What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
House Blend

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by House Blend »

Saw this recently on Netflix:
In order of disappearance. (Original title: Kraftidioten).

An aging snowplow driver seeking revenge for the death of his drug addicted son ends up triggering a war between competing drug gangs.

It feels like the makers of this Norwegian movie were aiming for a sort of Fargo (the movie) or Tarantino black comedy, although the comic elements are more visual than dialogue-driven. (At least it seemed that way to me, watching it with subtitles. But who knows--sometimes a lot gets lost in translation.) Definitely not for the squeamish, but if you liked Fargo or The Hateful Eight, you might like this.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

I have just stumbled on the TV series, "Fresh off the Boat". Asian family opens a steakhouse in America.
As I share an Asian culture I found the variety of social and business situations hilarious.
A bit corny so probably won't watch all of them, but nonetheless, entertaining.
Culture clash, indeed. :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
hightower

Post by hightower »

Just watched "Art of the Game" a documentary about Japanese block printing and a couple of artists who are using the ancient art form to make video game themed art. It's pretty good
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

Marie Curie (2017)

The premise of this movie, about the renowned scientist Marie Curie,
could be roughly divided into thirds: one third about her work and
accomplishments in chemistry and physics with husband Pierre and
continued after his death, one third about roadblocks and difficulty
facing women trying to advance in the scientific community during
that era (circa 1900-1920), and one third about an affair with a
married scientist which endangered herself, her family, and her
reputation.
Too much focus on the affair diminishes the impact of the movie
somewhat but there are enough positive elements that make this a
worthwhile film. One interesting part was some lively scientific
rapport between Marie Curie and a young Albert Einstein.
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Battle of the Sexes. A very entertaining retelling of the Billie Jean King and Bobby Riggs tennis match. This certainly belongs on the short Best Movies of 2017 list.

Highly recommended.

https://www.seattletimes.com/entertainm ... -a-winner/
Woodshark

Post by Woodshark »

ruralavalon wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:43 am Death in Paradise, available on Netflix.

This is a BBC television series of 40 one-hour episodes, murder mysteries set in the British Virgin Islands and solved by a group of four police officers. We are about halfway through the series. This series is addictive, very good.
We really enjoyed the first season or so but they soon killed off the main character and wrote out a major secondary actor. It's OK but struggles in the later seasons.
Woodshark

Post by Woodshark »

abuss368 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:07 pm We recently started "The West Wing" on Netflix. The pilot episode was very good.
What a great show. Great characters with crisp, rapid fire dialog. You are in for season seasons of great viewing.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Woodshark wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:25 pm
ruralavalon wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:43 am Death in Paradise, available on Netflix.

This is a BBC television series of 40 one-hour episodes, murder mysteries set in the British Virgin Islands and solved by a group of four police officers. We are about halfway through the series. This series is addictive, very good.
We really enjoyed the first season or so but they soon killed off the main character and wrote out a major secondary actor. It's OK but struggles in the later seasons.
It took a few episodes before we could adjust to the new characters, but we still liked the later seasons.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

"The Accountant," pretty decent action flick starring Ben Affleck about a CPA/assassin with Asperger's Syndrome. Was pretty predictable and the plot was a tad silly, but that's an action flick. Interestingly, I have Asperger's and my wife has had several of her friends and co-workers who have told her that Affleck's character is what they assume I am like in real life...aside from the whole assassin thing (although I did in fact strongly consider going into military special forces), yeah, it was like watching myself on a screen.
Polymath

Post by Polymath »

Blade Runner 2049. Highly recommended if you are a scifi or film fan. Impressive accomplishment feeling like a genuine sequel of the original.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

House Blend wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:20 pm Saw this recently on Netflix:
In order of disappearance. (Original title: Kraftidioten).

An aging snowplow driver seeking revenge for the death of his drug addicted son ends up triggering a war between competing drug gangs.

It feels like the makers of this Norwegian movie were aiming for a sort of Fargo (the movie) or Tarantino black comedy, although the comic elements are more visual than dialogue-driven. (At least it seemed that way to me, watching it with subtitles. But who knows--sometimes a lot gets lost in translation.) Definitely not for the squeamish, but if you liked Fargo or The Hateful Eight, you might like this.
Thank you! I just watched this movie. I would have never known about it until I saw your post. I've seen Fargo and every Tarantino movie and liked this one a lot.

