What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
beehappy

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by beehappy »

Mudpuppy wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:03 am
beehappy wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:33 am I need help figuring out if I should ask Fidelity to lower my credit limit. I applied for their 2% cash back card about 2 weeks ago, and the approval finally came through and it's for $50k. I have no need for that high a limit, and am s bit concerned that it'd lock up my credit and mess with me getting other cards (got my eyes on citi double cash and BofA premium). Should I ask them to lower it? I doubt I'll spend more than $1k/month to this card, and will probably ditch it as soon as I get BofA premium and make platinum honors in a few months.
I don't personally think a high limit will harm you when you try to apply for credit cards at different issuers. Usually it's mortgages, and sometimes car loans, that consider the existing limits at other banks when making an application decision.

Perhaps what you're thinking of is when someone tries to get another card at the same issuer when they already have a lot of credit at that particular company. In those cases, they sometimes need to lower the limits on the existing cards at that issuer to "free up" credit for the new card. For example, say you have 3 Chase cards with a combined limit of $60k and you go to apply for a new Chase card. Chase might ask you to lower the combined limit on the existing Chase cards to $50k and then issue a $10k limit on the new card.
Yes, this is my concern. I thought it applied across banks. But if each bank considers only the credit it has extended to me, then I should be fine.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

Does the 5/24 rule apply to Chase Hyatt card?

Wondering if anyone has gotten it at or over 5/24. I know it applies to the United card because I got denied.
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

beehappy wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:33 am I need help figuring out if I should ask Fidelity to lower my credit limit. I applied for their 2% cash back card about 2 weeks ago, and the approval finally came through and it's for $50k. I have no need for that high a limit, and am s bit concerned that it'd lock up my credit and mess with me getting other cards (got my eyes on citi double cash and BofA premium). Should I ask them to lower it? I doubt I'll spend more than $1k/month to this card, and will probably ditch it as soon as I get BofA premium and make platinum honors in a few months.
Don’t worry. If the next recession is anything like the last one they will happily lower your credit involuntarily and with no notice. I would keep the line and not worry about it.
DrGrnTum

Post by DrGrnTum »

BW1985 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:04 am Does the 5/24 rule apply to Chase Hyatt card?

Wondering if anyone has gotten it at or over 5/24. I know it applies to the United card because I got denied.
This site is pretty good at giving out good information.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-52 ... need-know/
dbr

Post by dbr »

DrGrnTum wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:01 am
BW1985 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:04 am Does the 5/24 rule apply to Chase Hyatt card?

This site is pretty good at giving out good information.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-52 ... need-know/
Chase recently offered the BA card without invoking 5/24. Recent offers on the SW card did fall under 5/24. I can't answer for Hyatt, sorry.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

I have read that the Hyatt card can be obtained regardless of 5/24, but it does count as a card towards 5/24. Same with BA.

If my info is wrong please don't shoot the messenger.
fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors »

For California residents to get a companion pass after making only 1 purchase...
https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/southw ... PMEM171019

the offer details state:
Only the individual who received this email/offer from Southwest Airlines® is eligible for this promotion. Offer is nontransferable.

However, some people in the comments of travel/points blogs reported the deal is applicable to all Cali residents...I'm going to wait a few days to get confirmation/more data points before I apply.
Last edited by fareastwarriors on Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Jags4186 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:17 am
Don’t worry. If the next recession is anything like the last one they will happily lower your credit involuntarily and with no notice. I would keep the line and not worry about it.
I would think long term having the higher credit line will help your utilization by making it lower. As long as you set up alerts and keep on top of things you should be fine.
ryuns

Post by ryuns »

fareastwarriors wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:11 pm For California residents to get a companion pass after making only 1 purchase...

the offer details state:
Only the individual who received this email/offer from Southwest Airlines® is eligible for this promotion. Offer is nontransferable.

However, some people in the comments of travel/points blogs reported the deal is applicable to all Cali residents...I'm going to wait a few days to get confirmation/more data points before I apply.

