NE Ohio (Cleveland Area) Master Thread

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Robconoclast

Re: NE Ohio (Cleveland Area) Master Thread

Post by Robconoclast »

On vacation :beer Are we still discussing the Warren Buffet article in October ?
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
bobinberea

Post by bobinberea »

That question was raised at our meeting this morning (Aug 12), but Karen was absent, so we'll need to wait until she is back in town to get a definitive answer. In a recent email she announced that the October meeting will be on Oct 14.

BobinBerea
Robconoclast

Post by Robconoclast »

Bob, Looking at my notes from June 10. Just confirming that we're meeting October 14, the second Saturday as we usually do and not the seventh. It'd give me a great reason to reschedule my appointment with my dentist :beer
bobinberea

Post by bobinberea »

Oct 14 is still my assumption. Hopefully we'll all hear from Karen soon.

BobinBerea
Topic Author
Maid of the Mist

Post by Maid of the Mist »

The next Boglehead meeting is Oct 14. Followed by the year -end meeting on Dec 9. All meetings start at 10am. Location is North Royalton Library.
veindoc

Post by veindoc »

Any chance the meeting will ever be on the east side? Or will it always be at the North Royalton library?
runner9

Post by runner9 »

mrsytf wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:21 pm Any chance the meeting will ever be on the east side? Or will it always be at the North Royalton library?
+1
bobinberea

Post by bobinberea »

mrsytf wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:21 pm Any chance the meeting will ever be on the east side? Or will it always be at the North Royalton library?
This is a tough one. We have always met in a location that is more or less 'central.' For example, to get to North Royalton I drive about 45 minutes from Lorain County. How long do eastsiders have to drive to get to North Royalton?
Topic Author
Maid of the Mist

We should discuss the meeting location at the next meeting. Bob is correct - we always tried to provide a central NE Ohio location.

We did meet in the past at the Brecksville library which is a little more central, however they only have one large meeting and many times, I was unable to reserve it. The library had many events on Saturday and those took precedence over our meeting and at times they would unilaterally move us to a very small room. The North Royalton library has four larger meeting rooms with computer and projector access. They have been very easy to deal with and never unilaterally changed our meeting room. So we have been meeting there regularly. But we can review other options.

Karen
veindoc

Post by veindoc »

From Solon, it's actually only 30 minutes. I imagined it further but that's not too bad.
Topic Author
Maid of the Mist

Our next Bogleheads meeting is this Saturday, Oct. 14 at 10 AM. It will be at the North Royalton Branch Library (of the Cuyahoga library system).

Topics include:

1. Berkshire Hathaway 2016 letter to shareholders. We will focus on pages 21-25 “The Bet” (or how your money finds its way to Wall Street)
2. Equifax data breach (What is it? Who is affected? What are its potential effects on individuals? What can we do to protect ourselves?)

I hope to see you there,

Karen
bobinberea

Post by bobinberea »

Hope to be there!

BobinBerea
MarilynDennison

Post by MarilynDennison »

Karen,

I enjoyed attending the NE Ohio Boglehead Chapter this morning and found it extremely informative.

For those of you who wish to attend, the South Florida Chapter will be on January 21, 2018 at noon located at the Stirling Road Branch Library, Hollywood, FL.

Also, I have copied penywise's Amazon link information about which I spoke.

"Specifically, on the Bogleheads.org front page, if you scroll down on the left to the 'Support this Site' section, you can click directly on the Amazon link immediately underneath and as Larry A. explained to us, using this route when you order anything will generate a small donation to maintain the bogleheads technical service with absolutely no cost or fee to the user. What a Bogleheadian concept: you are helping keep an incredible resource going by purchasing your usual Amazon products!

Despite its hiding in plain sight, I'd simply never noticed that button or realized how easy it is to help out. Worth repeating too that Bogleheads.org is run by and for VOLUNTEERS so our financial help is certainly useful and appreciated."
"

Thanks again,
Marilyn
bobinberea

Post by bobinberea »

Marilyn,

It was a pleasure to have you and your daughter join us today. The Boglehead Fellowship extends far and wide! Come back again next time you are up north!

BobinBerea
(the professor Bob sitting at the end of the room)
raamakoti

Post by raamakoti »

was there a Nov meeting? Is there a meeting in December. I would like to meet Cleveland area Boglehead chapter members and learn.
Robconoclast

Post by Robconoclast »

According to my notes the next.meeting is Saturday December 9, 10:00 a.m. at the North Royalton branch of the Cuyahoga County Library. :beer
Topic Author
Maid of the Mist

Well - it is time again for our meeting and this is your reminder. We will meet at the North Royalton Library at 10am on Saturday, Dec 9. Topics include:

1. Personal Computer Hygiene presented by Bryan Roberts. I understand Natalie is helping with the information. This is a very important topic at this time and I am personally very interested because I had someone access an account of mine recently.