I agree, it's very much in the spirit of the Hateful Eight. I'd say it's a black comedy, gangster style. The comedy is indeed in the visual elements - pay attention to the background activity.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland »

Sandtrap wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:24 pm I have just stumbled on the TV series, "Fresh off the Boat". Asian family opens a steakhouse in America.
As I share an Asian culture I found the variety of social and business situations hilarious.
You should watch Master of None on Netflix.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

MrNewEngland wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:37 pm
Sandtrap wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:24 pm I have just stumbled on the TV series, "Fresh off the Boat". Asian family opens a steakhouse in America.
You should watch Master of None on Netflix.
Will Do
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
denismurf

Post by denismurf »

Blade Runner 2049.

Waaay too long, regardless of everything else. I loved the original, but found this one boring and unfocused. They never figured out who the bad guys were. Was it the Harrison Ford character? The moods and sound effects were as good as in the first round, but not good enough to make up for the lack of a coherent story. Too bad.

The makers will probably screw up Arrival when they make a sequel to that too.The only advantage of seeing this movie in a theater was that you got to watch plenty of previews of movies to skip.
jbuzolich

Post by jbuzolich »

Blade Runner. Really enjoyed the sequel as I'm a fan of the original. I definitely did not think it was too long. It ended and I could have happy had it keep going another half hour. I definitely recommend watching the three short films from different directors which depict the gap between the two blade runner films. They are on YouTube and other places and I felt it added a lot to my experience.
MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland »

Colossal.

I went into it afraid it was going to be a colossal waste of time but it was actually kinda good in a dumb quirky way. Anne Hathaway and Jason Sudakis played their roles perfectly. I kept expecting for the monster or the robot to be a metaphor but if they were I missed it.
Polymath

Post by Polymath »

denismurf wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:17 pm Blade Runner 2049.

Waaay too long, regardless of everything else. I loved the original, but found this one boring and unfocused. They never figured out who the bad guys were. Was it the Harrison Ford character? The moods and sound effects were as good as in the first round, but not good enough to make up for the lack of a coherent story. Too bad.
I don't know if this thread tolerates plot discussion (spoilers) but the movie is pretty clear on the "bad guys". Harrison Ford character was not a "bad guy".
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Spoilers have been done before. Here's how: Re: Please Try Out Test Posts Here
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
siamond

Post by siamond »

Blade Runner this afternoon. I agree with the 'way too long' comment, all scenes are drawn out and just last forever. Aside from that, I thought it was well done, the storyline did seem fairly coherent to me, and er, yeah, the bad guys were quite clearly identified (what is it with American movies that we always need this Manichean split - oh well). All the scenery, the special effects, the general atmosphere and also the acting were very well done. Some scenes were quite memorable (I will not spoil it!). But geez, the movie could have been 30 minutes shorter without cutting a single scene...

PS. was funny to see Admiral Adama in a small role!
Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf »

I got Moviepass recently and so am expecting to watch more movies than in the past. I watched 2 last week:

1) American Made starring Tom Cruise. This is about a pilot who gets caught up with the CIA and the drug/guns trade in Columbia/Central America in the 70s and 80s. I enjoyed this and would give it a B. Nothing earth shattering here but an enjoyable two hours. Cruise is good.

2) Marshall starring Chadwick Boseman. It's about a case Thurgood Marshall was involved in when he was an attorney for the NAACP. I'd give this a B, too. Boseman's performance is excellent, and the film is well crafted, but it's a bit heavy handed at times.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

Watched "Taking Chance" with Kevin Bacon as it was in the news last week. I didn't make it through the trailer without a tissue so be sure to break out a full box if you are watching with your SO.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Blade Runner 2049. I'm sorry I took the advice of several critics et al suggesting "see it on the largest screen possible." We did. The screen was great but the accompanying Dolby Sound actually shook seats at some points and was too loud throughout the screening. So hard to enjoy something that was literally close to painful (or was at times). I wonder what the decibles were?