This is such a nuts deal. I didn't know how far and wide they broadcast it. I'm a companion pass flyer this year (which I got from some separate promotion--like flying 8 one-way flights in August or something, but made up the cost on my first companion pass flight), so I assumed that's why I got the email. It's a crazy deal for Southwest flyers.
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton
DrGrnTum

Post by DrGrnTum »

ryuns wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:17 pm
fareastwarriors wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:11 pm For California residents to get a companion pass after making only 1 purchase...

the offer details state:

This is such a nuts deal. I didn't know how far and wide they broadcast it. I'm a companion pass flyer this year (which I got from some separate promotion--like flying 8 one-way flights in August or something, but made up the cost on my first companion pass flight), so I assumed that's why I got the email. It's a crazy deal for Southwest flyers.
For those of you with a "Business", you can get more bonus points after minimum spend if you sign up for the business card.

https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/southw ... ?CELL=6G9Z
beehappy

Post by beehappy »

Thanks for all the helpful responses to my prior question. I have another one: thinking of getting Delta platinum card which comes with 10k qualifying miles to help me make the next Skymiles level. Delta says that miles are credited 6-8 weeks after minimum spend. If I want the MQMs to be counted as part of my 2017 MQMs, do I need to make sure they're credited in 2017, or do I just need to make sure I meet the min spend in 2017? In other words, if I'm 10k miles short of Gold status and I spend the $3k in 2017, but Delta doesn't credit till 2018, do they still pull me to Gold?
Drew777

Post by Drew777 »

beehappy wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:16 pm Thanks for all the helpful responses to my prior question. I have another one: thinking of getting Delta platinum card which comes with 10k qualifying miles to help me make the next Skymiles level. Delta says that miles are credited 6-8 weeks after minimum spend. If I want the MQMs to be counted as part of my 2017 MQMs, do I need to make sure they're credited in 2017, or do I just need to make sure I meet the min spend in 2017? In other words, if I'm 10k miles short of Gold status and I spend the $3k in 2017, but Delta doesn't credit till 2018, do they still pull me to Gold?
The MQM would need to actually be credited to your Delta frequent flyer account in 2017.
beehappy

Post by beehappy »

Drew777 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:47 am
beehappy wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:16 pm Thanks for all the helpful responses to my prior question. I have another one: thinking of getting Delta platinum card which comes with 10k qualifying miles to help me make the next Skymiles level. Delta says that miles are credited 6-8 weeks after minimum spend. If I want the MQMs to be counted as part of my 2017 MQMs, do I need to make sure they're credited in 2017, or do I just need to make sure I meet the min spend in 2017? In other words, if I'm 10k miles short of Gold status and I spend the $3k in 2017, but Delta doesn't credit till 2018, do they still pull me to Gold?
The MQM would need to actually be credited to your Delta frequent flyer account in 2017.
Thanks. Does same rule apply to MQMs from flights? So if I flew with Delta on Dec. 30, and miles post on January 3, would those miles count toward 2017 MQM progress?
Ketawa

Post by Ketawa »

New policy from Chase, active duty military can be exempted from annual fees for cards opened after September 20, 2017 due to Chase's interpretation/implementation of the Military Lending Act (MLA). https://www.doctorofcredit.com/military ... est/#Chase

I still have a Chase Sapphire Preferred open for which I received a bonus in April this year using the "Selected For You" loophole around 5/24. Looks like I'll be waiting 19 months instead. I'll be below 5/24 in a few months.
Nyakendu

Post by Nyakendu »

Re: Does the 5/24 rule apply to Chase Hyatt card?

