Wife New Car Recommendations - SUV

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Cmpliance

Wife New Car Recommendations - SUV

Post by Cmpliance »

Hi All,

My wife is wanting a new car (currently has a 2010 Nissan Cube that she absolutely hates) so we are entertaining the idea of starting to look for cars. I asked her what she wants in a car and she said "just to look cool and have good features" so it is clear that she doesn't really care about performance or anything, just a car she has to "like"

With that said, she's given me a list of the following cars:

Mazda CX-5
Jeep Cherokee
Hyundai Tucsan

I've owned a lot of Mazdas in my life so I am a little bias and am leaning towards that, but wanted to see if anyone owns one of those or would suggest another option to look at.

Budget would be in/around $20K and we need it to be a SUV, will be transporting a baby sooner or later, have AWD or the ability to get up to the snow in Tahoe and just nice features for her (which doesn't need to be a lot seeing that she comes from a Cube). I am open and prefer "new used" cars as well so throw out some cars maybe a few years old.
Rupert

Re: Wife New Car Recommendations - SUV

Post by Rupert »

Hyundai Santa Fe Sport (note that "Sport" is important -- other varieties of Santa Fes are actually largers SUVs, in same class with Honda Pilot, etc.)
Kia Sportage
Toyota RAV4
Honda CR-V
Ford Escape
Nissan Rogue
Subaru Forester

The Mazda you're looking at gets good reviews if you like the styling.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I have a 2015 CX-5 and am very happy with it. The thing I am not happy about is it has gotten a lot of good reviews and now is pretty popular. I didn't want a RAV4 or CR-V because they are very common (among other reasons), but the CX-5s are popping up all over now.

I test drove the Tuscan, but that was before the redo. I found the ride to be like driving a bus. The CX-5 has a fun, sporty feel. I previously had a Grand Cherokee and was thinking of staying with Jeep. the Cherokee just looked cheap and small inside to me.

With only 3 vehicles on her list, it should be easy to test drive them all and check them out. Most are going to be more than $20k though unless you get them barebones.
dbr

Post by dbr »

I would not say any SUV is going to make your wife or anyone else look "cool." The SUV is to today's automotive market what the minivan was a few years ago and the station wagon before that. Perhaps an alternative would be something like this: http://www.lotuscars.com/elise-sport but to do this at a reasonable cost might be met by this: https://www.mazdausa.com/vehicles/mx-5-miata When we were driving station wagons or a Ford Fairlane I had a cousin who really was cool and drove this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MG_MGA and another relative who drove this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_356 and he was cool too.
Topic Author
Cmpliance

Post by Cmpliance »

Also, any good recommendations to see what true pricing I can get with rebates/incentives. I plan to pay all cash, but from what I've heard, it is best to negotiate saying you're going to use a loan and then pay it off at first payment (dealerships make more money when people finance and is why they are willing to negotiate more from what I've heard.)
soccerrules

Post by soccerrules »

dbr wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:54 am I would not say any SUV is going to make your wife or anyone else look "cool." The SUV is to today's automotive market what the minivan was a few years ago and the station wagon before that.
:D That's funny. My wife can't/won't drive a minivan.

OP
We have owned S-10 Blazer, Nissan Xterra, Dodge Durango and GMC Yukon XL. Other family has had Saturn Vue, Jeep Cherokee and Liberty and Honda CRV.
If it is look and coolness she is after you are just going to have to let her "feel" the car. If you/she are not interested in value,performance or longevity then set a price range and let her shop for what she wants.
Don't let your outflow exceed your income or your upkeep will be your downfall.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

HardHitter wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:24 am Hi All,

My wife is wanting a new car (currently has a 2010 Nissan Cube that she absolutely hates) so we are entertaining the idea of starting to look for cars. I asked her what she wants in a car and she said "just to look cool and have good features" so it is clear that she doesn't really care about performance or anything, just a car she has to "like"

Mazda CX-5
Jeep Cherokee
Hyundai Tucsan

I've owned a lot of Mazdas in my life so I am a little bias and am leaning towards that, but wanted to see if anyone owns one of those or would suggest another option to look at.

Budget would be in/around $20K and we need it to be a SUV, will be transporting a baby sooner or later, have AWD or the ability to get up to the snow in Tahoe and just nice features for her (which doesn't need to be a lot seeing that she comes from a Cube). I am open and prefer "new used" cars as well so throw out some cars maybe a few years old.
Keep her entertaining the idea until she runs the current car into the ground. Might another 7-10 years? If you cave in, this time it's a cool looking SUV, next time it'll be a McMansion :oops: Make sure she understand what needs vs. wants. :twisted:

Just kidding.. Just get your wife what she wants. Nissan Rouge maybe?
Time is the ultimate currency.
Topic Author
Cmpliance

Post by Cmpliance »

soccerrules wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:34 am
dbr wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:54 am I would not say any SUV is going to make your wife or anyone else look "cool." The SUV is to today's automotive market what the minivan was a few years ago and the station wagon before that.

