Fellow TDA bogleheads [TDA dropping Vanguard ETFs from commission-free list]

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
TropikThunder
Posts: 618
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:41 pm

Re: Fellow TDA bogleheads [TDA dropping Vanguard ETFs from commission-free list]

Post by TropikThunder » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:55 am

serbeer wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:41 pm
indexfundfan wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:47 pm
I think this move by TDA/SSGA could have a silver lining. I believe the AUM for the new SPDR Portfolio funds would grow significantly, and this would give us more choices of ETF TLH partners.
Which partners? SPDR would be the only one comission-free, so you will not be able to not exchange into anything else comission-free.
With current set, I have TLH pairs which are both comission free, I posted them earlier in this thread.
Did you even look at the new list? There are 296 ETFs from 8 different fund families. Sure there are some dogs there but "SPDR would be the only one commission free" is an overreaction.

https://s1.q4cdn.com/959385532/files/do ... rogram.pdf

User avatar
triceratop
Moderator
Posts: 3609
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:20 pm
Location: la la land

Re: Fellow TDA bogleheads [TDA dropping Vanguard ETFs from commission-free list]

Post by triceratop » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:06 am

serbeer wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:41 pm
indexfundfan wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:47 pm
I think this move by TDA/SSGA could have a silver lining. I believe the AUM for the new SPDR Portfolio funds would grow significantly, and this would give us more choices of ETF TLH partners.
Which partners? SPDR would be the only one comission-free, so you will not be able to not exchange into anything else comission-free.
With current set, I have TLH pairs which are both comission free, I posted them earlier in this thread.
True, but the SPDR Portfolio funds are commission-free anywhere that all other ETFs are commission-free. Those of us at Merrill Edge, or Schwab, or Wells, who have commission-free trades can use them as TLH partners.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

User avatar
serbeer
Posts: 1062
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:09 pm

Re: Fellow TDA bogleheads [TDA dropping Vanguard ETFs from commission-free list]

Post by serbeer » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:19 am

TropikThunder wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:55 am
serbeer wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:41 pm
indexfundfan wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:47 pm
I think this move by TDA/SSGA could have a silver lining. I believe the AUM for the new SPDR Portfolio funds would grow significantly, and this would give us more choices of ETF TLH partners.
Which partners? SPDR would be the only one comission-free, so you will not be able to not exchange into anything else comission-free.
With current set, I have TLH pairs which are both comission free, I posted them earlier in this thread.
Did you even look at the new list? There are 296 ETFs from 8 different fund families. Sure there are some dogs there but "SPDR would be the only one commission free" is an overreaction.

https://s1.q4cdn.com/959385532/files/do ... rogram.pdf
Sorry. I meant to say the only comission-free ETFs that would be considered a potentially good option by majority of bogleheads due to high degree of diversification and low ER.

User avatar
indexfundfan
Posts: 1914
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:21 am
Contact:

Re: Fellow TDA bogleheads [TDA dropping Vanguard ETFs from commission-free list]

Post by indexfundfan » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:02 pm

triceratop wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:06 am
serbeer wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:41 pm
indexfundfan wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:47 pm
I think this move by TDA/SSGA could have a silver lining. I believe the AUM for the new SPDR Portfolio funds would grow significantly, and this would give us more choices of ETF TLH partners.
Which partners? SPDR would be the only one comission-free, so you will not be able to not exchange into anything else comission-free.
With current set, I have TLH pairs which are both comission free, I posted them earlier in this thread.
True, but the SPDR Portfolio funds are commission-free anywhere that all other ETFs are commission-free. Those of us at Merrill Edge, or Schwab, or Wells, who have commission-free trades can use them as TLH partners.
Yeah, my comment was more for people with free trades elsewhere. I have 100 free trades from Merrill Edge.

Still if the TLH amount is large, it is probably still worthwhile to pay the commission fee to perform the TLH.
My signature has been deleted.

JustinR
Posts: 406
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:43 pm

Re: Fellow TDA bogleheads [TDA dropping Vanguard ETFs from commission-free list]

Post by JustinR » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:08 pm

Just got an email that Jan 19 is the new commission free deadline for everybody.
We have extended the commission-free transition period for legacy ETFs until January 19, 2018.

All new funds are available to trade commission-free today.

After January 19, 2018, the 84 legacy funds will still be available at TD Ameritrade at the standard online commission rate. The remaining 16 funds will continue to be a part of the enhanced ETF Market Center.

All other previously communicated changes remain in place. Enrollment and short-term redemption fees will be eliminated effective November 20, 2017. Selling legacy ETFs prior to November 20,2017 may incur a short-term redemption fee.

Ragnoth
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:10 am

Re: Fellow TDA bogleheads [TDA dropping Vanguard ETFs from commission-free list]

Post by Ragnoth » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:02 pm

JustinR wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:08 pm
Just got an email that Jan 19 is the new commission free deadline for everybody.
We have extended the commission-free transition period for legacy ETFs until January 19, 2018.

All new funds are available to trade commission-free today.

After January 19, 2018, the 84 legacy funds will still be available at TD Ameritrade at the standard online commission rate. The remaining 16 funds will continue to be a part of the enhanced ETF Market Center.

