Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
NCPE

Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by NCPE »

I could not find a Class of 2018 post so I guess I am the first to officially hit the “R” button for 2018.

I have run the numbers through all the online calculators and thanks to the members of this forum I am ready to make the jump after 35 years with a megacorp that is in the process of being taken over by an even larger megacorp. :( Long term plans were to work a few more years but I came to the reality that “it’s just not fun anymore”.

Due to some on going long term projects I sent my notification letter to my manager declaring the end of May 2018 as my last date so they will have some time to find some one to replace me :shock: .

I will miss the people but not the work…..

Good luck for my fellow members of the Class of 2018.

NCPE
Last edited by NCPE on Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
dwickenh

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by dwickenh »

NCPE,

Congrats on the retirement date and enjoy. I retired for the same reasons- just not fun anymore at the megacorp.

Best wishes to you,

Dan
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett
mrc

Post by mrc »

NCPE wrote: I will miss the people but not the work…..
Congratulations! Funny thing, I miss the work but not the people. Class of '17
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
cfs

Post by cfs »

Thanks everyone.

The Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018 is now open. Now we have FIVE conversations on the "Retirement Series."

For anyone not on the list, time to get onboard. IF you missed the boat, just click on the applicable link and add your name to the list.

Link to Retirement Class of 2014

Link to Retirement Class of 2015

Link to Retirement Class of 2016

Link to Retirement Class of 2017

Good luck to the Retirement Class of 2018.

Thanks for reading.

p.s. Alumnus, Retirement Class of 2014
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

cfs wrote:The Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018 is now open. Now we have FIVE conversations on the "Retirement Series." . . .
Good luck to the Retirement Class of 2018.
Thanks for reading.
p.s. Alumnus, Retirement Class of 2014
cfs!! You're back from another retirement adventure! All is well with the world :D :D

May we have a sitrep please 8-)
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

mrc wrote:
NCPE wrote: I will miss the people but not the work…..
Congratulations! Funny thing, I miss the work but not the people. Class of '17
I miss neither the work nor the people. :| Class of '16.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

NCPE wrote:I could not find a Class of 2018 post so I guess I am the first to officially hit the “R” button for 2018.
Thank you NCPE for starting this very important roll call for the Class of 2018 :D :D

And congratulations on hitting the "R" button!
NCPE wrote:I have run the numbers through all the online calculators and thanks to the members of this forum I am ready to make the jump after 35 years with a megacorp that is in the process of being taken over by an even larger megacorp. :( . . . the reality that it's just not fun anymore .
. . I will miss the people but not the work . . .
The "sad" face, yes time to move on to the next phase. Who knows what tomorrow will bring. 35 years of good work and now time for a good retirement :happy
Groundhog

Post by Groundhog »

Wow, I can’t believe I am writing this. 2008/2009 was a tough time for us with three major issues going on. We weathered all three and around 2014 I came up with a retirement date of 8/31/2018 which I am still on track for. I will be 56 at that time. Having a loved one with Alzheimer’s makes you realize time is precious, enjoy life while you can!
remomnyc

Post by remomnyc »

I was planning on joining the class of 2017, but medical issues have made me postpone to 2018. Will not miss the work or the people, but I will miss the fabulous health insurance.
dennisswal

Post by dennisswal »

I will be a 2018 (September) retirement member also and can't express what impact being a bogle head has meant to me and how it's helped me achieve our goals for retirement. We are basing our decision on both being 65 and on Medicare. My wife is retired already, but I don't have the desire to pay COBRA for health insurance needs.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Groundhog wrote:Wow, I can’t believe I am writing this. 2008/2009 was a tough time for us with three major issues going on. We weathered all three and around 2014 I came up with a retirement date of 8/31/2018 which I am still on track for. I will be 56 at that time.
Welcome to the class, Groundhog! You're planning ahead, one year away - it will be here before you know it! And cute groundhog :happy

