Thoughts about wearing a "uniform"/same thing everyday?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
User avatar
DaftInvestor
Posts: 3129
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: Thoughts about wearing a "uniform"/same thing everyday?

Post by DaftInvestor » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:05 am

I had a college professor that wore the same thing every day - literally. We could tell because the same chalk mark on his pants was there day after day.
When I see someone wear the same clothes I always think of him and distance myself from the person in case the odor is foul.

queso
Posts: 353
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:52 pm

Re: Thoughts about wearing a "uniform"/same thing everyday?

Post by queso » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:45 am

I work with a guy that does this (he manages a software development group). He has white button downs, a black belt and black slacks. Says he has 5-7 of each and dry cleans them every week. He does it for the same reasons you state - doesn't want to have to think about what to wear and maintains a professional appearance.

It works for him. He's much better dressed than I am on any given day.

User avatar
TomatoTomahto
Posts: 6799
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:48 pm

Re: Thoughts about wearing a "uniform"/same thing everyday?

Post by TomatoTomahto » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:51 am

DaftInvestor wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:05 am
I had a college professor that wore the same thing every day - literally. We could tell because the same chalk mark on his pants was there day after day.
When I see someone wear the same clothes I always think of him and distance myself from the person in case the odor is foul.
Pants aren't like shirts or underwear; they usually can be worn more than a day, unless the wearer is a sloppy eater or spends time around livestock.

User avatar
DaftInvestor
Posts: 3129
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: Thoughts about wearing a "uniform"/same thing everyday?

Post by DaftInvestor » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:03 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:51 am
DaftInvestor wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:05 am
I had a college professor that wore the same thing every day - literally. We could tell because the same chalk mark on his pants was there day after day.
When I see someone wear the same clothes I always think of him and distance myself from the person in case the odor is foul.
Pants aren't like shirts or underwear; they usually can be worn more than a day, unless the wearer is a sloppy eater or spends time around livestock.
After 3 or 4 weeks? In any case - the shirt was the same as well.
The point I was trying to make to the OP is that there are folks out there like me that will see him wearing the same clothes every day and not think they are new/different than what he wore yesterday and simply visualize him rolling out of bed and grabbing yesterdays clothes off the floor to head into work. How hard is it really to have 5 different color polo shirts versus 5 of the same color?
Ray Donovan (Premium TV Series of a "LA/Hollywood Fixer") always seems to wear a white dress shirt with dark colored suit - but this is likely due to the "power look" he is trying to portray (and the shirt is always a bright/brilliant white - clearly not one he is wearing day after day).

User avatar
TomatoTomahto
Posts: 6799
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:48 pm

Re: Thoughts about wearing a "uniform"/same thing everyday?

Post by TomatoTomahto » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:17 am

Ray Donovan doesn’t even wear the same watch twice in a row! I’ve seen scenes where he pulls out a folded shirt in his closet, probably sent that way from the dry cleaners if they succeeded in removing the blood stains.

I had to tell my kids that wearing a pair of jeans twice wasn’t a faux pas. Doing laundry themselves at college reinforced that lesson :D

After 3 or 4 weeks, the pants walk by themselves. We are in agreement.

If people think I wear the same clothes all the time, so be it. My trainer, who kids me about it, knows that my shirt doesn’t have yesterday’s sweat on it. I’m mostly bald, so it’s not that easy to tell if I’ve washed my hair or not. When I retired (became SAHD, really not the same, but whatever), one of my high five moments was realizing that I’d never wear a tie again, seldom wear a dress shirt (I will for graduation or wedding), and that anyone who didn’t like it could play dress up twice themselves; I wasn’t going to play.

boglegirl
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:41 pm

Re: Thoughts about wearing a "uniform"/same thing everyday?

Post by boglegirl » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:25 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:17 am
Ray Donovan doesn’t even wear the same watch twice in a row! I’ve seen scenes where he pulls out a folded shirt in his closet, probably sent that way from the dry cleaners if they succeeded in removing the blood stains.
...
I was also thinking of Ray Donovan when someone mentioned upthread about the new style of wearing a suit without a tie. I'm not crazy about the look, but Ray wears it pretty well. I'm not sure he's ever worn anything on the show except a black suit with a white, gray, or black collared shirt. * He's the ultimate uniform guy. I love his closet. :) (of course, he keeps the folded shirts in his car and desk drawer also)

*whoops, I just did a web search, and apparently he branches out into dark jeans and a navy sport coat occasionally. :)
Last edited by boglegirl on Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
DaftInvestor
Posts: 3129
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: Thoughts about wearing a "uniform"/same thing everyday?