2. Estate Planning. See Fidelity link for information on this topic https://www.fidelity.com/growing-managi ... g/overview

3. General Discussion

Hope to see you all there!

Karen
bobinberea

Post by bobinberea »

Praying for decent weather, I hope to be there!

BobinBerea
Topic Author
Maid of the Mist

Bump up.

I hope the weather is good also.

Karen
orthros

Post by orthros »

I missed the last meeting :( but want to attend.

Has the January meeting been set yet?
Robconoclast

Post by Robconoclast »

According to my notes from the last meeting the next one will be Saturday, February third at the North Royalton Library. We spent the last meeting discussing estate planning (wills, trusts, estate taxes, etc) and I noted behavioral economics & finance as a potential topic for the next meeting. There was also discussion about a future meeting involiving an introduction (review for others) of the Boglehead philosophy & encouraging people interested in getting started to attend. Let's hope for good weather. :beer
bobinberea

Post by bobinberea »

All correct. I'm up to bat on Feb 3 to talk about behavioral economics etc. Incredibly rich and fascinating topic. I'll send out some suggested websites, videos, bibliography, etc., in advance.

BobinBerea
orthros

Post by orthros »

Still on for Feb 3rd at the North Royalton library? And is it the "New" library in front of the Y on Wallings? Time?

Just had a meeting for an unrelated group at the North Royalton library yesterday - their rooms are pretty nice.
Topic Author
Maid of the Mist

Hi all,

We have a meeting tomorrow (Saturday) - Feb 3 @ 10AM at the North Royalton Library. I am hoping for good weather - but if not I will send a cancellation e-mail the evening of Feb 2. It is looking ok right now.

This meeting has some interesting topics:

1. Behavioral Finance - presented by Bob Fowler

2. Personal Computer Security - presented by Bryan Roberts

Hope to see you all for these timely topics.

Karen
bobinberea

Post by bobinberea »

I've been slow to collect my thoughts for my presentation on behavioral economics/finance tomorrow, but here's one thing that's easy to share, the Bogleheads Wiki entry on behavioral economics: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Behavioral_pitfalls. I think will start with this tomorrow. We could easily just talk about this and fill the time, but there is a super-abundance of other stuff available on the subject, and I'll skim through an outline rapidly.

Bob Fowler
(BobinBerea)
Robconoclast

Post by Robconoclast »

During the presentation today there were some chuckles when Homer Simpson's brain showed up. Perhaps Homer can teach us something about speculation

https://youtu.be/u196yHvR8K8
Along with https://youtu.be/3w5D9yJUMOc
:beer
Eagle33

Post by Eagle33 »

When & where is the next chapter meeting?
Robconoclast

Post by Robconoclast »

Should be next Saturday April 14 at the North Royalton Library from 10 a.m. to noon
Robconoclast

Post by Robconoclast »

Should be next Saturday April 14 at the North Royalton Library from 10 a.m. to noon
bobinberea

Post by bobinberea »

Copying and pasting an email from Maid of the Mist (Karen) this morning:

"This is a reminder that the next Bogleheads meeting is April 14, 2018 at 10am at the North Royalton Library. Chris Bruns will be presenting on a tax related topic. I will not be attending due to a family obligation.

The next meeting will be scheduled on June 9 - be sure to mark your calendars."

Bob Fowler/BobinBerea
SagaciousTraveler

Post by SagaciousTraveler »

Just wanted to stop by and say hello.

Live in Avon and am looking to attend the next meeting.
Last edited by SagaciousTraveler on Fri May 04, 2018 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robconoclast

Post by Robconoclast »

SagaciousTraveler wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 9:40 am Just wanted to stop by and say hello.

Live in Avon and was am looking to attend the next meeting.
First meeting ? If so turn left after entering the library and we're usually in the last room on the left.
Aquarama

Post by Aquarama »

Hello all, I just found your group. Anybody want to carpool to the meeting from Lake County? I'll be coming down I-271
onmyway33

Post by onmyway33 »

Hello fellow North East Ohio Bogleheads,

This is a reminder that the next Bogleheads meeting is Saturday June 9, 2018 at 10am at the North Royalton Library. We will be discussing tax gain and tax loss harvesting, and then how we talk to others about money. Please bring any additional topics of interest. Thanks, and I hope you see you there.
"When the market's going up, we think it's going to go up forever. When the market goes down, we think it's going to go down forever. Neither of those things actually happen" - John C. Bogle
bobinberea

Post by bobinberea »

Hope to be there.