Nice that you weathered your 2008/2009 storms. Those were some big storms. My Reserve Money Market Fund, which was frozen by the SEC in 2008 because it "broke the buck," just finally defrosted in full last year - meaning it took us 8 years to get back what was remaining in our "safe" money market fund :annoyed
Groundhog wrote:Having a loved one with Alzheimer’s makes you realize time is precious, enjoy life while you can!
Thank you for these poignant thoughts in the face of such difficulties.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

remomnyc wrote:I was planning on joining the class of 2017, but medical issues have made me postpone to 2018. Will not miss the work or the people, but I will miss the fabulous health insurance.
You're on the roster! Let us know the date. You'll "miss the fabulous health insurance" - you can say that again. Health insurance appears to be one of the key planning decisions, if not the most important.
dennisswal wrote:I will be a 2018 (September) retirement member also and can't express what impact being a bogle head has meant to me and how it's helped me achieve our goals for retirement. We are basing our decision on both being 65 and on Medicare. My wife is retired already, but I don't have the desire to pay COBRA for health insurance needs.
We're adding you to the Retirement Roll Call for 2018 - welcome!

Yes, the Bogleheads helped so many of us achieve our retirement goals. (Also learned how to use Costco Rotisserie Chicken 150 different ways, how to trap mice in the attic, and how to whiten my teeth :D
Emilyjane

Post by Emilyjane »

Thanks for starting the thread.

I am retiring January 2018. I will be 61, my husband has just retired, and he will be eligible for Medicare. I had some second thoughts due to the recent uncertainty about the individual health insurance market, but decided to go for it. A bit hard to lose employer provided health care.

We look forward to travel to National Parks in our camper van, with no deadline for returning home, more time for cross country skiing, gardening and reading all the books I didn't have time for when working.

Deep gratitude to all the Bogleheads who contributed to my financial education.
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance", Confucius
MichDad

Post by MichDad »

My wife is already retired. I'm targeting April 30, 2018 as my retirement date. I might move it up if I'm offered cash to leave earlier. I doubt I'd move it back. I'd like to contribute the maximum $24,000 to my Roth TSP account plus $13,000 to our Roth IRAs before I retire. If those limits are increased for 2018, I'd like to reach those limits.

My countdown calendar app tells me I'm 261 days away. I'll be 62 when I retire. I can't wait to start spending the money I've been socking away for this purpose since 1987. If I don't pay it off early, our home mortgage balance (our only debt) will be about $22,000 when I retire. Because the interest rate is only 2.49%, my inclination is to pay the mortgage off according to the amortization schedule, which will retire that debt at the end of my first year of retirement.

MichDad
retirementbound

Post by retirementbound »

I may be an imposter retiree. I will be retiring from the military effective October 1, 2018. They beauty of it is that with the amount of vacation time I have saved I will start transitioning the beginning of July and stop working by the middle of July.

Although I know this is a certainty I am not sure what the future holds regarding starting a second "career". I will retiring in a place where there are no corporate jobs, contracting/government make up the majority of jobs. My wife will either retire from the military October 1, 2019 or have three more years, we should know by October if she gets promoted.

Either way I think I will take the time off until her retirement to be a stay at home dad, maybe substitute teach if I am bored.

Good luck to everyone!
Longdog

Post by Longdog »

I am targeting June 2018 at age 53. I have already exceeded my number, having accumulated much more than I ever imagined I could, mostly, I believe, by LWBYM (LBYM with an exclamatory "way" thrown in). Disregarding tax liabilities, charity, and health insurance - an important consideration causing me to have extreme interest in the outcome of the healthcare debate in congress - I have accumulated about 100x my annual expenses, so I could significantly increase my lifestyle and be just fine, though I really don't feel deprived. In recent years I've spent about 15-20% of my gross income on "living", about 30% on taxes and about 50% towards saving and investing. I've maxed out my 401k for over 20 years, and invested plenty in taxable accounts and, since 2010, Roth IRAs as well. I'm pretty certain people at the MegaCo where I work would be shocked to learn my net worth, and more and more, as my dissatisfaction and frustrations at work mount, I question how much longer I can tolerate it. I'm trying to ride it out until the next bonus payout and stock option vesting, but if I got laid off before then I'm sure I'd be fine. In fact, once the bonus and vesting occur I will likely have "the talk" with my boss, offering myself up to be laid off, should the opportunity arise. If it doesn't happen within a couple of months afterwards, then I will resign and retire around the time of my 53rd birthday, making sure to have maxed out my final year's 401k contribution. I'm tired of working. :happy
Steve
multiham

Post by multiham »

Longdog wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:11 pm I am targeting June 2018 at age 53. I have already exceeded my number, having accumulated much more than I ever imagined I could, mostly, I believe, by LWBYM (LBYM with an exclamatory "way" thrown in). Disregarding tax liabilities, charity, and health insurance - an important consideration causing me to have extreme interest in the outcome of the healthcare debate in congress - I have accumulated about 100x my annual expenses, so I could significantly increase my lifestyle and be just fine, though I really don't feel deprived. In recent years I've spent about 15-20% of my gross income on "living", about 30% on taxes and about 50% towards saving and investing. I've maxed out my 401k for over 20 years, and invested plenty in taxable accounts and, since 2010, Roth IRAs as well. I'm pretty certain people at the MegaCo where I work would be shocked to learn my net worth, and more and more, as my dissatisfaction and frustrations at work mount, I question how much longer I can tolerate it. I'm trying to ride it out until the next bonus payout and stock option vesting, but if I got laid off before then I'm sure I'd be fine. In fact, once the bonus and vesting occur I will likely have "the talk" with my boss, offering myself up to be laid off, should the opportunity arise. If it doesn't happen within a couple of months afterwards, then I will resign and retire around the time of my 53rd birthday, making sure to have maxed out my final year's 401k contribution. I'm tired of working. :happy
Congratulations! I'm extremely envious of your situation. Almost everything you noted, the age, general location, working for mega-corp, and tired of working describe me perfectly. I have 22X spending saved but do have a pension. I'm leaning towards holding on if possible to age 55. Great job saving and I hope when I read these posts a year from now, your name will be on the "officially retired" list!
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Emilyjane wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:06 pm I am retiring January 2018. . . . We look forward to travel to National Parks in our camper van, with no deadline for returning home, more time for cross country skiing, gardening and reading all the books I didn't have time for when working.
You'll probably be one of our first retirees for this Very Prestigious Retirement Roll Call Class of 2018 :D

Enjoy your travel to the National Parks in your camper van - with NO deadline for returning home!! What a feeling of freedom :D
"Afoot and light-hearted I take to the open road,
Healthy, free, the world before me,
The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose.

Henceforth I ask not good-fortune, I myself am good-fortune,
Henceforth I whimper no more, postpone no more, need nothing,
Done with indoor complaints, libraries, querulous criticisms,
Strong and content I travel the open road."
"The Song of the Open Road," by Walt Whitman, 1856.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

MichDad wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:16 am My wife is already retired. I'm targeting April 30, 2018 as my retirement date. I might move it up if I'm offered cash to leave earlier. I doubt I'd move it back. I'd like to contribute the maximum $24,000 to my Roth TSP account plus $13,000 to our Roth IRAs before I retire. If those limits are increased for 2018, I'd like to reach those limits.
Welcome to the Roll Call! Make them pay you A LOT of cash - you're worth it :D I'm like you - don't hit the "R" button until every last penny is stuffed into those retirement accounts.
MichDad wrote:My countdown calendar app tells me I'm 261 days away. I'll be 62 when I retire. I can't wait to start spending the money I've been socking away for this purpose since 1987.
The CountDown Calendar!!

But wait - what are you going to spend all that money on ?? :mrgreen:
federal dinosaur

Post by federal dinosaur »

Add my name to this roll call. My current planning is to retire at the ripe old age of 62 in the August 2018 time frame. I am a fed gov't employee & FERS is my retirement system. I have steadily contributed to the TSP during the entirety of my federal career.
MichDad

Post by MichDad »

Miriam2 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:58 pm
MichDad wrote:My countdown calendar app tells me I'm 261 days away. I'll be 62 when I retire. I can't wait to start spending the money I've been socking away for this purpose since 1987.
The CountDown Calendar!!

But wait - what are you going to spend all that money on ?? :mrgreen:
We're planning lots of international travel for the first few years, health permitting. Only 257 days away.

MichDad
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

retirementbound wrote: I may be an imposter retiree. I will be retiring from the military effective October 1, 2018. They beauty of it is that with the amount of vacation time I have saved I will start transitioning the beginning of July and stop working by the middle of July.

Although I know this is a certainty I am not sure what the future holds regarding starting a second "career". I will retiring in a place where there are no corporate jobs, contracting/government make up the majority of jobs. My wife will either retire from the military October 1, 2019 or have three more years, we should know by October if she gets promoted.

Either way I think I will take the time off until her retirement to be a stay at home dad, maybe substitute teach if I am bored.

Good luck to everyone!
"Retiring from the military" qualifies as retirement - you're no imposter retiree 8-)

We truly appreciate your long service to our country. :D But it will be nice to start your second "career."

Going to be "a stay at home dad and maybe substitute teach if you're bored"?? - hmm, nooo - we don't think you'll be bored.

You're going to be grocery shopping, cooking food, washing dishes, doing laundry, driving car pool, shuttling kids from here to there and back again, dog to vet, errands to post office, Target, Home Depot, Office Depot, water the garden, sweep the patio, dang who spilled spaghetti on the sofa, homework homework homework, and this is just the beginning!!! Why, you might just re-enlist! :mrgreen:

However, If you ever get lonely for the good old army days, the Boglehead forum provides this help for our military retirees - just turn up your speakers and click HERE

:D :D
andyhere

Post by andyhere »

12/31/17 will be my last day on the payroll. I'm 63 and my wife is 64. We'll stay on COBRA for a bit. I'll then study up on Medicare and slipstream into the reality of healthcare when not on a corporate plan. Not setting an alarm clock, recreational cycling, some golf, mentoring young start-ups and getting to know my new community will be some of the things I'm looking forward to.
WestUniversity

Post by WestUniversity »

Groundhog wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:52 pm Wow, I can’t believe I am writing this. 2008/2009 was a tough time for us with three major issues going on. We weathered all three and around 2014 I came up with a retirement date of 8/31/2018 which I am still on track for. I will be 56 at that time. Having a loved one with Alzheimer’s makes you realize time is precious, enjoy life while you can!
My mother had Alzheimers. I would not wish that on my worst enemy...
WestUniversity

Post by WestUniversity »

I have been planning on 2018 myself, nothing official yet, however. I have worked for MegaCorp for a very long time. As so many other posters have said, I love most of the people. The work I no longer have a passion for as the stress of the last several years has squashed the ability to care deeply right out of me. There are good days but they are fewer and farther between. I have run the numbers multiple times with my InvestCo, my own spreadsheet, and other Monte Carlo simulations on the web. DW and I have LWBYM for many years. I feel like OMY is still tugging on me, but at what price for my sanity. We'll see what happens in the next 10-15 months. Most likely I would do something else less stressful, elsewhere. Have to say however, thinking about a future without w*rk does put a smile on my face :mrgreen:
Topic Author
NCPE

Post by NCPE »

I has been 3 months since I officially hit the “R” button and notified my management I will be checking out in 2018 and the stress level in my life due to work has drastically dropped.

I had my annual physical this week and my blood pressure is the lowest it has been in many, many years. :D

Good luck to all the current (and future) Class of 2018 retirees.

NCPE
WestUniversity

Post by WestUniversity »

NCPE wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:43 pm I has been 3 months since I officially hit the “R” button and notified my management I will be checking out in 2018 and the stress level in my life due to work has drastically dropped.

I had my annual physical this week and my blood pressure is the lowest it has been in many, many years. :D

Good luck to all the current (and future) Class of 2018 retirees.

NCPE
Congratulations! I will most likely make my own announcement in 8-10 months. Have started documenting all I do in anticipation of my departure. It feels more real everyday... :D
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

Congratulations to all of the incoming class. Or is that outgoing? Anyway.

Something to think about when deciding on your exact retirement date, especially if you are not yet Medicare eligible: Consider whether you would be better off picking a date at the beginning of the month so that your employer-provided healthcare insurance will continue through your first month in retirement. Not all employment situations will allow that, but if yours does, make sure you're getting the best deal.
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

It's going to be very close for 2018. I am working on a deal to move forward a payout that normally can only be taken after age 62. I am offering to provide some (paid) consulting if they will give me my payout early.

No mega-Corp here, it is a small business that can do whatever they decide is in their best interest and being able to access me as a resource in the future is certainly to their advantage.

So don't sign me up yet, I will let you know if this becomes a December 31 retirement.
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Here's the first official Roll Call list for the upcoming Retirement Class of 2018!

And 2018 will be here before we know it :shock: :D

Upcoming graduating class -
__ Jan - Emilyjane (61)
30 Apr - MichDad (62)
__ May - NCPE
__ Jun - Longdog (53)
31 Aug - Groundhog (56)
__ Aug - federal dinosaur (62)
__ Sep - dennisswal (65)
01 Oct - retirementbound

__ ___ remomnyc
__ ___ WestUniversity

On retirement permahold -
TheTimeLord (class of 2014/2015/2016/2017/2018 . . to infinity and beyond! . .)