All other previously communicated changes remain in place. Enrollment and short-term redemption fees will be eliminated effective November 20, 2017. Selling legacy ETFs prior to November 20,2017 may incur a short-term redemption fee.
I received the same email. This is pretty good news. I plan to bide my time a bit and wait for the new funds to gain volume before switching over the ETFs in my 401k accounts.

That said, I'm moving over taxable and IRA accounts to Merrill Edge to take advantage of the free trades. The new funds are fine, but I prefer Vanguard ETFs, and see no reason to eat unnecessary fees on my current/future holdings.

User avatar
Earl Lemongrab
Posts: 2886
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:14 am

Re: Fellow TDA bogleheads [TDA dropping Vanguard ETFs from commission-free list]

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:00 am

Ragnoth wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:02 pm
That said, I'm moving over taxable and IRA accounts to Merrill Edge to take advantage of the free trades. The new funds are fine, but I prefer Vanguard ETFs, and see no reason to eat unnecessary fees on my current/future holdings.
Remember to sign up for a bonus too.
This week's fortune cookie: "You will do well to expand your horizons." Ow. Passive-aggressive and vaguely ominous.

Ragnoth
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:10 am

Re: Fellow TDA bogleheads [TDA dropping Vanguard ETFs from commission-free list]

Post by Ragnoth » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:14 am

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:00 am
Ragnoth wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:02 pm
That said, I'm moving over taxable and IRA accounts to Merrill Edge to take advantage of the free trades. The new funds are fine, but I prefer Vanguard ETFs, and see no reason to eat unnecessary fees on my current/future holdings.
Remember to sign up for a bonus too.
I appreciate the reminder!

I was sure to enter the appropriate codes, and clarified everything over the phone with their "on-boarding" representative.

I won't say that the bonus was a deciding factor, but it made the decision a little easier. :wink:

User avatar
tarnation
Posts: 2330
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:36 am

Re: Fellow TDA bogleheads [TDA dropping Vanguard ETFs from commission-free list]

Post by tarnation » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:06 pm

So looking through the new list, the Wisdom tree US multi factor (USMF) sounded interesting. Anybody else look at this one? Volume is low down.
Image

User avatar
triceratop
Moderator
Posts: 3609
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:20 pm
Location: la la land

Re: Fellow TDA bogleheads [TDA dropping Vanguard ETFs from commission-free list]

Post by triceratop » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:12 pm

tarnation wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:06 pm
So looking through the new list, the Wisdom tree US multi factor (USMF) sounded interesting. Anybody else look at this one? Volume is low down.
You have to ignore products like this. Say you want to put $2500 into USMF on a given day, which is pretty small. That is more than 50% of the average daily shares volume. Not practical at all. Also, if you want something more concrete -- look at the spreads tomorrow when the market is open; I bet transaction costs will be high.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

SlowMovingInvestor
Posts: 213
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:27 am

Re: Fellow TDA bogleheads [TDA dropping Vanguard ETFs from commission-free list]

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:01 pm

JustinR wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:08 pm
Just got an email that Jan 19 is the new commission free deadline for everybody.
We have extended the commission-free transition period for legacy ETFs until January 19, 2018.

All new funds are available to trade commission-free today.

After January 19, 2018, the 84 legacy funds will still be available at TD Ameritrade at the standard online commission rate. The remaining 16 funds will continue to be a part of the enhanced ETF Market Center.

All other previously communicated changes remain in place. Enrollment and short-term redemption fees will be eliminated effective November 20, 2017. Selling legacy ETFs prior to November 20,2017 may incur a short-term redemption fee.
I haven't actually got any notices on this so far. Is this for individual investors too ?

User avatar
birdog
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:35 pm

Re: Fellow TDA bogleheads [TDA dropping Vanguard ETFs from commission-free list]

Post by birdog » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:04 pm

SlowMovingInvestor wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:01 pm
JustinR wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:08 pm
Just got an email that Jan 19 is the new commission free deadline for everybody.
We have extended the commission-free transition period for legacy ETFs until January 19, 2018.

All new funds are available to trade commission-free today.

After January 19, 2018, the 84 legacy funds will still be available at TD Ameritrade at the standard online commission rate. The remaining 16 funds will continue to be a part of the enhanced ETF Market Center.

All other previously communicated changes remain in place. Enrollment and short-term redemption fees will be eliminated effective November 20, 2017. Selling legacy ETFs prior to November 20,2017 may incur a short-term redemption fee.
I haven't actually got any notices on this so far. Is this for individual investors too ?
Yes.
The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity -Bruce Lee

livesoft
Posts: 56507
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Fellow TDA bogleheads [TDA dropping Vanguard ETFs from commission-free list]

Post by livesoft » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:05 pm

I haven't gotten any notices, messages, e-mails, nor letters about this either.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

User avatar
birdog
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:35 pm

Re: Fellow TDA bogleheads [TDA dropping Vanguard ETFs from commission-free list]

Post by birdog » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:10 pm

My notice came via email yesterday.
The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity -Bruce Lee

boglefreak
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:08 pm

Re: Fellow TDA bogleheads [TDA dropping Vanguard ETFs from commission-free list]

Post by boglefreak » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:46 pm

If you could help with a couple of questions (I have VTI in Ameritrade 401K):

1. If I have it set up as DRIP, there shouldn't be a fee as Ameritrade does not charge any fees when reinvesting VTI (or any other ETF/stock) dividends?
2. No reason to sell VTI now or any time until ready to sell as it would just be a $6.95 fee to sell all VTI shares, and could then buy e.g. SPTM for no transaction fee? And/or just hold VTI and if want transaction free ETFs, from now on pick up SPTM and sell VTI whenever I would otherwise.