OP
We have owned S-10 Blazer, Nissan Xterra, Dodge Durango and GMC Yukon XL. Other family has had Saturn Vue, Jeep Cherokee and Liberty and Honda CRV.
If it is look and coolness she is after you are just going to have to let her "feel" the car. If you/she are not interested in value,performance or longevity then set a price range and let her shop for what she wants.
That's basically where we are at. She has $20K to find a "cool" car but I still have some limitations to that. Something that doesn't have X amount of miles if she's buying new, especially if it is a high maintenance cost type car.

We will see this weekend when we check out the cars.
dbr

Post by dbr »

If it is to be a jeep this model is one that starts to be cool and it isn't all that expensive: https://www.jeep.com/wrangler.html/
soccerrules

Post by soccerrules »

HardHitter wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:17 pm
soccerrules wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:34 am

OP
That's basically where we are at. She has $20K to find a "cool" car but I still have some limitations to that. Something that doesn't have X amount of miles if she's buying new, especially if it is a high maintenance cost type car.

We will see this weekend when we check out the cars.
Yep, that's what we do when buying pre-owned-- price range, age range and mileage parameters. Test Drive for feel/features and condition of car. I have typically spent $100-$200 to have a mechanic check it out for things I can't see.

Good luck and let us know what you get. :beer
squirm

Post by squirm »

I thought we needed a suv when baby arrived. I was wrong. Ended up buying a pos Saturn.
I buy new, because just yesterday two cars on both sides of me on the freeway the dudes were digging big time. Gross.
cashisking500

Post by cashisking500 »

Absolutely go with the Mazda CX-5. Tons of options for the price point (plus great performance). Solid vehicles and I don't see my wife and I owning anything else but a Mazda moving forward.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Was it "cool" factor that lead you to purchasing the Nissan Cube? :shock:

A small to midsize SUV probably isn't going to fall into the "cool" category. I would start to think about ride comfort, safety (kid on board) and reliability.

Perhaps look for the nicest used Lexus RX 350 that falls into your ~$20k budget. With a few searches, that looks like a car with ~55-60k miles. Used, but still a lot of life left.

A Rav4, CR-V, CX-3, CX-5 and others in that small/mid SUV range probably fall outside your budget for the latest models. If everyone is buying that sized SUV, then maybe looking to a mid sized sedan would get you a better price point.

Lots of variables and options. Good luck!
greg24

Post by greg24 »

soccerrules wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:34 am :D That's funny. My wife can't/won't drive a minivan.
Username does not check out.
soccerrules

Post by soccerrules »

greg24 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:50 pm
soccerrules wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:34 am :D That's funny. My wife can't/won't drive a minivan.
Username does not check out.
Touche :shock:
Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 »

I would also consider the Subaru Outback since you mentioned driving in the snow.
Topic Author
Cmpliance

Post by Cmpliance »

bloom2708 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:48 pm Was it "cool" factor that lead you to purchasing the Nissan Cube? :shock:

A small to midsize SUV probably isn't going to fall into the "cool" category. I would start to think about ride comfort, safety (kid on board) and reliability.

Perhaps look for the nicest used Lexus RX 350 that falls into your ~$20k budget. With a few searches, that looks like a car with ~55-60k miles. Used, but still a lot of life left.

A Rav4, CR-V, CX-3, CX-5 and others in that small/mid SUV range probably fall outside your budget for the latest models. If everyone is buying that sized SUV, then maybe looking to a mid sized sedan would get you a better price point.

Lots of variables and options. Good luck!
Hah, the Cube wasn't something she had to decide on. Her car got totaled (drunk driver crashed into it during the night while it was parked) and her Mom said "we found a great car" and sent it to her. To make it worse, the Mom took a HORRIBLE loan on the car and said "here you go". This all happened before we were married and I knew about the finances, but yes, I was pissed off to see that she put her own kid in this situation.

I'll take a look at the other options!
Lou354

Post by Lou354 »

Honda CR-V AWD has a lot of the latest safety/sensor features at only one trim level above the base model. So good value for your money in my opinion. I also like the Subaru Outback.
harrington

Post by harrington »

The only cool SUV is a Jeep Wrangler....I'd wait for the new one.
knpstr

Post by knpstr »

HardHitter wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:24 am I asked her what she wants in a car and she said "just to look cool and have good features"
Go with the Jaguar F-Pace (yes it is ~double your budget)
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

harrington wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:16 pm The only cool SUV is a Jeep Wrangler....I'd wait for the new one.
The nice thing about a 2 door Wrangler is that the 15 year old one and brand new one ride exactly the same.

Friend bought a new Wrangler 5 speed with soft top. We live in a cold climate. With the soft top, road noise and "year round" air conditioning to go with the constant manual shifting, there was no need for a radio.

The 4 door ones extended the wheelbase and I think they ride better. Can you imagine putting a car seat int he back of a 2 door Wrangler? The tiny trunk wouldn't even fit a set of golf clubs or a stroller. "Cool" sometimes doesn't add up.

Friend sold his Wrangler after about 16 months. He checked cool off the bucket list.
Cieren

Post by Cieren »

We bought a 2017 CX-5 about a month ago, and I have basically one nitpick with it at this point, which is that it doesn't come with Android/Apple Auto. Frustrating! However, Mazda has indicated this feature is coming "soon" and that it will most likely be backwards compatible with some of the newer Mazdas, so I'm hopeful.

The biggest point in its favor over some of the other models we looked at was that it is extremely quiet inside. 2017 had a bit of a refresh, with Mazda adding acoustic glass and additional acoustic paneling, apparently.

The interior also feels really nice and both myself (5 ft 4) and my husband (6 ft 2) find both the driver's and passengers' seats to be comfortable, including the back. We managed to squeeze myself, our 6 ft 8 friend, and another buddy in the back seat two weeks ago - it wasn't the most comfy situation ever, but it was definitely doable, and all three of us are a bit chubby.

I also happen to find it pretty - we got a bright red one, and I'm in love with it. We like the way it handles, and plan on driving it into the ground, basically.
dbr

Post by dbr »

harrington wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:16 pm The only cool SUV is a Jeep Wrangler....I'd wait for the new one.
Yes, my thought exactly.
ryuns

Post by ryuns »

Cieren wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:16 pm

The interior also feels really nice and both myself (5 ft 4) and my husband (6 ft 2) find both the driver's and passengers' seats to be comfortable, including the back. We managed to squeeze myself, our 6 ft 8 friend, and another buddy in the back seat two weeks ago - it wasn't the most comfy situation ever, but it was definitely doable, and all three of us are a bit chubby.
That's impressive! Some friends have a 2016 CX-5--great car but my biggest impression was how small that back seat was relative to the rest of the car. My Honda HR-V is nearly a foot shorter toe to tip but has a bigger back seat. Otherwise, they're fantastic cars.
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

I test drove the CX-5 and the Tuscon, but won't even consider the Jeep because Consumer Reports gives the Jeep very low ratings. I agree with other posters that you won't get any of these vehicles new for $20K. The handling and look of the CX-5 are very appealing to me, but the seats are firmer than I would like. The Tucson has comfortable seats, but much less zoom zoom than the CX-5. The older (2014) Mazdas are rated as more reliable than the older Tucsons.

Other options I'm considering, but have not yet driven:

Subaru Crosstrek. It's much smaller than your listed vehicles, so it may not be what your wife is looking for. It's probably not really what I'm looking for either, and I'm not interested in any of the other Subaru models.

Kia Sportage: It's actually highly rated by Consumer Reports. "Unlike the similar Hyundai Tucson, the Sportage benefits from the pairing of a larger engine and a conventional automatic transmission, which combine to give it smoother power delivery."

Edited to add: I asked my mechanic if he recommended CX-5 or Tucson and he didn't hesitate: CX-5 all the way. He was very opposed to the idea of the Tucson. (FYI, I am a current Hyundai owner so am not opposed to the brand at all.) He highly recommends the Crosstrek and owns two of them.

Let us know what you/your wife decides.
Last edited by Colorado14 on Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
daveydoo

Post by daveydoo »

HardHitter wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:24 am

Mazda CX-5
Jeep Cherokee
Hyundai Tucsan
Never seen an easier decision articulated on BH :D . CX-5 all the way. It's not just that the CX-5 is excellent but that the others are terrible on so many levels. If there had been a CR-V or a Toyota or Subaru in there, might be a more complex discussion. Even then, CX-5 is best in class, imo.
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin »

With those choices, you can't be a CX-5.