Bob Fowler/BobinBerea
Robconoclast

Post by Robconoclast »

Is it safe to assume that the next meeting will be in August ? Transferred to third shift and I'm thinking about taking three day weekends for future meetings thanks to my pto.
orthros

Post by orthros »

Hey Robconoclast,

The North Royalton library isn't huge. There are a few conference rooms to the left as you enter - we're usually the last room. You can always ask the front desk if you're unsure, but it's usually pretty obvious. Look for a bunch of folks with finance books, portfolios and/or computers chatting about Bogle or tax loss harvesting. :D
bobinberea

Post by bobinberea »

Looked at my notes and verified that the next meeting will be August 11. I'm afraid I'll miss, because I'll be out of town.

Bob
Robconoclast

Post by Robconoclast »

orthros wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:02 am Hey Robconoclast,

The North Royalton library isn't huge. There are a few conference rooms to the left as you enter - we're usually the last room. You can always ask the front desk if you're unsure, but it's usually pretty obvious. Look for a bunch of folks with finance books, portfolios and/or computers chatting about Bogle or tax loss harvesting. :D
I haven't been to the last two meetings since going to third shift. My work week ends at 7 a.m. Saturdays now and I crash hard when I get home. I'm the bearded guy that works at Great Lakes Brewing Company.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Your Local Chapter has a new Coordinator and a new contact email address.

Al has agreed to take over as the Local Chapter Coordinator and the new email address is NEOBogleheads@gmail.com.

Thanks, Al, for agreeing to take over for the current Coordinator who's moving out of state.

Best of luck to you and all the NE Ohio Bogleheads.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
onmyway33

Post by onmyway33 »

North East Ohio Bogleheads,

I wanted to remind you all that our next meeting is scheduled for Saturday August 11th from 10am until noon at the North Royalton Public Library (5071 Wallings Road • North Royalton, OH 44133).

We are planning to discuss retirement simulations using online calculators, such FIRECalc, and other helpful consumer tips. As always, we are open to discuss other topics from the meeting attendees.

I hope to see you all there.
"When the market's going up, we think it's going to go up forever. When the market goes down, we think it's going to go down forever. Neither of those things actually happen" - John C. Bogle
Hyacinth2018

Post by Hyacinth2018 »

When do you meet again ?
Eagle33

Post by Eagle33 »

Hyacinth2018 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:27 pm When do you meet again ?
Sat. Oct. 13
bobinberea

Post by bobinberea »

Alas, I'll have to miss again. I'll be attending my 50th high school reunion. Hope to see everyone in December!

BobinBerea
Solace

Post by Solace »

New to Bogleheads, and somewhat new to investing in general. I’m trying to learn as much as possible. Are these meetings open to anyone who would like to attend? I happen to be near North Royalton, which it looks like a lot of previous meetings have been here. If so, when is the next meeting and location?

Thanks!
bobinberea

Post by bobinberea »

Yes, open to everyone. Meets at the North Royalton Branch of Cuyahoga County Public Library, 5071 Wallings Rd, North Royalton OH 44133. Next meeting will be Sat Oct 13, 10:00-12:00 or so. Always a very diverse gathering, from newbies to folks with many years of investing experience and savvy. Again, I'm sorry I'll be missing this again.

BobinBerea
onmyway33

Post by onmyway33 »

North East Ohio Bogleheads,

I wanted to remind you all that our next meeting is scheduled for this Saturday October 13th from 10am until noon at the North Royalton Public Library (5071 Wallings Road • North Royalton, OH 44133).

We are planning to discuss tax related topics, such as current tax brackets, tax efficient fund placement, and tax loss harvesting.

As always, we are open to discuss other topics from the meeting attendees.

I hope to see you all there.
bobinberea

Post by bobinberea »

Sorry to say I will be out of town, again. Hope to see you all in December!

BobinBerea
CyberBob

Post by CyberBob »

Unfortunately, I also had to miss October's meeting.
When is the next December meeting? December 8th?
onmyway33

Post by onmyway33 »

Northeast Ohio Bogleheads group,

Our next bi-monthly meeting will be held at the North Royalton Library, 5071 Wallings Road, at 10am until noon on Saturday, December 8th.

I will provide a quick overview of financial topics you may wish to consider prior to the end of the 2018 tax year. Also, we will discuss things to consider when performing tax planning for 2019.

Please feel free to bring any additional topics you would like to discuss to the meeting.

I look forward to seeing you all there.