Thanks for the help.

Ragnoth
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:10 am

Re: Fellow TDA bogleheads [TDA dropping Vanguard ETFs from commission-free list]

Post by Ragnoth » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:19 pm

boglefreak wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:46 pm
If you could help with a couple of questions (I have VTI in Ameritrade 401K):

1. If I have it set up as DRIP, there shouldn't be a fee as Ameritrade does not charge any fees when reinvesting VTI (or any other ETF/stock) dividends?
2. No reason to sell VTI now or any time until ready to sell as it would just be a $6.95 fee to sell all VTI shares, and could then buy e.g. SPTM for no transaction fee? And/or just hold VTI and if want transaction free ETFs, from now on pick up SPTM and sell VTI whenever I would otherwise.

Thanks for the help.
1) The DRIP program is free, and there are no fees when dividends are reinvested into your existing ETF/stock holdings.

2) The only reason to sell VTI before the January 19, 2018 cutoff date is to avoid the $6.95 fee. If you sell after that date, you will be charged the one-time $6.95 fee. There will be no cost to purchase SPTM for the foreseeable future, regardless of what you do with your other holdings. The only restriction on the "commission-free ETFs" is that you can't sell them within 30 days of purchase, otherwise you get hit with a special short-term trading penalty (approximately $13.90, or the cost of two trades).

If I was keeping my taxable account at TDAmeritrade, I would do as you suggested by picking up SPTM commission-free going forward, and only selling my existing VTI shares when I'm good and ready.

In a retirement account there is no risk of creating a taxable event by selling appreciated shares. My plan for those accounts would be to ditch the VTI shares before January 19, 2018 and buy SPTM instead in order to save the $6.95.

airelleofmusic
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 8:54 am

Re: Fellow TDA bogleheads [TDA dropping Vanguard ETFs from commission-free list]

Post by airelleofmusic » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:00 am

SlowMovingInvestor wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:01 pm
JustinR wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:08 pm
Just got an email that Jan 19 is the new commission free deadline for everybody.
We have extended the commission-free transition period for legacy ETFs until January 19, 2018.

All new funds are available to trade commission-free today.

After January 19, 2018, the 84 legacy funds will still be available at TD Ameritrade at the standard online commission rate. The remaining 16 funds will continue to be a part of the enhanced ETF Market Center.

All other previously communicated changes remain in place. Enrollment and short-term redemption fees will be eliminated effective November 20, 2017. Selling legacy ETFs prior to November 20,2017 may incur a short-term redemption fee.
I haven't actually got any notices on this so far. Is this for individual investors too ?
I have not received this email, do you think I can enjoy this commission-free transition period (I currently hold VEU ETF) ?
Thanks a lot

User avatar
tarnation
Posts: 2330
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:36 am

Re: Fellow TDA bogleheads [TDA dropping Vanguard ETFs from commission-free list]

Post by tarnation » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:19 am

triceratop wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:12 pm
tarnation wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:06 pm
So looking through the new list, the Wisdom tree US multi factor (USMF) sounded interesting. Anybody else look at this one? Volume is low down.
You have to ignore products like this. Say you want to put $2500 into USMF on a given day, which is pretty small. That is more than 50% of the average daily shares volume. Not practical at all. Also, if you want something more concrete -- look at the spreads tomorrow when the market is open; I bet transaction costs will be high.
spread isn't THAT bad (8 cent) and looks like a 1,000 shares on both sides.
Image

Ragnoth
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:10 am

Re: Fellow TDA bogleheads [TDA dropping Vanguard ETFs from commission-free list]

Post by Ragnoth » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:10 am

airelleofmusic wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:00 am
I have not received this email, do you think I can enjoy this commission-free transition period (I currently hold VEU ETF) ?
Thanks a lot
You *should* be fine. I received the first and second notices at the same email address. That said, TDAmeritrade customer service could give you a firm answer if you don't want to risk the $6.95.

LFKB
Posts: 430
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:06 pm

Re: Fellow TDA bogleheads

Post by LFKB » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:14 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:47 pm
I have heard nothing of this and actually just bought some more VTI yesterday in my TDA account (a very small amount). If they drop VTI (the only thing I buy there) as free, I'll wait for all my investments to become long term, sell all but one share and put all the money in Schwab. TDA never calls me but it's a small account for me.
You should be able to just move the shares over without selling them. You can transfer custodian without selling.

AntsOnTheMarch
Posts: 313
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 5:47 pm

Re: Fellow TDA bogleheads [TDA dropping Vanguard ETFs from commission-free list]

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:28 pm

SPSM (SPDR Portfolio Small Cap ETF) is the recommended matching fund for anyone getting out of VB (VANGUARD INDEX FDS VANGUARD SMA) at TDA, correct?

Is it normal that they move in different directions on any given trading day?

https://finance.yahoo.com/quotes/vb,SPSM/view/v1

wxturtle
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:01 am

Re: Fellow TDA bogleheads [TDA dropping Vanguard ETFs from commission-free list]

Post by wxturtle » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:34 pm

AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:28 pm
SPSM (SPDR Portfolio Small Cap ETF) is the recommended matching fund for anyone getting out of VB (VANGUARD INDEX FDS VANGUARD SMA) at TDA, correct?

Is it normal that they move in different directions on any given trading day?

https://finance.yahoo.com/quotes/vb,SPSM/view/v1
120-day correlation between VB and SPSM = 0.96

120-day correlation between SCHA and VB = 0.99

120-day correlation between SCHA and SPSM = 0.98

SCHA is Schwab's small-cap ETF. So depends on how comfortable you are with those numbers. NOTE: VB tracks a slightly different index than SCHA/SPSM (latter track Russell 2000 -- corresponding VG ETF is VTWO)

(from https://www.etfscreen.com/correlation.php)

AntsOnTheMarch
Posts: 313
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 5:47 pm

Re: Fellow TDA bogleheads [TDA dropping Vanguard ETFs from commission-free list]

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:31 pm

wxturtle wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:34 pm
AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:28 pm
SPSM (SPDR Portfolio Small Cap ETF) is the recommended matching fund for anyone getting out of VB (VANGUARD INDEX FDS VANGUARD SMA) at TDA, correct?

Is it normal that they move in different directions on any given trading day?

https://finance.yahoo.com/quotes/vb,SPSM/view/v1
120-day correlation between VB and SPSM = 0.96

120-day correlation between SCHA and VB = 0.99

120-day correlation between SCHA and SPSM = 0.98

SCHA is Schwab's small-cap ETF. So depends on how comfortable you are with those numbers. NOTE: VB tracks a slightly different index than SCHA/SPSM (latter track Russell 2000 -- corresponding VG ETF is VTWO)

(from https://www.etfscreen.com/correlation.php)
Thanks. I have a small amount in an HSA at TDA so I’m not concerned. I was just curious.

Prov227
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:13 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Fellow TDA bogleheads [TDA dropping Vanguard ETFs from commission-free list]

Post by Prov227 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:43 am

airelleofmusic wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:00 am
SlowMovingInvestor wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:01 pm
JustinR wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:08 pm
Just got an email that Jan 19 is the new commission free deadline for everybody.
We have extended the commission-free transition period for legacy ETFs until January 19, 2018.

All new funds are available to trade commission-free today.

After January 19, 2018, the 84 legacy funds will still be available at TD Ameritrade at the standard online commission rate. The remaining 16 funds will continue to be a part of the enhanced ETF Market Center.

All other previously communicated changes remain in place. Enrollment and short-term redemption fees will be eliminated effective November 20, 2017. Selling legacy ETFs prior to November 20,2017 may incur a short-term redemption fee.
I haven't actually got any notices on this so far. Is this for individual investors too ?
I have not received this email, do you think I can enjoy this commission-free transition period (I currently hold VEU ETF) ?
Thanks a lot
No email about the deadline getting pushed back for me yet, either. I did receive the original "Enhancements..." email back on 10/17. Could receipt of this latest email be correlated to the those that filed complaints with TDA about the situation? Can anyone confirm receiving the email who did not lodge a complaint with TDA?
"...and the borrower is slave to the lender." -Proverbs 22:7

Ragnoth
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:10 am

Re: Fellow TDA bogleheads [TDA dropping Vanguard ETFs from commission-free list]

Post by Ragnoth » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:17 am

Prov227 wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:43 am
No email about the deadline getting pushed back for me yet, either. I did receive the original "Enhancements..." email back on 10/17. Could receipt of this latest email be correlated to the those that filed complaints with TDA about the situation? Can anyone confirm receiving the email who did not lodge a complaint with TDA?
That's a very good question, and I don't know the answer.

I received the email, but I made a formal complaint through their internal message service. I think this further suggests that people should call up and check with customer service before assuming that they automatically get the extension.

Chuffly
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:27 am

Re: Fellow TDA bogleheads [TDA dropping Vanguard ETFs from commission-free list]

Post by Chuffly » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:21 am

Prov227 wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:43 am
airelleofmusic wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:00 am
SlowMovingInvestor wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:01 pm
JustinR wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:08 pm
Just got an email that Jan 19 is the new commission free deadline for everybody.
We have extended the commission-free transition period for legacy ETFs until January 19, 2018.

All new funds are available to trade commission-free today.

After January 19, 2018, the 84 legacy funds will still be available at TD Ameritrade at the standard online commission rate. The remaining 16 funds will continue to be a part of the enhanced ETF Market Center.

