Anyone planning on getting the new Pixel phone?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
FreemanB

Re: Anyone planning on getting the new Pixel phone?

Post by FreemanB » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:05 pm

DiggleRex wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:04 pm
Oh perfect, then you can answer a question for me (I'm on verizon too). Does the Verizon version come with any bloatware/pre-installed Verizon apps? Fear of that was one of the reasons that if I were to get this phone, I was considering getting it unlocked from google and just putting in my current sim. And I can't remember, did the phone you came from have a bigger or equivalent screen to the Pixel 2?
For the screen size, I recall comparing before buying, and I think the difference was only about .2 inches, with my old phone being slightly larger. I haven't noticed that small of a difference though, and probably wouldn't unless I compared them side by side. I don't actually remember any bloatware being installed, but I also hadn't checked either, since I hadn't seen any indication that they were running.(Annoying notifications, updates, etc) Searching on Google tells me that nothing comes on the phone, but Verizon will install a few apps from the network when you activate the SIM card they include with the phone. I skipped that part, replacing the new SIM with my old phone's SIM card, so I may not have had any apps installed. Either way, from what I read, they can be completely uninstalled and removed if desired anyway. I'll double-check when I leave work(Don't have the phone on me at the moment) and let you know if I see anything on there.

Gadget

Post by Gadget » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:37 pm

I'm typing this on a pixel 2 xl. So far I'm loving this phone. No issues for me except the blue tint when tilted at an angle. Which no longer bothers me. I actually prefer the more muted and accurate colors. When I first saw it in the store I thought it looked washed out compared to the Samsung, but for normal use I greatly prefer muted accurate colors vs super saturated after getting used to it. And if you test it on a 4k hdr YouTube video, it's hard to pretend that this isn't a great display.

I thought the squeeze for assistant was a dumb gimmick, but I'm finding I actually like it. Same with the song recognition feature while on the lock screen.

But like with the original pixel phone, it's all about the camera. It's even better than the last one. And the portrait mode is great. Video is better too. Makes me wonder if it's ever really worth it to haul my expensive dslr around unless I need a big zoom or am doing a specific photo shoot of my kids.

Add in the 2 year warranty upgrade from all the initial display complaints, and I'm happy.

DiggleRex

Post by DiggleRex » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:14 pm

Gadget wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:37 pm
I'm typing this on a pixel 2 xl. So far I'm loving this phone. No issues for me except the blue tint when tilted at an angle.
Which network are you using it on?

MichaelRpdx

Post by MichaelRpdx » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:59 pm

Posts here are making me wish my 2xl would arrive sooner.
Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity

DiggleRex

Post by DiggleRex » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:55 pm

ryuns wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:14 pm
T-Mobile, which probably doesn't help you, since you're on Verizon. We just bought the unlocked ad-free version via Amazon, so it's mostly bloatware free, excluding a few Motorola items, which are mostly helpful.
Any particular reason she chose that version over the s version?

TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:51 pm

Yeah, looking forward to my XL 2 upgrade, trading in my Pixel XL 1. Should happen around 11/23-27. GOOG stock price increase today basically paid for the phone. :beer
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | Endurance athletes are the Bogleheads of sports. | "I like people - I just don't want to be around 'em." - Russell Gordy

FreemanB

Post by FreemanB » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:03 am

DiggleRex wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:04 pm
Oh perfect, then you can answer a question for me (I'm on verizon too). Does the Verizon version come with any bloatware/pre-installed Verizon apps? Fear of that was one of the reasons that if I were to get this phone, I was considering getting it unlocked from google and just putting in my current sim.
Okay, after looking at my phone, it looks like some Verizon apps got installed, probably during setup. I had MyVerizon, which I use anyway, and go90, which I don't. I uninstalled go90 just like any other app though, so it isn't baked into the phone.(Took about two seconds to uninstall after I saw it was there) I didn't see any other apps that jumped out at me(I read there may be a Verizon Messages app, but I haven't gone through yet), and given the ability to uninstall, it shouldn't be a big deal. No bloatware worries on the Pixel 2.

ryuns

Post by ryuns » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:07 pm

DiggleRex wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:55 pm
ryuns wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:14 pm
T-Mobile, which probably doesn't help you, since you're on Verizon. We just bought the unlocked ad-free version via Amazon, so it's mostly bloatware free, excluding a few Motorola items, which are mostly helpful.
Any particular reason she chose that version over the s version?
For her, it was mostly size. She was coming from an iPhone 5c with 4" screen, so bumping up to 5.2 was enough for her [add jokes here]. The reviews I read said the camera wasn't *that* much better, so it's really only worth the extra $50 if you want a bigger screen.
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton

BeerMoney

Post by BeerMoney » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:41 am

DiggleRex wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:43 am
BeerMoney wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:36 am
Got my Pixel 2 XL on Thursday. Noticed a dead pixel on my Pixel! It's stuck on blue right near the center of the screen.
That is a shame! hopefully it gets sorted out. I looked at it again in person today..price aside for a moment, I think if I were to put a decent case on it, it'll become quite large (especially in height). I may hold off just a bit longer to see what more people say about the screen. Also curious if google plans on dropping the price of the first pixels anytime soon--they're still quite expensive for 1 year old phones.
It's all sorted now, they quickly sent a replacement. They gave me three weeks to send back the original phone so I let my SO try out the original one they sent with the dead pixel for a week too so she could see if she wanted to switch from an iPhone.

Apparently there's a 2 year warranty now so that sets my mind more at ease.

The new one they sent seems to work great so far, no dead pixels.

Gadget

Post by Gadget » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:22 pm

DiggleRex wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:14 pm
Gadget wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:37 pm
I'm typing this on a pixel 2 xl. So far I'm loving this phone. No issues for me except the blue tint when tilted at an angle.
Which network are you using it on?
Verizon. But I got the unlocked version from Google store.

DiggleRex

Post by DiggleRex » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:09 pm

Gadget wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:22 pm
Was it at simple as putting in your SIM from you previous phone? If so, does it just immediately work or does anything need to be done in the account?

MichaelRpdx

Post by MichaelRpdx » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:23 pm

DiggleRex wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:09 pm
Gadget wrote:
Was it at simple as putting in your SIM from you previous phone? If so, does it just immediately work or does anything need to be done in the account?
The Pixel 2 has an eSIM. You get to register with your phone company again.

[edit]Ignore me, see what DiggleRex says in the next post.
Last edited by MichaelRpdx on Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity

DiggleRex

Post by DiggleRex » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:32 pm

The esim is for project fi. The phone has a standard nano sim slot as well.

Gadget

Post by Gadget » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:10 pm

DiggleRex wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:09 pm
Gadget wrote:
I took the Sim card out of my old phone, put it in the new phone, and did the online activation from Verizon. It was really simple.

You can only do the esim thing on project fi I believe. I think with all the major carriers you will have to use a physical Sim card.

DiggleRex

Post by DiggleRex » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:15 pm

Gadget wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:10 pm

I took the Sim card out of my old phone, put it in the new phone, and did the online activation from Verizon. It was really simple.

You can only do the esim thing on project fi I believe. I think with all the major carriers you will have to use a physical Sim card.
If you wouldn't mind, can you summarize the online process? I've looked at it but found it a bit confusing. I was under the impression that if one already had an active sim in a phone, they could just place it in another phone and power on, and that it would just start working instantly. I thought one could bypass having to do anything online that way.

Gadget

Post by Gadget » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:09 am

DiggleRex wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:15 pm
Gadget wrote:

If you wouldn't mind, can you summarize the online process? I've looked at it but found it a bit confusing. I was under the impression that if one already had an active sim in a phone, they could just place it in another phone and power on, and that it would just start working instantly. I thought one could bypass having to do anything online that way.
I checked my text messages to jog my memory. I believe I had the online activation instructions up and ready, but instead when I put in my old Sim card I got a text message to activate my new phone. I just clicked it and it did it. I can't remember if it asked any questions or not, but I did find that I got a text link to activate my device. It wasn't painful enough for me to remember many details.

BlueEars

Post by BlueEars » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:19 am

I would eventually like to replace my Nexus 6P with a Pixel 2XL. The trade in value right now says about $150 for the Nexus 6P. So the pricing sounds reasonable.

So I'm reading this and other reviews with interest. A bit concerned about the screen issues and I'm hoping for more clarity in the coming weeks.

