What are you driving? And would you buy your current ride again?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
harrington

What are you driving? And would you buy your current ride again?

Post by harrington »

2012 Fiat 500 and believe it or not it has been problem free with just about 100,000 miles on it. And yes I would buy another.
runner3081

Re: What are you driving? And would you buy your current ride again?

Post by runner3081 »

1998 Mercedes ML320, 121K miles - Paid $5k, 4.5 years ago
2005 Infiniti G35 - 115.5K miles - Paid $6k, 2.5 years ago - This is a good car, nice ride and rather quick with 285HP.

Yes, would buy both again. Expected issues with both based on age/mileage, nothing too crazy.

Best part is the dirt cheap licensing. Less than $100 per year to license both.

Though, not sure this thread lasts long. Not really actionable, more of a brag thread.

1) Brags about how nice of cars people have
2) Brags about how cheap some of us are

:)
Last edited by runner3081 on Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dude2

Post by Dude2 »

I drive the most popular car in America -- the Toyota Camry. Yes, I would buy it again. No complaints. Decent comfort, power, gas mileage, visibility -- all for a very reasonable price. Besides changing the oil and air filter, rotating the tires, practically zero maintenance costs.

However, I really miss having a truck. The drive is so much less enjoyable with a truck, but it opens up so many possibilities with getting things instantly versus having to set up delivery.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I do have to say contrats on the Fiat 500!

I daily drive a Jeep Wrangler unlimited. It's horrible over any but perfect roads, gets horrible gas mileage, is brazenly unsophisticated. But it plows snow off my driveway, can easily fit a year's worth of stuff for my son to move to college with a trailer hitch rack, holds 4 people easily, becomes a convertible with a few twists of attachment devices without tools, has enough power to beat the stoplight racers, if I was into that and, of course, Jeep Wave, which you can't get from any other vehicle.

This is my 4th Wrangler over 3 series (not in a row). Will I buy another one? I probably won't need to as I don't put many miles on it. If it were stolen or totaled, yes, I'd get another one and do exactly what I did for this one.....do my homework and then order exactly what I want.

For any distance driving, we take my wife's Crosstrek that gets over 30 mpg.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

2008 RAV4, 80K miles. Hoping it will last me another 10 years. By then I can probably convert to a smaller electric car - I hope to be living back in the city by then -- so I wouldn't buy another RAV at that time.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
stupidkid

Post by stupidkid »

2001 chevy Silverado 2500hd Duramax, love the truck but I wouldn't buy a big diesel again. It's expensive to maintain and I don't tow.

2001 BMW 740i. Recent fluke purchase, it's very nice as a highway cruiser but I wish I had gotten a 540 as originally planned.

2009 BMW 135i, I love this car. Planning to sell but if I were in the market for another coupe I'd look at a 2 series.

2011 Subaru outback, I hate driving this. I'm not comfortable in the seats, the 2.5 liter is barely adequate in the mountains, and the rear end sways around.

2014 Audi sq5, newest purchase, mostly for my so but it's the vehicle of choice for all our driving now. I really like it, comfortable, fast, handles well enough, nice interior. It seems to have some gremlins, the mirrors don't always unfold and the ac system design lends itself to moisture build up and a smell but not a big deal, still very nice to drive.
foamypirate

Post by foamypirate »

2002 Chevrolet Corvette w/ 41k miles. I would definitely buy it again! I had to put a little work into it (which I can do myself, thankfully), but it's been a great car other than some of that deferred maintenance. Sporty, fast, reliable, amazing A/C (my previous car was lack luster in that department, which is no good in Central Texas), and my wife digs it. 8-)

1988 Chevrolet 3/4 ton Crew Cab Pickup - This is my pet project. It has an engine out of a 2005 GMC Sierra Denali, and I'm currently converting it from an automatic transmission to a heavy duty 5 speed manual for towing. Ugly, but reliable with the modern drivetrain.