All other previously communicated changes remain in place. Enrollment and short-term redemption fees will be eliminated effective November 20, 2017. Selling legacy ETFs prior to November 20,2017 may incur a short-term redemption fee.
I haven't actually got any notices on this so far. Is this for individual investors too ?
I have not received this email, do you think I can enjoy this commission-free transition period (I currently hold VEU ETF) ?
Thanks a lot
No email about the deadline getting pushed back for me yet, either. I did receive the original "Enhancements..." email back on 10/17. Could receipt of this latest email be correlated to the those that filed complaints with TDA about the situation? Can anyone confirm receiving the email who did not lodge a complaint with TDA?
I received the email despite lodging no formal complaint (although I did transfer 3 of my 5 accounts to Merrill Edge, fwiw)

SlowMovingInvestor
Posts: 213
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:27 am

Re: Fellow TDA bogleheads [TDA dropping Vanguard ETFs from commission-free list]

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:33 am

I sent a secure message to them, and heard back specifically that the date was still Nov 21st. I have < 500K with them, if that matters.

I had actually lodged a formal complaint earlier, but it seems that is to no avail.

AntsOnTheMarch
Posts: 313
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 5:47 pm

Re: Fellow TDA bogleheads [TDA dropping Vanguard ETFs from commission-free list]

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:58 am

I received the email. I have small hsa account with TDA. I did not complain.

SlowMovingInvestor
Posts: 213
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:27 am

Re: Fellow TDA bogleheads [TDA dropping Vanguard ETFs from commission-free list]

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:08 am

AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:58 am
I received the email. I have small hsa account with TDA. I did not complain.
I don't know much about HSAs are held at TDA. Are they held through a third party provider such as a bank or a benefits administrator ? If so, could they be considered 'institutional' and hence they get the extension ?

JustinR
Posts: 406
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:43 pm

Re: Fellow TDA bogleheads [TDA dropping Vanguard ETFs from commission-free list]

Post by JustinR » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:18 am

Prov227 wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:43 am
airelleofmusic wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:00 am
SlowMovingInvestor wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:01 pm
JustinR wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:08 pm
Just got an email that Jan 19 is the new commission free deadline for everybody.
We have extended the commission-free transition period for legacy ETFs until January 19, 2018.

All new funds are available to trade commission-free today.

After January 19, 2018, the 84 legacy funds will still be available at TD Ameritrade at the standard online commission rate. The remaining 16 funds will continue to be a part of the enhanced ETF Market Center.

All other previously communicated changes remain in place. Enrollment and short-term redemption fees will be eliminated effective November 20, 2017. Selling legacy ETFs prior to November 20,2017 may incur a short-term redemption fee.
I haven't actually got any notices on this so far. Is this for individual investors too ?
I have not received this email, do you think I can enjoy this commission-free transition period (I currently hold VEU ETF) ?
Thanks a lot
No email about the deadline getting pushed back for me yet, either. I did receive the original "Enhancements..." email back on 10/17. Could receipt of this latest email be correlated to the those that filed complaints with TDA about the situation? Can anyone confirm receiving the email who did not lodge a complaint with TDA?
I did not complain or contact TDA at all about this, and I got the email.

The email is titled "Commission-free transition period for legacy ETFs extended until Jan 19, 2018" dated Oct 31 at 1pm. Check your spam folder?

If you didn't get it, wouldn't hurt to contact TDA support about it.

AntsOnTheMarch
Posts: 313
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 5:47 pm

Re: Fellow TDA bogleheads [TDA dropping Vanguard ETFs from commission-free list]

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:44 am

SlowMovingInvestor wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:08 am
AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:58 am
I received the email. I have small hsa account with TDA. I did not complain.
I don't know much about HSAs are held at TDA. Are they held through a third party provider such as a bank or a benefits administrator ? If so, could they be considered 'institutional' and hence they get the extension ?
Could very well be correct. I have no idea. My account there is linked to hsa bank.

overthought
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:44 am

Re: Fellow TDA bogleheads

Post by overthought » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:30 am

LFKB wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:14 am
Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:47 pm
I have heard nothing of this and actually just bought some more VTI yesterday in my TDA account (a very small amount). If they drop VTI (the only thing I buy there) as free, I'll wait for all my investments to become long term, sell all but one share and put all the money in Schwab. TDA never calls me but it's a small account for me.
You should be able to just move the shares over without selling them. You can transfer custodian without selling.
TDA's account closure fee is $75, almost 11 trades. So either make sure the receiving custodian is willing to cover the fee, or that you anticipate making more than 11 trades in the near-ish future.

I don't like most of the new free ETFs, but I don't trade very often so I feel like I can afford to shop around a bit, wait for good transfer bonuses, etc.

deltaneutral83
Posts: 416
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:25 pm

Re: Fellow TDA bogleheads

Post by deltaneutral83 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:12 am

overthought wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:30 am

TDA's account closure fee is $75, almost 11 trades. So either make sure the receiving custodian is willing to cover the fee, or that you anticipate making more than 11 trades in the near-ish future.

I don't like most of the new free ETFs, but I don't trade very often so I feel like I can afford to shop around a bit, wait for good transfer bonuses, etc.
Apex clients are free account closures. I also got the ETF commission free email extension until Jan, in my HSA. Did NOT get the email in my Roth or taxable.