Post by DaftInvestor » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:27 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:17 am
Ray Donovan doesn’t even wear the same watch twice in a row! I’ve seen scenes where he pulls out a folded shirt in his closet, probably sent that way from the dry cleaners if they succeeded in removing the blood stains.

I had to tell my kids that wearing a pair of jeans twice wasn’t a faux pas. Doing laundry themselves at college reinforced that lesson :D

After 3 or 4 weeks, the pants walk by themselves. We are in agreement.

If people think I wear the same clothes all the time, so be it. My trainer, who kids me about it, knows that my shirt doesn’t have yesterday’s sweat on it. I’m mostly bald, so it’s not that easy to tell if I’ve washed my hair or not. When I retired (became SAHD, really not the same, but whatever), one of my high five moments was realizing that I’d never wear a tie again, seldom wear a dress shirt (I will for graduation or wedding), and that anyone who didn’t like it could play dress up twice themselves; I wasn’t going to play.
LOL on the comments about your kids. We have a daughter who won't wear the same pair of jeans twice.

In my personal opinion there is a difference between retired, being a college professor, and being in the corporate world. If you are retired - I agree with you - who cares. If you are a college professor - I doubt anyone that matters will judge you on your clothing choices. If you still work in the corporate world (like the OP) then I believe it's still a different story. If you think that there aren't people judging you partially based upon appearance (whether those people realize it or not) you are fooling yourself.

Rondo
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:49 pm

Re: Thoughts about wearing a "uniform"/same thing everyday?

Post by Rondo » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:35 am

I have a funny story... my first IT job was as a computer operator. Tasks like loading 40lb cases of greenbar paper into printers, changing ribbons, decollating printed forms and mailers, etc. Needless to say, it was a pretty dirty job and I was able to dress the part. A new company rule comes down that says all IT people must wear shirt and tie. I tried to argue my point about ruining good clothes, getting disheveled and filthy, etc. It fell on deaf ears. So, I went out and found my uniform... gray corduroys, chunky black oxfords, white buttondown oxford shirt and the most godawful ugly multicolored striped tie (almost like a clown tie) that would never match anything. I wore the same clothes every day of the week. Only washed on the weekends. By the end of the week, my shirt was so filthy it was ridiculous. After a while, one of the execs questioned me about it and I explained my position and how ridiculous it was with my job to have this rule apply to me. They never changed the rules and I continued to wear the same clothes for about a year when I found another job as a software engineer where ironically I was able to come to work in shorts and flip-flops.

NotWhoYouThink
Posts: 1348
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:19 pm

Re: Thoughts about wearing a "uniform"/same thing everyday?

Post by NotWhoYouThink » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:51 am

In industry, there will be many people you deal with who never notice that you wear a uniform. There will be many more who notice, but either don't care or think it's a great idea. And there will be some who notice and think less of you for it. That's just the diversity of interest level and opinion that applies to much of what you do. If the decision makers about your career aren't in the last group, you'll be fine. If they are, you won't. Outsiders can't make that determination for you. But if I had it to do over again, I'd have worn something close to a uniform - black pants, similar looking shirts and jackets, a few pairs of identical shoes. In my career it would have made no difference whatever, and probably would have made a better impression to anyone who did care.

I have no sense of fashion and style, and won't notice if you do. You'd have to be a few standard deviations off the norm to get my attention with your attire. Some people notice and care about those things, and they won't be impressed with me no matter how hard I try. So neat and clean and unremarkable are about as far as I care to go with my wardrobe choices.

ResearchMed
Posts: 5351
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Thoughts about wearing a "uniform"/same thing everyday?

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:04 am

NotWhoYouThink wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:51 am
In industry, there will be many people you deal with who never notice that you wear a uniform. There will be many more who notice, but either don't care or think it's a great idea. And there will be some who notice and think less of you for it. That's just the diversity of interest level and opinion that applies to much of what you do. If the decision makers about your career aren't in the last group, you'll be fine. If they are, you won't. Outsiders can't make that determination for you. But if I had it to do over again, I'd have worn something close to a uniform - black pants, similar looking shirts and jackets, a few pairs of identical shoes. In my career it would have made no difference whatever, and probably would have made a better impression to anyone who did care.