Can't wait to see it on my 75 inch screen at home at tolerable volume, especially after reading several spoilers and explanations.

Here's a trivia question, sadly I don't have the answer. What movie included the line "at that intensity sound can kill." I remember the line, but can't find the movie. Maybe a 50s sci-fi? Godzilla?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I didn't see the movie, but a google search came up with: Gog (1954) - IMDb

You can find the quote here: Gog (1954) - Quotes - IMDb
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Wow! Thanks. Sadly I know I saw it in the theater in that time period and still remember the line. Not too far off: Godzilla v. Gog.
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

Blade Runner 2049.......i fell asleep.
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Dunkirk. An impressive technical achievement. But that's all it is. I'm not a fan of Christopher Nolan's films.

The Big Sick. A very enjoyable comedy-drama. Recommended.

Only the Brave. Old fashioned and well made. The cast is very good.
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

The Zookeeper's Wife

A husband and wife run a zoo in 1939 Warsaw, Poland. Their
love of animals goes beyond displaying them to the public for
profit but the German invasion of September 1, 1939 changes
everything. The zoo is damaged and taken over by Hitler's
Chief Zoologist who has an agenda of his own.
Saving Jews as well as a dwindling population of animals becomes
the primary objective of the zookeepers. Moving historical drama.
Recommended.
Rattlesnake

Post by Rattlesnake »

It rained today so we watched Baby Driver..... We liked it....
9th Infantry Division LRRP (Ranger) | 1968-69
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Suburbicon. Unpleasant people behaving badly with predictable results. Only marginally amusing. Not recommended.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Father Brown, on Netflix.

This is a BBC series of almost movie length 40 minute shows based on a G. K. Chesterton character, a Catholic Priest in a small English village who has a knack for investigating murders, kidnappings, art thefts, etc.

We are no yet done, but the series is great so far. The series has odd characters, unusual plots, beautiful photography, and a steady focus on atonement and redemption.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

ruralavalon wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:57 am Father Brown, on Netflix.

This is a BBC series of almost movie length 40 minute shows based on a G. K. Chesterton character, a Catholic Priest in a small English village who has a knack for investigating murders, kidnappings, art thefts, etc.

We are no yet done, but the series is great so far. The series has odd characters, unusual plots, beautiful photography, and a steady focus on atonement and redemption.
This is a favorite of mine. I got interested because I have a book of Father Brown short stories. I've been through all episodes on Netflix. Some of the early plots were based on the short stories, but with lots of "poetic license" taken. The shows are more light-hearted and lean more to humor than the original stories. They are very true to the Father Brown character, and that's the heart of the show as well as the original stories.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

bertilak wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:31 am
ruralavalon wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:57 am Father Brown, on Netflix.

This is a favorite of mine. I got interested because I have a book of Father Brown short stories. I've been through all episodes on Netflix. Some of the early plots were based on the short stories, but with lots of "poetic license" taken. The shows are more light-hearted and lean more to humor than the original stories. They are very true to the Father Brown character, and that's the heart of the show as well as the original stories.
I read some Father Brown stories years ago, have forgotten the plots, so these episodes are all fresh to me.
David Scubadiver

Post by David Scubadiver »

The Foreigner, with Jackie Chan. We broke in the MoviePass with that one and enjoyed it a lot.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Horsemen on Netflix. Very good crime thriller.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

" Book of Henry " A very unique story.
All the Best, | Joe
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

April Love

Sometimes a squeaky clean, non-complicated, feel good
movie with no profanity, nice scenery, and familiar actors
(in their younger days) is what the doctor ordered. Such was
the case with a recent viewing of April Love (1957) with
Pat Boone, Shirley Jones, Delores Michaels, and some highly
recognizable character actors. Yes it was somewhat corny and
at times so sweet I thought I might need an insulin shot but it
hit the spot one evening.
FraggleRock

Thor

Post by FraggleRock »

Thor: Ragnarok
C+
Almost no plot.
Stretched out action scenes.
I did not care about a single character.
Jeff Goldblum is over the top with his character.
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