The 5/24 doesn't apply to the Chase Hyatt card. I'm over 5/24 and went ahead and applied for it last month (I was responding to a targeted mailing), and was approved. I've already met the spend limit for the 40k bonus points, which have now posted to my Hyatt account.
DiMAn0684

Post by DiMAn0684 »

^^^
BA, Hyatt, IHG and Ritz are not under 5/24.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

Good to know, thanks all.
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

DrGrnTum wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:26 am
Yukon wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:20 am
DrGrnTum wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:47 pm
On the blogs sites there are always announcements of bargain flights to Europe. Most of the time these fights are from specific cities to and from Europe.
Which blog is your favorite for bargain flight announcements to Europe?
https://milesfeed.com/

I usually just skim the topics. You can quickly identify the topics that you are interested in.
I find these bargains demoralizing.

When I plan my travel, sometimes a year ahead, I can't speculate that a bargain will become available for my destination and time-frame. And so I book whatever is best at the time of booking.

Several months later I learn from blogs that I could have saved hundreds of dollars if I had waited! I realize that it's not my fault. I know that it's a hindsight bias. I am aware of the silent evidence of other fares I've bought at a right time at a right price. But the loss aversion looms big.

When I was working, I thought that I would be able to take advantage of random bargains. But the opposite is true: I treat my leisure seriously and don't want to leave it to chance.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

VictoriaF wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:51 am
When I was working, I thought that I would be able to take advantage of random bargains. But the opposite is true: I treat my leisure seriously and don't want to leave it to chance.
My hope is that once I am retired from my job, I will have more flexibility to jump on bargain deals popping up, it won’t mean that every trip will be last minute and dictated by available deals, though. Some will require longer term planning, especially if it involves other people. But it will hopefully be a mix.

I should get started on putting that mental bucket list of places to go into a more concrete form and do some pre-planning, so when that great deal to Athens, Greece pops up, I can just move it to the top of my list and book it.
Nords

Post by Nords »

Ketawa wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:20 am New policy from Chase, active duty military can be exempted from annual fees for cards opened after September 20, 2017 due to Chase's interpretation/implementation of the Military Lending Act (MLA). https://www.doctorofcredit.com/military ... est/#Chase
Interesting. Thanks. I'd never dug into the discussion of fees being part of the percentage rate.

American Express has also waived annual fees for active-duty military on their card (I think it's the platinum version) even though a card issuer might arguably claim that they offer substantially more benefits as part of the fee.
* | * | Please see my profile for my next book. I don't read every post, so please PM or e-mail me to get my attention.
Ketawa

Post by Ketawa »

Nords wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:07 am
Ketawa wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:20 am New policy from Chase, active duty military can be exempted from annual fees for cards opened after September 20, 2017 due to Chase's interpretation/implementation of the Military Lending Act (MLA). https://www.doctorofcredit.com/military ... est/#Chase
Interesting. Thanks. I'd never dug into the discussion of fees being part of the percentage rate.

American Express has also waived annual fees for active-duty military on their card (I think it's the platinum version) even though a card issuer might arguably claim that they offer substantially more benefits as part of the fee.
Supposedly the annual fee being included in the interest rate under the MLA only applies if it is not a bona fide fee for benefits. I think Chase has probably gone beyond what would be required under the law. Or maybe there is enough of a gray area that they want to avoid any potential issues down the road from someone claiming the fees are not appropriate for the benefits. Who knows.

AMEX has waived annual fees on all their cards under their interpretation of the SCRA. I haven't paid an annual fee in 6 years of having the AMEX Blue Cash Preferred. I also have their Platinum, Premier Rewards Gold, Starwood Preferred Guest, Hilton Surpass, and Platinum Delta SkyMiles solely for the free benefits (annual travel credits used towards gift certificates, priority boarding, hotel status, free checked bags, etc). They also are going beyond the requirements of the law by applying it to cards opened after entering the military.

To my knowledge, Chase and AMEX are now the only major card issuers with military exempt from annual fees for cards opened after joining the military.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

Jags4186 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:54 am
VictoriaF wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:48 am Does anyone know if any department stores sell Amazon gift cards? I have missed most of the 3Q2017 Chase Freedom 5x rewards and was hoping to pick up some this quarter.