I have no sense of fashion and style, and won't notice if you do. You'd have to be a few standard deviations off the norm to get my attention with your attire. Some people notice and care about those things, and they won't be impressed with me no matter how hard I try. So neat and clean and unremarkable are about as far as I care to go with my wardrobe choices.
If your clothing is so unremarkable, then how in the world could we ever figure out who you are? :D

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Rupert
Posts: 2670
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:01 pm

Re: Thouhgts about wearing a "uniform"/same thing everyday?

Post by Rupert » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:33 am

stemikger wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:12 am
mouses wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:45 am
stemikger wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:18 am
mouses wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:12 am
stemikger wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:56 am

For the record, I only own 5 or 6 of the same pant and the same with shirts. You don't need 15. This has taken a part of my life and simplified it. I work midnights and never liked wondering what I was going to wear, I'm not good at matching colors and all that comes with it. My uniform was a godsend and I am glad I did it so long ago.

For the record, once you find a nice pair that fits which I did, I now buy my uniform on Amazon and haven't shopped for clothes in years.
You need 15 if the manufacturer stops making the item. 15 lets you coast for a few years. Like, it is impossible to find natural waist jeans for women nowadays. Even the ones that claim to be ride several inches below the waist.
With all due respect, I think you are overthinking it. If they discontinue them, I'm sure you can find something similar on Amazon. I am a 53 year old male and I do need an expanded waist and Lee has exactly what I need, but many others make the same type of pants. Having said that, if you want to buy 15, go for it. 5 to 7 has worked for me and when they start looking worn, I replace them.
I'm not talking about an expanded waist. I'm talking about sitting at the natural waist, not lower. I have spent a good deal of time trying to find natural waist jeans sold currently, and they do not exist, despite false claims by the manufacturers.
I don't even know what they are, but good luck finding them. I guess if they are that hard to find, you might as well buy as many as you can. Did you try Amazon?
Natural waist pants = "mom jeans." Men used to wear them as well though. Typically the top of natural waist pants will be at or near the belly button, as opposed to at the top of the hip bones or lower. There's a hilarious Saturday Night Live skit about "mom jeans," probably available on YouTube. LLBean and Lands End still sell them (or as close as you're going to get to them anymore). They really accentuate the belly, which is why they've fallen out of fashion, I think.

NotWhoYouThink
Posts: 1348
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:19 pm

Re: Thoughts about wearing a "uniform"/same thing everyday?

Post by NotWhoYouThink » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:37 am

For women, Not Your Daughter's Jeans (NYDJ) sometimes hit at the waist.

User avatar
stemikger
Posts: 4560
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:02 am

Re: Thoughts about wearing a "uniform"/same thing everyday?

Post by stemikger » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:31 pm

Posted by Rupert
Natural waist pants = "mom jeans." Men used to wear them as well though. Typically the top of natural waist pants will be at or near the belly button, as opposed to at the top of the hip bones or lower. There's a hilarious Saturday Night Live skit about "mom jeans," probably available on YouTube. LLBean and Lands End still sell them (or as close as you're going to get to them anymore). They really accentuate the belly, which is why they've fallen out of fashion, I think.
Wow. My next question is why would anyone want to wear them in today's day and age. It's almost like they intentionally made them as ugly as possible. lol. I do remember that SNL skit. When I watch a movie from the 80s every now and then someone will be wearing them and I cringe. No one looks good in them.

But hey, who am I to judge, I wear crocs. I remember a comedian doing a skit about men wearing crocs and he said it's the universal sign letting the world know you have officially given up on life. lol. But hey they are comfortable and I only wear them on the weekends.

Having said all that, crocs are as ugly as you can get.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

f35phixer
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:41 pm

Re: Thoughts about wearing a "uniform"/same thing everyday?

Post by f35phixer » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:44 pm

stemikger wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:57 am
f35phixer wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:38 am
We had a young engineer working for us, wore the same black pants every day. I gave him the call sign SPEED - Same Pants Every EFFIN day!!! :D
This is what I was a little afraid of. I didn't want people to think I was unhygienic. How do you know he didn't have 5 pairs of the same pants.
I am sure that he had at least a couple, i sat in cube next to him, oh i WOULD have said something to him if he SMELT!

bloom2708
Posts: 2842
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:08 pm
Location: Fargo, ND

Re: Thoughts about wearing a "uniform"/same thing everyday?