We’ve finally saw Superwoman from Redbox, my daughter gave this movie a thump up, but unfortunately we disagreed with her. I’m not sure I want to get Superman vs Batman.
Back to watching the Great Escape on TV for the 4th or 5th time. It’s been running on our local TV.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

siamond wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:13 pm Blade Runner this afternoon. I agree with the 'way too long' comment, all scenes are drawn out and just last forever. Aside from that, I thought it was well done, the storyline did seem fairly coherent to me, and er, yeah, the bad guys were quite clearly identified (what is it with American movies that we always need this Manichean split - oh well). All the scenery, the special effects, the general atmosphere and also the acting were very well done. Some scenes were quite memorable (I will not spoil it!). But geez, the movie could have been 30 minutes shorter without cutting a single scene...

That's not Admiral Adama!

Adama was Lorne Greene.

This is the police Captain from Blade Runner!

He may have done TV after that but this is the captain..

You are showing your youth, mate! :happy :happy
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

DrGoogle2017 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:02 pm We’ve finally saw Superwoman from Redbox, my daughter gave this movie a thump up, but unfortunately we disagreed with her. I’m not sure I want to get Superman vs Batman.
Back to watching the Great Escape on TV for the 4th or 5th time. It’s been running on our local TV.
Wonder Woman?

It's a feminist superhero movie. The first. A number of women I know took their daughters to it and were quite choked up by it. Black Panther may be something similar. People will remember when and where their father took them to see it.

(Chris Pine stays out of the way which helps. And Danny Huston as Ludendorff is incomparable)

Star Wars The Force Awakens had a similar effect. Daisy Ridley and also John Boyega. From the eyes of a 12 year old kid - how they reacted.

For my money Rogue One: A Star Wars story because the script was stronger, Felicity Jones beats Daisy Ridley hands down (but the actress is 10 years older; see ATheory of Everything re Steven Hawking she is accomplished). K2 is what C3PO might have been. It's taken the Samurai story that Sergio Leone took Clint Eastwood and made into Westerns, and George Lucas made into Star Wars and it has made the Samurai a woman.

If you were a Middle Easterner living in the West or a Spanish speaker, Rogue One was also pivotal. Diego Luna does not affect an American accent. I read one account where the guy said his father wept in the cinema. And it has the first gay Star Wars characters.

When the new Dr Who turns to the camera, and there is this shock. I wanted to grab every 12 year old kid I knew and drag them to the TV screen. It was a pivotal moment in our cultural history.

Superheroes were invented by Jewish kids who wanted to be muscular blonde Aryans. Comic books tell the world what we dream of being. Our imagination brings them to light. Our becoming.
Last edited by Valuethinker on Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

heartwood wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:22 pm Blade Runner 2049. I'm sorry I took the advice of several critics et al suggesting "see it on the largest screen possible." We did. The screen was great but the accompanying Dolby Sound actually shook seats at some points and was too loud throughout the screening. So hard to enjoy something that was literally close to painful (or was at times). I wonder what the decibles were?

Can't wait to see it on my 75 inch screen at home at tolerable volume, especially after reading several spoilers and explanations.

Here's a trivia question, sadly I don't have the answer. What movie included the line "at that intensity sound can kill." I remember the line, but can't find the movie. Maybe a 50s sci-fi? Godzilla?
We were lucky because I have heard that comment from several people who went to other cinemas.

Not a patch on the original Blade Runner The Directors Cut (one really has to specify that version) but I enjoyed it. Time passed very easily.

Sound track derivative of the original (Hans Zimmer apes Vangelis) but still good.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

jginseattle wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:35 pm Dunkirk. An impressive technical achievement. But that's all it is. I'm not a fan of Christopher Nolan's films.

Maybe w Dunkirk you had to have the great uncles.

They caught perfectly the manner of those people. One was a Royal Navy officer w a Victoria Cross, Just like Branagh on the Mole.

Another was. Major in the Regular Army. Just like the beach commander.

A third led Lancaster's bombers over Germany. Over 50 per cent casualty rate. He would have worked out his minutes of fuel in chalk on the instrument panel.

I could see my family on that beach. The Royal Engineers wiring trucks together in the rising tide? My father.

I have met Northerners like the Mark Rylance character, the civilian in the small boat.