Victoria
I just plan on buying VGCs at Walmart. Have car insurance to pay this quarter so easy enough to drain there.

I doubt department stores would be selling gift cards to the company putting them all out of business.
What does WM charge for VGC's? Couldn't you also just buy MO's or do you choose not to MS?
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

BW1985 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:46 am
VictoriaF wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:48 am Does anyone know if any department stores sell Amazon gift cards? I have missed most of the 3Q2017 Chase Freedom 5x rewards and was hoping to pick up some this quarter.

Victoria
I just plan on buying VGCs at Walmart. Have car insurance to pay this quarter so easy enough to drain there.

I doubt department stores would be selling gift cards to the company putting them all out of business.
What does WM charge for VGC's? Couldn't you also just buy MO's or do you choose not to MS?
Walmart charges $4.94 for a VGC.

Can't buy MOs with a credit card so you need to go Credit-->VGC-->MO

Where I live I only have an outlet for Incomm Vanilla VGCs so my MS has slowed down to basically nothing. Walmart doesn't sell that brand by me so I have to actually spend through the VGCs I buy from them. I like to drain all of my VGCs no more than a few hours after getting them to combat fraud/forgetfulness/possibilities of changes to liquidation methods so I when I buy from Walmart I need to have something to spend the money on. I have insurance premiums to pay this quarter so that will be my way of getting a little extra. I earn 7500 UR by buying 3 VGCs from Walmart, that's $112.50 in value once I transfer to my CSR. If I paid my insurance direct I'd only get 2 MR points with my AMEX Blue Business Plus. So it's just a little something extra (and I am one of those weirdos who has fun doing this!)
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

Jags4186 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:29 pm
BW1985 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:46 am

Victoria

Walmart charges $4.94 for a VGC.

Can't buy MOs with a credit card so you need to go Credit-->VGC-->MO

Where I live I only have an outlet for Incomm Vanilla VGCs so my MS has slowed down to basically nothing. Walmart doesn't sell that brand by me so I have to actually spend through the VGCs I buy from them. I like to drain all of my VGCs no more than a few hours after getting them to combat fraud/forgetfulness/possibilities of changes to liquidation methods so I when I buy from Walmart I need to have something to spend the money on. I have insurance premiums to pay this quarter so that will be my way of getting a little extra. I earn 7500 UR by buying 3 VGCs from Walmart, that's $112.50 in value once I transfer to my CSR. If I paid my insurance direct I'd only get 2 MR points with my AMEX Blue Business Plus. So it's just a little something extra (and I am one of those weirdos who has fun doing this!)
Gotcha. So does WM near you not accept their VGC's for MO's? I know the whole WM/MO thing is highly YMMV but they are not hard coded to deny GC's.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

BW1985 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:41 pm Gotcha. So does WM near you not accept their VGC's for MO's? I know the whole WM/MO thing is highly YMMV but they are not hard coded to deny GC's.
Walmart by me demands to see the card with ID before swiping and always denies gift cards (even ones bought online with your name embossed). I’ve tried at multiple locations multiple times. All the grocery stores by me have gone cash only. It was a really sad day when A&P went out of business.

I think back upon it...it was only a few years ago I could walk to A&P, buy $10k in VGCs, liquidate the same GCs at the same A&P, and deposit in the local credit union on the other side of the complex. I would even grab a Dunkin‘ Donuts iced coffee before walking home.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

Jags4186 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:59 pm
BW1985 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:41 pm Gotcha. So does WM near you not accept their VGC's for MO's? I know the whole WM/MO thing is highly YMMV but they are not hard coded to deny GC's.
Walmart by me demands to see the card with ID before swiping and always denies gift cards (even ones bought online with your name embossed). I’ve tried at multiple locations multiple times. All the grocery stores by me have gone cash only. It was a really sad day when A&P went out of business.