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:49 pm

A couple years back I wore the same shirt to work for 12 days leading up to Christmas. "12 days of Xmas shirt". I washed it of course.

Not one person noticed, commented or said anything. My wife thought I was crazy. My point was that it doesn't matter.

I could have 2, 3, 4 shirts and just rotate with 2 pairs of jeans. Nobody would know. Except that seasons change.

Maybe don't buy the same color shirt, but 3-4 different colors. Rotate and wash as needed. :wink:
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

User avatar
Elsebet
Posts: 389
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:28 pm
Location: Washington state

Re: Thoughts about wearing a "uniform"/same thing everyday?

Post by Elsebet » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:55 pm

I'm female and work in IT. Our office is always cold, so outside of the few months a year it is warm here in the PNW I wear a zip-up hoodie I can remove if necessary. I also wear jeans every day, so it may look like I wear the same outfit all the time even though I pick a different shirt every day. One less thing I need to worry about.

User avatar
Earl Lemongrab
Posts: 2939
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:14 am

Re: Thoughts about wearing a "uniform"/same thing everyday?

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:21 pm

I wear jeans an a polo shirt each day. I have an assortment of shirts in various colors.
This week's fortune cookie: "You will do well to expand your horizons." Ow. Passive-aggressive and vaguely ominous.

User avatar
Earl Lemongrab
Posts: 2939
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:14 am

Re: Thouhgts about wearing a "uniform"/same thing everyday?

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:22 pm

bob60014 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:24 pm
No, but I walked into a Walmart wearing a blue short sleeve polo and khakis and had 4-5 people coming up to me asking where items were. The first two I told them I didn't work there. The others, I played along and helped, told them where the items were. Luckily I knew. I'm glad no one reamed me out about a problem!
https://improveverywhere.com/2006/04/23/best-buy/
This week's fortune cookie: "You will do well to expand your horizons." Ow. Passive-aggressive and vaguely ominous.

galectin
Posts: 186
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:57 pm

Re: Thoughts about wearing a "uniform"/same thing everyday?

Post by galectin » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:28 pm

This fits me with one modification.

Toward the end of graduate school I was in a meeting and thought that I was a little underdressed. So, after some thought I started wearing the following:

Black cotton slacks.
Black socks.
Black tie leather shoes.
A "dress shirt" (plain color or with stripes) that a tie could be worn with.

Wearing different shirts makes it much less uniform-like. I wore this combo throughout my post-doctoral training and thirty years as a faculty member. If I had to lecture in a class or go to a meeting with the Dean or Chancellor I would put a tie on from the four that I kept in my office. I arranged my shirts in my closet so laundered shirts went in on the left and I picked shirts to wear from the right (This is basic fairness so some shirts didn't feel left out.). I often wore a lab coat.

After retiring I am doing the same thing. Sneakers, tee-shirts, and shorts in the summer, jeans in the winter. If I am going somewhere more "formal" I will wear a polo shirt and black jeans. As the black jeans get worn looking I wear them to work around the yard and house. And, in frugal boglehead-fashion many of my tee-shirts were left by my son when he went to college and my shorts were given to me by my brother-in-law because they didn't fit him.

Caduceus
Posts: 1460
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:47 am

Re: Thoughts about wearing a "uniform"/same thing everyday?

Post by Caduceus » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:35 pm

When I am not at work, I wear the same shirt every day, because I like the cotton material. It is really soft and the only fabric I've found that makes me feel like I'm in my own skin. I'm so worried I won't be able to find them anymore that I've stocked more than 100 of them for the rest of my life. I don't stock any other thing in my life.

azurekep
Posts: 950
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:16 pm

Re: Thoughts about wearing a "uniform"/same thing everyday?

