Favorite Holiday Recipes

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
fishandgolf

Favorite Holiday Recipes

Post by fishandgolf »

With the Holidays fast approaching, once again, it's time to dig out those favorite family recipes and fill the bins with treats......

Having been retired for nine years and DW still working full-time.......I get called upon to do most of the Holiday baking / cooking. So, of the gazillions of different cookies that we are treated to each year, here is my favorite:

"SOFT OATMEAL RAISIN COOKIES"
1 cup raisins
1 cup water
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar "Edit....forgot to add the sugar on initial post"
1 t. soda
2 eggs
2 cups fine oatmeal
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 t. cinnamon
1 t. vanilla
1/2 t. salt
Chopped walnuts if desired

Boil raisins in water until soft...let cool. Cream butter, with sugar. Add 7 tablespoons of liquid from raisins and soda. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time.
Add cooked raisins. Stir in oatmeal flour, cinnamon, salt and vanilla. Add nuts. Drop from spoon onto a greased cookie sheet. Bake in moderately hot oven at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Keep an eye on them so the bottoms don't get too brown.

This recipe is from my MIL.....she's an exceptional baker and provides tons of great treats during the Holidays.

Perhaps you have a favorite you wish to share............
Last edited by fishandgolf on Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NightFall

Re: Favorite Holiday Recipes

Post by NightFall »

Too bad there hasn't been more replies here. I was kind of looking forward to it. I guess it takes a good amount of work to find the recipe and type it in.

I like the recipe on the back of the Baker's coconut bag for coconut macaroons. Except I have an old version of the recipe. My version (and I kept the bag it was on so I'm not just making it up) uses half the coconut of the current version on the bag. I pipe melted chocolate in a wavy pattern across the top when they're cool. Looks nice with the dark chocolate against the white cookie. They are great, but kind of expensive to make. Plus it uses a lot of egg whites, and I'm never quite sure what to make with all of the egg yolks left. Still, I make them every holidays.
AtlasShrugged?

Post by AtlasShrugged? »

Bogleheads.....For those who like holiday breads, you might try this.

Stollen Recipe

This was used by my grandfather in Brooklyn NY (circa 1920-25) at the Hapscomb Bakery (now defunct). It is very simple, but a time consuming recipe. This yields 4 loaves of stollen.

Ingredients

Three (3) packages of Yeast (I always use Fleishman's)
2 cups milk - warmed (not hot, but more than room temperature)
Three sticks of butter melted (melted at low heat, you don't want the butter too hot)
One (1) stick of butter, room temperature - you will melt this after dough rises the first time.
Six (6) eggs beaten (room temperature)
one (1) cup rum
Candied fruit (32-40 Oz)
1 Pkg sliced almonds (approximately 4 oz), or walnuts
Eleven (11) cups of flour
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp mace [optional - my family typically does not like mace, but do a batch with and without and see for yourself]
Powdered confectioners sugar
Wax paper, pastry brush (to brush melted butter)

1 - Combine flour, salt, sugar, nutmeg, mace into a very large mixing bowl. Stir gently to mix the dry ingredients. I always use a really large metal mixing bowl. This is the 'dry ingredients bowl'.

2 - Turn on oven to 150 degrees (just enough to warm it - when it gets to 150 degrees, turn off the oven. open the door for a minute to let out excess heat. Then close the door. The trick is to have a slightly warm oven.

3 - Add the yeast to the slightly warm milk, stir gently with a fork. Put into oven for 10 minutes (use a timer if you have it).

4 - In a small saucepan, slowly melt the butter over low heat - do not clarify the butter.

5 - Butter a large bowl and set aside (this is what you will have the bread rise in the first time. The butter is to make sure the dough does not stick to the bowl when it rises). This is the 'Butter Bowl'.

6 - Combine eggs, melted butter, rum and milk/yeast mixture into a single mixing bowl. Gently stir to mix the ingredients. Take care not to kill the yeast by overly stirring. This is the 'wet ingredients bowl'. Do not use an electric mixer - it will kill the yeast (I made this mistake - trust me).

7 - Set aside 2 cups of flour (you will add to the dough to make it the right elasticity as you knead the bread). Add the fruit, almonds, and the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients bowl. You will knead the dough (gently) to mix the ingredients. This is tricky - you can't knead too much. This kneading usually takes 5-10 minutes.

8 - The dough will probably be very sticky and 'cling' to your hands. Add 1/2 cup of flour, and knead gently. If the dough is still sticky, keep adding flour 1/2 cup at a time. The dough is the right consistency when you rub your hands together and the dough comes off your hands without being really sticky. Be careful, it is easy to add too much flour.

9 - When the dough is kneaded, and it does not stick to the sides of the bowl, it is ready for the first rising. Put the dough into the 'Butter Bowl', cover with plastic wrap, and put into the oven (it should still be a little warm). Set the timer for 1:30 - 2:00 (yeah, 1.5 to 2 hours).

10 - Now wash the dry ingredients bowl and the wet ingredients bowls. Put them away. :-)

11 - Butter two cookie sheets (this is what you put the loaves on to rise the second time and bake). Set aside.

12 - Melt the 4th stick of butter when it is about 10 minutes from the time to take the 'Butter Bowl' out of the oven (the first rising).

13 - Get two sheets of wax paper (about 16" length) - this is where you will cut the dough into loaves and roll it out. I use wax paper so the dough won't stick to the counter.

14 - When the dough has risen (it should be close to doubled), take it out of the oven, put onto wax paper. Now cut the dough (gently!) into four (4) equal size pieces. Roll out (or form with hands) the loaves (one at a time) into rectangular shapes (usually 8" x 12"). Brush with melted butter. Put onto buttered (or PAM spray) cookie sheets.

15 – Preheat Oven to 350. The loaves bake for 45 minutes. At around the 22-23 minute mark, switch the sheets in the oven. You do this so the loaves bake evenly.

This is a lot of work but I'll tell you what. Every year about this time I start getting emails asking when the loaves are coming. :happy
“If you don't know, the thing to do is not to get scared, but to learn.”
DarthSage

Post by DarthSage »

I have a number of holiday favorites--all types, sweet and savory. I'll post my most popular, begged-for recipe. This is a take on Alton Brown's White Trash--takes 5 minutes to put together, makes a lot, and everyone loves it!

Better than White Trash

1 box (11oz, I think) Cinnamon Chex
3 1/2 cups Cheerios
16 oz--about 3 cups M&Ms (I use seasonal)
2 cups salted mixed nuts
1 bag pretzel Goldfish
2 11 oz bags white chocolate chips

Mix first 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Melt white chips and pour over, stirring well to coat. Spread out on baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Let harden, then break up and put in plastic bags for gifting. Or eating. You could get fancy and sprinkle on nonpareils after stirring in the white chocolate, or decorate by piping red and green melted chocolate on at the same point.

P.S. That stollen recipe looks amazing! I don't know if I have the nerve to try--I usually just buy my (German) husband the stollen from Aldi's.
AtlasShrugged?

Post by AtlasShrugged? »

P.S. That stollen recipe looks amazing! I don't know if I have the nerve to try--I usually just buy my (German) husband the stollen from Aldi's.
DarthSage....It is amazing. Well-worth the effort. I have taught my sons how to do it (they helped me from the time they were 3 years old), but I think this family tradition will die with me. I am the last of males in my family who do this. And as RA takes it's toll on my hands and wrists, it becomes more difficult with each passing year. I will tell you that mace is an acquired taste; it is hit or miss.

I have never missed a year since I was 17 in making stollen. This is the 34th year I will be doing it. I will be shipping stollen to CA, NV, NC, VA, MI, MN, OH, MD and family here in NJ. I usually take 2-3 days off and just start baking. Start early (typically 0430) with a strong pot of coffee and just keeping going until it is dark outside. Then repeat as needed. :)
mxs

Post by mxs »

Not really a holiday recipe, but always a hit. A good twist on salsa...

Cowboy Caviar
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/103674/cowboy-caviar/

1 can black beans drained
1 can black-eyed peas drained
1 can diced tomatoes drained (I prefer to use freshly diced tomatoes, not canned)
2 cups frozen corn kernels thawed
1/2 medium onion chopped
1/4 green bell pepper finely chopped
1/2 cup chopped jalapeno pepper (or more for more heat, or use a Serrano pepper for even more heat)
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1 cup Italian salad dressing (I use 1/2 cup, or slightly less)
3/4 cup chopped cilantro (I omit this completely, I don't like cilantro)

You can adjust heat by removing the inside white flesh of the jalapenos and seeds, as that is where the heat is. Sometimes I make two batches, one mild and one hot, with the flesh/seeds removed for the mild batch and added for the hot batch.
boglegirl

Post by boglegirl »

OK, I know this might seem weird, but trust me. My family loves them, although the first time I made them I used 1/4 tsp of cayenne, and they wondered why the cookies seemed to burn the tongue. :D

Ginger Molasses Snaps (aka Lardsnaps)

1/2 c. plus 2 tablespoons lard
1 c. sugar
1 large egg
1/4 c. molasses
2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 T. ground cinnamon
1 T. ground ginger
1/2 T. cloves
1/4 tsp. grated nutmeg -- fresh if possible

In large bowl, cream the lard with the sugar; add the eggs and molasses and blend well. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt and spices. Beat them into the molasses mixture. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and chill for an hour or overnight. Preheat the oven to 375. Roll dough into one-inch balls. Roll dough in crystal sugar or granulated sugar. Place 2 inches apart. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until the outsides of the cookies are crackly looking. Makes 2 1/2 dozen cookies.
boglegirl

Post by boglegirl »

Here is my family's favorite holiday feast side dish. It only makes 6 servings, so you can double it for a 9x13 dish for larger gatherings.

10 oz whipping cream
1 lb. frozen kernel corn
1 1/2 T. melted butter
1 1/2 T. flour
1 1/2 T. sugar
1 pinch white pepper
1 pinch salt, or to taste
3-4 T. freshly grated parmesan cheese

Combine corn, cream, salt, sugar, and white pepper in a pot and bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes. Make a roux from butter and flour; add to corn, mix well, and remove from heat. Transfer corn mixture to shallow casserole dish. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and brown under broiler.
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

Try the recipes in the NYT. I can't always get to them because of the paywall, unfortunately. But the pictures look so truly great.
heyyou

Post by heyyou »

Pumpkin Spiced Eggnog (without alcohol)
Others joke about "pumpkin spiced" everything, but I like the eggnog. Try it in your breakfast oatmeal.
Valdeselad

Post by Valdeselad »

This is a great thread, thanks for posting.

I’d be interested to learn of side dishes for thanksgiving that are unique to your families but are hits. There is only so much green bean casserole you can make...
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

My absolute favorite holiday recipe -- quick and easy. And by "holiday" I mean when fresh cranberries are available. But you can use frozen. NOTE: I don't use [edit: paper] muffin cups because I like the way contact with the metal tin makes a more crispy muffin.

Cranberry Apple Muffins

1 cup all-purpose flour
½ cup whole-wheat flour, oat bran, or all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp salt
2 large eggs
¾ cup packed dark brown sugar
¼ cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
¾ cup diced, tart apple
¾ cup cranberries
½ cup chopped walnuts

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease muffin cups, or use foil cups.
Mix flours, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl.
Break eggs into another bowl. Add sugar and whisk until smooth. Whisk in oil and vanilla. Stir in apple, cranberries, and walnuts
Pour over dry ingredients. Fold in just until dry ingredients are moistened.
Scoop batter into muffin cups. Bake 20-25 minutes, or until browned and firm to the touch. Do not freeze.
Last edited by GerryL on Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

JCE66 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:37 am Bogleheads.....For those who like holiday breads, you might try this.

Stollen Recipe

This was used by my grandfather in Brooklyn NY (circa 1920-25) at the Hapscomb Bakery (now defunct). It is very simple, but a time consuming recipe. This yields 4 loaves of stollen.

Ingredients

Three (3) packages of Yeast (I always use Fleishman's)
2 cups milk - warmed (not hot, but more than room temperature)
Three sticks of butter melted (melted at low heat, you don't want the butter too hot)
One (1) stick of butter, room temperature - you will melt this after dough rises the first time.
Six (6) eggs beaten (room temperature)
one (1) cup rum
Candied fruit (32-40 Oz) :(
1 Pkg sliced almonds (approximately 4 oz), or walnuts
Eleven (11) cups of flour
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp mace [optional - my family typically does not like mace, but do a batch with and without and see for yourself]
Powdered confectioners sugar
Wax paper, pastry brush (to brush melted butter)

1 - Combine flour, salt, sugar, nutmeg, mace into a very large mixing bowl. Stir gently to mix the dry ingredients. I always use a really large metal mixing bowl. This is the 'dry ingredients bowl'.

2 - Turn on oven to 150 degrees (just enough to warm it - when it gets to 150 degrees, turn off the oven. open the door for a minute to let out excess heat. Then close the door. The trick is to have a slightly warm oven.

3 - Add the yeast to the slightly warm milk, stir gently with a fork. Put into oven for 10 minutes (use a timer if you have it).

4 - In a small saucepan, slowly melt the butter over low heat - do not clarify the butter.

5 - Butter a large bowl and set aside (this is what you will have the bread rise in the first time. The butter is to make sure the dough does not stick to the bowl when it rises). This is the 'Butter Bowl'.

6 - Combine eggs, melted butter, rum and milk/yeast mixture into a single mixing bowl. Gently stir to mix the ingredients. Take care not to kill the yeast by overly stirring. This is the 'wet ingredients bowl'. Do not use an electric mixer - it will kill the yeast (I made this mistake - trust me).

7 - Set aside 2 cups of flour (you will add to the dough to make it the right elasticity as you knead the bread). Add the fruit, almonds, and the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients bowl. You will knead the dough (gently) to mix the ingredients. This is tricky - you can't knead too much. This kneading usually takes 5-10 minutes.

8 - The dough will probably be very sticky and 'cling' to your hands. Add 1/2 cup of flour, and knead gently. If the dough is still sticky, keep adding flour 1/2 cup at a time. The dough is the right consistency when you rub your hands together and the dough comes off your hands without being really sticky. Be careful, it is easy to add too much flour.

9 - When the dough is kneaded, and it does not stick to the sides of the bowl, it is ready for the first rising. Put the dough into the 'Butter Bowl', cover with plastic wrap, and put into the oven (it should still be a little warm). Set the timer for 1:30 - 2:00 (yeah, 1.5 to 2 hours).

10 - Now wash the dry ingredients bowl and the wet ingredients bowls. Put them away. :-)

11 - Butter two cookie sheets (this is what you put the loaves on to rise the second time and bake). Set aside.

12 - Melt the 4th stick of butter when it is about 10 minutes from the time to take the 'Butter Bowl' out of the oven (the first rising).

13 - Get two sheets of wax paper (about 16" length) - this is where you will cut the dough into loaves and roll it out. I use wax paper so the dough won't stick to the counter.

14 - When the dough has risen (it should be close to doubled), take it out of the oven, put onto wax paper. Now cut the dough (gently!) into four (4) equal size pieces. Roll out (or form with hands) the loaves (one at a time) into rectangular shapes (usually 8" x 12"). Brush with melted butter. Put onto buttered (or PAM spray) cookie sheets.

15 – Preheat Oven to 350. The loaves bake for 45 minutes. At around the 22-23 minute mark, switch the sheets in the oven. You do this so the loaves bake evenly.

This is a lot of work but I'll tell you what. Every year about this time I start getting emails asking when the loaves are coming. :happy
JCE66......this is a great recipe. My mom used to make yeast based coffee cakes and cinnamon rolls during the holidays.....great stuff.

Question: I am not a big fan of the candied fruit. If I sub raisins or cranberries.......do I need to alter anything? More sugar perhaps?
pondering

Post by pondering »

Here is one variation of a favorite side dish:

https://sterbalfamilyrecipes.miraheze.o ... ls_sprouts

If I get inspired, I'll create a category on my recipe wiki to share the ones posted here.
--Robert Sterbal | robert@sterbal.com | 412-977-3526
Topic Author
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

That would be great "pondering".....................
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

Mom's Sweet Potatoes (aka, Pink Adobe Sweet Potatoes)

[editor's note: mom said it was no different to use canned sweet potatoes (as called for) instead of cooking fresh. I totally disagree. Garnet sweet potatoes ("yams") cooked in the microwave are much tastier, IMO]

Serves 12.
2 40 oz can yams, drained
1/4 C brandy
2/3 C fresh orange juice
1 T grated orange rind
1 t salt
1/2 C brown sugar
1/2 t ground ginger
1/4 t gr black pepper
3 egg yolks

Mash these ingredients till smooth; place in baking dish (12x9x2).

Topping
2/3 C brown sugar
1 1/2 C chopped pecans
1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 C melted butter

Spread over yam mix.
Bake at 350 degrees till bubbly & brown, abt 45-60 min

With this, you can skip dessert if you have to ;)
gretah

Post by gretah »

Totos - Italian chocolate cookies

Preheat oven to 350F. Makes around 4 dozen small cookies.

COOKIES
1/2c raisins or dried cranberries or dried cherries
1 stick unsalted butter
1c granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 Tbsp real vanilla
1/3c dark rum or brandy
1/4c strong coffee, optional
2c + 2 Tbsp flour
1/2c chopped pecans
1c semi-sweet cocoa
1.5 tsp ground cloves
1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
0.5 tsp ground nutmeg
2.5 tsp baking powder

Grease cookie sheets. Chop nuts in food processor; set aside. Chop dried fruit with the 2 Tbsp flour; set aside. Put sugar and eggs in a processor bowl and mix 1 minute. Cut butter stick into 6-8 pieces and put in processor bowl. Add rum or brandy and vanilla. Add coffee if desired. Mix for 1 minute.

In a stand mixer bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cocoa, and spices. Mix thoroughly with wire whisk. Change from whisk to paddle. Add sugar/egg mixture to bowl and mix until just blended. Do not over mix. Add nuts and fruit then mix until just blended.

Form into balls around 1.25" in diameter. Bake on greased cookie sheets until bottoms start to brown and toothpick comes out clean. Around 12-13 minutes. Cool completely before icing.

FROSTING
Recipe makes enough glaze for several batches of cookies.

8oz semi-sweet chocolate. Top quality. Block or chips.
1 stick unsalted (sweet) butter, soft
1 egg (omit egg if not serving same day or if gifting cookies)
powdered sugar
milk or cream

Combine 1/3 stick of soft butter with chocolate in heat-proof bowl. Melt in micowave on very low setting.

In processor or mixer bowl, combine egg, rest of butter, 1/2c powdered sugar, 1/4c mik, and chocolate. Machine whisk. Add powdered sugar if mixture needs thickening. Add milk if thinning is required.

Note: do NOT substitue margarine or anything else for the unsalted butter
gretah

Post by gretah »

I made up this recipe and took the cake to a holiday dinner last year. It was a big hit!

Fig, almond, cardamom, cognac cake

Ingredients
1.25 cups dried figs, chopped
0.5 cup cognac
0.5 cup - 1 stick - melted unsalted butter
2 Tbsp lemon zest
1 cup sugar
3 eggs at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla or almond extract
1.5 cups ground skinless blanched almonds
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/3 c flour
2.5 tsp cardamom
1.5 cups whipping cream
0.25 cup slivered or sliced almonds for decoration
Optional: serve with a spoon of lemon curd at side.

Preheat oven to 325°F / 160°C
Soak figs in cognac in a zip lock bag while preparing other ingredients.
Prepare cake pan with parchment paper.

Beat together sugar and melted butter, then add eggs and beat until pale. Add extract and half the lemon zest at end and beat just to mix in.

Put flour, baking powder, baking soda, and 2 tsp cardamom in food processor. Pulse until mixed. Add ground almonds and mix.
In a small bowl, mix a few spoonfuls of the egg mixture with a similar amount from the almond mixture. Mix thoroughly with a fork. Return mixture to the egg bowl and stir briefly and gently.
Fold one third of the almond mixture into the egg mixture. Fold in a second third. Then fold in the last of it with the figs and cognac. Pour batter into cake pan.

Bake 30 minutes and turn, checking for doneness.
Bake another 10 minutes or so until a toothpick or knife tester comes out clean.
Let cool for a few minutes then transfer to platter.

Whip cream with remaining cardamom. Cut cake into pieces and place on plates. Add a dollop of cream then sprinkle with almonds and remaining lemon zest.

Note: Cognac can be boiled for a moment to evaporate alcohol if you wish. Do so before adding to diced figs.

If the cake isn't sweet enough for you, add sugar to the cream when you whip it for the topping.
AtlasShrugged?

Post by AtlasShrugged? »

Question: I am not a big fan of the candied fruit. If I sub raisins or cranberries.......do I need to alter anything? More sugar perhaps?
fishandgolf....The short answer to your question is 'I don't know'. I have never done that. If you elect to go down that path, I would look up a recipe for cinnamon raisin bread. :wink:
NightFall

Post by NightFall »

gretah wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:23 am I made up this recipe and took the cake to a holiday dinner last year. It was a big hit!

Fig, almond, cardamom, cognac cake
Is that a 9in round pan?
AtlasShrugged?

Post by AtlasShrugged? »

Is that a 9in round pan?
nightfall....I am guessing that based on the amount of flour (1/3rd cup), we are talking about a 9" loaf or round pan. It sounds amazing. I have got to try it out.
DarthSage

Post by DarthSage »

fishandgolf wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:32 pm
JCE66......this is a great recipe. My mom used to make yeast based coffee cakes and cinnamon rolls during the holidays.....great stuff.

According to this site: https://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/fruitcakesec.htm

you can substitute fruits, so long as you retain the correct quantity. I agree with you on the candied fruits, I might consider some kind of apple/raisin type filling. If you use cranberries, they would need some sugar because they're so tart. A lot of the time, dried cranberries already have sugar added to them.
Topic Author
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

Looking a FABULOUS appetizer recipe for those upcoming holiday cocktail parties......Bacon Wrapped Smokies....by far one of the best! :beer

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/69919/baco ... d-smokies/

It has a Five Star rating out of 1290 reviews.....it's that good. Read the reviews for a few tips........here are a few things I've done over the years:

1) Roll the bacon in brown sugar before wrapping the smokies.....adds a bit more flavor.

2) For a little extra crispiness, turn on the broil for a minute or two. But be careful.....they will burn easy if not watched. Also, the tooth picks might catch fire.

3). Line the baking pan with foil.......easier clean up.
4). Double the recipe.......because they'll get gobbled up fast.......... :sharebeer
jriding

Post by jriding »

I make this every Thanksgiving, but it's also a year round staple.
My kids think Brussels sprouts are their favorite green vegetable. Probably because they've only had them with bacon: :D

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/228875/map ... ith-bacon/

Notes:
-After chopping the Brussels sprouts, put in a large mixing bowl. Mix in the maple syrup, olive oil, and salt (I prefer kosher salt).
-After chopping the bacon, saute in a sauce pan (less mess) until almost crisp. Then poor the bacon pieces and fat into the mixing bowl and stir.
-Spread the Brussels sprouts mixture onto a pan in a single layer and cook per the recipe.
alex_686

Post by alex_686 »

This is our new holiday recipe favorite, Mary Berry's Apple & Almond Cake Recipe. It is from The Great American Baking Show which is the US version of the British Baking show. It makes a nice cake and uses almond flour instead of regular flour.

http://abc.go.com/shows/the-great-ameri ... ake-recipe
Former brokerage operations & mutual fund accountant. I hate risk, which is why I study and embrace it.
PVW

Post by PVW »

My secret recipe for holiday joy:

3 Tbs Bourbon
1/4 cup ice
Mix together and enjoy. Adjust proportions to your liking.

I don't like the yam/sweet potato dishes that are sweet. Here is a savory recipe from Rick Bayless that is quite good.
http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/savor ... casserole/
sevenseas

Post by sevenseas »

This is my recipe, modified from one in Bon Appetit. For those who don't like traditional fruitcake, this is more of a "pound cake with dried fruit". The ingredient list sounds daunting but the actual preparation is a breeze. Please don't omit the almond paste, it really is essential (I use Odense brand which is not difficult to find.) One of my friends loved his Xmas gift so much that he now makes these as an Xmas tradition in his own extended family. :)

Golden Fruitcake

3 cups or more combined chopped dried pears, dried apricots and pitted dates (or your favorite dried fruits)
1 cup or more raisins
1/2 cup brandy or rum
candied orange peel, to taste
2 packages almond paste, cut in pieces (can freeze beforehand to make cutting easier)
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
8 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups all purpose flour
pecan halves
candied cherries/orange slices for garnish
4 8 x 3 3/4 x 2 1/2-inch disposable aluminum loaf pans, 8 1/2 x 3 1/2 x 2-inch corrugated paper baking loaf forms*or 8 1/4 x 4 1/4 x 2 1/2-inch metal loaf pans

Combine dried fruit (including raisins) and brandy in large bowl. Cover and let stand at room temperature overnight, stirring occasionally.

Preheat oven to 325°F. Butter baking pans or forms. Beat 1 1/2 cups butter, sugar and brown sugar in large bowl until light. Beat in eggs 1 at a time, then vanilla, cardamom, nutmeg and salt. Stir in flour in 4 additions. Stir in dried fruit mixture and any soaking liquid from bowl. Gently fold in almond paste.

Divide batter among prepared pans. Garnish with pecans, candied cherries/orange slices. Place pans on baking sheet. Bake until tester inserted into center of cakes comes out clean, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Cool cakes completely in pans on racks. Wrap in plastic. Let stand at least 1 day and up to 3 days at room temperature or chill up to 2 weeks. Serve at room temperature.

Makes 4 loaves.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

This is the most delicious Sweet Potato Casserole/Pudding in the universe :D

SWEET POTATO PUDDING - (serves 15) 2-9x12 baking pans or 2-2 qt casseroles

Pudding =
9 med sweet potatoes - peeled & chunked
1/2 stick (4 Tbs or 1/4 cup) butter - cut up
2+1/2 Tbs vanilla
2+1/2 Tbs maple syrup
1+1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
4 eggs - lightly beaten with fork

Boil the peeled & chunked sweet potatoes in water to cover until soft, about 15-20 min. Drain.
Put in bowl, or return to pot, & mash with butter, vanilla, maple syrup, cinnamon & nutmeg.
How smooth you mash it depends on how chunky you want the pudding.
Mix beaten eggs into pudding. Salt to taste.
Spread pudding in greased pans, about 1-2 inches thick, depending on taste.
Make topping ==>>

Topping =
3 cups light brown sugar
1+1/2 cups pecans - chips or fine chopped
1+1/2 sticks (12 Tbs or 3/4 cup) cold butter
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice

Make topping by mixing together light brown sugar, pecans, cinnamon & allspice.
Add cold butter by cutting into pea-size pieces with paring knife & dropping into mixture - do not melt butter.
Salt to taste.
Mix gently so butter does not melt. Make crumbly like streusel.

Spoon topping gently over sweet potato pudding, covering fully.
Thickness of topping is to taste - there is no sugar in the pudding, only the topping.

Bake 350 for 45 min-1 hr, until topping "bubbles & crackles."

Note - OK to make ahead, refrigerate & cook next day - but do not put topping on until just before cooking.
OK to freeze unbaked without topping, then defrost, add topping & bake.
OK to make topping ahead & keep in refrigerator until needed.

:sharebeer
Last edited by Miriam2 on Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Teague

Post by Teague »

Bourbon soaked fruitcake

Ingredients:

A bottle of good bourbon, I prefer Booker's. It's tasty, and cask strength.

Measure four ounces bourbon.
Send someone to the store to buy a g-damned fruitcake.
Drink the bourbon before they get back.
Repeat as needed.

OK, seriously now, Alton Brown has the best fruitcake recipe I've seen. The key is to use good fruit, not the dried candied junk from the 1950's. This recipe calls for rum, but I prefer bourbon, and Booker's would be a good choice thanks to the intense flavor and high proof. An important role of spirits here is to act as a solvent to solubilize the various flavor compounds.

Here's a link to the authorized version of the recipe-

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alto ... pe-1926833
Semper Augustus
Sparky1500

Post by Sparky1500 »

Miriam2 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:49 pm This is the most delicious Sweet Potato Casserole/Pudding in the universe :D

Pudding =
2+1/2 Tbs vanilla
2+1/2 Tbs maple syrup
1+1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg

Boil the peeled & chunked sweet potatoes in water to cover until soft, about 15-20 min. Drain.
Put in bowl, or return to pot, & mash with butter, vanilla, maple syrup, cinnamon & nutmeg.
Make topping ==>>

Topping =
3 cups light brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice

Add cold butter by cutting into pea-size pieces with paring knife & dropping into mixture - do not melt butter.
Salt to taste.

Thickness of topping is to taste - there is no sugar in the pudding, only the topping.

Note - OK to make ahead, refrigerate & cook next day - but do not put topping on until just before cooking.

My spouse made this today to try out before the holiday. It is our new favorite and we will be making it for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners this year. I am sure it will become our tradition!
Retired August 3, 2018 and very grateful.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Sparky1500 wrote:
Miriam2 wrote: This is the most delicious Sweet Potato Casserole/Pudding in the universe :D
My spouse made this today to try out before the holiday. It is our new favorite and we will be making it for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners this year. I am sure it will become our tradition!
Thank you! So happy your family enjoyed it!
My large extended family wants me to make it also for Fourth of July, all birthdays and anniversaries, Veteran's Day, Memorial Day, New Years Eve, Halloween, etc etc - so be careful what you get yourself into :wink:
CookEMstr

Post by CookEMstr »

My two favorite side dish recipes are - Ina Garten's Cranberry Sauce (I like without raisins!), and sweet potato casserole (make this every year for Thanksgiving, and usually Christmas too!).

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina- ... pe-1941951

https://www.howsweeteats.com/2011/11/li ... casserole/
TheHouse7

Post by TheHouse7 »

This is a holiday recipe because you should not eat it everyday:

Breakfast sausage, cream cheese, Rotel.

Look it up online if you need more clarification and thank me when you're in heaven.

8-)
"PSX will always go up 20%, why invest in anything else?!" -Father-in-law early retired.
dekecarver

Post by dekecarver »

Homemade cranberry sauce:
1 cup water
1 cup of sugar
1 cinnamon stick
orange zest to taste
a splash of bitters
Bring all to a boil
Add one bag of cranberries and slow boil for ~10 minutes.
Easy
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

mouses

Post by mouses »

Just a reminder to write down those favorite recipes, otherwise after you croak no one knows how to make Granny's amazing whatever.
DarthSage

Post by DarthSage »

I am definitely trying that sweet potato recipe. I'm SOOO not a fan of overly sweet sweet potatoes! Also, my vegetarian daughter will be home, I like to have several dishes that she can eat, since she won't be having the turkey.

I second Mouses' suggestion of writing down recipes. I made my oldest a hand-written recipe book (I bought the blank one in Ollie's for cheap). Then my other three kids asked for them, so I made one for each. Obviously, a computer would have been quicker, but I wanted them to be in my handwriting. Added bonus, I put in special "Mom tips" and jokes, like that the Snickerdoodles have to be made with real butter and my Rocky Road recipe serves one person if it's me. Someday, those books will be priceless.
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

Another favorite recipe is Wolfgang Puck Butternut squash soup.
https://www.wolfgangpuckcookingschool.c ... quashSoup/
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

mouses wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:11 pm Just a reminder to write down those favorite recipes, otherwise after you croak no one knows how to make Granny's amazing whatever.
They can have my cookbooks. Everything is online now. I notice both of my kids are into baking for relaxation, I don’t think they eat a lot of carbs.
Watty

Post by Watty »

A twist on how to make stuffing is to make stuffing balls or patties.

Instead of making it in a casserole dish you put the balls or patties on a cookie sheet and bake them so that they have lots of crunchy crust vaguely like crab cakes.

My Mom always made it this way and it may be a southern style of serving stuffing.

I don't have a recipe handy but here is how I make mine.

Bag of Pepperidge Farm corn bread stuffing mix, add butter, broth, celery, and onion according to instructions on bag.

Brown 8 oz spicy pork sausage (1/2 tube) per bag of mix.

Add one egg to make it stick it together better.

Mix together and place balls or patties on cookie sheet and bake until brown crust forms.

My sister in law thought the patties resembled hockey pucks so that became our family nickname for them.

You can Google "Cornbread Stuffing Balls" for a more formal recipe.
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

You can also make the dressing in muffin pans for individual servings.
Topic Author
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

Before DW headed out the door this morning, she handed me the annual list of ......Family Favorite Christmas Cookies. Instructions are...."start building the inventory....we've got lots of guests coming during the holidays"..... :)

First batch to hit the oven......Pecan Fingers. DW's all time favorite:

1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 cups flour
1/2 t. salt
1 t. water
1 t. vanilla
2 cups chopped pecans

Cream butter and sugar until fluffy; add remaining ingredients...mix well. Shape dough into mini-crescents and place on ungreased cookie sheet...bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes....do not brown. Remove from oven then Roll in confectioners sugar. Single recipe will yield: 12-15. I always make 1 1/2 batchs. These are really quite simple to make and our family/guests lov'em.

