A tax planning question about the proposed GOP tax plan

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
jimmyrules712

A tax planning question about the proposed GOP tax plan

Post by jimmyrules712 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:21 pm

In the proposed GOP tax overhaul they are eliminating the adoption tax credit. My wife and I are planning to adopt soon and were counting on that credit to help pay for the expense (expected cost at $25k, credit is worth $13k). If these changes do get voted into law this year would they go into effect next year? So if we don't adopt by the end of this year then we would miss the window?

David Jay

Re: A tax planning question about the proposed GOP tax plan

Post by David Jay » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:23 pm

No can do - no commenting on proposed legislation on the BH forum.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

jimmyrules712

Post by jimmyrules712 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:35 pm

David Jay wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:23 pm
No can do - no commenting on proposed legislation on the BH forum.
I can't ask how the proposed legislation would affect me, even if the impact requires that I take action right now?

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:36 pm

It's WAY too early to be asking about moves to make in response to legislation which is certain to change. If it ever passes at all.

Lars_2013

Post by Lars_2013 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:37 pm

According to the current version of the House bill, yes, that provision goes into effect for taxable years beginning after December 31, 2017. https://waysandmeansforms.house.gov/upl ... l_text.pdf

I will refrain from commenting on the likelihood of that provision remaining in the bill, since this thread is already violating the rules.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:05 pm

It's way too early to be speculating about proposals... there's a place for that but not here.

neurosphere

Post by neurosphere » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:12 pm

jimmyrules712 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:35 pm

I can't ask how the proposed legislation would affect me, even if the impact requires that I take action right now?
That's correct, those happen to be the board rules. And, those rules have proven themselves to be a good idea.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:45 pm

This thread has run its course and is locked. Speculation about future legislation is prohibited by forum policy, see: Unacceptable Topics
Politics and Religion

In order to avoid the inevitable frictions that arise from these topics, political or religious posts and comments are prohibited. The only exceptions to this rule are:
  • Common religious expressions such as sending your prayers to an ailing member.
  • Usage of factual and non-derogatory political labels when necessary to the discussion at hand.
  • Discussions about enacted laws or regulations that affect the individual investor. Note that discussions of proposed legislation are prohibited.
  • Proposed regulations that are directly related to investing may be discussed if and when they are published for public comments.
This forum is focused on investing that is directly actionable to personal investors. We don't hold debates on conjecture.

The whole point of the policy is to (1) eliminate contentious disagreements that result from these discussions and (2) keep investors from making bad decisions. Proposed regulations change many times between the time they're introduced and signed into law.

The disagreements will indeed occur, which is more work for the moderators and results in locking the thread. See: Yellen: "We're taking a look at negative interest rates."

This thread is left visible as an example of an unacceptable topic.

Also see: Political comments and proposed tax plan remain off-topic
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.