Should I bail on AT&T and Directv?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
JBTX

Should I bail on AT&T and Directv?

Post by JBTX » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:03 pm

Been a customer of both those for pretty much 20 years. Have been generally happy with the customer service. I get a lot of bundling/loyalty discounts on the DirecTV side, but still, seems like I am paying more than I should. So the decision for me is a bit more complex is I have two legs of this decision to evaluate - mobile phone and TV.

Currently have Charter/Spectrum Internet and Phone. About $75/mo. About $20 is for phone. Yes, I could drop the landline, but we hang on to it to keep the number, and too lazy to go through all the steps to convert it to some other cheaper plug in landline option. There are really no other options for internet where we live (best I can tell).

On mobile phones, I have unlimited data, 3 phone lines, and one Ipad line. Currently have some hotspotting ability, HD streaming, etc. I'm not looking to try to cut any of that. My kids kill the data plan, and it isn't worth it to try to monitor and game that.

Live in North Texas metroplex area. Don't travel a ton.

Current billing set up:

Charter Spectrum internet+home phone: $75
ATT plus unlimited package: $215
DirecTV: $47 (includes ATT plus $25/month discount plus another approx $80 of various other loyalty and other discounts). My best guess is perhaps I could get $80/$90 if I had Direct TV by itself and dumped ATT)

Grand Total Monthly: $337

Devices:

Iphone 6 - 2-3 years old, bought through ATT
Samsung Galaxy S7, bought separately at Best Buy unlocked ( I think - and BTW now after liking the S7 my daughter now wants an iphone again and says Samsung stinks)
Ipad 2?? - Bought it new about 1.5 years ago, at Best Buy. - and yes, needs to stay on data. My son is attached to this thing at the hip.
LG Low end phone through AT&T - my son's - rarely uses, currently pay $20/month for it on plan. He will need phone at school next year.

I am not necessarily itching to get new phones, although would consider if can get significantly discounted. Don't want to have to swap out IPAD.

Also, we do pay for net flix, and Amazon prime - which I am not factoring into equation.

Alternative One - Go to spectrum cable, switch to Sprint Mobile unlimited plan

Charter bundle: $142 (includes internet, phone, TV package with all relevant channels we have plus equipment. Add $30 year two, Add another $30 year 3 (assuming you can't get some other promotional)
Sprint: $120 (up to five lines for $100, plus $20 for IPAD which doesn't count towards five lines)

Grand Total Monthly: $262

Savings: $75/month= $900 per year

Pros:
Save $75 a month
Not have to call in an constantly negotiate rolling 12 month DTV loyalty and other discounts, including occasionally cancelling to get them
May be able to get some discounted upgraded phones (on contract)

Cons:
- Will really suck having something different than DTV. Just used to look and feel of it and know the channels. Any time I see cable or DISH menus in other homes I just cringe.
- DW will probably complain about something different than DTV, for reasons above.
- Don't know what to think about Sprint. Haven't gotten great impressions on their customer service.
- May have to swap out a device or two - not sure if all compatible on their network
- Spectrum package is one year promotional, increases $30/month after year one, and another $30 per month after year two.

Option 2: DirecTV + Sprint
$90 DTV+$120 Sprint +$75Charter Internet/phone =$285

Savings: $50/month = $600 per year.

Other:

I haven't really included a cut the cord cable option. We are addicted to DVR, and I think DW would rebel not having some of her TV options/recorded shows available and commercial free.

I looked at Cricket (ATT network) and it doesn't seem like a save a whole ton of money with that: $60+$50+$40+$40 (ipad??) = $190. Truthfully, I wouldn't pay $40 per month for my son's line that he rarely uses, and I'm not sure how they handle Ipads.

US Mobile ? - could be option, not sure how it prices out for 3 phone lines + ipad, and not sure if devices compatible.

I'm a little leery of prepaid plans - my son was on ATT prepaid plan and it just seemed kind of clunky, but that may not mean anything.

Chances are I won't do anything right away, but interested in any options - given the above criteria. I don't see throttling down the data a lot as an option. But otherwise, very interested in any ideas.

Thanks!

Houe

Re: Should I bail on AT&T and Directv?

Post by Houe » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:16 pm

You could try out DirectvNow for a free month. If it would work for you then with the ATT discount it would be $10/month. I heard that some DVR functionality is coming to DirectvNow but I really don't know much about it. Just something to look into. I tried DirectvNow via a FireTv with wired Ethernet and it seems to work quite well, but people's experiences vary quite a bit.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:34 pm

Houe wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:16 pm
You could try out DirectvNow for a free month. If it would work for you then with the ATT discount it would be $10/month. I heard that some DVR functionality is coming to DirectvNow but I really don't know much about it. Just something to look into. I tried DirectvNow via a FireTv with wired Ethernet and it seems to work quite well, but people's experiences vary quite a bit.
interesting idea. Thanks. I've seen it but tried to log in and I couldn't.