DiggleRex

Post by DiggleRex » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:24 am

For those that have the Pixel 2 / Pixel 2 XL, have you received the latest update yet (probably still rolling out) that was supposed to address some of the main issues, and if so, did it address them in a satisfactory way?

Ketawa

Post by Ketawa » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:28 am

DiggleRex wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:15 pm
Gadget wrote:

My experience on Verizon Prepaid: every time I change phones, I enter the new phone's IMEI into the web site online. I don't know if postpaid is different or if the SIM would work without entering it online, never tried.

pochax

Post by pochax » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:36 am

BlueEars wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:19 am
I would eventually like to replace my Nexus 6P with a Pixel 2XL. The trade in value right now says about $150 for the Nexus 6P. So the pricing sounds reasonable.

So I'm reading this and other reviews with interest. A bit concerned about the screen issues and I'm hoping for more clarity in the coming weeks.
i just sold my Nexus 6P (64GB) on swappa last month for $245 so you can probably get a little more than trade-in value by selling it yourself.

BlueEars

Post by BlueEars » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:49 am

Thanks for the tip.

bandoba

Post by bandoba » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:34 am

DiggleRex wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:24 am
For those that have the Pixel 2 / Pixel 2 XL, have you received the latest update yet (probably still rolling out) that was supposed to address some of the main issues, and if so, did it address them in a satisfactory way?
I haven't received the update yet.

DiggleRex

Post by DiggleRex » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:44 am

bandoba wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:34 am
Thanks. I believe the article I read said it would be rolling out over this week.

soccerdad12

Post by soccerdad12 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:51 am

I have had the Pixel 2 XL for a couple of weeks now. Love the phone. I don't even notice the screen issues everyone talks about. I am a normal user I would guess. It is lightning fast and the battery lasts forever. I love the phone. I also moved off AT&T (paying abour $45/month) onto Project FI (paying $30/month). Fi has been great and will save me money every month. I am not a data heavy user outside of wifi areas. I do use Google Maps though on trips, but haven't done that yet to see how much data it uses.

Highly recommend the phone!

TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:50 pm

soccerdad12 wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:51 am
I do use Google Maps though on trips, but haven't done that yet to see how much data it uses.
Tip: Use Data Saver mode when driving, see: https://support.google.com/pixelphone/a ... 5392?hl=en
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | Endurance athletes are the Bogleheads of sports. | "I like people - I just don't want to be around 'em." - Russell Gordy

Cheyenne

Post by Cheyenne » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:50 am

My experience on Verizon Prepaid: every time I change phones, I enter the new phone's IMEI into the web site online. I don't know if postpaid is different or if the SIM would work without entering it online, never tried.
That's also the way I did it when I was on Verizon prepaid. I'm now on Verizon postpaid and I frequently switch between an iPhone and a Nexus by moving the SIM. The Verizon system recognizes the change immediately with no other notification required on my part.

DiggleRex

Post by DiggleRex » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:58 am

Cheyenne wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:50 am
I'm now on Verizon postpaid and I frequently switch between an iPhone and a Nexus by moving the SIM. The Verizon system recognizes the change immediately with no other notification required on my part.

Thank you, that's helpful to know.

bandoba

Post by bandoba » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:52 am

DiggleRex wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:44 am
bandoba wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:34 am
Thanks. I believe the article I read said it would be rolling out over this week.
Installed update last night. I used boost mode display option and it looks great. The screen was already great IMO, if you are okay with blue shift. Awesome phone, though expensive.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:46 pm

TimeRunner wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:50 pm
soccerdad12 wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:51 am
I do use Google Maps though on trips, but haven't done that yet to see how much data it uses.
Tip: Use Data Saver mode when driving, see: https://support.google.com/pixelphone/a ... 5392?hl=en
Waze and Google Maps don't use a huge amount. I use them both just about every weekend when I do a 320 mi RT drive to NYC. With all the other stuff I do, I still virtually never exceed 1 Gb data total/month.

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:40 pm

almost and will Depend.
My Nexus 5x on Project FI(18+months) wouldn't charge (I really ran the battery down to shutoff - red blinking LED), searching for a compatible phone at pawn shops and used stores by flipping in the esim. Decided to try one more time on the charger and it began to accept a charge. IT Works.
I was going to make a trip to PDX to buy a used 5X, OBO for $150-200.
I hate change.
Rev90517; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax 25%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:35 pm

Just curious: are there many iPhone converts in this discussion, or mostly Google fans?
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

DiggleRex

Post by DiggleRex » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:51 pm

For those using the smaller pixel 2, is it pretty problem free?