Catch Rylance in Bridge of Spies as colonel Rudolph Abel, exchanged for U2 pilot Francis Gary Powers. Amazing actor.
Last edited by Valuethinker on Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
siamond

Post by siamond »

Valuethinker wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:59 pm
siamond wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:13 pm Blade Runner this afternoon. I agree with the 'way too long' comment, all scenes are drawn out and just last forever. Aside from that, I thought it was well done, the storyline did seem fairly coherent to me, and er, yeah, the bad guys were quite clearly identified (what is it with American movies that we always need this Manichean split - oh well). All the scenery, the special effects, the general atmosphere and also the acting were very well done. Some scenes were quite memorable (I will not spoil it!). But geez, the movie could have been 30 minutes shorter without cutting a single scene...

Adama was Lorne Greene.

Well, it's been a long time since somebody told me I was showing my youth, thank you. Still... Admiral Adama (from Battlestar Galactica) was played by Edward James Olmos. Who was indeed playing in Blade Runner 2049, check his bio here.

Took me a little bit of research to understand your point... According to Wikipedia:

Commander Adama is a fictional character in the 1978 movie and subsequent ABC television series Battlestar Galactica and its continuation series, Galactica 1980. [...] Adama was played by Canadian actor Lorne Greene of Bonanza fame.
In the 2004 re-imagined series a similar character, named William Adama and nicknamed "Husker", commands the Galactica. William Adama is portrayed by actor Edward James Olmos.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

siamond wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:38 pm

Adama was Lorne Greene.

Well, it's been a long time since somebody told me I was showing my youth, thank you. Still... Admiral Adama (from Battlestar Galactica) was played by Edward James Olmos. Who was indeed playing in Blade Runner 2049, check his bio here.

Took me a little bit of research to understand your point... According to Wikipedia:

Commander Adama is a fictional character in the 1978 movie and subsequent ABC television series Battlestar Galactica and its continuation series, Galactica 1980. [...] Adama was played by Canadian actor Lorne Greene of Bonanza fame.
In the 2004 re-imagined series a similar character, named William Adama and nicknamed "Husker", commands the Galactica. William Adama is portrayed by actor Edward James Olmos.
Edward James Olmos was the police captain in the original Blade Runner. :happy The 1981 film. Hence using him in this movie. The one who does origami. He never speaks in English in the film. :sharebeer (except in the penultimate rooftop scene when teardrops in the rain is playing).

Gaff is the character's name from memory (looking it up is hard right now).
Taylor Larimore

"The Wizard of Lies"

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Bogleheads:

Last evening Taffy and I watched "The Wizard of Lies" about the Bernie Madoff Ponzi Scheme. We found it very interesting. The acting by Robert DiNero and Michelle Pfeiffer is supurb. However, we were both offended by the gutter language.

Overall, I am glad we watched it for a better understanding of the SEC (ineffective) and how easily people can be fooled into parting with their money.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Valuethinker wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:35 pm
jginseattle wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:35 pm Dunkirk. An impressive technical achievement. But that's all it is. I'm not a fan of Christopher Nolan's films.

Maybe w Dunkirk you had to have the great uncles.

They caught perfectly the manner of those people. One was a Royal Navy officer w a Victoria Cross, Just like Branagh on the Mole.

Another was. Major in the Regular Army. Just like the beach commander.

A third led Lancaster's bombers over Germany. Over 50 per cent casualty rate. He would have worked out his minutes of fuel in chalk on the instrument panel.

I could see my family on that beach. The Royal Engineers wiring trucks together in the rising tide? My father.

I have met Northerners like the Mark Rylance character, the civilian in the small boat.

Catch Rylance in Bridge of Spies as colonel Rudolph Abel, exchanged for U2 pilot Francis Gary Powers. Amazing actor.
I thought all the actors were good in Dunkirk. It was a problem of conception. But I admit that I haven't liked any Christopher Nolan films.

Mark Rylance is a superb actor and I agree that Bridge of Spies is a very fine movie.
CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo »

Murder on the Orient Express in the theater this past weekend. We really enjoyed it!