Too bad that they don't offer CarPlay or Android Auto integration - its' the Achille's tendon of Mazda right now for me. I'm a former loyalist who has defected to Chevrolet until they get their act together on this issue.
Vanrnr

Post by Vanrnr »

Another vote for the cx 5. Had it a month and she loves it. Zoom zoom! Very quiet unless under hard acceleration.
slayed

Post by slayed »

I bought a new 2016 CX-5 last year, have 20k miles on it at this point. Really happy with it would buy again.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Find an absolutely Mint condition garage kept extremely low mileage Honda Element AWD.
Senior owned. Only driven on Sunday to the corner store. :D

If not, Toyota SUV with AWD.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

If you want AWD, get the Forester or Outback, whichever your wife likes more.

If not, get the Mazda CX-5.

Either way you’ll want good winter tires for snow/ice.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
slayed

Post by slayed »

The CX-5 is also available with AWD.
tuningfork

Post by tuningfork »

I have a Jeep Cherokee and really like it. No troubles. I've owned many 4WD/AWD cars over the years and the Jeeps have always been best in the snow, followed by Audi. Can't get one for $20K though. If you look at used Cherokees to get to your price point, avoid the 2014-15 model years. The upcoming 2019 model (avail early 2018) will have Android Auto/Carplay and a restyled exterior.

Closer to your $20K price, a friend has a Subaru Crosstrek. Nice little car. Interior is a little cheap for me but that's your price point.
badbreath

Post by badbreath »

I own the Mazda CX-5 and really like the ride and handling. If looking at the CX-5 you want to look at a touring to get the bigger engine.
“While money can’t buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” Groucho Marx
motorcyclesarecool

Post by motorcyclesarecool »

My wife loves her Nissan Rogue. Take one for a test drive.
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

motorcyclesarecool wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:57 pm My wife loves her Nissan Rogue. Take one for a test drive.
I test drove the Rogue and was very underwhelmed by it, so crossed it off my list of contenders. Maybe I should have driven a different trim level though. The CX-5 was a lot more fun to drive and is much more stylish, but that's just my two cents. I'm certainly in no position to criticize anyone's choice, that's not what I'm doing, I'm just sharing my impressions.
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

Vanrnr wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:55 am Another vote for the cx 5. Had it a month and she loves it. Zoom zoom! Very quiet unless under hard acceleration.
How interesting... During one of my test drives of the CX-5, the salesperson said he had received a few complaints that it was loud. I thought it was very quiet (so I'm happy to read that has been your experience) and also thought the salesperson missed the mark on that.

I loved the zoom zoom too!
Topic Author
Cmpliance

Post by Cmpliance »

Thanks guys! We are going to the dealerships tomorrow to check out cars and maybe test drive them. I'll provide an updated list!
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

slayed wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:39 pm The CX-5 is also available with AWD.
Not all AWDs are created equal. Subaru’s AWD is considered the best. That said, looks like Maxda’s CX-5 “I-ACTIVE AWD” system is just as good as Subaru’s. Impressive.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
CULater

Post by CULater »

In the SUV class you're thinking about the two top ones in reviews are the CX-5 and the CRV. Both upgraded their ride and quietness for 2017, much improved over previous models. The reviews still give a slight edge to the CRV over the CX-5, but it's close. The CRV has a new engine in models above the LX, a 1.5 L turbo 4, and it has a CVT transmission. The CX-5 has a conventional 2.5 L 4 cyl engine and conventional transmission. It came down to those two for me. Frankly, I thought the CX-5 engine/drivetrain was smoother, and it is sportier to drive. The interior in leather is very nice, as in the CRV also. I thought the CRV was roomier and I liked the ride a little better. That sporty ride in the CX-5 requires a stiffer suspension. i also wanted Android Auto, which Mazda was promising but I guess still hasn't materialized. So far, I'm very happy with the CRV. We'll see if the turbo and the CVT in the CRV hold up as well as I would expect a conventional non-turbo 4 and geared transmission to hold up. Since it's a Honda I'm hopeful all will be well.
On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

Three members of my family have the Cx-5, and all love theirs.

One other car not yet mentioned: the Honda HR-V. A bit smaller than the CR-V, and I like the styling much better.
Topic Author
Cmpliance

Post by Cmpliance »

So we were supposed to test drive cars today but my wife said "she was too tired" so plans changed.

I actually ended up meeting up with a friend who has a 2014 Mercedes E63 AMG which he let me take for a quick spin. I own a 2012 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 as a daily driver and a 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo and was quite impressed with the AMG. Will be starting a new thread on that, but for this thread, let's keep it to my wife's car haha.