FreemanB

Post by FreemanB » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:14 pm

DiggleRex wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:51 pm
For those using the smaller pixel 2, is it pretty problem free?
I haven't had a single problem with mine, before or after the update. I got it on release day, so I've been using it for nearly a month now. I'd definitely recommend it.

DiggleRex

Post by DiggleRex » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:09 am

FreemanB wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:14 pm
I haven't had a single problem with mine, before or after the update. I got it on release day, so I've been using it for nearly a month now. I'd definitely recommend it.
Thank you. The main issue specific to the Pixel 2 I was waiting to hear more about was a microphone issue affecting some users where the mic would cut off during calls: https://www.phonearena.com/news/Google- ... ue_id99690

There's some conflicting info on it because some google representatives referred to it as being a software glitch (which therefore should be fixable with an update) yet offered to replace the phone (which would imply a hardware issue actually)

FreemanB

Post by FreemanB » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:10 am

DiggleRex wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:09 am
Thank you. The main issue specific to the Pixel 2 I was waiting to hear more about was a microphone issue affecting some users where the mic would cut off during calls: https://www.phonearena.com/news/Google- ... ue_id99690

There's some conflicting info on it because some google representatives referred to it as being a software glitch (which therefore should be fixable with an update) yet offered to replace the phone (which would imply a hardware issue actually)
I haven't had this problem, but I've made more calls through my car's Bluetooth connection than directly through the phone itself. I'll try to actually make some direct calls through the phone this evening and see if I notice anything.

darrvao777

Post by darrvao777 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:04 pm

Just placed an order for the Pixel 2, I had wanted the XL version but got spooked by the screen issues

My last phone was the original Pixel and was very happy with it, particularly the camera

Cheyenne

Post by Cheyenne » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:52 am

Just curious: are there many iPhone converts in this discussion, or mostly Google fans?
Not a convert. I've always used both formats. I currently have an iPhone SE and a Nexus 5X and swap my Verizon SIM frequently (kind of like having two... well, forget that). I looked very closely at the Pixel and Pixel 2. The Pixel is too small for me and I was scared away from the Pixel 2 because of the blue screen and other reported issues. So, I just bought an iPhone 8 Plus. I'm very happy with it.

hfj

Post by hfj » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:11 pm

Myself, wife, and two daughters all switched over from iPhones 6/5s to Pixel 2's mainly because we were switching to Project Fi for the international plan, data sims, and lower rates (we tend to be in wifi most of the time). No major issues for anyone, mainly a matter of getting used to slightly different ways of doing things.

RustyShackleford

Post by RustyShackleford » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:44 pm

These are all reasons why I loved my nexus and I'm very sad that Google discontinued that line. The Pixel looks like a great phone, but I have a hard time paying that kind of money for a phone.
So I have a Nexus 5X, with insurance under Project Fi. What will happen if I lose or break my phone, if Nexus is no longer available ? If they just give me a Pixel (for $69) I might just "lose" my Nexus :-) Otherwise, I agree - it's ridiculous to pay that kind of money for a phone. That's my main gripe with iPhone, even though I'd never own a non-Apple computer.

TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:44 am

Received XL 2 Panda phone a few days ago. Really nice phone, and it's splashproof so I no longer need a lifeproof case. Took some fun video yesterday when we encountered an at least 500 count Dolphin pod rounding up fish in the Santa Barbara Channel.

RustyShackleford

Post by RustyShackleford » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:52 pm

RustyShackleford wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:44 pm
So I have a Nexus 5X, with insurance under Project Fi. What will happen if I lose or break my phone, if Nexus is no longer available ? If they just give me a Pixel (for $69) I might just "lose" my Nexus :-)
Called Project Fi. They said if my phone needs warranty replacement, they will just give me a $100 credit towards a new phone. Or a check for $50+ (depending on how much memory my phone had). I wondered (aloud) if it was worth continuing to pay the $5/mo insurance then. The CSR said he frankly thought "no". I'm not so sure. Seems like if something happens to my phone within the next less than 20 months, it will have been worth it. I can also trade-in my phone for $119.