spammers like to call using fake numbers from your area code. Fortunately we have no one of significance who calls us from that area any longer so the spam calls are easy to identify. If it's from our old area code, we never answer.

Knowing this, if I were ever to get another cell number I would get one with an area code having nothing to do with my place of residence or anyone else who I know.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

totallystudly
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 9:02 pm

Re: Spam calls to cell phone...

Post by totallystudly » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:00 pm

If it is not for a political campaign, a charity, or an entity you do business with (eg, school calling about weather cancellation, utility calling about a planned service outage, and contentiously, also debt collectors), it is illegal.

Not true. All calls to your cell phone without prior express written consent or for an emergency purposes are illegal, period and the caller owes you $1500-3000 per call.

I don't understand why bogleheads aren't interested in making money enforcing federal law.

There is no existing business relationship exemption anymore.

Figure out who is calling, sue them, and let them beg you to take money to go away

User avatar
heartwood
Posts: 1067
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:40 pm

Re: Spam calls to cell phone...

Post by heartwood » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:15 pm

A recent CBS review of spam to cell: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/robocalls- ... -registry/

They make it sound hopeless.

I use Mr. Number which works for some but an increasing number get through, esp with spoofed local exchanges.

User avatar
tractorguy
Posts: 578
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 6:32 pm
Location: Chicago Suburb

Re: Spam calls to cell phone...

Post by tractorguy » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:44 pm

msi wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:00 am
I use a free iOS app called 'Hiya' for blocking these. It works pretty well, though nothing is 100% perfect.
Hiya is also available for android. I've been using it for 3 months and have noticed a significant drop in spam calls from 1-2/day to 1 every other week. If the number is on their blacklist, the phone rings once and the call goes directly to voicemail.
Lorne

User avatar
msi
Posts: 304
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:15 pm

Re: Spam calls to cell phone...

Post by msi » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:14 pm

tractorguy wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:44 pm
msi wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:00 am
I use a free iOS app called 'Hiya' for blocking these. It works pretty well, though nothing is 100% perfect.
Hiya is also available for android. I've been using it for 3 months and have noticed a significant drop in spam calls from 1-2/day to 1 every other week. If the number is on their blacklist, the phone rings once and the call goes directly to voicemail.
Yeah, it's a great app. I'm left wondering why anyone would pay for NoMoRobo instead.

Gadget
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:38 pm

Re: Spam calls to cell phone...

Post by Gadget » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:13 am

totallystudly wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:57 pm
Still mildly annoying but not enough to warrant me spending more time trying to prevent it from happening

At 3k per call or even 750-1000 per call for a settlement that isn't worth your time? Even if the call took an hour, that's a pretty good hourly rate...

I am curious how you identify exactly who or what entity is behind a particular call so you know who to sue.

I pick up the phone and talk to them nicely. Whatever they are selling, I'm buying. Often I will buy the product and do a charge back at the end of the month so I have a paper trail and money trail. Worst case I will file a john doe lawsuit and subpoena the phone carrier, but usually I can figure it out by pretending to be customer.

Blocking calls is throwing away potential money and I'm not going to run or hide from telemarketers.
You're my hero... Can I pay you to do it for me? Even if you kept 100 percent of profits, I'd still be happy knowing someone was beating the scammers.

totallystudly
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 9:02 pm

Re: Spam calls to cell phone...

Post by totallystudly » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:26 am

I wish, but I'm slammed dealing with my own case and calls, but don't worry I am going to shut these guys down and go after their personal finances

Post Reply