Alibaba added to Emerging Market Index/VWO?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Oblivious

Alibaba added to Emerging Market Index/VWO?

Post by Oblivious » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:34 pm

Does anyone know when it was added? I noticed that it's now in the top 10, and I didn't think it had been in the index in the past. Anyone know what major stocks are still missing from it compared to EEM?

Month-end ten largest holdings
(17.4% of total net assets) as of 09/30/2017
1 Tencent Holdings Ltd.
2 Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. Ltd.
3 Naspers Ltd.
4 China Construction Bank Corp.
5 Industrial & Commercial Bank of China Ltd.
6 China Mobile Ltd.
7 Hon Hai Precision Industry Co. Ltd.
8 Alibaba Group Holding Ltd.
9 Ping An Insurance Group Co. of China Ltd.
10 Itau Unibanco Holding SA

Longtermgrowth

Re: Alibaba added to Emerging Market Index/VWO?

Post by Longtermgrowth » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:25 pm

When I posted in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=231017&p=3595433#p3595433
I happened to check holdings of VWO on Morningstar, and at that time BABA still had the newly added stock symbol next to it. I like to call that symbol the Morningstar splat, because it reminds me of a bug splat on a windshield :mrgreen:
So that was 10-30-17. I'm not sure how long they leave the new holding splat in place though, hah. I just checked now, and the splat is still there.

You're also not going to see South Korean stocks in VWO, since its index considers them Developed Markets, unlike EEM. Though if also holding Vanguard's Developed Markets Index, VEA, they are included there.

I also have to add, if EEM is the way you want to go because of the index differences, iShares IEMG should really be used in place of EEM (expense ratio, trading efficiencies, etc).

I would like to know why Vanguard waited so long to add BABA. Also, why am I still not seeing Baidu Inc ADR in VWO's holdings?