Another Smart Phone Thread, Low/Mid priced phones and carriers

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
pochax

Re: Another Smart Phone Thread, Low/Mid priced phones and carriers

Post by pochax » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:52 am

travellight wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:44 am
So, comparing the Moto G5plus available for $170-224 versus the Huawei mate 9 at $399, is the Huawei that much better for almost twice the price?

Moto G5+ seems to be lacking in camera function in low light from my initial research and a great camera is important to me. I wonder if any current Moto owners can comment.
it really depends on what you mean by a "great" camera. neither the G5plus nor the Mate 9 will give you the same quality photos as the recent flagships (iphone X/8 plus, samsung S8/Note 8, or Google Pixel 2/2 XL). however, Huawei makes nice cameras and they are good enough for many. my wife owns a Huawei Honor 8 (going for <$300 at many places right now) and it has a dual camera system which works well. please note the Mate 9 is as big as a phablet so if size of the phone matters to you, hold one in your hands before spending the cash. Also, the LG G6 is going for $399 on Amazon via their Prime phones and it has a pretty nice camera with a wide-angle lense. again, not quite the caliber of the most recent flagships but good enough for me.

travellight

Post by travellight » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:50 pm

pochax wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:52 am
travellight wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:44 am
So, comparing the Moto G5plus available for $170-224 versus the Huawei mate 9 at $399, is the Huawei that much better for almost twice the price?

Moto G5+ seems to be lacking in camera function in low light from my initial research and a great camera is important to me. I wonder if any current Moto owners can comment.
it really depends on what you mean by a "great" camera. neither the G5plus nor the Mate 9 will give you the same quality photos as the recent flagships (iphone X/8 plus, samsung S8/Note 8, or Google Pixel 2/2 XL). however, Huawei makes nice cameras and they are good enough for many. my wife owns a Huawei Honor 8 (going for <$300 at many places right now) and it has a dual camera system which works well. please note the Mate 9 is as big as a phablet so if size of the phone matters to you, hold one in your hands before spending the cash. Also, the LG G6 is going for $399 on Amazon via their Prime phones and it has a pretty nice camera with a wide-angle lense. again, not quite the caliber of the most recent flagships but good enough for me.
Thanks! I will check the size of the Huawei as my hands are tiny!

SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:40 pm

forrest1 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:47 pm
Try Google Fi with a Google Nexus 5x phone (by LG). Great phone, great service, and it works in 135+ countries or so. Pay as you go: my bill is usually am under $30/ month; of course I'm not streaming videos all day.

I was with Verizon for over 25 years (it was Airtouch back then), and have had many phones, Samsung & Apple mostly, but I like the Nexus phones best: no bloatware. The 5x is not flashy (a plus when traveling) and works great.
Buyer beware. I posted last year about my dislike for both Google Fi and my new Nexus 5x. Fast forward a year and a half and the phone died on me. Googling reveals it's a known and common issue. Of course, the phone was out of warranty. Thankfully, I purchased it using my AmEx and was able to make a claim under their extended warranty.

-Steph

ptk446318

Post by ptk446318 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:16 pm

NorCalDad wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:23 am
I just got a certified iPhone SE (32 GB) at Consumer Cellular for $110 plus tax. No contract necessary, as far as I know. And Consumer Cellular just dropped their data prices, so our bill last month for two phones and 3 GB of data was $55 including fees. We used to pay $120/month at AT&T through about 2015 until I found MVNOs.
Thank you for the information. I looked into Consumer Cellular and was impressed with their lower pricing but was concerned that I might not be able to switch since I was with Verizon (CDMA network) and CC operates on the AT&T GSM network. However, the customer service rep at Target mentioned that any unlocked iPhone 6 and later iPhone models can operate on either network so no problem. I brought a copy of my Verizon bill, my Verizon PIN and CC plan preferences to Target and in about 5 minutes had the same unlimited talk, unlimited text and 1GB data that I had with Verizon but for about half the price. In addition to reimbursing me for the cost of the $10 CC SIM card, I found out that I qualified for a $20 invoice credit with Consumer Cellular since I activated a new line during their holiday promotion which runs 11/15 - 12/31/17. CC also offers free voicemail, usage alerts, caller ID, call waiting, call forwarding, conference calling and NO CONTRACTS. AARP members save an additional 5%. CC seems to market itself as a cellular service for seniors but anyone 18 years or older can enroll. I did quite a bit of research into Consumer Cellular before I switched and found out that Consumer Reports ranks CC as the top rated carrier in many cities around the US (New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Seattle, etc.). Thanks again for the information.