Selling my house in Miami, is it smart decision?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
rodrigoviolante

Selling my house in Miami, is it smart decision?

Post by rodrigoviolante » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:05 pm

Hello, everyone has seen this crazy bull market, and to be honest I don't feel it will continue this way. So I'm selling my house for three reasons. I'm am even taking a loss on the sale.

1.- I have 50% still in mortgage
2.- Have cash (or ETF) to be able to buy good opportunities if the market crashes.
3.- House Market in miami is crazy high.

I wanted to have your opinions, is it smart to sell a house at this point, or just keep it long term?

Thank you

Rodrigo

Re: Selling my house in Miami, is it smart decision?

Post by 123 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:34 pm

A lot depends on if you intend to move to another area or if you're downsizing in the same area or if you've decided you'd rather rent.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

rodrigoviolante

Post by rodrigoviolante » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:42 pm

I'm thinking in renting, until I see better opportunities.

aaronl

Post by aaronl » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:53 pm

Owning a house long-term in Miami does not sound like a good idea to me.

Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:12 am

I don't think anyone on the board can answer this question for you with the information provided. Some things to think about:

Would you buy the same house again at the current price if given the chance?

What is the price-to-rent ratio (the price of the house divided by its annual after-costs rent)?
'
How would your financial situation change if your home value dropped by 10%? What about if it dropped 30%?

denovo

Post by denovo » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:22 am

If housing prices have gone crazy-up, how are you losing money?

runner540

Post by runner540 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:14 am

These economists do a buy vs rent index (much more comprehensive than just dividing house price by rent), and according to their work, Miami slightly favors renting right now. No where near as clear as during the housing bubble.
https://business.fau.edu/departments/fi ... graphs/#FL

Dallas, Denver and Houston on the other hand are clearly favorable for renting.

(gekko)

Post by (gekko) » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:20 pm

Yes, I know your feelings. I have an apartment there and since January 2016 it’s up 30%!

Atgard

Post by Atgard » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:47 pm

rodrigoviolante wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:05 pm
Hello, everyone has seen this crazy bull market, and to be honest I don't feel it will continue this way. So I'm selling my house for three reasons. I'm am even taking a loss on the sale.
Something is missing... you think housing prices in Miami are "crazy high" and in a "crazy bull market," but you'd take a loss if you sold your house now? Something doesn't add up.

Did you buy it very recently and are having buyer's remorse? Do you think the housing market is at a "high" and are trying to time the market (most here will tell you that is usually a losing game)?

Did you buy a house that you can afford and that meets your needs? If not, why did you buy it? If so, have your needs changed in some way?

hale2

Post by hale2 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:49 pm

aaronl wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:53 pm
Why? Just curious.

rodrigoviolante

Post by rodrigoviolante » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:53 pm

Thanks, everyone that has posted information.

Just to clarify this, its not about if I did a smart investment 2 years ago buying the house. Its more about if its smarter to sell assets and stay in cash than keep the house that might fall hard after the next crash, that at some point it will happen.

If its a nice house, ugly house, etc doesn't matter.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:53 pm

hale2 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:49 pm
aaronl wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:53 pm
Why? Just curious.
Flooding.

Miami is built on limestone, so you can't even build a wall around it to keep the sea out; it soaks up from underneath.

They recently upgraded their pumps, so they are somewhat keeping up with the problem, but I would never ever buy anything in Miami as a long-term purchase.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/c ... 41856.html

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:54 pm

if you are taking a loss then they are not crazy high prices.

rodrigoviolante

Post by rodrigoviolante » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:56 pm

Well I'm taking a loss considering all the upgrades to the house, and I'm also to be under market value to sell it faster.

abracadabra11

Post by abracadabra11 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:56 pm

Rodrigo,

Unfortunately, you've come to the wrong place for the advice your seeking. No one on this board (or collectively) can accurately assess whether it's sensible to sell your house now or wait 6 months or wait 10 years. If you care to post additional details about your financials, then you'll receive lots of good advice on whether you're spending too much on your mortgage, not investing sufficiently, and/or poorly allocated across stocks/bonds. Absent this, your flip of a coin is about as good as ours. As a general recommendation, selling any investment because you 'think' the market is 'too hot' is not a strategy that's ever endorsed here. Whether a home is an investment is a topic you'll find often debated.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:18 pm

abracadabra11 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:56 pm
Rodrigo,

Unfortunately, you've come to the wrong place for the advice your seeking. No one on this board (or collectively) can accurately assess whether it's sensible to sell your house now or wait 6 months or wait 10 years. If you care to post additional details about your financials, then you'll receive lots of good advice on whether you're spending too much on your mortgage, not investing sufficiently, and/or poorly allocated across stocks/bonds. Absent this, your flip of a coin is about as good as ours. As a general recommendation, selling any investment because you 'think' the market is 'too hot' is not a strategy that's ever endorsed here. Whether a home is an investment is a topic you'll find often debated.
Good post.

Yes, in general, we don't believe in predictions here. None of us here can tell you if it's a good idea to sell today or not. If you have a large amount of your net worth tied up in this house, then we might counsel you to sell it so you can diversify your risk.

But none of us know if Miami is a "hot market", or whether or not it's a good idea to sell, and buy back in "after the next Miami housing crash". Just like the stock market, you might sell, watch prices double again, drop 40%, and then you'd have to decide if you wanted to buy back in at HIGHER PRICE.