SlowMovingInvestor
Posts: 213
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:27 am

Re: Fellow TDA bogleheads

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:39 am

deltaneutral83 wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:12 am
I also got the ETF commission free email extension until Jan, in my HSA. Did NOT get the email in my Roth or taxable.
That would support the theory that HSAs are getting a break because they're considered 'instituional', but individual investors are not.

User avatar
tarnation
Posts: 2330
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:36 am

Re: Fellow TDA bogleheads [TDA dropping Vanguard ETFs from commission-free list]

Post by tarnation » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:00 am

AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:44 am
SlowMovingInvestor wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:08 am
AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:58 am
I received the email. I have small hsa account with TDA. I did not complain.
I don't know much about HSAs are held at TDA. Are they held through a third party provider such as a bank or a benefits administrator ? If so, could they be considered 'institutional' and hence they get the extension ?
Could very well be correct. I have no idea. My account there is linked to hsa bank.
Could be. I have access through my 401(k) and have seen "institutional" attached to my account before. I received the notification of extension, but did not complain.
Image

Hukedonfonix4me
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:00 pm

Re: Fellow TDA bogleheads [TDA dropping Vanguard ETFs from commission-free list]

Post by Hukedonfonix4me » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:44 pm

I hold my HSA through TDA and received an extension letter (effective: January 19th, 2018) in my email October 31st @3pm CST. I did not complain either.
"While some mutual fund founders chose to make billions, he chose to make a difference." | -The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing

overthought
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:44 am

Re: Fellow TDA bogleheads [TDA dropping Vanguard ETFs from commission-free list]

Post by overthought » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:25 pm

So here's a plot twist: I apparently now have a new commission schedule with TDA that charges $4.95 per equity trade and $17.99 per mutual fund order (instead of the usual $6.95/$49.99 fees). I have several accounts but am not Apex yet, this is apparently something separate. I couldn't find anything on Google so I'm posting here.

Back story:

I received a call from a TDA new accounts specialist who noticed I had opened several new accounts. In the course of the conversation he asked me if I had any general comments or concerns. I mentioned my disappointment in the new no-fee ETF list and that, where before I had no thoughts of looking elsewhere, I now had to take more seriously competitors that offer free trades based on account value, who have lower commissions, or have better no-fee ETF selection.

In addition to the obligatory commiserations, he offered to convert all my accounts this new fee schedule (and my wife's, after she hopped on the phone to give her permission). The rep said he would try, but wasn't sure if he could attach the new fee schedule to my HSA account because it's an institutional trust account. Apparently the request has to be reviewed by some other department and will take a couple days to take effect. Will post back my findings in a couple days.

Finally, he said to please send feedback via the web site, that the phone reps have basically zero voice with decision-makers but they do pay (at least some) attention to submitted feedback.

galectin
Posts: 186
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:57 pm

Re: Fellow TDA bogleheads

Post by galectin » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:05 pm

SlowMovingInvestor wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:39 am
deltaneutral83 wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:12 am
I also got the ETF commission free email extension until Jan, in my HSA. Did NOT get the email in my Roth or taxable.
That would support the theory that HSAs are getting a break because they're considered 'instituional', but individual investors are not.
I just talked to my local TDA acct. rep. this morning and he told me that the ETF extension was until Jan 19. The DW and I have a brokerage acct., two tax-deferred IRAs and two Roths, but no HSA. Like others, I have not gotten an email and the ETF website just says Nov 20. I will send an email to the site to see if this extension is for all accts. or just for "institutional" accts. that HSAs are considered, as suggested by SlowMovingInvestor (Good thinking, SMI).

LFKB
Posts: 430
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:06 pm

Re: Fellow TDA bogleheads

Post by LFKB » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:56 pm

overthought wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:30 am
LFKB wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:14 am
Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:47 pm
I have heard nothing of this and actually just bought some more VTI yesterday in my TDA account (a very small amount). If they drop VTI (the only thing I buy there) as free, I'll wait for all my investments to become long term, sell all but one share and put all the money in Schwab. TDA never calls me but it's a small account for me.
You should be able to just move the shares over without selling them. You can transfer custodian without selling.
TDA's account closure fee is $75, almost 11 trades. So either make sure the receiving custodian is willing to cover the fee, or that you anticipate making more than 11 trades in the near-ish future.

I don't like most of the new free ETFs, but I don't trade very often so I feel like I can afford to shop around a bit, wait for good transfer bonuses, etc.
He is talking about selling all his shares and re-buying them, so his focus should be on avoiding paying capital gains and transferring them to a new custodian, and not so much on the small fee.

overthought
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:44 am

Re: Fellow TDA bogleheads [TDA dropping Vanguard ETFs from commission-free list]

Post by overthought » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:01 am

overthought wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:25 pm
So here's a plot twist: I apparently now have a new commission schedule with TDA that charges $4.95 per equity trade and $17.99 per mutual fund order (instead of the usual $6.95/$49.99 fees).
...
Apparently the request has to be reviewed by some other department and will take a couple days to take effect. Will post back my findings in a couple days.
I received an account message this morning:
11/07/2017
Thank you for your request to review your commission rates. We're glad to let you know that we've applied the new commission schedule listed below to your account. Unless you were notified otherwise, the new rate will become effective in your account by 7 a.m. ET tomorrow.
The message included a table of rates that boils down to $4.95 per equity trade (plus $0.65 per option) and $17.99 for no-load mutual fund trades.

