Win10 File History on SD card?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
kayanco

Win10 File History on SD card?

Post by kayanco » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:56 pm

Hi,

Do any of you use the File History feature of Windows 10, and have it configured to use an SD card on a laptop?
If so, what size card have you found to be enough?

On Windows 7, I really liked that it used "Volume Shadow Copy" to keep previous versions of file and folders. You could set it to use the local disk itself, so it didn't require any external storage (like an SD card). And would just run seamlessly in the background. I could even empty the recycle bin, and if a few weeks later I wanted back a file/folder, I could restore it from "Previous Versions". I wasn't looking for protection against disk failure, so this worked wonderfully.

Until Windows 10.

Which doesn't use "Volume Shadow Copy" anymore. The service is still there, but if I enable it manually (even over weeks) it won't create those Previous Version entries. Windows 10 does have the "File History" feature (which does the same thing), except it requires external storage.

So I'm thinking the best option now would be to have a micro SD card in there. But I'm not sure what size would be decent. Looking to spend less than $100.

Thanks for any input.
Last edited by kayanco on Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mel Lindauer

Re: Win10 File History on SD card?

Post by Mel Lindauer » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:27 pm

kayanco wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:56 pm
Hi,

Do any of you use the File History feature of Windows 10, and have it configured to use an SD card?

On Windows 7, I really liked that it used "Volume Shadow Copy" to keep previous versions of file and folders. You could set it to use the local disk itself, so it didn't require any external storage (like an SD card). And would just run seamlessly in the background. I could even empty the recycle bin, and if a few weeks later I wanted back a file/folder, I could restore it from "Previous Versions". I wasn't looking for protection against disk failure, so this worked wonderfully.

Until Windows 10.

Which doesn't use "Volume Shadow Copy" anymore. The service is still there, but if I enable it manually (even over weeks) it won't create those Previous Version entries. Windows 10 does have the "File History" feature (which does the same thing), except it requires external storage.

So I'm thinking the best option now would be to have a micro SD card in there. But I'm not sure what size would be decent. Looking to spend less than $100.

Thanks for any input.
Depending on your work habits, you might be able to get by with a 128gb flash drive. And if that's not large enough, go with a 256gb flash drive. Both should be well under $100. Also, 1Tb (and even some 2Tb) external hard drives can be had for under $100, too.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:36 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:27 pm
kayanco wrote:
Hi,

Do any of you use the File History feature of Windows 10, and have it configured to use an SD card?

Until Windows 10.

Thanks for any input.
Depending on your work habits, you might be able to get by with a 128gb flash drive. And if that's not large enough, go with a 256gb flash drive. Both should be well under $100. Also, 1Tb (and even some 2Tb) external hard drives can be had for under $100, too.
Thanks Mel.

While those 2 options can work, I'm not considering a flash drive or an external HDD because I'm looking for a seamless, set it and forge it solution. I move around a lot with my laptop so can't have it be connected to an external HDD or flash drive all time.

That's why I decided on a SD cards, I can just insert it and it won't even be visible.

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:49 pm

kayanco wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:36 pm
Mel Lindauer wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:27 pm
kayanco wrote:
Hi,

Until Windows 10.

Thanks for any input.
Thanks Mel.

While those 2 options can work, I'm not considering a flash drive or an external HDD because I'm looking for a seamless, set it and forge it solution. I move around a lot with my laptop so can't have it be connected to an external HDD or flash drive all time.

That's why I decided on a SD cards, I can just insert it and it won't even be visible.
I guess a lot depends on which computer you have. My SD card sticks out about half way on my Yoga 900 (but not nearly as far as my flash drive), but I do know that on some computers, the SD barely sticks out, so you may not need to take them out when you travel.

When I travel, I take both the flash drive and the SD card out and reinsert them when I use the computer. So for me, either would work fine. I chose the flash drive.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi