Heavy duty cordless drill/hammerdrill recommendation

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
jmndu99

Heavy duty cordless drill/hammerdrill recommendation

Post by jmndu99 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:33 pm

Hello all,

I work in the trades and use a drill/hammerdrill on the job in the Midwest. All times of year. All types of weather.

I now have a Dewalt 18 volt cordless with 2 batteries.

It's approx 6 months old. It leaves much to be desired.

I use it to drill holes from 1/4" to 1/2" holes using an 18" wood or masonry bit, through drywall, studs, top plates, brick mortar.

I use it to drill pilot holes and drive in 1/2" x 2 - 3" lag bolts.

I use it to drill a 3/16" hole in mortar to install a plastic anchor and screw to mount things to brick.

The chuck is tool less and I think it is a 3/8" chuck.

I'm looking for a drill and bits that are more robust and that can stand up to the use I give it

Do any of you have recommendations or ideas for drills and bits?

Any of you use a drill for the same type of uses as I?

Thank you

MoneyIsntEverything

Re: Heavy duty cordless drill/hammerdrill recommendation

Post by MoneyIsntEverything » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:39 pm

Deleted
Last edited by MoneyIsntEverything on Wed May 17, 2017 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki

CaliJim

Post by CaliJim » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:45 pm

The guys who just finished building a new house for me all used Makita cordless drills.

They made the top rated drill in this article:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/to ... 3/4292657/

I have the Ryobi myself because it was inexpensive and I drill less than 2 holes a month. What I don't like about it is that the toolless chuck has to be re tightened all the time.
Last edited by CaliJim on Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki

keith6014

Post by keith6014 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:46 pm

strongly recommend Milwaukee.
heavy duty, go for the brushless
absolute beast.

I also think your current drill DEWALT is pretty good. Maybe the drill bits are getting worn out.
Last edited by keith6014 on Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wilked

Post by wilked » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:51 pm

keith6014 wrote:strongly recommend Milwaukee.
go for the m12.
absolute beast
Agreed

leftcoaster

Post by leftcoaster » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:59 pm

go for the m12.
absolute beast
M12 is the lightweight model. OP is a pro and need 18v.

willie838

Post by willie838 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:18 am

yeah you're looking for milwaukee m18.

if you've got cash and really want a beast, get the fuel line.

i use milwaukee exclusively because i feel like dewalt is just garbage.

i don't have the fuel version, but it's brushless and has a longer run time than the standard m18- which is super efficient and powerful as hell.

i picked up a 4 pack- drill, impact gun, light, and hackzall ( it's like a right angled sawzall) for i think 400 a few black fridays ago at hd- zero regrets. quality.

ZapRowsdower

Post by ZapRowsdower » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:14 am

I have a Bosch 18v cordless hammerdrill that I bought along with an impact driver and can't say enough good things about it. I upgraded from a Milwaukee set that I also loved, but couldn't find batteries for a reasonable price anymore. The Bosch in my opinion just feels better in your hand and the battery life is outstanding, I haven't found a project yet that these two tools can't handle. Bosch also offers some pretty beefy batteries for these which I feel is the most important part if you're drilling big holes. They go all the way up to 6.0 Amp Hour. I have the 4.0 Amp Hour batteries and I'm constantly amazed at how long they last.

The kit I have: http://a.co/6o8Ufkj

Newer kit(I have no experience with this one): http://a.co/0CEtLT0

5 Ah Battery: http://a.co/ge9j9v4

6Ah Battery: http://a.co/cQ01ZGJ

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:16 am

Another Milwaukee fan here. I had to retire the 18V set I got 14 years ago because the batteries won't hold a charge and are too expensive to replace. So I've started building an M12 system, so far have acquired the Fuel hammerdrill, Fuel impact driver, 3/8" Ratchet, and heated jacket. Like others have mentioned, a pro should probably look at the M18 series for the extra power, although they do have dual M12/18 chargers, so you could mix and match as appropriate.

For the drilling in mortar, consider using a rotary hammer rather than a hammer drill. WAY more heavy duty and designed specifically for the task. They're available cordless or corded. I got a refurbished milwaukee corded model for $99, which I used to drill 3/16" holes in a 35 year old concrete patio so I could anchor a gazebo I'd built. Went through it like butter, whereas the old corded hammer drill I had tried just gave up at 1/2" or so, and I needed to go 4". Renting an equivalent tool from HD was $54/day, and I wound up not being able to finish the job on the first day due to a sudden torrential downpour, so buying was actually cheaper.

daveatca

Research

Post by daveatca » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:21 am

Fine Homebuilding tends to like Festool when evaluating tools.
https://www.festoolusa.com/power-tools/

I would spend the money on an online subscription
https://subscribe.finehomebuilding.com/ ... b-hp-promo

I have the print subscription and find it loaded with useful information.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:38 am

Personally I would never buy a hammer drill/drill combo anything. It is two completely separate functions and putting them together is a guarantee that neither gets done well. I have a Bosch hammerdrill that is superb for what it does. For 90% of the rest of the things I need a cordless drill for, I would buy an impact driver. I have the Dewalt 20V snubnose version and it does an outstanding job and has held up well over the years. The other brands mentioned above also make great impact drivers.

renue74

Post by renue74 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:44 am

An older, wiser friend of mine turned me onto Milwaukee tools 2 years ago. Until then, I bought whatever was on sale.

Now I own a couple M12 drills (impact and regular drill), M18 circular saw, mini-sawzall, and M18 drywall gun.

The batteries last a long time and I've been very happy with all of them. I own 4 rental properties and rehab them myself. No issues ever with Milwaukee. They'll last you.

Ninegrams

Post by Ninegrams » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:17 pm

Another vote for Milwaukee. You'll see them go on sale periodically, got an "insane" deal on an M18 hammer drill + Impact driver + two LI batteries & charger for $190 at the orange big box store.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:21 pm

Also in the trades. Recently "retired".
1/2" Chuck. Dewalt. 20v Lithium. Hammer Drill.
For bigger stuff. Plug in Makita high torque 1/2" drive or Angle head (more torque) 1/2" for larger auger (hole hawg) bits. 3/4" Makita impact to get the largest grade 8 lags in for commercial steel work.
As "lazydavid" mentioned. RotoHammer for the big stuff. Better bits available. Etc. Boch and Porta Cable for me. Will run forever on the jobsites.

dekecarver

Post by dekecarver » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:25 pm

Ive been satisfied with makita 18v. solid power and run time.

leonard

Post by leonard » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:28 pm

everything I buy from now on will have a cord. Too much planned obsolescence with these cordless battery tools.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.

ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:52 pm

Makita makes some great cordless SDS Max rotary hammers. The SDS bits tend to be much heavier duty than hammer drill bits. Not great for regular drilling or driving, and only accepts SDS Max bits.

Ralph

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:42 pm

absolute beast.

I also think your current drill DEWALT is pretty good. Maybe the drill bits are getting worn out.
+1

Milwaukee 12 volt fuel tools are light and powerful.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:43 pm

I’d like to bump this. Not sure if what I need exists, but I want a battery operated/cordless system that can be a:

- Cordless drill
- cordless reciprocating saw
- impact wrench

Is there a system that will power all 3 of these tools?

CaliJim

Post by CaliJim » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:00 pm

letsgobobby wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:43 pm
I’d like to bump this. Not sure if what I need exists, but I want a battery operated/cordless system that can be a:

- Cordless drill
- impact wrench

Milwaukee
Makita
DeWalt

all good brands

and the Ryobi stuff works fine.. for light use.

Also... do you need an impact wrench or would a hammer drill do. Some of the hammer drills work fine both for drilling holes, driving screws, and tightening nuts. The delta is mostly the chuck.

How/where will you be using this stuff? Weekend home repair, shade tree car maintenance, hobby projects, or in the trades?
Last edited by CaliJim on Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki

curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:47 am

letsgobobby wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:43 pm

- Cordless drill
- impact wrench

All the major brands will offer this. I think you want to stick with the 18/19Volt stuff with Li-ion batteries. For typical household use I'm not sure it is necessary to go for anything super heavy duty. I've had an assortment of Craftsman18V tools for the past 15 years which have served me well (though if I were buying today I'd probably go for one of the other brands listed here). I had to replace a couple sets of Nicad batteries over the years before I went to my current Li-ion ones. The cordless impact wrench isn't as powerful as my old compressed air version, but it is quite convenient if I want to pull wheels off the cars.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:00 am

Dewalt 20V MAX Lithium Ion Kit/Combo.
Impact driver
hammer drill (1/2" chuck)
circular saw
reciprocating saw

In a pinch, this kit will do a remodel. The only weak spot is the circular saw. No substitute for a worm drive.
Tool addict :D

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:35 am

From what I read an impact driver may not be strong enough for what I need, which is primarily to take the blades off a riding mower deck. For lug nuts I think one would do.

The recip saw is to take apart small trees and limbs and general household tasks, no house reno or demo going on here. I plan to avoid chainsaws but would like to do the lightweight tree work.

The cordless driver or drill is for torquing down a weight distribution hitch for my trailer.

I hear good things about most of the brands, but also see they seem to plan obsolescence as their batteries get bigger over time and the older tools don't fit the newer batteries.
Last edited by letsgobobby on Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

dekecarver

Post by dekecarver » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:38 am

Mikita 18v 3 amp. All you will need. Power and hold charge a long time.

nodenuff2

Post by nodenuff2 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:08 am

I really have been satisfied with the performance of my Hitachi cordless tolls.
2014 No. 42 2015 No.342 2016 No. 6 2017 238 what do I know? "Good bless America land that I love..."

curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:00 am

letsgobobby wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:35 am
From what I read an impact driver may not be strong enough for what I need, which is primarily to take the blades off a riding mower deck. For lug nuts I think one would do.

The recip saw is to take apart small trees and limbs and general household tasks, no house reno or demo going on here. I plan to avoid chainsaws but would like to do the lightweight tree work.

I hear good things about most of the brands, but also see they seem to plan obsolescence as their batteries get bigger over time and the older tools don't fit the newer batteries.
There are both impact drivers (primarily intended for driving screws) and larger cordless impact wrenches (with 1/2" socket drives). Bolts are sized according to the torque they can take, and I'd think anything on a riding mower could be dealt with by the larger socket type impact wrench. The smaller impact drivers could be useful if you are driving lots of screws to a specific level, like hanging sheetrock, but I've been fine with my variable speed drill for what I do

I've gotten used to using a small electric chainsaw for light tree work; it cuts a lot faster and avoids the finicky small gas engine, but I've kept using a corded version so far. I've actually cut some pretty large stuff with it as well, but a corded version might not be much use if we had a big storm and power outage and needed to clear downed trees...

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:13 pm

jmndu99 wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:33 pm

I'm looking for a drill and bits that are more robust and that can stand up to the use I give it
Can you specify what the issue is? Bits break, or lose their edge, or drill breaks, or chuck strips, or battery life too short...? I'm sure you know more about this than I do, but each has a different solution.

I can say what I use now but I don't sink 3" lag bolts into masonry (!). As one or more others have said, use a corded for the really heavy-duty stuff. For one project where I had to drill a ton of 1/2-inch holes through big pressure-treated, I just used a heavy-duty DeWalt corded drill.
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"

jmndu99

Post by jmndu99 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:41 pm

Thank you to all who have replied. I have hung on to my current drill.

I found bits for masonry that work well for my use.

James

sco

Post by sco » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:22 pm

I know you do this daily, and so this may not apply to you...

But for general home use I haven't found any better setup than Rigid. They make ALMOST everything that I want, the batteries all work together and everythign including the batteries are replaced with a lifetime warranty. Around the holiday's you can get a good deal on a driver/drill, battery, etc combo. I love the thing...

It isn't the best built, but it is built pretty well and like I said Lifetime warranty, just walk into a HOme Depot and walk out with the new part.

Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:23 am

jmndu99 wrote:
You should try using an impact driver to drive lag bolts.

jmndu99

Post by jmndu99 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:31 am

Luke Duke wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:23 am
jmndu99 wrote:
You should try using an impact driver to drive lag bolts.

My current Dewalt has a setting for impact driving which I have found helpful.

Thank you

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:05 am

Milwaukee. These days I buy only their tools, IMO they are the best consumer grade brand.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:20 am

I've had good luck with Milwaukee as well. For what it's worth Milwaukee, Rigid, and Ryobi are all owned by the same parent company. They are intended as high-end, mid-grade, and low-end (respectively).

I tend to go Milwaukee for tools I use often or tools that will be used for heavy-duty projects. For tools I use occasionally or do not require robust construction, I go Ryobi. Nothing against Rigid, but it makes little sense to buy a third battery system. I must say it is quite annoying how batteries are not compatible between brands.

Maikita and Dewalt are fine as well, but I find Maikita is a bit more limited in terms of the number of tools available on the system.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:56 pm

seems like all provide a cordless drill/driver and recip saw attachment.

What about an impact wrench? Will any of this provide a proper attachment compatible with the battery set?

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:34 pm

Pretty much any brand/voltage will provide an impact driver. This has a 1/4" hex chuck, and is an ideal tool for driving and removing fasteners in non-delicate materials. Way less stress on your hand, and less likely to strip the bit or fastener.

Generally only the higher-end brands will have an impact wrench in their cordless lineup, and usually only in the higher-voltage series. For example, the Milwaukee M12 series that I use does not have an impact wrench. But the M18 series, and older V28 both do. This will be typical across DeWalt, Makita, Bosch, etc.

These will have a 1/2" square socket head, typically with a hog ring retainer, for mounting impact sockets, and will typically be used for removing and reinstalling nuts/bolts in high-torque applications, such as vehicle lugnuts, or retaining nuts used on suspension components. They can also be used to drive large lag screws into wood.