So instead of $47 net I pay for DTV, I'd pay $10 for DTVnow - save $37 per month. Is it worth it losing some of the functionality and maybe some channels for $37 per month? Hard to say, but worth consideration.
Last edited by JBTX on Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dyloot

Post by Dyloot » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:39 pm

Houe wrote:
I was recently forced to abandon my DirecTV dish setup so I subscribed to DirecTV NOW. I think it's a great solution for those willing to give up some stability and features of the traditional DirecTV setup. After reading the OP's post, I'm not sure he fits into that category.

The service currently has no DVR. I believe they hope to have it out in the first quarter of 2018.

On-demand helps, but the viewer is forced to watch commercials. After having the power to fast-forward through content for the past 20 years or so, sitting through commercials has been a tad jarring to the overall experience. Especially since DirecTV NOW gives you a timer so you know exactly how much time you're wasting watching commercials--something I'm sure they expect to be perceived as a service, but instead is just a reminder that I'm about to wait through 4 minutes of commercials. :D

Overall, the streaming quality has been excellent. I have 100 Mbps down on our Cable Internet service, and Google WiFi shows me that DirecTV Now is only consuming about 5-8 Mbps as it streams. With that said, there have been some days when I've lost connection to programming--similar to what a DirecTV subscriber could expect when a heavy storm interrupts the satellite connection. So, while I've been overall impressed with the streaming service, it's by no means perfect. I would consider the tried-and-true dish version to be a safer bet.

The pricing is great. I pay $65 for the new AT&T unlimited plan, which gives me a $25 discount to DirecTV NOW and free HBO. No complaints there.

Overall, I've had fun exploring the new streaming-type service. I wouldn't recommend anyone move to it unless they have a really good reason to do so, because it will be a change from the dish service.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:43 pm

Dyloot wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:39 pm
Houe wrote:
I was recently forced to abandon my DirecTV dish setup so I subscribed to DirecTV NOW. I think it's a great solution for those willing to give up some stability and features of the traditional DirecTV setup. After reading the OP's post, I'm not sure he fits into that category.

The service currently has no DVR. I believe they hope to have it out in the first quarter of 2018.

On-demand helps, but the viewer is forced to watch commercials. After having the power to fast-forward through content for the past 20 years or so, sitting through commercials has been a tad jarring to the overall experience. Especially since DirecTV NOW gives you a timer so you know exactly how much time you're wasting watching commercials--something I'm sure they expect to be perceived as a service, but instead is just a reminder that I'm about to wait through 4 minutes of commercials. :D

Overall, the streaming quality has been excellent. I have 100 Mbps down on our Cable Internet service, and Google WiFi shows me that DirecTV Now is only consuming about 5-8 Mbps as it streams. With that said, there have been some days when I've lost connection to programming--similar to what a DirecTV subscriber could expect when a heavy storm interrupts the satellite connection. So, while I've been overall impressed with the streaming service, it's by no means perfect. I would consider the tried-and-true dish version to be a safer bet.

The pricing is great. I pay $65 for the new AT&T unlimited plan, which gives me a $25 discount to DirecTV NOW and free HBO. No complaints there.

Overall, I've had fun exploring the new streaming-type service. I wouldn't recommend anyone move to it unless they have a really good reason to do so, because it will be a change from the dish service.
Totally agree. Recently streamed some network-ish shows on AMC, and really resented having to sit through commercials without ability to fast forward. For that reason, probably a non starter, at least for now.

zimmer0

Post by zimmer0 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:46 pm

fellow North TX member checking in....curious about your experience with Spectrum internet. Currently with Frontier for TV+Internet but looking to drop to a Internet only plan as we will be cutting cord soon.

Certainly you can renegotiate a plan with ATT? If ipad use is limited to home and public areas with wifi, i'd consider dropping that data line.

I'd work the loyalty discounts as long as you can as you will lose those chasing promotional rates elsewhere.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:51 pm

A lot depends on your options for internet only. If you have one option and it is $80+/month for internet only, then it might be a tougher sell.

You certainly can save a bunch of money and maybe more importantly have a more simple solution.

The landline is complicated. Years back, we transferred our number to a cell phone on an extra line. We stopped using it when we signed up for things or gave it as our number and started using our mobile phones. After a few year, very few called it. That number became one of our kids phones.