Post by azurekep » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:07 pm

stemikger wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:01 am
azurekep wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:31 pm
SrGrumpy wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:09 pm
stemikger wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:48 am
At work they call me Johnny Cash because of my black outfit, but ...
I would take this as a massive compliment; no need to explain anything to them. You're the Man in Black.
There was a Goth-type guy in our office (all black attire, all the time) who had a very scary nickname. He seemed to like it though as he definitely wanted the attention. He didn't last long though in a traditional office setting.
Yeah, I get that. Especially with all the crazy people out there who lose it at the work place. We have a few of them also. My black outfit is a dress black shirt and Lee casuals. Very similar to the way Johnny Cash used to wear except I wear plain black loafers. For the record, I have been wearing the same shoes by Dexter just as long. I buy them on Amazon and they last about a year and are extremely comfortable.
That's okay. As long as YOU are not Dexter. ;)

fasteddie911
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 3:13 pm

Re: Thoughts about wearing a "uniform"/same thing everyday?

Post by fasteddie911 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:30 am

I'm pretty fashion-conscious but also enjoy simplicity. I would have no qualms about wearing the same outfit everyday. However, rather than have multiples of the same items, I'd mix and match a small variety of items that are plain, neutral, not memorable but very versatile. This would be a notable step-up fashionably, while still maintaining simplicity and ease. One could have 5 different pants and 5 different shirts equaling 25 different combos. For pants we're talking about plain grey or khaki, with different shades or materials/textures. Shirts can be solid or small patterned(checks or stripes) white or light blue. Fit is key. Little thought needs to be applied when deciding what to wear, just grab and go. Same idea can be applied to shoes, ties, sportcoats, etc.

User avatar
tooluser
Posts: 185
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Thoughts about wearing a "uniform"/same thing everyday?

Post by tooluser » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:02 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:17 am
After 3 or 4 weeks, the pants walk by themselves.
Saves one a trip to the office... :mrgreen:
Learn economical motion of delivery from a variety of angles, then lengthen the distance gradually. -- Bruce Lee

User avatar
tooluser
Posts: 185
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Thoughts about wearing a "uniform"/same thing everyday?

Post by tooluser » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:18 pm

galectin wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:28 pm
I arranged my shirts in my closet so laundered shirts went in on the left and I picked shirts to wear from the right (This is basic fairness so some shirts didn't feel left out.)
:!: I am more likely to spill my breakfast on a favored shirt than on one less so ensorcelled.
Correlated with how favored the shirt is, it is more likely to suffer permanent stains as well.
Learn economical motion of delivery from a variety of angles, then lengthen the distance gradually. -- Bruce Lee

User avatar
KlingKlang
Posts: 471
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:26 pm

Re: Thoughts about wearing a "uniform"/same thing everyday?

Post by KlingKlang » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:27 pm

For years I would wear black pants on MWF and brown pants on TTh. Long sleeve shirts usually with a sweater in winter and short sleeve in summer. Rotated through about a dozen shirts.

stimulacra
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:50 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Thoughts about wearing a "uniform"/same thing everyday?

Post by stimulacra » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:59 pm

It's a popular career hack now, to essentially wear a personal uniform (10-12 copies of each clothing item). Steve Jobs, Mark Zuckerberg, Christopher Nolan are all well known for doing this.

Business casual in the contemporary office is a cognitive nightmare in that you can waste 15-20 minutes at the start of your day making clothing decisions that don't really impact your performance at work at all.

Below is a personal account from a female art director who decided after a rushed morning to simplify her dress code and morning routine and it changed her life for the better.

Why I Wear The Exact Same Thing to Work Every Day
http://bit.ly/2nTs9fV

Decision fatigue is real, plenty of studies have shown that inmates up for a parole hearing are less likely to get paroled at 4:30 PM versus 8:30 AM.

Also from streamlining and simplifying your life, I'm guessing having a personal uniform is a really easy way to set yourself apart at work, in that you have a consistent image, that's hopefully well thought out and put together. It's an interesting personal branding exercise.

I don't wear the same thing everyday but I have adopted a capsule wardrobe approach for work that's essentially the same thing but with more variety in fabric, colors, and patterns. I get all of my shirts from the same maker, my shoes from a specific brand, and get the same style of pants from the same place, just vary up the colors a bit. I can pick out any item out from my capsule wardrobe randomly and it'll more or less go together and look cohesive.

On weekends I wear whatever and probably spend more time thinking about what I want to wear to run errands or grab brunch on a Saturday than I do during the entire workweek combined.

I find the topic interesting and is a great icebreaker when you spot someone who's adopted the approach.

seychellois_lib
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:05 am

Re: Thoughts about wearing a "uniform"/same thing everyday?