I think back upon it...it was only a few years ago I could walk to A&P, buy $10k in VGCs, liquidate the same GCs at the same A&P, and deposit in the local credit union on the other side of the complex. I would even grab a Dunkin‘ Donuts iced coffee before walking home.
Gotcha. Lol that's amazing. Good ol' days. I have not tried WM/Cub/Hyvee near me as I just learned about MS.

Reading over at FT today it sounds like Amex has stopped counting some VGC purchases (such as simon mall) for spend to get opening bonus. This game seems to be shrinking and shrinking..
Gemini

Post by Gemini »

Spouse and I both signed up for chase sapphire reserve last year.
Spouse got charged Oct 1 for the $450/fee
I got charged Sept 1 for the $450/fee

We don't really have a need for two CSRcards. We both also have Chase Freedom and Chase Freedom Unlimited. Have tons of points on CSR cards.

1. Do we have any recourse in getting the fee back, maybe for the spouse?
2. What is best strategy? If spouse fee can be refunded, downgrade to chase sapphire preferred for spouse or add her onto as user on my CSR?
student

Post by student »

DiMAn0684

Post by DiMAn0684 »

student wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:51 pm A new card for those who use Uber.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/uber-cre ... nnual-fee/
It does not have much to do with Uber outside of branding. Redemption options are at the same rate for Uber as for other things.
drk

Post by drk »

Gemini wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:31 pm Spouse and I both signed up for chase sapphire reserve last year.

We don't really have a need for two CSRcards. We both also have Chase Freedom and Chase Freedom Unlimited. Have tons of points on CSR cards.

2. What is best strategy? If spouse fee can be refunded, downgrade to chase sapphire preferred for spouse or add her onto as user on my CSR?
1. Yes in both cases. Spouse can cancel or downgrade and have the AF refunded. Since you're still within 60 days of the AF posting, you can downgrade to another card and get the full AF refunded.
2. The best strategy depends on your spending. Spouse can downgrade their CSR to another Freedom, giving the two of you a 50% higher cap in quarterly bonus spending. Adding Spouse as an AU on your CSR will ensure that dining/travel spending continues to get 3%.
A useful razor: anyone asking about speculative strategies on Bogleheads.org has no business using them.
student

Post by student »

DiMAn0684 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:03 pm

It does not have much to do with Uber outside of branding. Redemption options are at the same rate for Uber as for other things.
Oh right. Missed that. It is even better now.
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy »

DiMAn0684 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:03 pm

BUT: 4% cash back on dining? I haven't seen a card that pays that much on restaurants. I've literally never taken an Uber, but I'd consider getting this card just for the 4% at restaurants.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

FedGuy wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:22 am BUT: 4% cash back on dining? I haven't seen a card that pays that much on restaurants. I've literally never taken an Uber, but I'd consider getting this card just for the 4% at restaurants.
Unless you don't like airline rewards, 3% from CSR as ultimate rewards points may well be better than 4% cash back, as you can generally get > 1.3 cents per UR point. Heck, you can get 1.5 cents per point on the Chase portal.

But if you just want cash back, 4% is certainly really good.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

drk wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:08 pm
1. Yes in both cases. Spouse can cancel or downgrade and have the AF refunded. Since you're still within 60 days of the AF posting, you can downgrade to another card and get the full AF refunded.
I don't believe that is correct at least for outright cancellation (no idea on downgrade). Chase changed their cancellations policies in late 2016. The terms on the Chase card I cancelled in early 2017 state that you have 30-days or one billing cycle (which ever is shorter) from the time Chase cuts the bill with the charge on it and NOT when the charge is posted. For example if the AF posts on 2/1 but your bill was cut on 2/17 and your next statement date is 3/17 you basically have until 3/17 to cancel the card and get a refund. Some Chase CSRs misunderstand the rule as when the charge was posted which is wrong. I went through this and had to press but got my refund even though it was 45 days from when the charge posted as I was still (just) within the billing cycle. I had to send them a quote of their terms via SM before I got my refund though.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

Gemini wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:31 pm Spouse and I both signed up for chase sapphire reserve last year.