Take Cricket for an example. Same AT&T coverage. Owned by AT&T. 4 lines with 5GB each on the new (not improved) family plan would be $110/month. Your 4th line could be your "home phone". Get a free android and put it in a central location. There are bluetooth home phone systems that link to your phone (Link2Cell is the technology). The phone can sit in a drawer and you can have handsets around the house.

Research your internet options.

We have been on Playstation Vue for 18+ months. It is a very good (5 streams) system. $34.99/month, but we only get 1 network live. I understand that Sony recently reached an agreement to get the other 3 big networks. Picture is great. DVR function. Separate profiles for each family member.

We use Amazon Fire TV boxes/sticks. You already have Amazon Prime. Great devices. Fast and easy to use. You do have an up front cost to purchase the boxes. Shedding cable boxes, DVRs, cords, cable cords, it is kind of nice.

Internet: $60 (Just a guess, ours is $40/month with no data cap)
Cricket: $110 (4 lines with home phone moved here)
Playstation Vue (or other): $45 (not sure of your market)
Netflix: $12
Amazon Prime: $99/year
OTA Antenna: $X (to get local programs if you don't get all live networks on Vue in your area)

Just an example. It will take a little "work" to get to a new solution, but only you can decide if the savings/simplification makes sense.

You may also need a router upgrade if you go to a streaming only . We went with Google Wi-Fi. Whole house coverage, 3 units, fast, easy to set up.

Start putting options together and see if it is worth the change. Good luck!
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

Dyloot

Post by Dyloot » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:53 pm

JBTX wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:43 pm
Dyloot wrote:
Houe wrote:

Totally agree. Recently streamed some network-ish shows on AMC, and really resented having to sit through commercials without ability to fast forward. For that reason, probably a non starter, at least for now.
Yup.

But, on the positive side, you don't need a dish or receivers. With a solid Internet connection and a Roku (or Apple TV, etc), you can be streaming in less than 5 minutes. And you can stream on iOS, Android, Windows, etc. You can basically turn any device into a TV--with access to all your content.

That part is great.

If you do feel like trying it out, they give a 7 day free trial. You just need a device to stream it. I use a Roku Premiere, which is a 4K device for less than $50 on Amazon. All in all, the cost of streaming is cheap, and you don't need to work with the provider at all. The DirecTV Now website makes adding, removing, or changing service a breeze, and you can bring your own device.

Anyway, I think you're right--probably not the right fit for you at the moment. But I could easily see it evolving into something we all consider better than Satellite TV.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:59 pm

zimmer0 wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:46 pm
fellow North TX member checking in....curious about your experience with Spectrum internet. Currently with Frontier for TV+Internet but looking to drop to a Internet only plan as we will be cutting cord soon.

Certainly you can renegotiate a plan with ATT? If ipad use is limited to home and public areas with wifi, i'd consider dropping that data line.

I'd work the loyalty discounts as long as you can as you will lose those chasing promotional rates elsewhere.
Spectrum is a charter takeover from here. Depends on where you are. We aren't at the full 60mbps yet, still at 36-ish. But that could just be our neighborhood.

Been with charter over 20+ years. Experience overall mostly pretty good. For the first 3 years they never sent me a bill. :D, but eventually that freebie went away. i will say my wife works 3 miles away and has charter/spectrum business package at their office and constantly loses connectivity but that could be due to highway construction.

You can get one year promotional for switching, I think like $40-45 for internet only. But once that passes I've had no luck renegotiating or getting promotionals. I just asked today. No dice.

I do work the DTV loyalty discounts, and have $80+ per month right now. plus some other discounts. But it does become a beating keeping them. 2 months ago I had to threaten to cancel to keep $50 of it. A year or more ago I actually cancelled and future dated the cancellation and that triggered them sending better deals. At some point the haggling and brinkmanship become tiresome.

To your point, if I bailed and try to go back a year down the road, not clear I would get as much discounts with DTV. But usually the dish/DTV game that most play is to cancel and go back and forth and get deep discounts for first year or two.

Ipad goes all over. Dropping data not really a good option.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:04 pm

Dyloot wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:53 pm
JBTX wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:43 pm
Dyloot wrote:
Houe wrote:

Yup.

But, on the positive side, you don't need a dish or receivers. With a solid Internet connection and a Roku (or Apple TV, etc), you can be streaming in less than 5 minutes. And you can stream on iOS, Android, Windows, etc. You can basically turn any device into a TV--with access to all your content.

That part is great.