2007 Honda Accord w/ 100k miles - DW's daily driver. Bone stock, would buy one again if the new models prove as reliable. Only repair done to the car in 100k was a $45 Oxygen sensor I replaced myself.
Last edited by foamypirate on Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
ROIGuy

Post by ROIGuy »

I traded in my 2007 Honda Civic EX 270,000 miles at the end of February, and I bought a new 2017 Honda Civic Ex. Just hope I can get the same mileage out of this car.
mega317

Post by mega317 »

2016 Mazda CX-5, almost 2 1/2 now. My concern is that it will be tight with 2 adults, 2 car seats, an 80 pounds dog, and a stroller. Will probably go with a roof rack for the stroller, and leave the dog out of trips that require any amount of luggage. She hated camping anyway.
Otherwise love it and would buy again.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

2009 Honda Fit. I purchased it during the "cash for clunkers" rebate. I paid under $13k OTD for a new Honda, which I'd definitely do again.
dbr

Post by dbr »

I used to have a Buick LeSabre which wore out. I thought I wanted to buy one again, but that car or anything like it doesn't exist anymore. Instead I ended up with an Outback. I would buy that again now. If the original LeSabre existed with the technology now common in vehicles I might buy one LeSabre and one Outback. I would not buy a Camry or an Accord or a Jeep instead, but I don't plow driveways.

Of course, you realize you are talking about circumstances and preferences so what a bunch of people post on this forum doesn't mean much. Better data might be to just tabulate the vehicle population of the US and see what the population as a whole has chosen. I think there is also data on rate of re-purchase of the same make/model. There is a table by brand name here: https://www.consumerreports.org/car-rel ... isfaction/ While the chart makes some comments about brands that have gained or lost, there is not a good assessment of how consistent those rankings are.
dbr

Post by dbr »

Here is another article that suggests the factors that lead to choosing a car: http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/buyers ... -1.2552707

Previous experience is number 3 after expected reliability and exterior styling. Funny that the top two are one very practical concern and one totally esthetic concern.
dewey

Post by dewey »

Wife has a 2014 Mazda 3 GTS. It has all the new safety features. Sporty ride and drive. And we average 30 mpg in mixed driving. She loves the car. Would definitely buy again.

I drive a 2016 Acura RDX. Terrific vehicle in literally all ways. This is our AWD vehicle and would purchase again in a heartbeat.
“The only freedom that is of enduring importance is freedom of intelligence…” John Dewey
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 short cab 4.3L V-6... Yes
2009 Chevrolet Impala LS 3.5L V-6... Yes
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
ragabnh

Post by ragabnh »

The best of the best 2013 Lexus LX 570, the perfect SUV. Would buy again in heart beat. :happy
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

What I drive:

2012 Toyota Tundra. Would buy again as long as the front doesn't get ugly. :shock:

2012 John Deere. Would buy again but they last forever. :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
wander

Post by wander »

1997 Nissan Maxima, 390k miles. Yes, I will buy again.
Daryl

Post by Daryl »

Mr.BB wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:08 am I traded in my 2007 Honda Civic EX 270,000 miles at the end of February, and I bought a new 2017 Honda Civic Ex. Just hope I can get the same mileage out of this car.
If I was averaging 27K miles annually, I'l probably spend a little more than $20K on a car; however, the new Civics really are awesome. I just bought one myself.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:29 am I do have to say contrats on the Fiat 500!

I daily drive a Jeep Wrangler unlimited. It's horrible over any but perfect roads, gets horrible gas mileage, is brazenly unsophisticated. But it plows snow off my driveway, can easily fit a year's worth of stuff for my son to move to college with a trailer hitch rack, holds 4 people easily, becomes a convertible with a few twists of attachment devices without tools, has enough power to beat the stoplight racers, if I was into that and, of course, Jeep Wave, which you can't get from any other vehicle.

This is my 4th Wrangler over 3 series (not in a row). Will I buy another one? I probably won't need to as I don't put many miles on it. If it were stolen or totaled, yes, I'd get another one and do exactly what I did for this one.....do my homework and then order exactly what I want.

For any distance driving, we take my wife's Crosstrek that gets over 30 mpg.

"has enough power to beat the stoplight racers"
I would guess this is not nearly similar to your past FFR? Do you have a centri on the Jeep?
CoAndy

Post by CoAndy »

I have a 2012 Honda Accord with 67k miles. It has been 100% problem free (except for the annoying TPM light that comes on when it gets below 30 degrees, which happens a lot here). While I would absolutely buy it again, I probably wont buy another because I have a need for speed that this car does not address. I miss my sports sedan and will get something a bit sportier and more luxurious next time.
Toons

Post by Toons »

1.2017 Civic Hatchback
2.Yes. :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Billionaire

Post by Billionaire »

2008 Cadillac CTS bought new in April 2008. I hope to get about 2-5 more years out of it. I would buy one again, but the prices seem to have gone up, so I'll have to reevaluate when the time comes. Maybe the lower priced Cadillac ATS. I'd like to get a hybrid.
Church Lady

Post by Church Lady »

Toyota Corolla. I love the dependability. As to whether I would get another, I always approach each car replacement with an open mind. Things change so much over a decade.
He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity.
emoore

Post by emoore »

2011 VW GTI. Best car I've ever owned. Would purchase another one assuming there is a hybrid or EV options.
happyisland

Post by happyisland »

2008 Mitsubishi Nativa diesel. Horrible driving car, with weird wonky automatic transmission. It has been trouble-free for me for over 10 years, but I will definitely not be buying another when it dies.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

1998 Toyota Camry - bought from friends who had it since 1998 (several months old - demonstrator) in November 2015 - only has about 81,000 original miles. Meets most of our needs well. We do not take many long trips any more, but drove last weekend to and from a wedding 200 miles away (400 miles round trip). A few things go wrong from time to time, but I hope we drive it for many years.
Chan_va

Post by Chan_va »

16 golf Gti manual.

Fun, but if I were to buy again I would buy the dual clutch. The manual on the vw is just not as precise and fun as say a Miata.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

emoore wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:51 pm 2011 VW GTI. Best car I've ever owned. Would purchase another one assuming there is a hybrid or EV options.
2016 GTI here. I love it - perhaps still the best "all-around" car out there for someone that wants a sporty, useful, comfortable, not ostentatious and moderately economical car.
hightower

Post by hightower »

BMW i3. Definitely would buy again. Well, I would probably go with a Tesla Model 3 next time due to the more extensive fast charging network, but I'm sticking with electric vehicles from now one for sure

Wife's car is a 2016 Honda Fit, probably one of the best values there is in the ICE world. But, next time she needs a new car we're going to get another electric vehicle.
CppCoder

Post by CppCoder »

CoAndy wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:03 pm I have a 2012 Honda Accord with 67k miles. It has been 100% problem free (except for the annoying TPM light that comes on when it gets below 30 degrees, which happens a lot here). While I would absolutely buy it again, I probably wont buy another because I have a need for speed that this car does not address. I miss my sports sedan and will get something a bit sportier and more luxurious next time.
I agree...stupid Honda and their inability to engineer around the ideal gas law... :D
KlingKlang

Post by KlingKlang »

2004 Chevy Malibu, 110000 miles. Comfortable seating for four adults, good trunk capacity, adequate acceleration, easy to park. All of the problems have been electrical in nature (cruise control, A/C, high beams) and thus fairly easy to ignore.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

2007 Camry Hybrid. Iwould buy it again. But the price for vehicle I want is too high. SoI think in 5 years or so a used Camry with extra safety features is in my future.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

Have only had a company vehicle last 5-6 years. They are new and fancy and include insurance so we can save a lot. Not looking forward to retiring and having to pay for a vehicle (not to mention fancy expense account lunches, dinners, hotels, flights, etc).
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
Frisco Kid

Post by Frisco Kid »

Primary vehicle is a 2016 Toyota 4 Runner Trail Premium bought new. Would absolutely buy again. No longer commuting so gas mileage much less of an issue now.
Cheyenne

Post by Cheyenne »

2013 Toyota Prius. Second one and would buy again.
daveydoo

Post by daveydoo »

CppCoder wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:38 pm
I agree...stupid Honda and their inability to engineer around the ideal gas law... :D
:D
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

2011 honda element.

i'd buy it again -- its perfect for my lifestyle -- but they don't make it anymore.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

miles monroe wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:23 pm 2011 honda element.

i'd buy it again -- its perfect for my lifestyle -- but they don't make it anymore.
+1
DW drove one forever until a deer hit it one dark night. Totaled the front end.
It was reliable and very useful.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
furwut

Post by furwut »

2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker. Yes I would buy again but get the disc brakes perhaps. Haven’t owned an automobile since 2003.
englishgirl

Post by englishgirl »

2010 Toyota Prius.

I am not planning on rebuying just because the current Prius is so darn ugly. This car WAS a repurchase, of my 2001 Toyota Prius, and I would totally buy a Prius again if the design was radically changed. But alas, I just can't bring myself to do it with the current iteration. Yes, it's all about the looks at this point!