Post by seychellois_lib » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:23 pm

stemikger wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:31 pm
Posted by Rupert
Natural waist pants = "mom jeans." Men used to wear them as well though. Typically the top of natural waist pants will be at or near the belly button, as opposed to at the top of the hip bones or lower. There's a hilarious Saturday Night Live skit about "mom jeans," probably available on YouTube. LLBean and Lands End still sell them (or as close as you're going to get to them anymore). They really accentuate the belly, which is why they've fallen out of fashion, I think.
Wow. My next question is why would anyone want to wear them in today's day and age. It's almost like they intentionally made them as ugly as possible. lol. I do remember that SNL skit. When I watch a movie from the 80s every now and then someone will be wearing them and I cringe. No one looks good in them.

But hey, who am I to judge, I wear crocs. I remember a comedian doing a skit about men wearing crocs and he said it's the universal sign letting the world know you have officially given up on life. lol. But hey they are comfortable and I only wear them on the weekends.

Having said all that, crocs are as ugly as you can get.
I got a pair of Croc clog slippers from my Daughter as an XMAS present a number of years ago. These are the ones with the liner to keep your tootsies warm. Whenever she gives me something it is the "best gift ever", or so she says. In this case she was absolutely right. I love these things and if giving up on life means racing my sailboat to Hawaii singlehanded and with warm feet during the first five hundred miles of windy reach then, OK, I gave up, ha ha ha.

When I used to work and before I completely gave up on life per the above, I had about a dozen long sleeve button down shirts of varying colors but same design. I would match these with either a pair of jeans or a pair of casual slacks. I had one reversible belt but never knew when to reverse it so it was always black. Black puma ankle socks and black slip on loafers. I had so many shirts because I would have them laundered and medium starched and could always count on having a few shirts in reserve while I did the dry cleaner wait. This worked out pretty well for many years. BTW, I always thought a starched button down looked reasonably professional. One could add a decent sports coat and look pretty dressy if necessary.

My retried uniform is the aforementioned Crocs combined with a grey Walmart T shirt and a pair of ancient Walmart sweat pants. The most comfortable, and darn near the cheapest, outfit on earth IMO. I am sure my neighbors are amused when they see me in the driveway every morning collecting my WSJ. I cannot say as much about my Wife's enthusiasm. She seems to be avoiding me lately.

spth
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:31 am

Re: Thoughts about wearing a "uniform"/same thing everyday?

Post by spth » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:43 pm

I wear khaki pants, a white shirt, a blue blazer and bow tie. I have three sets of pants and shirts. One I keep at work so that I can change when the knees rip out or I spill on my shirt. The ripped pants become my shorts for the summer. When the cuffs wear out on my shirts they become t-shits. I find $1000 blazers at goodwill for $5 or less and have them tailored for $50. I've never thought of this as a uniform. No one from work has ever commented on my atire.

User avatar
stemikger
Posts: 4560
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:02 am

Re: Thoughts about wearing a "uniform"/same thing everyday?

Post by stemikger » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:02 am

seychellois_lib wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:23 pm
stemikger wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:31 pm
Posted by Rupert
Natural waist pants = "mom jeans." Men used to wear them as well though. Typically the top of natural waist pants will be at or near the belly button, as opposed to at the top of the hip bones or lower. There's a hilarious Saturday Night Live skit about "mom jeans," probably available on YouTube. LLBean and Lands End still sell them (or as close as you're going to get to them anymore). They really accentuate the belly, which is why they've fallen out of fashion, I think.
Wow. My next question is why would anyone want to wear them in today's day and age. It's almost like they intentionally made them as ugly as possible. lol. I do remember that SNL skit. When I watch a movie from the 80s every now and then someone will be wearing them and I cringe. No one looks good in them.

But hey, who am I to judge, I wear crocs. I remember a comedian doing a skit about men wearing crocs and he said it's the universal sign letting the world know you have officially given up on life. lol. But hey they are comfortable and I only wear them on the weekends.

Having said all that, crocs are as ugly as you can get.
My retried uniform is the aforementioned Crocs combined with a grey Walmart T shirt and a pair of ancient Walmart sweat pants. The most comfortable, and darn near the cheapest, outfit on earth IMO. I am sure my neighbors are amused when they see me in the driveway every morning collecting my WSJ. I cannot say as much about my Wife's enthusiasm. She seems to be avoiding me lately.
LOL. Good for you, living the carefree life!! IMHO we worked and compromised most of our working life, in retirement, we should be ourselves no matter what others think. I love my crocs, but man they are ugly. lol
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

User avatar
Dendritic Tree
Posts: 90
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:20 pm

Re: Thouhgts about wearing a "uniform"/same thing everyday?