So it would appear to have worked on at least that one account. Maybe I'll get similar messages on my other accounts as the day unfolds.

airelleofmusic
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 8:54 am

Re: Fellow TDA bogleheads [TDA dropping Vanguard ETFs from commission-free list]

Post by airelleofmusic » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:57 pm

Regarding the extension of the period for the previous commission-free list I received the below message from a TD Ameritrade agent:

"Hello again! Your friend must have an account with our Institutional segment. Those accounts are managed by professional investment advisors, who maintain large portfolios of client accounts. Institutional has decided to extend the timeline for advisors to January 19, 2018 because the process of adjusting positions in model portfolios (often numbering in the hundreds or thousands) is highly labor intensive. This extension will allow advisors more time to review funds and make changes as necessary.

Your account is in the retail segment and the extension is not available for retail accounts.

Thank you,"

So sad other ETFs don't satisfy me and are not liquid enough yet...

galectin
Posts: 186
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:57 pm

Re: Fellow TDA bogleheads [TDA dropping Vanguard ETFs from commission-free list]

Post by galectin » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:50 pm

airelleofmusic wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:57 pm
Regarding the extension of the period for the previous commission-free list I received the below message from a TD Ameritrade agent:

"Hello again! Your friend must have an account with our Institutional segment. Those accounts are managed by professional investment advisors, who maintain large portfolios of client accounts. Institutional has decided to extend the timeline for advisors to January 19, 2018 because the process of adjusting positions in model portfolios (often numbering in the hundreds or thousands) is highly labor intensive. This extension will allow advisors more time to review funds and make changes as necessary.

Your account is in the retail segment and the extension is not available for retail accounts.
Yes. I sat down today at our local TDA office with a rep. and he confirmed that only institutional accounts have the extension. He also had been confused because his IRA has the extension, but it is in the institutional category because he is his own advisor. As SlowMovingInvestor suggested yesterday, HSA accounts are in the institutional category.

So, if you didn't get an email telling you that it was extended to Jan 19, your deadline is Nov 20. The emails from TDA to you are the best thing to go by.

The TDA rep gave me four free trades for a year in each account (without me even asking), so if you think that you need more time to make any changes you might want to ask for some free trades.

drk
Posts: 93
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:33 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Fellow TDA bogleheads [TDA dropping Vanguard ETFs from commission-free list]

Post by drk » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:01 am

galectin wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:50 pm
airelleofmusic wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:57 pm
Regarding the extension of the period for the previous commission-free list I received the below message from a TD Ameritrade agent:

"Hello again! Your friend must have an account with our Institutional segment. Those accounts are managed by professional investment advisors, who maintain large portfolios of client accounts. Institutional has decided to extend the timeline for advisors to January 19, 2018 because the process of adjusting positions in model portfolios (often numbering in the hundreds or thousands) is highly labor intensive. This extension will allow advisors more time to review funds and make changes as necessary.

Your account is in the retail segment and the extension is not available for retail accounts.
Yes. I sat down today at our local TDA office with a rep. and he confirmed that only institutional accounts have the extension. He also had been confused because his IRA has the extension, but it is in the institutional category because he is his own advisor. As SlowMovingInvestor suggested yesterday, HSA accounts are in the institutional category.

So, if you didn't get an email telling you that it was extended to Jan 19, your deadline is Nov 20. The emails from TDA to you are the best thing to go by.

The TDA rep gave me four free trades for a year in each account (without me even asking), so if you think that you need more time to make any changes you might want to ask for some free trades.
Odd. I sent a message on TDA's website and was told that "all clients participating the Commission Free ETF program are covered by the extended deadline."

avalpert
Posts: 6193
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:58 pm

Re: Fellow TDA bogleheads [TDA dropping Vanguard ETFs from commission-free list]

Post by avalpert » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:49 pm

drk wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:01 am
galectin wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:50 pm
airelleofmusic wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:57 pm
Regarding the extension of the period for the previous commission-free list I received the below message from a TD Ameritrade agent:

"Hello again! Your friend must have an account with our Institutional segment. Those accounts are managed by professional investment advisors, who maintain large portfolios of client accounts. Institutional has decided to extend the timeline for advisors to January 19, 2018 because the process of adjusting positions in model portfolios (often numbering in the hundreds or thousands) is highly labor intensive. This extension will allow advisors more time to review funds and make changes as necessary.

Your account is in the retail segment and the extension is not available for retail accounts.
Yes. I sat down today at our local TDA office with a rep. and he confirmed that only institutional accounts have the extension. He also had been confused because his IRA has the extension, but it is in the institutional category because he is his own advisor. As SlowMovingInvestor suggested yesterday, HSA accounts are in the institutional category.

So, if you didn't get an email telling you that it was extended to Jan 19, your deadline is Nov 20. The emails from TDA to you are the best thing to go by.