Next batch that hit the oven......Soft Oatmeal Raisin Cookies shown in OP. Time for a break....tomorrow's another day :beer
jadedfalcons

Post by jadedfalcons »

Being lazy and just sharing a link, but I made this for Thanksgiving and it was a hit. It'll be a staple from here on out, but I'm going to try it with a cup of sour cream added in the future.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/app ... cheesecake
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

My sister and I trade off (each year) making a Swedish Glögg. It is served hot. Can be with or without alcohol.

Quite a few different recipes out there. Most have the same general concept.

Glögg is the traditional drink in Sweden and Finland during the six weeks leading up to December 25--a cold, dark time of year in Scandinavia.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pigeon

Post by Pigeon »

Christmas breakfast--recipe from my friend's Italian grandma, I don't know what it's called.

Brown a pound of loose Italian sausage, drain
Beat a dozen eggs with a pint of ricotta
Pour over the sausage on medium to low heat, stir gently occasionally until the eggs are set.

I serve with these adorable bread bears
https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/teddy-bear-bread

and fresh fruit.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

boglegirl wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:35 am OK, I know this might seem weird, but trust me. My family loves them, although the first time I made them I used 1/4 tsp of cayenne, and they wondered why the cookies seemed to burn the tongue. :D

Thanks boglegirl!

Made these just now because it's a cold and rainy day all across Texas, so baking warms up the house, but also I've been looking for something to mimic Lucifer's Ginger & Chili Biscuits available in the UK.

Lardsnaps are devilishly delicious and go well with a mug of cold milk.

Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
fear/greed

Post by fear/greed »

^^^ re livesoft's post and the lack of comments since -
I guess we're all speechless at such a homey show from one who can employ such sublime wryness! Oh, livesoft!!! A plate of cookies and milk in a Vanguard mug?! That looks like a trial run for the night before Christmas.

A friend of mine in Austin texted me on Thursday: "It snowed." "Where?," I asked. "Here!," she said. Yes, this was a good week for baking in Texas.

Another friend of mine makes something like these cookies using, instead of lard, the leftover grease from cooking bacon - obviously, the same idea.
MarvinK

Post by MarvinK »

bloom2708 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:11 pm My sister and I trade off (each year) making a Swedish Glögg. It is served hot. Can be with or without alcohol.

Quite a few different recipes out there. Most have the same general concept.

Glögg is the traditional drink in Sweden and Finland during the six weeks leading up to December 25--a cold, dark time of year in Scandinavia.
Our family loves Glögg honoring our Swedish roots. Skol!
We don't make it from scratch anymore. We buy the non-alcoholic mix from Ikea or Cost Plus World Market and add vodka and sherry.

My Sister-in-Law's delicious recipe:
CRANBERRY-PECAN BARS

Base:
1 c all-purpose flour
2 t sugar
1/3 c margarine or butter
1 c finely chopped pecans or walnuts

Top:
1-1/4 c sugar
2 T all-purpose flour
2 beaten eggs
2 T milk (or cream)
1 T finely zested orange peel
1 t vanilla
1 c chopped cranberries
½ c coconut
optional fresh ground black pepper

In a medium mixing bowl, combine the 1 cup flour and the 2 tablespoons sugar
With a pastry cutter, cut margarine or butter into the flour mixture till the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Stir in ½ cup of the pecans. Press flour mixture into the bottom of an ungreased 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine the 1 ¼ cups sugar and the 2 tablespoons flour. Stir in the beaten eggs, milk, orange peel and vanilla.
Fold in cranberries, coconut and the remaining chopped pecans.
Spread over partially baked crust. Bake for 25-30 minutes more or till top is golden.
Cool in the pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars while still warm. Cool completely. Makes 36 bars.
boglegirl

Post by boglegirl »

livesoft wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:55 pm
boglegirl wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:35 am OK, I know this might seem weird, but trust me. My family loves them, although the first time I made them I used 1/4 tsp of cayenne, and they wondered why the cookies seemed to burn the tongue. :D

Thanks boglegirl!

Made these just now because it's a cold and rainy day all across Texas, so baking warms up the house, but also I've been looking for something to mimic Lucifer's Ginger & Chili Biscuits available in the UK.

Lardsnaps are devilishly delicious and go well with a mug of cold milk.

I'm glad you liked them! And I love the mug in the photo. :)
sevenseas

Post by sevenseas »

Miriam2 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:49 pm This is the most delicious Sweet Potato Casserole/Pudding in the universe :D

Pudding =
2+1/2 Tbs vanilla
2+1/2 Tbs maple syrup
1+1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg

Make topping ==>>

Topping =
3 cups light brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice

Salt to taste.

Resurrecting this old post...this has become my go-to Thanksgiving sweet potato recipe, an annual tradition. The Asian side of my family loves the fact that the potatoes are barely sweetened. The American side loves the topping (I tweaked it by adding flour and rolled oats). Thank you!! Happy Thanksgiving to all. :sharebeer