If having a torque wrench is important to you, either:
--Choose an 18V system for all your tools, being aware that this will make them all heavier and more expensive
--Use a corded electric or air-powered impact wrench
--Get just the impact wrench in the higher-voltage system, and accept that you have multiple types of batteries/chargers

I personally went the second route. The vast majority of my cordless tools are 12V, and then I have an air-powered impact wrench; along with a corded rotary hammer and super sawzall.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:05 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:34 pm
Pretty much any brand/voltage will provide an impact driver. This has a 1/4" hex chuck, and is an ideal tool for driving and removing fasteners in non-delicate materials. Way less stress on your hand, and less likely to strip the bit or fastener.

Generally only the higher-end brands will have an impact wrench in their cordless lineup, and usually only in the higher-voltage series. For example, the Milwaukee M12 series that I use does not have an impact wrench. But the M18 series, and older V28 both do. This will be typical across DeWalt, Makita, Bosch, etc.

These will have a 1/2" square socket head, typically with a hog ring retainer, for mounting impact sockets, and will typically be used for removing and reinstalling nuts/bolts in high-torque applications, such as vehicle lugnuts, or retaining nuts used on suspension components. They can also be used to drive large lag screws into wood.

If having a torque wrench is important to you, either:
--Choose an 18V system for all your tools, being aware that this will make them all heavier and more expensive
--Use a corded electric or air-powered impact wrench
--Get just the impact wrench in the higher-voltage system, and accept that you have multiple types of batteries/chargers

I personally went the second route. The vast majority of my cordless tools are 12V, and then I have an air-powered impact wrench; along with a corded rotary hammer and super sawzall.
Thanks that makes sense and is very helpful. I don’t really want to buy an impact wrench just for this one purpose (removing blades off a riding mower), but if I don’t get one I can’t sharpen the blades without having the local service guys pick up the tractor, which takes a week and costs $100 just for the pick up, so it wouldn’t take long to make it worthwhile. So... given that I need a very limited purpose impact wrench (I’m sure I could find other uses for it but that is the main one) any suggestions as to what I need?

random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:42 pm

How's the access? The other approach for sporadic use is to get a 2 ft cheater bar and pipe extension. If you get enough leverage, you can break loose bolts.

The "right" power tool is an impact wrench. There are also corded electric versions...

dekecarver

Post by dekecarver » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:07 pm

breaker bar or how about renting the tool you need?

curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:36 pm

It is worthwhile to stick with one battery system, but having a lighter (12v) drill can be handy. For a sawzall, 18v seems better, and definitely for an impact wrench. Having a corded electric impact wrench might work for your specific use case rather than messing with two battery systems or a compressor. Something like this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kawasaki-7- ... /203124413

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:19 am

If you can find other uses for a compressor, air-driven impact wrenches are usually best. If not, I'd go corded electric. Cheaper, lighter, and more powerful than the battery ones (at least until you get into the REALLY expensive battery ones). But first at least attempt the breaker bar with a cheater pipe method. I'd avoid buying a power tool to loosen one fastener if possible.

You can get a nice 24" Breaker Bar on Amazon for $23. It will last you a lifetime, and you never know when it'll come in handy.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:30 pm

letsgobobby wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:35 am

The cordless driver or drill is for torquing down a weight distribution hitch for my trailer.

For taking off the blades on a riding mower deck, I would go corded. It's not something you are likely to do often or away from electrical outlets so why go through the hassle of making sure the batteries are charged, etc.

For small tree limbs, using a recip saw is a lot of effort for what you are doing. Unless all the limbs are within easy reach, it means lots of ladder moving and putting yourself in potentially dangerous situations. The blades have such a narrow kerf that they are always getting pinched, bending and breaking. I would definitely get a pole saw (mine extends 20 feet) so your feet can remain on the ground and free to move you out from under a falling limb. They make motorized battery powered versions as well.

nickjoy

Post by nickjoy » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:04 am

Cordless makes the price go up and longevity go down (mainly batteries). Just buy a corded drill or impact for way cheaper and a long heavy extension cord. You'll come out on top.

Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:47 am

letsgobobby wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:05 pm
Thanks that makes sense and is very helpful. I don’t really want to buy an impact wrench just for this one purpose (removing blades off a riding mower), but if I don’t get one I can’t sharpen the blades without having the local service guys pick up the tractor, which takes a week and costs $100 just for the pick up, so it wouldn’t take long to make it worthwhile. So... given that I need a very limited purpose impact wrench (I’m sure I could find other uses for it but that is the main one) any suggestions as to what I need?
This is a great value.
https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-alu ... 68424.html

Their sockets are too
https://www.harborfreight.com/catalogse ... act+socket

There's also a 20% off coupon on the front page
https://www.harborfreight.com/