Car battery?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
sport

Re: Car battery?

Post by sport » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:23 pm

After an episode where Sears Automotive tried to cheat me, I have been reluctant to get auto service there. They also seem to be slowly going out of business. A busy Sears store in my area closed last year. Additional closings nationwide were recently announced.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:19 am

I often don't follow my own advice but as far as proactively replacing the car battery, it is one of the cheapest regular maintenance that you can do on the car. When spread over 4 years $100 battery is costing your $1 per month! There is nothing else on the vehicle which costs less than that!

One thing I do religiously is that at first sign of *any* electrical trouble, I replace the battery if it is over year or so old. And then only I take out the multi-meter and try to diagnosis the issue. After over 30 years of car owning, this has been the most optimal path for me.

I also try to keep at least one working jump starter around. These days, it is a tiny lithium one and I am not even sure it will work when asked to do its job.

roflwaffle

Post by roflwaffle » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:04 pm

I usually head down to the junkyard and find the biggest and newest battery that will fit. In my experience I get about 80% of the life for 20-30% of the cost. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to do this with my hybrids because the smaller auxiliary batteries are harder to find. I also had a bad experience with a Optima Yellowtop (one of the cells shorted just outside of warranty), so I'm going to try two NiMH modules from a Prius in series and see how that works.

fishboat

Post by fishboat » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:46 pm

Just read this thread as I'm about to purchase a battery..and tossing out a data point..fwiw.

The battery I'm replacing is 15+ years old and still starts its '98 Merc Grand Marquis just fine...even outside all night at 9 degrees a couple days ago. It's an '02 Motorcraft battery and has lived its life in said vehicle in SE Wisconsin, under year around use.

It pains me to let it go before it finally & ultimately fails, but I have a long trip coming up and think it's prudent to avoid a battery failure while on vacation...still, 'tis a sad day, it was nearly old enough to get its own license..and not far from being able to vote.