Post by Dendritic Tree » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:43 am

6bquick wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:24 am
dbr wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:53 am
Aren't scrubs supposed to be "clean" attire retained in the work environment of a hospital. I always get the willies when I see health care people running around in public in their work clothes. In my field when involved in manufacturing work we usually had protective/clean attire that did not leave the work area much less the actual facility.
Scrubs here too. Switched recently with job change and, like Clueless mentioned, i love them. Easy, comfy, a bazillion pockets, whats not to love? As far as them being clean, There are "surgery" scrubs that are typically institutionally owned and cleaned that particular employees will change into once they get to work depending on their job; ie surgeon, scrub nurse etc. But there are lots of other jobs that also wear their own scrubs that aren't necessarily going to be saturated with VRE or bodily fluids upon leaving work. Having said that, i don't wear mine to church or anything but i don't exactly think twice about stopping for gas on my way in or grabbing eggs on my way home. HTH.
Scrubs for the win. It’s like getting to wear your pajamas to work every day. Rapidly changeable if they are contaminated in the line of duty. I don’t think twice about wearing them home, including stopping by the grocery store if indicated. If they are contaminated, I’d just change into a new pair while still at work. If I were a surgeon and worked in the OR, I would of course be required to wear a new set procured at work every day and not wear them home, but I work in the ICU and I’m not as frequently exposed to bodily fluids as surgeons.

If I were a patient, I’d worry much more about the bacteria living on my doctor’s white coat than on her scrubs. Most doctors do not clean theirs regularly enough (I change mine out at least once a week). Same goes for neckties, which have no place in modern healthcare as they are regularly exposed to the environment and never sterilized. I am personally offended when a doctor wears a necktie in the hospital - a conceited anachronism of a bygone age, and no more surefire way to obtain a MRSA-contaminated fomite.

User avatar
blaugranamd
Posts: 403
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:57 pm
Location: D-lux apt in the sky

Re: Thoughts about wearing a "uniform"/same thing everyday?

Post by blaugranamd » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:41 am

This is such an old man thread "thinking about clothes is hard, I'll wear the same thing every day." And it frightens me that I identify with it... :P :wink: :D

Given I'm not THAT far along just yet I did a variation: 3-4 different pant styles, 10 dress shirts, hang them up randomly and wear them left to right daily, flip around when I hang em back up so I know where I'm at. Of course now that I'm in the air Force I actually do wear the same thing every day...
-- Don't mistake more funds for more diversity: Total Int'l + Total Market = 7k to 10k stocks -- | -- Market return does NOT = average nor 50th percentile, rather 80-90th percentile long term ---

RAchip
Posts: 177
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 7:31 pm

Re: Thoughts about wearing a "uniform"/same thing everyday?

Post by RAchip » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:00 am

I am a lawyer and we need to wear a "uniform" also. A three suit rotation is fine -- navy, navy pinstrip and grey. 5 white button down collar shirts all identical. 5-10 ties. One pair of black cap toe dress shoes. Black belt. 5 pairs of navy dress socks.

User avatar
F150HD
Posts: 1143
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:49 pm

Re: Thoughts about wearing a "uniform"/same thing everyday?

Post by F150HD » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:50 am

I love the idea of it. I just haven't pulled a trigger on it.

Zuckerberg from Facebook does this (note same shirt in each interview). I'm not a FB fan, but recalled reading this.

UplandMike
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:05 am

Re: Thoughts about wearing a "uniform"/same thing everyday?

Post by UplandMike » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:58 am

I'll wear a white or blue OCBD and chinos Monday-Friday. if I want to dress it up, a sport coat or blazer and a tie. clothing is something I'd rather not waste energy thinking about.

stimulacra
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:50 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Thoughts about wearing a "uniform"/same thing everyday?

Post by stimulacra » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:20 am

An Australian morning news anchor wanted to explore the double standard between how men and women were judged based on their clothing.