This exciting Roll Call for 2018 is just getting started :happy
cfs

Post by cfs »

Miriam2 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:21 pm. . . This exciting Roll Call for 2018 is just getting started . . .
I hear you loud and clear. And for those "sitting on the retirement fence", you just don't know what you are missing!
God Bless You and your family, Happy Thanksgiving, Merry Christmas, and thanks for reading [alumnus, retirement class of 2014].
MichDad

Post by MichDad »

Miriam,

I've decided to advance my retirement date by one month. It's now set for March 31, 2018; only 131 days away and counting.

MichDad
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

MichDad wrote: I've decided to advance my retirement date by one month. It's now set for March 31, 2018; only 131 days away and counting.
OK, we'll update the list. Retiring on March 31 gives you 15 days to do your taxes :wink: (actually you get a break - due to the Emancipation Day holiday on Mon April 16, our taxes aren't due until Tues April 17, 2018 - weee!)
remomnyc

Post by remomnyc »

Miriam, put me down for March 9th. With the end in sight, each day is excruciatingly long.
RubyTuesday

Post by RubyTuesday »

I intend to retire in January, most likely just before my 52nd birthday. I’ve told my boss I’m likely leaving “in the next few months” and suggested if megacorp has another reduction in force to feel free to sever me to save someone else if he likes. Were they to sever me, I would receive the generous 4 weeks of severance after 23 years of service :D

DW will have just under 2 years until she can retire with unreduced Pension. So it will be an interesting first couple of years!

My early retirement plans include:
- exercising daily
- golfing regularly
- reading
- getting rid of things that I used to own but now seem to own me (motorcycles, musical instruments, miscellaneous life accumulations)
- house projects that will improve our every day quality of life
- reconnecting with some friends

RT
“Doing nothing is better than being busy doing nothing.” – Lao Tzu
RubyTuesday

Post by RubyTuesday »

I think I have a date now... January 12.
cfs

Post by cfs »

RubyTuesday wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:33 pm I think I have a date now... January 12.
How do you spell awesome?

As soon as you hit the parking lot on your last day at work, I want to hear your super loud Retirement Class Scream:

"I am work freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" !!!

Oh my, what a great feeling, joining the Active Retired Force at the young age of 52, and I like the first item of your listing [exercising daily], that's the trick, remain mentally and physically active as long as you can.

Wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas, and thanks for reading.
RubyTuesday

Post by RubyTuesday »

Thanks!

Though I won’t go in to office from here on out, so no parking lot primal scream for me! Weather permitting, you’ll hear me yell “fore” on my last day!

That said, the thought of not working is quite alien to me. I’ve worked almost every day since sophomore of high school. Dad was laid off during college so worked most of college time too.

Between now and final date, I’m working on establishing (starting) a routine.
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

RubyTuesday wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:19 am I intend to retire in January, most likely just before my 52nd birthday. I’ve told my boss I’m likely leaving “in the next few months” and suggested if megacorp has another reduction in force to feel free to sever me to save someone else if he likes. Were they to sever me, I would receive the generous 4 weeks of severance after 23 years of service :D

DW will have just under 2 years until she can retire with unreduced Pension. So it will be an interesting first couple of years!

- exercising daily
- golfing regularly
- reading
- getting rid of things that I used to own but now seem to own me (motorcycles, musical instruments, miscellaneous life accumulations)

RT
May I suggest adding to your list:
Having dinner ready for DW every day she works...
Pampering in general may go a long ways towards marital harmony!
RubyTuesday

Post by RubyTuesday »

InMyDreams wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:48 pm
RubyTuesday wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:19 am I intend to retire in January, most likely just before my 52nd birthday. I’ve told my boss I’m likely leaving “in the next few months” and suggested if megacorp has another reduction in force to feel free to sever me to save someone else if he likes. Were they to sever me, I would receive the generous 4 weeks of severance after 23 years of service :D

- exercising daily
- golfing regularly
- reading

RT
May I suggest adding to your list:
Having dinner ready for DW every day she works...

