Sagestream freeze

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Longtermgrowth

Sagestream freeze

Post by Longtermgrowth »

Have many here felt the need to freeze at Sagestream if already having gone through the trouble to freeze at the others (chexsystems, innovis, the big 3)?

How did the phone call for the freeze go? Was it an automated system recording your voice for the required info?
CyberBob

Re: Sagestream freeze

Post by CyberBob »

Sagestream?
Who the heck is that?
Their website seems very fraud-y to me. A freeze mentions mailing them things like a current bank statement, a voided check, a copy of your social security card, etc. They must be joking.

Further research and an L.A. Time article indicates their parent company is owned by Lifelock. Are they real or fishing for data?
Topic Author
Longtermgrowth

Post by Longtermgrowth »

The Wiki includes Sagestreamhttps://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Credit_freeze, and from my research, it looks to be used as an alternative to the big three by some institutions.

I have also found websites recommending a freeze of Sagestream for better approval on select cards, as one can have a good credit score, but a bad Sagestream score...

I've probably answered my own question, since a select few may only pull Sagestream initially.

Hope to hear feedback on the phone freeze process. If not, I'll probably have feedback to give on that soon if any are interested.
angelbell

Post by angelbell »

I requested a Consumer Report and Security Freeze, and filled out their form for Permanent Opt-Out from Preapproved offers of Credit and Insurance. I didn't call though, just sent all in the mail in one envelope. Within a week, they mailed me back a copy of the credit report (it was just two pages with no inquiries), Confirmation of Permanent Opt-OUt Election, and Security Freeze Confirmation with my PIN all in one envelope.
I now have a freeze on the Big 3, Innovis, Chexsystems and SageStream.
Topic Author
Longtermgrowth

Post by Longtermgrowth »

I looked through the opt-out page on their site, but the way I read it, it only applies to Sagestream.

When I signed up on the OptOutPrescreen site, I figured it included the smaller agencies, but thinking about it now, they do just list the four larger ones on their main page (big 3 + innovis)...
angelbell

Post by angelbell »

Many years ago, someone printed checks with MY bank checking account number with another name and address (probably fake). I noticed two unfamiliar checks written to retail outlets (the day after the checks were processed) when I logged on to my bank's website online. I printed the cancelled checks (front&back) which clearly had my account number but unfamiliar printed name/address and handwriting. I contacted my local bank. They immediately reversed the forged checks and closed that account. I went to the branch office that afternoon, and my balance transferred to a replacement checking account. Everything seemed resolved.
A year later, I found it odd when I couldn't open an online CD. That bank referred me to ChexSystems when I called and inquired. I knew about the Big 3 Credit Bureaus, but that's when I first learned about ChexSystems. I was shocked to see the two forged checks appeared on MY report as negative information. By that time, my local bank had been bought by a major bank and they had no record of my previous accounts after the merge.
Fortunately, I found a copy of one of the fraudulent check and "Declaration of Forgery/Unauthorized Draft" forms in my filing cabinet. In the end, ChexSystems removed the negative information from my report. However, the "investigative process" took a long time and effort.
It was such a frustrating experience..,even if it were just two forged checks for several hundred dollars.. and even if I'd caught, reported, and corrected the fraud virtually right away.
When I hear or read horror stories about Identity Theft (especially about those that went on for a period of time) and how it can ruin a person's life, I can understand.
Longtermgrowth wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:53 pm Have many here felt the need to freeze at Sagestream if already having gone through the trouble to freeze at the others (chexsystems, innovis, the big 3)?
As to SageStream, one can request and remove Credit Freeze for free. Their application process is very simple and only requires basic information and copy of driver's license or other government issued ID. They promptly processed and responded to me.
I'm semi-retired at this point and will not need more loans or credit cards etc.
Based on my experience, I prefer to cover myself as much as possible with preventive measures post- Equifax breach.
Better safe than sorry!
Topic Author
Longtermgrowth

Post by Longtermgrowth »

Thanks for sharing that unfortunate ordeal.
I hate to think how much more trouble it could have been if you hadn't saved those papers!
Shows how important it can be to get a free report occasionally from these smaller agencies, along with the security freeze.
I just learned about the ones other than the big 3 recently, thanks to extensive info here on Bogleheads.
flamesabers

Post by flamesabers »

CyberBob wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:23 pm Sagestream?
Who the heck is that?
Their website seems very fraud-y to me. A freeze mentions mailing them things like a current bank statement, a voided check, a copy of your social security card, etc. They must be joking.

Further research and an L.A. Time article indicates their parent company is owned by Lifelock. Are they real or fishing for data?
I did a freeze with SageStream and the only thing I had to send in with my request was a copy of my driver's license.
For security purposes, we must verify your identity. Therefore, please include the following with your written request:

A legible copy of your current driver’s license or other current government-issued identification card showing your current address and date of birth.
That's all they need.

However, if you don't have identification that meets that requirement then you'll have to send in more:
If your driver’s license or other government-issued identification card is not current or if it does not show your current mailing address, then a legible copy of a document from Category 2 listed below is also required.
If you do not have a driver’s license or other government-issued identification card, then a legible copy of a document from Category 1 and Category 2 listed below are required.
https://www.sagestreamllc.com/security-freeze/
beyou

Post by beyou »

Don't know if you must but I did it and it was mostly painless (paper based but it was done).
I don't want any of these firms making money selling my data without my consent.
Topic Author
Longtermgrowth

Post by Longtermgrowth »

I just found an interesting post by someone told to unfreeze their SageStream report for credit approval:

"SageStream called me back. My SageStream was not frozen. They told me that the SageStream report includes a score from the Innovis report and that if Innovis is frozen then the score would not be returned to the creditor and could result in a message that SageStream is frozen when Innovis is really what is frozen."
Source: post #23 https://creditboards.com/forums/index.p ... pic=603074

If that's true, and applies in all cases, then it seems having Innovis frozen should take care of possible credit lines issued through a SageStream pull.

I also wonder if the posts I've found about some creditors only pulling SageStream are true. It seems in many cases, including the above case, SageStream is used as supplemental information in addition to a pull from one of the big three...