Spouse should cancel/downgrade. Don't need to downgrade to CSP, can downgrade to a freedom or unlimited. AU on CSR will cost $75 a year, instead you could secure message Chase and say that the chip doesn't always work and ask for another one to be sent to you. I've never had a problem using my wife's card or vice versa.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Just happened to check a credit card to see if I had any remaining points before canceling. Good thing I did. $865 fraudulent purchase at Bloomingdales online. Called and it was wiped out immediately. I'm not very good about looking at old sign up bonus cards that I have yet to cancel. Pain in the rear but I need to go through some older cards and cancel them.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
Gemini

Post by Gemini »

Thank you all for the replies.

We don't really use the chase freedom unlimited much esp spouse. Would not be worth it for her to get Chase unlimited.

1. Is it worth it to pay $75/annum for AU on CSR?
2. When downgrading, what happens to all the points?
3. How exactly to downgrade i.e. call chase, secure message chase (if so, how to word it)?
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Gemini wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:44 am Thank you all for the replies.

We don't really use the chase freedom unlimited much esp spouse. Would not be worth it for her to get Chase unlimited.

3. How exactly to downgrade i.e. call chase, secure message chase (if so, how to word it)?
1. Depends upon her usage of the card.
2. Transfer the points to another card of hers or yours (your CSR is probably the best choice) prior to downgrading. But the points would probably move to the new card.
3. I have done it with a call. Just tell them you think the new card would meet your needs better. And remember that by downgrading, you will forego the bonus points for a new sign-up for that particular card so that might be a consideration in which card you wish to downgrade to.
Gemini

Post by Gemini »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:55 am

2. Transfer the points to another card of hers or yours (your CSR is probably the best choice) prior to downgrading. But the points would probably move to the new card.
3. I have done it with a call. Just tell them you think the new card would meet your needs better. And remember that by downgrading, you will forego the bonus points for a new sign-up for that particular card so that might be a consideration in which card you wish to downgrade to.
1. Currently, we put everything besides food/travel on chase unlimited. When we eat/travel, it is almost always together, and I already have a CSR. Is there any advantage I am missing with CSR? If not, would CSP would be any better or one of the free cards?
2. transferring points to my CSR - can she call over the telephone and get this done? Or do I Have to get involved as it is my card getting the points?
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Gemini wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:04 am

1. Currently, we put everything besides food/travel on chase unlimited. When we eat/travel, it is almost always together, and I already have a CSR. Is there any advantage I am missing with CSR? If not, would CSP would be any better or one of the free cards?
2. transferring points to my CSR - can she call over the telephone and get this done? Or do I Have to get involved as it is my card getting the points?
1a. Not that I am aware of, but there may be some minor travel benefits that I am not aware of.
1b. If I were going to get a CSP, I would apply for one (rather than downgrade) to get the sign-up bonus. But I don't see any advantage to a downgrade to a CSP for you.
2. You can do it via her online account. I think you are allowed transfer UR points to only one household member. Go to her Ultimate Rewards section on her account, then "Select Card" --> dropdown menu on # of points --> combine points
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

pennstater2005 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:21 am Just happened to check a credit card to see if I had any remaining points before canceling. Good thing I did. $865 fraudulent purchase at Bloomingdales online. Called and it was wiped out immediately. I'm not very good about looking at old sign up bonus cards that I have yet to cancel. Pain in the rear but I need to go through some older cards and cancel them.
If you were not canceling the card, when would you have caught the fraudulent charge?