It is running well at the moment, so maybe I will be able to hold out for the next redesign. We'll see. If not, my current preferred option is the Hyundai Ioniq.
Sarah
emoore

Post by emoore »

hicabob wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:35 pm
emoore wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:51 pm 2011 VW GTI. Best car I've ever owned. Would purchase another one assuming there is a hybrid or EV options.
2016 GTI here. I love it - perhaps still the best "all-around" car out there for someone that wants a sporty, useful, comfortable, not ostentatious and moderately economical car.
Exactly! It almost the perfect car.
5th_Dimension

Post by 5th_Dimension »

2010 Honda Insight EX. Would buy one again but it is not being made anymore. :(
Pick up a penny and soon you'll have many.
Topic Author
harrington

Post by harrington »

hicabob wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:35 pm
I had a 2012 Golf R......That thing was a blast...
multiham

Post by multiham »

2016 VW Golf R - 4 wheel drive, 4 doors with a real usable back seat, hatchback so I can carry items. Bought snow tires and it has no problem getting through the snow (6 inches or less because of clearance) because of the 4 wheel drive. Also, it has just about 300 hp so the car is sneaky quick and fast. 25 mpg with some non-eco acceleration... Love it!
Bradley37

Post by Bradley37 »

I'm driving Prius. It has 110K miles on it now. And yes, i'll buy one again. Great MPG.
Cmpliance

Post by Cmpliance »

2012 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 - Bought it brand new in 2012 and now a little less than 30K miles. Is my daily driver and is a great/reliable car
2007 Porsche 911 Turbo - I've owned my fair share of sport cars and this is my first Porsche. Nothing compares to it. Would love to see how Porsche compares to the other German cars (BMW M cars or Benz AMG cars)
sambb

Post by sambb »

multiham wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:12 pm 2016 VW Golf R - 4 wheel drive, 4 doors with a real usable back seat, hatchback so I can carry items. Bought snow tires and it has no problem getting through the snow (6 inches or less because of clearance) because of the 4 wheel drive. Also, it has just about 300 hp so the car is sneaky quick and fast. 25 mpg with some non-eco acceleration... Love it!
Nice! A colleague has an audi s3 - what a great engine. The audi has an amazing cockpit, but that engine is great between them
multiham

Post by multiham »

sambb wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:22 pm
multiham wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:12 pm 2016 VW Golf R - 4 wheel drive, 4 doors with a real usable back seat, hatchback so I can carry items. Bought snow tires and it has no problem getting through the snow (6 inches or less because of clearance) because of the 4 wheel drive. Also, it has just about 300 hp so the car is sneaky quick and fast. 25 mpg with some non-eco acceleration... Love it!
Nice! A colleague has an audi s3 - what a great engine. The audi has an amazing cockpit, but that engine is great between them
Also loved the Audi S3, but it still had the Audi emblem on the front which calls out performance/sophistication. I kind of like having the VW logo as no one expects what this car is able to do. What I found to be funny was that I'm over 50 years old. Thought I would be the only person above 30 buying this car, but about half of the people I've talked to that have the car are 40+.
Daryl

Post by Daryl »

dm200 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:22 pm 1998 Toyota Camry - bought from friends who had it since 1998 (several months old - demonstrator) in November 2015 - only has about 81,000 original miles. Meets most of our needs well. We do not take many long trips any more, but drove last weekend to and from a wedding 200 miles away (400 miles round trip). A few things go wrong from time to time, but I hope we drive it for many years.
I wanted to check to see if your year was part of the recent recall. It looks like you are safe for another couple of years.

Toyota Recalls 1993 Camry Due To Fact That Owners Really Should Have Bought Something New By Now
Momus

Post by Momus »

Accord 08 150k miles, absolutely will buy Accord 2018 if I'm in the market again but I plan to keep this one til 2028. No problem so far, just following regular oil change at 5-10k inverval depending on my mood, and 30, 60, 100k maintenence schedule.

By then, I'll get electric car without steering wheel. Entertainment in a box with wheels, yes please.