If you do feel like trying it out, they give a 7 day free trial. You just need a device to stream it. I use a Roku Premiere, which is a 4K device for less than $50 on Amazon. All in all, the cost of streaming is cheap, and you don't need to work with the provider at all. The DirecTV Now website makes adding, removing, or changing service a breeze, and you can bring your own device.

Anyway, I think you're right--probably not the right fit for you at the moment. But I could easily see it evolving into something we all consider better than Satellite TV.
We do have Roku's and we both stream netflix and even occasionally HBO GO or showtime directly. One downside to cord cutting would be college football season. During late Aug-Nov we are hitting a lot of the sports channels. Otherwise could care less about most of the other sports.

brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:04 pm

Houe wrote:
I'm beta'ing the DirectTVNow DVR, it's not close to prime time yet but it's coming.

Dyloot

Post by Dyloot » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:22 pm

brad.clarkston wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:04 pm
Houe wrote:
I'm beta'ing the DirectTVNow DVR, it's not close to prime time yet but it's coming.
How is it, Brad? Or are you in an NDA that stops you from saying (even casually)?

I'm hoping it solves some of the commercial annoyances.

brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:26 pm

Dyloot wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:22 pm
brad.clarkston wrote:
Houe wrote:
How is it, Brad? Or are you in an NDA that stops you from saying (even casually)?

O it sucks badly at the moment but it's getting there. Lots of crashing and loosing saved video but AT&T has always been slow on dev work.
Don't expect it to remove commercials as that's up to the content creator to say yes or no not the carrier.

Dyloot

Post by Dyloot » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:28 pm

brad.clarkston wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:26 pm
Dyloot wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:22 pm
brad.clarkston wrote:
Houe wrote:

O it sucks badly at the moment but it's getting there. Lots of crashing and loosing saved video but AT&T has always been slow on dev work.
Don't expect it to remove commercials as that's up to the content creator to say yes or no not the carrier.
But you can fast forward through content? Or is fast forwarding disabled?

brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:31 pm

Houe wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

But you can fast forward through content? Or is fast forwarding disabled?
[/quote]

Disabled at the moment but that's still changing as there just trying to get the service to work half of the time.

TonyDAntonio

Post by TonyDAntonio » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:38 pm

No (to the OP's question).

Full disclosure: I own a large amount of T. 😀

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:19 pm

TonyDAntonio wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:38 pm

I posed the question to the ATT rep on the phone, why should I stay with ATT at $220 when sprint comparable phone package is at $120? I never really got a good answer.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:32 pm

AT&T is losing customers every month. I'm sure they are getting sick and tired of the calls.

Tough to compare AT&T with Sprint. If you are in a large metro area, Sprint is ok. If you go off the beaten path, the coverage is not as good. AT&T and Verizon have the best coverage. With the Sprint and T-Mobile merger possibly falling apart, they are probably in rough shape.

Directv and Dish and Cable are going to have to figure out how to compete with streaming. If they don't they will go out of business.

The price of streaming services will go up as demand rises, the price of traditional cable will (have to) come down. When the two are close again, then it will be an interesting decision.

The other variable is if internet keeps going up. Data caps, higher costs. That can flip things so a dish based system or cable bundle with a lower price comes back into play.

Disruptive industry changes. AT&T owns Cricket. Cricket is changing the family plan and is facing upward price pressure.

All you can do is evaluate and walk with your dollars. Not being locked into 2 year contracts is sure nice. Then you can walk whenever you want.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:36 pm

JBTX wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:19 pm
TonyDAntonio wrote:

I posed the question to the ATT rep on the phone, why should I stay with ATT at $220 when sprint comparable phone package is at $120? I never really got a good answer.
As a enterprise (non-retail) Sprint employee there's absolutely no reason to to with AT&T as they have the worst pricing out of the four right now.

AT&T and Verizon was caught sleeping at the wheel when the Unlimited plans started hitting. T-Mo did a better job then we did but we are gaining. Surprisingly enough we had the best iPhone 8/X deals on launch and should have the best holiday ones as well since we do not need to build out like T-Mo does so no large capital hit.

The biggest problems with Sprint is no BYOD due to CDMA and our network is only 75% (AT&T is best at 85%) of the country which we will be working on now that we have good leadership. It might not look like it but Softbank was a godsend for the company.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:52 pm

brad.clarkston wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:36 pm
JBTX wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:19 pm
TonyDAntonio wrote:

As a enterprise (non-retail) Sprint employee there's absolutely no reason to to with AT&T as they have the worst pricing out of the four right now.