I regularly check the cards I use, but there are some that are dormant and mostly ignored. I wonder if I need to change my process.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
flamesabers

Post by flamesabers »

VictoriaF wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:17 pm I regularly check the cards I use, but there are some that are dormant and mostly ignored. I wonder if I need to change my process.
For your dormant cards do you have alerts set up so that you'll get an email or text if a transaction is processed on one of your unused cards?
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

flamesabers wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:30 pm
VictoriaF wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:17 pm I regularly check the cards I use, but there are some that are dormant and mostly ignored. I wonder if I need to change my process.
For your dormant cards do you have alerts set up so that you'll get an email or text if a transaction is processed on one of your unused cards?
I do!

Victoria
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

Victoria
I have Email/SMS alerts set up on all my cards.

But I also have a recurring item in my to-do list to review and pay my cards every weekend. I look at the balances of all my idle cards to make sure I am not missing any unexpected charges and review the charges on my active cards for anomalies. Takes me maybe five minutes. I have a google docs spreadsheet with all vital information about every card that I use to make sure I don’t skip an old card.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

VictoriaF wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:17 pm
pennstater2005 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:21 am Just happened to check a credit card to see if I had any remaining points before canceling. Good thing I did. $865 fraudulent purchase at Bloomingdales online. Called and it was wiped out immediately. I'm not very good about looking at old sign up bonus cards that I have yet to cancel. Pain in the rear but I need to go through some older cards and cancel them.
If you were not canceling the card, when would you have caught the fraudulent charge?

I regularly check the cards I use, but there are some that are dormant and mostly ignored. I wonder if I need to change my process.

Victoria
Good point and my point as well. I am bad at that. I probably wouldn't have caught it until a late notice was sent. This weekend I'm going to go through all the cards, check balances, and mostly likely cancel. A bit of a hit to the credit but better than dealing with this.

How about the package came from Bloomingdales! To my house! I called Bloomingdales and they already had it marked as fraud so the credit card company must've contacted them. I printed a return label and am sending it back today. She said the fraudsters will have it shipped normally and then change the address, I just caught it soon enough.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
Gemini

Post by Gemini »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:59 am

1a. Not that I am aware of, but there may be some minor travel benefits that I am not aware of.
1b. If I were going to get a CSP, I would apply for one (rather than downgrade) to get the sign-up bonus. But I don't see any advantage to a downgrade to a CSP for you.
2. You can do it via her online account. I think you are allowed transfer UR points to only one household member. Go to her Ultimate Rewards section on her account, then "Select Card" --> dropdown menu on # of points --> combine points

1. Should I transfer points to me BEFORE I downgrade her card?
2. Moving forwards, won't her points be not as valuable as she won't have one of the cards that allows for Ultimate Rewards points redemption?
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

1. I doubt that it matters. I would probably do it before just to make things simpler and avoid potential issues.
2. If she can transfer them to your CSR, they will be indistinguishable (and just as valuable) as your UR points on the CSR card. If she transfers them to her own Freedom, Freedom Unlimited, etc, then yes, they will be less valuable than they would be on a CSP or CSR card.
student

Post by student »

Gemini wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:39 pm
Doom&Gloom wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:59 am

1. Should I transfer points to me BEFORE I downgrade her card?
2. Moving forwards, won't her points be not as valuable as she won't have one of the cards that allows for Ultimate Rewards points redemption?
I think when you redeem for travel at UR portal, you get 1.5 cents per point if you have CSR but only 1.25 cents per point if you only have CSP. https://thepointsguy.com/guide/chase-sa ... e-reserve/
travellight

Post by travellight »

beehappy wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:40 am
Thanks. Does same rule apply to MQMs from flights? So if I flew with Delta on Dec. 30, and miles post on January 3, would those miles count toward 2017 MQM progress?
I think it is not enough to meet the mqm threshold of 25k; you also have to spend 3k on Delta flights or fly 30 segments.
beehappy

Post by beehappy »

travellight wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:13 am
beehappy wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:40 am
I think it is not enough to meet the mqm threshold of 25k; you also have to spend 3k on Delta flights or fly 30 segments.
I've met all the other requirements, except for MQMs.