Pampering in general may go a long ways towards marital harmony!
Now that’s good advice. I’ll plan to cook dinner at least twice a week.
Seqfish

Post by Seqfish »

Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me!
3/3/2018 @ 62. My work ethic seems to be suffering a bit...
Larry2623

Post by Larry2623 »

4/2/2018
cfs

Post by cfs »

Seqfish wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:55 am . . . 3/3/2018 . . .
Larry2623 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:15 am . . . 4/2/2018 . . .
Good News, congratulations on your decision to pack it. Merry Christmas, and thanks for reading.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Yea! Retirement tentatively starts on 3/3/2018. Early retirement package - if "accepted" I can retire with a nice package.

Less than three months away!
MnD

Post by MnD »

2018 is definitely the year but much uncertainty as to the month!

I'm currently eligible for an early retirement offer through 3/31/18 but with no additional cash incentive offered (yet).
After that I'm not eligible for regular retirement until the end of August 2018.
Another round of targeted cash incentive offers are "in the works" and will be offered well before 3/31.

So........

3/31/18 If between now and then things go from lousy to intolerable at work or I'm offered cash to go.
8/31/18 If after 3/31 things go from lousy to intolerable at work.
11/30/18 If things remain tolerable at work.
12/31/18 if there's some good reason to stay an extra month (unlikely).
Last edited by MnD on Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
70/30 AA for life, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if fixed income <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

remomnyc wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:43 pm I was planning on joining the class of 2017, but medical issues have made me postpone to 2018. Will not miss the work or the people, but I will miss the fabulous health insurance.
remomnyc wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:12 pm Miriam, put me down for March 9th. With the end in sight, each day is excruciatingly long.
Done! You're on the list! Your well-deserved retirement is around the corner. 8-)

"With the end in sight, each day is excruciatingly long." :( If you look, your first retirement announcement was in August 2017, and you set the date in November 2017, and now it is December 2017, five months later - see how fast the days and months flew by. March is only three months away. Before you know it, March will be here and you will be out the door :D
Derby

Post by Derby »

I've been thinking about it a lot, and the more I think, the more I realize it's time.

I'm looking at almost exactly 1 year from today for my last day, probably an official date of 31December to get a small bonus. I'll be 59. I know already that I'll never be bored. Live is short, and I've got things to do!

:sharebeer
Carpe Diem.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Longdog wrote: I am targeting June 2018 at age 53.
You're on the list, welcome!
I have already exceeded my number, having accumulated much more than I ever imagined I could, mostly, I believe, by LWBYM (LBYM with an exclamatory "way" thrown in)
Nice new acronym - LWBYM - Living Way Below Your Means.
Longdog, when you retire, are you going to loosen the reins a little and enjoy a few more things or travels? 8-)
. . . once the bonus and vesting occur I will likely have "the talk" with my boss, offering myself up to be laid off, should the opportunity arise. If it doesn't happen within a couple of months afterwards, then I will resign and retire around the time of my 53rd birthday, making sure to have maxed out my final year's 401k contribution.
Nice financial plans - reap every penny you're entitled to :D When you have "the talk with the boss" tell him thanks for the memories and the pay and the 401k - but you're outta there :D
I'm tired of working. :happy
Amen - we can all understand that :wink:
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

federal dinosaur wrote: Add my name to this roll call. My current planning is to retire at the ripe old age of 62 in the August 2018 time frame. I am a fed gov't employee & FERS is my retirement system. I have steadily contributed to the TSP during the entirety of my federal career.
Welcome to the Class federal dinosaur! We wish you all the best in your retirement.

Speaking of dinosaurs, I read somewhere that Tyrannosaurus rex was nothing more than a giant chicken, you know, a huge chicken with feathers and I guess big teeth. Do you know anything about this?? :confused
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

NCPE wrote: It has been 3 months since I officially hit the “R” button and notified my management I will be checking out in 2018 and the stress level in my life due to work has drastically dropped.

Happy to hear this!! The healthy benefits of a good retirement. Don't let your blood pressure get too low or we might have to put you to work at the Bogleheads Conference to bring it back up :D

andyhere wrote: 12/31/17 will be my last day on the payroll. I'm 63 and my wife is 64. . . . Not setting an alarm clock, recreational cycling, some golf, mentoring young start-ups and getting to know my new community will be some of the things I'm looking forward to.
Andyhere - congratulations on getting OFF that dang payroll :D What kind of startups are you mentoring? Nice plans to look forward to 8-)