AT&T and Verizon was caught sleeping at the wheel when the Unlimited plans started hitting. T-Mo did a better job then we did but we are gaining. Surprisingly enough we had the best iPhone 8/X deals on launch and should have the best holiday ones as well since we do not need to build out like T-Mo does so no large capital hit.

The biggest problems with Sprint is no BYOD due to CDMA and our network is only 75% (AT&T is best at 85%) of the country which we will be working on now that we have good leadership. It might not look like it but Softbank was a godsend for the company.
I'm half tempted to go with Sprint just because we can get some new iphone devices significantly discounted. I wouldn't mind upgrading, my daughter wants to switch back to iphone, and my son actually wants an iphone too, although he rarely uses a phone, yet.

I got some initial pricing, but the phone rep would not give more detailed device pricing without first running a hard credit pull. I found that kind of irritating, so I cutoff the conversation shortly afterwards.

brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:00 pm

JBTX wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:52 pm
I got some initial pricing, but the phone rep would not give more detailed device pricing without first running a hard credit pull. I found that kind of irritating, so I cutoff the conversation shortly afterwards.
Yea unfortunately that's the way all four big boys are going. They make more money by post-pay leasing interest so hard credit checks are needed to get snap credit risk tier pricing. That's just the way all post-pay is going not just Sprint, we are just a bit more transparent about it.
Pre-pay is better about that but costs more in the long run.

The Unlimited $160 Family plans from Sprint and T-Mo are the best right now if your looking for all new phones (that would be for 4). Ours is pretty damn close to real unlimited data as we utilize a bigger back end fiber network to dump LTE off on which lowers cost and gives better service. One of those works in progress.

It just depends on who has the better local network for you, Sprint or T-Mo

Carl53

Post by Carl53 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:02 pm

We had slow DSL, and went with this ATT device at $20 per month.

https://www.att.com/cellphones/att/wire ... sku7130587

We are over the 22GB limit but have not noticed the slowdown for use with a desk computer on a router servicing an iPad with WiFi. When I check speed it is usually near 20MB/sec and occasionally reaches 50. The directv box does not work with it for on demand items nor looking to start shows over from the beginning when tuning in at mid show.

Saving 70 per month from the prior cost of dsl and home phone. We ported our home phone number to the device. It has worked well enough that we got one for the inlaws to replace their 15kb dial up service. It is slower ther but still several hundred times faster than what they had for 20per month as an add on to our plan. I have been encouraging the spouse to do more hotspottkng at home. So far so good.

TonyDAntonio

Post by TonyDAntonio » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:33 am

bloom2708 wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:32 pm
AT&T is losing customers every month. I'm sure they are getting sick and tired of the calls.

Tough to compare AT&T with Sprint. If you are in a large metro area, Sprint is ok. If you go off the beaten path, the coverage is not as good. AT&T and Verizon have the best coverage. With the Sprint and T-Mobile merger possibly falling apart, they are probably in rough shape.

Directv and Dish and Cable are going to have to figure out how to compete with streaming. If they don't they will go out of business.

The price of streaming services will go up as demand rises, the price of traditional cable will (have to) come down. When the two are close again, then it will be an interesting decision.

The other variable is if internet keeps going up. Data caps, higher costs. That can flip things so a dish based system or cable bundle with a lower price comes back into play.

Disruptive industry changes. AT&T owns Cricket. Cricket is changing the family plan and is facing upward price pressure.

All you can do is evaluate and walk with your dollars. Not being locked into 2 year contracts is sure nice. Then you can walk whenever you want.
DirectvNow is T's OTT offering. I don't know much about it. We still have the DirecTV dish. $10 per month.

parhur

Post by parhur » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:42 pm

several years ago we cut the cable and went with a Ruko device internet streaming device. we cut the $100 a month cable bill and we have never looked back. 90% of out time we watch Hulu and netflix which is a subscription base but no where near the cable cost.

Houe

Post by Houe » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:24 am

Looks like AT&T reduced the directv/directvnow discount to only $15 (was $25). So that option becomes a little less compelling.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:14 pm

I would keep Diectv if you are happy with it.Do you really need cellular on the iPad?If either you or your wife is 55,T-Mobile has a great deal for 2 phones unlimited use,60 bucks a month.I am switching next month and dropping the cellular from my iPad.
If have to really analyze your tv usage and figure out what you would lose by dropping Directv.I have Directv and Roku for Netflix and Amazon Prime.TV is our main entertainment and I watch a lot of sports.It all comes down to what is important to you,but you can do much better price wise and still keep what you want.Directv can be a pain with the pricing battles but worth it to me.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.