:sharebeer
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel | "Pick a bushel, save a peck!" - Grandpa
sschullo

Post by sschullo »

Valuethinker wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:43 pm

Adama was Lorne Greene.

Edward James Olmos was the police captain in the original Blade Runner. :happy The 1981 film. Hence using him in this movie. The one who does origami. He never speaks in English in the film. :sharebeer (except in the penultimate rooftop scene when teardrops in the rain is playing).

Science fiction movies are great, but Blade Runner was a lot more than science fiction! It was a perfect rendition of a good ole fashion human dream. Both real life and dream life are extremely complicated and the merge of the two was a perfect match because of the art form of this movie.
Who knows perhaps the future of humans and our consciousness is that our dreams, our so-called “real” conscious life, and droids will all become more merged. Imagine that, humans merging with droids and dreams. The sounds effects (music?), the visuals, the darkness and the storyline which made little sense (of course), and jagged transitions between scenes and events all was initially a conflict with my linear thinking.

The main character was just that, a combination of a droid and human, first he was searching for a boy and then Harrison Ford's character.
At the end, I think he wanted to be human but couldn't but there was a good ending when Ford's character was reunited with his daughter. But that was the extent of the logical storyline--after understanding that the movie was more of a dream and a marvelous art form with all the dazzlingly tricks that technology can provide, I got it! Of course! Now it made sense.

The only negative scenes I found to be too frequent was the violence. But even the violence had a new twist, females were just as violent as the males. However, good old fashion male sex fantasy of having two women crept in with the real human prostitute literally merging with the droid prostitute. It was hilarious!

I think this movie was a more of an art form than science fiction than the original Blade Runner IMO. Soooo, if you are looking for art and a dream, this movie delivers 110%. Both my date and I loved this movie. It was her idea. I was not planning on seeing it but happy I did.
Never in the history of market day-traders’ has the obsession with so much massive, sophisticated, & powerful statistical machinery used by the brightest people on earth with such useless results.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

sschullo wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:07 pm
Valuethinker wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:43 pm

Adama was Lorne Greene.

Science fiction movies are great, but Blade Runner was a lot more than science fiction! It was a perfect rendition of a good ole fashion human dream. Both real life and dream life are extremely complicated and the merge of the two was a perfect match because of the art form of this movie.
Who knows perhaps the future of humans and our consciousness is that our dreams, our so-called “real” conscious life, and droids will all become more merged. Imagine that, humans merging with droids and dreams. The sounds effects (music?), the visuals, the darkness and the storyline which made little sense (of course), and jagged transitions between scenes and events all was initially a conflict with my linear thinking.

The main character was just that, a combination of a droid and human, first he was searching for a boy and then Harrison Ford's character.
At the end, I think he wanted to be human but couldn't but there was a good ending when Ford's character was reunited with his daughter. But that was the extent of the logical storyline--after understanding that the movie was more of a dream and a marvelous art form with all the dazzlingly tricks that technology can provide, I got it! Of course! Now it made sense.

The only negative scenes I found to be too frequent was the violence. But even the violence had a new twist, females were just as violent as the males. However, good old fashion male sex fantasy of having two women crept in with the real human prostitute literally merging with the droid prostitute. It was hilarious!

I think this movie was a more of an art form than science fiction than the original Blade Runner IMO. Soooo, if you are looking for art and a dream, this movie delivers 110%. Both my date and I loved this movie. It was her idea. I was not planning on seeing it but happy I did.
I agree with you 100% and you explained it perfectly. I was disappointed to see it not do well with box office numbers domestically. I am not sure why.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || Taxable-VTI/VXUS || IRA-VT/BNDW
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Went to see Thor Raganarok for our anniversary yesterday. Wife loved it. Me? Meh...I have a hard time getting into the whole aliens and other dimensions thing. My preferred type of superhero entertainment is like Batman Begins, Captain America Civil War, season 1 of Daredevil. I think it was well done for what it was, some pretty good one-liners, but so many people told me it was the best superhero movie yet so I was a tad disappointed.

As an aside, I am pretty sure that they based the Hulk character after my 2yr old son, who also (interestingly) was named (by my wife) after another character in the movie. My son has literally said, verbatim, half of the Hulk's lines in that movie.