Buying a new smartphone as a surprise gift

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
CULater

Buying a new smartphone as a surprise gift

Post by CULater » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:21 pm

I'd like to surprise someone with a new iPhone for their birthday. They are on Verizon with an old flip phone. I'm interested in scoring a deal on an iPhone SE for less than $200 that can be used with the existing Verizon account (she doesn't want to change to a new carrier or phone number). How can I do this?
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

mrc

Re: Buying a new smartphone as a surprise gift

Post by mrc » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:31 pm

Are you sure she wants a smartphone? I know people that do not like them.
A great challenge of life: Knowing enough to think you're doing it right, but not enough to know you're doing it wrong. — Neil deGrasse Tyson

crake

Post by crake » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:37 pm

The easiest way would be to go to an apple store and buy one for $349. All the discounted Iphone's you see in stores or online are locked to a specific network and your friend would not be able to use it on Verizon.

If you are willing to jump through some hoops you could probably find a way to get an unlocked Iphone SE for less than $349 but I'm not sure of the best root at this time.

I also second what the first response said. At this point in time most people who don't have a smart phone are doing it out of choice, not necessity. Flip phones are getting increasingly hard to procure and it can actually be cheaper in a lot of cases to get a smart phone. There are a lot of reasons to like a flip phone. Battery life, privacy, and simplicity are just a few reasons your friend might still be using the flip phone.

Y.A.Tittle

Post by Y.A.Tittle » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:52 pm

As long as the SIM card from the current Verizon phones fits the iPhone, you should be good to go. The question I have is, how will know know this used phone works?

Post by 123 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:01 pm

The current model of iphone SE will work on all carriers. Just get an unlocked one from an Apple store or online from Apple and present it as a gift. The person who gets it can then contact Verizon to switch over to the new phone.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

thatwhichisgood

Post by thatwhichisgood » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:12 pm

:sharebeer

You can always wrap up a picture and a check after getting the full cost quote with taxes. I'd be thrilled!

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:36 pm

Absolutely do not do this! Unless, of course, you will also pay the additional monthly cost for them!

Keep in mind that this person may have been on Verizon for at least a few years and may have the old basic phone plan. By moving to the iPhone or any other smartphone, their bill could increase significantly!

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:07 am

I've done this before on phones that we give my mother-in-law. If you log into MyVerizon, they have a link that directs you how to port your number and account information to your new phone. Besides typing in information, it requires you to pick/update your plan (since you are going to a smart phone) and swap the SIM card. You really can't do this without the other person's knowledge so you would have to wait until after the giving as a surprise gift and they would have to log into their account.

Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:51 pm

runner3081 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:36 pm
Absolutely do not do this! Unless, of course, you will also pay the additional monthly cost for them!

Keep in mind that this person may have been on Verizon for at least a few years and may have the old basic phone plan. By moving to the iPhone or any other smartphone, their bill could increase significantly!
+1

I am grandfathered with my Motorola flip phone on Verizon. $100 for 365 days.
0.99/day if I call someone or someone calls me. 0.10/minute
Deducted from this $100.
It lasts me the entire year.
Retrieving Voicemail does not count.

If you OP want to pay the new data plan, then you do this.
Otherwise, I would reconsider.