She's starting to "expand" her list to now more "high end" cars. I told her it is fine to get a Audi/Benz, but it needs to be within the budget ($20K) in which obviously we wouldn't be able to get new and would need to probably get a significantly used car. I told her that if she can find a properly maintained, "low mileage" car of those, then we can consider it.

So even though the CX5 is still a favorite to me, anyone have experience with Audi/Benz SUVs? Reliability? Cost of maintenance? etc. I do like the Q5...
Hazel-Rah

Post by Hazel-Rah »

Please get a Range Rover Velar. It is gorgeous. And in the same class as a Q5.

Lafder

Post by Lafder »

I was also car shopping a year ago and narrowed it down to

Subaru Forrester
Mazda Cx5
Toyota RAV4

We have had Toyotas and Subarus. I think the CRV should be considered, it just did not make my top 3. Same with the Hyundais. I did look, but the price point with all the features was close and I did not like it as much.

I considered a Subaru Cross Trek and a Mazda Cx3 but both were too small and noticeably underpowered for me from the inside. Exterior appearance, I really liked both a lot.

I liked the exterior of the Cx5 best, the interior design detail of the RAV4 best. But in the end, the visibility from the plain boring Forester along with the turbo won me over. I decided driving and visibility were more important to me than the exterior appearance.

Though I could afford more, I did not want to spend more. Final cost including tax, title, license for a fully loaded Forester Turbo with Eyesight and an extended warranty (I know some disagree on this, but I wanted peace of mind) was about 37k.

My husband came up with this car shopping tip that helped. Read about features online so you know what "model" you want. Go to all of the dealerships and sit in the cars. Do not drive, do not talk prices. (They will push you to do both). Figure out which cars you like and narrow it down to just a few this way. Then go back and only drive the top 2 or three. The driving takes much longer and it is really confusing to drive too many cars. So narrow it down to a few before driving.

With a set price point, CarMax may be a good option. Here they have the keys on the car so the salesperson can easily get you into a car without that forever wait to find the keys. We were able to drive more variety there faster. Though in the end I decided to go new.

Good luck!

lafder
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Hazel-Rah wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:36 pm Please get a Range Rover Velar. It is gorgeous. And in the same class as a Q5.

Kinda blows the $20k budget, doesn’t it?
Topic Author
Cmpliance

Post by Cmpliance »

Kenkat wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:52 am
Hazel-Rah wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:36 pm Please get a Range Rover Velar. It is gorgeous. And in the same class as a Q5.

Kinda blows the $20k budget, doesn’t it?
Yea, find me one for $20K lol

Seems like we have a good list. I'm on business trip this week, but hopefully she isn't "tired" to go look at cars next weekend.
Slacker

Post by Slacker »

dbr wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:24 pm If it is to be a jeep this model is one that starts to be cool and it isn't all that expensive: https://www.jeep.com/wrangler.html/
Just want to put this out there for anyone who has never driven a Wrangler, especially if it has offroad tires - the handling at highway speeds is very nerve wracking. It doesn't track well, has difficulty driving a straight line, and provides very little confidence.

I've only driven a 10yr old Wrangler and a 2yr old Rubicon. Both had big meaty off-road tires, and I now refuse any offers to borrow these cars from either owner. However, I like driving smaller vehicles so YMMV.
Slacker

Post by Slacker »

finite_difference wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:58 am If you want AWD, get the Forester or Outback, whichever your wife likes more.

If not, get the Mazda CX-5.

Either way you’ll want good winter tires for snow/ice.
The Outback is a very solid vehicle. Really thought highly of it on a test drive other than the controls/interior feeling a bit "dated"... (we test drove it after a Prius Prime and fell in love with the fancy "space age" look and feel in the Prius).
dbr

Post by dbr »

Slacker wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:40 pm
dbr wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:24 pm If it is to be a jeep this model is one that starts to be cool and it isn't all that expensive: https://www.jeep.com/wrangler.html/
Just want to put this out there for anyone who has never driven a Wrangler, especially if it has offroad tires - the handling at highway speeds is very nerve wracking. It doesn't track well, has difficulty driving a straight line, and provides very little confidence.

I've only driven a 10yr old Wrangler and a 2yr old Rubicon. Both had big meaty off-road tires, and I now refuse any offers to borrow these cars from either owner. However, I like driving smaller vehicles so YMMV.
Yes, one needs to activate one's sarcasm detector with respect to "cool" However for the true off-road enthusiast that car is cool.
Impromptu

Post by Impromptu »

In 9 out of 10 ways minivans are better than SUVs. The Toyota Sienna is even AWD. But if you really want a lesser quality class of people-mover, then the Mazda or the Honda are decent vehicles.
I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.