Dumb Question on Water Heater

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Call_Me_Op

Dumb Question on Water Heater

Post by Call_Me_Op » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:19 pm

I have a Superstor Indirect Fired Water Heater. Does anyone know if this type of water heater has a pilot that needs to be re-lit after the gas has been shut off for a period of time?
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein

Sandtrap

Re: Dumb Question on Water Heater

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:22 pm

Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:30 pm

I do not think this type of boiler has an ignition but would like verification.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:01 pm

If the pilot light needs to be lit, then the panel on the outside of the water heater will say so. What does it say when you look at it?

Also, if the heater has been turned off, the water in it will get below the temperature set, so that when the heater is turned on, you will know right away if the gas is lit or not simply by looking and listening, wouldn't you?
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:23 pm

I believe that indirect water heaters only contain a heat exchange coil and a fluid in the boiler circulates through that to heater water in the tank. So it seems there is no need for a pilot.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:47 pm

Call_Me_Op wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:19 pm
I have a Superstor Indirect Fired Water Heater. Does anyone know if this type of water heater has a pilot that needs to be re-lit after the gas has been shut off for a period of time?
If you haven't already read the pdf that Sandtrap linked, I suggest you do. You have an INDIRECT heater which uses heat from your boiler. I have to assume your boiler is used to heat the house? So there's no gas or other fuel going to the indirect water heater, and therefore no pilot or other ignition. On the other hand, it will not operate if your boiler is not operational.

Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:36 am

Right - thanks.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:27 am

No Pilot light nor ignition (company is HTP that makes this by the way - solid American company). Once the gas and furnace are on - you should have hot water - if not - the problem could be the furnace - the zone valve off the furnace - or a control valve or circuitry (I'm not expert). The water is heated by your furnace not within the tank.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:34 am

DaftInvestor wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:27 am
No Pilot light nor ignition (company is HTP that makes this by the way - solid American company). Once the gas and furnace are on - you should have hot water - if not - the problem could be the furnace - the zone valve off the furnace - or a control valve or circuitry (I'm not expert). The water is heated by your furnace not within the tank.
Actually the water IS heated within the tank, just indirectly by the furnace's hot water circulation loop.

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:52 am

DaftInvestor wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:27 am
Or it could be the thermostat in the water heater that I believe controls the zone valve and allows hot water to flow in the coil that surrounds the water heater on the inside. DAMHIKT.