With a few exceptions (for dry cleaning) he wore the exact same suit every day for a year, changing out only the shirt and tie.
https://youtu.be/f4it1k5OP9Q

No one noticed or made a comment.

seychellois_lib
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:05 am

Re: Thoughts about wearing a "uniform"/same thing everyday?

Post by seychellois_lib » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:03 pm

stimulacra wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:20 am
An Australian morning news anchor wanted to explore the double standard between how men and women were judged based on their clothing.

With a few exceptions (for dry cleaning) he wore the exact same suit every day for a year, changing out only the shirt and tie.
https://youtu.be/f4it1k5OP9Q

No one noticed or made a comment.
Interesting, As I read this thread I asked myself did I ever pay attention to what my male or female colleagues were wearing at work. I concluded I did not. What I did pay attention to is when someone was out of the ordinary in either a good or bad way. I imagine this is true for most observers.

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 17515
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: Thouhgts about wearing a "uniform"/same thing everyday?

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:21 pm

azurekep wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:07 pm
VictoriaF wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:26 pm
2. The main advantage of having standardized clothes is the reduction of the cognitive load of getting dressed. The saved capacity of System 2 can then be used for more important tasks such as writing books and winning Nobel prizes.
Mark Zuckerberg made Facebook a "success" by wearing the same T-shirt every day.

Now if he would only move on to wearing different, complicated, multi-color, multi-item clothes to move his cognitive load onto clothes and stop messing around with our internet... :|
Zuckerberg is easy. But how would you dress up Russian bots posting on the Facebook and Twitter?!

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 17515
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: Thoughts about wearing a "uniform"/same thing everyday?

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:23 pm

2015 wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:52 pm
Mimi2 wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:25 pm
I have no money to speak of and an extravagant wardrobe due to the excess available in our American lifestyle. I may average an annual expense of $300. I can express myself in any way I please including dressing down as a lower middle class citizen when the occasion presents itself. I admire anyone with an individual aesthetic they have developed to please themselves. Usually a unique personality shines through.
Mimi
About 100 years ago now...I read in some designer's book that people without taste, buy style. People with taste, create it (without having to spend a lot of money).
This is very perceptive. Enjoying your posts,

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 17515
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: Thoughts about wearing a "uniform"/same thing everyday?

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:26 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:51 am
DaftInvestor wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:05 am
I had a college professor that wore the same thing every day - literally. We could tell because the same chalk mark on his pants was there day after day.
When I see someone wear the same clothes I always think of him and distance myself from the person in case the odor is foul.
Pants aren't like shirts or underwear; they usually can be worn more than a day, unless the wearer is a sloppy eater or spends time around livestock.
Or does not wear underwear.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

azurekep
Posts: 950
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:16 pm

Re: Thouhgts about wearing a "uniform"/same thing everyday?

Post by azurekep » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:04 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:21 pm
azurekep wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:07 pm
VictoriaF wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:26 pm
2. The main advantage of having standardized clothes is the reduction of the cognitive load of getting dressed. The saved capacity of System 2 can then be used for more important tasks such as writing books and winning Nobel prizes.
Mark Zuckerberg made Facebook a "success" by wearing the same T-shirt every day.

Now if he would only move on to wearing different, complicated, multi-color, multi-item clothes to move his cognitive load onto clothes and stop messing around with our internet... :|
Zuckerberg is easy. But how would you dress up Russian bots posting on the Facebook and Twitter?!

Victoria
Adidas track suits, what else?

https://www.eatliver.com/adidas-in-russia/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gopnik

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 17515
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: Thouhgts about wearing a "uniform"/same thing everyday?

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:13 pm

azurekep wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:04 pm
VictoriaF wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:21 pm
azurekep wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:07 pm
VictoriaF wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:26 pm
2. The main advantage of having standardized clothes is the reduction of the cognitive load of getting dressed. The saved capacity of System 2 can then be used for more important tasks such as writing books and winning Nobel prizes.
Mark Zuckerberg made Facebook a "success" by wearing the same T-shirt every day.

Now if he would only move on to wearing different, complicated, multi-color, multi-item clothes to move his cognitive load onto clothes and stop messing around with our internet... :|
Zuckerberg is easy. But how would you dress up Russian bots posting on the Facebook and Twitter?!

Victoria
Adidas track suits, what else?

https://www.eatliver.com/adidas-in-russia/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gopnik
Awesome bots!

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Post Reply