The TDA rep gave me four free trades for a year in each account (without me even asking), so if you think that you need more time to make any changes you might want to ask for some free trades.
Odd. I sent a message on TDA's website and was told that "all clients participating the Commission Free ETF program are covered by the extended deadline."
This is the response I got from my message through the secure message center attached to my account:
Thank you for writing in. I'm happy to assist any way possible.

My apologies that e-mail volumes we've had are just now allowing for a response to your inquiry.

The extension that you are referencing has to do with Institutional clients. Your account with us is a Retail relationship so it would be unaffected by the January date. My apologies for the confusion on this.

If you have further questions or concerns, please respond to this message or call us directly at 800-669-3900. We appreciate your business.

SlowMovingInvestor
Posts: 213
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:27 am

Re: Fellow TDA bogleheads [TDA dropping Vanguard ETFs from commission-free list]

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:57 pm

I have free trades in one newly opened TDAM account (lots), but none in another account (which is an IRA). I have a CD that doesn't come due for another 2 weeks in the account without free trades, so I wouldn't be able to use it to purchase some of the commission free ETFs that are being removed from the program.

Is there any point in asking TDAM if they'll transfer some of the free trades from the account with trades to the IRA account ? I probably don't need more than 5-10 trades max.

User avatar
Earl Lemongrab
Posts: 2886
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:14 am

Re: Fellow TDA bogleheads [TDA dropping Vanguard ETFs from commission-free list]

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:12 pm

I doubt that they would transfer any, but they might give you some. It never hurts to ask.
This week's fortune cookie: "You will do well to expand your horizons." Ow. Passive-aggressive and vaguely ominous.

livesoft
Posts: 56507
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Fellow TDA bogleheads [TDA dropping Vanguard ETFs from commission-free list]

Post by livesoft » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:15 pm

I have received zero e-mails, messages, and letters from TDAmeritrade about all this. I just looked at the no-commission list on the TDAmeritrade web site and saw no obvious notice on any changes. Is it on their web site anywhere?
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

User avatar
Earl Lemongrab
Posts: 2886
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:14 am

Re: Fellow TDA bogleheads [TDA dropping Vanguard ETFs from commission-free list]

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:20 pm

livesoft wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:15 pm
I have received zero e-mails, messages, and letters from TDAmeritrade about all this. I just looked at the no-commission list on the TDAmeritrade web site and saw no obvious notice on any changes. Is it on their web site anywhere?
On this page:

https://research.tdameritrade.com/grid/ ... onfree.asp

There is a notice about the original change. Is that what you mean?
This week's fortune cookie: "You will do well to expand your horizons." Ow. Passive-aggressive and vaguely ominous.

livesoft
Posts: 56507
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Fellow TDA bogleheads [TDA dropping Vanguard ETFs from commission-free list]

Post by livesoft » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:27 pm

Thanks. I guess I don't read under normal circumstances the fine print of small black letters on a gray background.

OTOH, when I click on "Research & Ideas" then "Commission-Free ETFs", I don't see that fine print at all in my accounts.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

drk
Posts: 93
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:33 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Fellow TDA bogleheads [TDA dropping Vanguard ETFs from commission-free list]

Post by drk » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:47 am

avalpert wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:49 pm
drk wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:01 am
galectin wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:50 pm
airelleofmusic wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:57 pm
Regarding the extension of the period for the previous commission-free list I received the below message from a TD Ameritrade agent:

"Hello again! Your friend must have an account with our Institutional segment. Those accounts are managed by professional investment advisors, who maintain large portfolios of client accounts. Institutional has decided to extend the timeline for advisors to January 19, 2018 because the process of adjusting positions in model portfolios (often numbering in the hundreds or thousands) is highly labor intensive. This extension will allow advisors more time to review funds and make changes as necessary.

Your account is in the retail segment and the extension is not available for retail accounts.
Yes. I sat down today at our local TDA office with a rep. and he confirmed that only institutional accounts have the extension. He also had been confused because his IRA has the extension, but it is in the institutional category because he is his own advisor. As SlowMovingInvestor suggested yesterday, HSA accounts are in the institutional category.

So, if you didn't get an email telling you that it was extended to Jan 19, your deadline is Nov 20. The emails from TDA to you are the best thing to go by.

The TDA rep gave me four free trades for a year in each account (without me even asking), so if you think that you need more time to make any changes you might want to ask for some free trades.
Odd. I sent a message on TDA's website and was told that "all clients participating the Commission Free ETF program are covered by the extended deadline."
This is the response I got from my message through the secure message center attached to my account:
Thank you for writing in. I'm happy to assist any way possible.

My apologies that e-mail volumes we've had are just now allowing for a response to your inquiry.

The extension that you are referencing has to do with Institutional clients. Your account with us is a Retail relationship so it would be unaffected by the January date. My apologies for the confusion on this.

If you have further questions or concerns, please respond to this message or call us directly at 800-669-3900. We appreciate your business.
I've received no email or other communications from TDA about this, so my SMs with them are all I have to go off of. On the one hand, wow, great messaging. On the other, I have to be thankful for the documentation when they try to charge me for trades in two months.

Post Reply