Selling Tradelines

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
psystal

Selling Tradelines

Post by psystal »

I was recently introduced to the concept of selling tradelines by a friend (who hasn't pulled the trigger on it yet). A cursory search reveals mostly positive reviews and endorsements from a number of referral-based websites (such as Mr. Moustache), but not much else. There are several references to it through the Bogleheads forums, but no real information.

Anyone have experience with selling tradelines, positive or negative, or any input on the practice?
alpenglow

Re: Selling Tradelines

Post by alpenglow »

I've read about it but won't do it as it strikes me as sketchy and amoral.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

I don't need an extra $1000 that badly.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I looked into doing this with a 16 year old card because older cards bring more money. I decided not to do it because I could not find any datapoints for the issuer. Some issuers will close your account for selling tradelines.
SirToolman

Post by SirToolman »

Yeah...that sounds like a bad idea all around.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I do it. Money for nuthin'. Look in the MMM forum, share your badassity and find the tradeline thread II.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
FrugalProfessor

Post by FrugalProfessor »

I blog here: https://www.frugalprofessor.com/
Topic Author
psystal

Post by psystal »

JoMoney wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:00 pm Wow :shock:
I had not heard of this before http://www.thetruthaboutcreditcards.com ... ade-lines/
Yeah. It's not something that ever occurred to me, but it seems to be relatively big business, and has been for some time. It also seems to be endorsed by a surprising number of relatively reputable bloggers. The concept struck me as sketchy, although my curiosity is piqued.
Topic Author
psystal

Post by psystal »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:59 pm I do it. Money for nuthin'. Look in the MMM forum, share your badassity and find the tradeline thread II.
I'm curious - how long have you been at it? Any issues with your credit card companies?
flamesabers

Post by flamesabers »

FrugalProfessor wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:06 pm Interesting writeup here: https://wealthyaccountant.com/2017/10/1 ... -side-gig/
I think this statement from this article says a lot if banks finds out what you're doing:
The banks generally don’t like tradelines being sold. Their biggest concern is fraudsters increasing their FICO score, getting a credit card or other loan and defaulting. Without adequate fraud control criminals can cause losses for the banks and that ends the party.
I wouldn't be surprised if banks cancelled your accounts and blacklisted you if they suspect you're selling your tradelines.
Raybo

Post by Raybo »

Given that all our credit data is now on the dark net, thanks to the high quality IT staff at Equifax, why can't these people simply buy a new identify with good credit?
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

From http://www.thetruthaboutcreditcards.com ... rade-lines:

"Credit brokers essentially connect people with good to great credit who are willing to add authorized users to their credit cards and other financial accounts to people who lack credit history."
Wow? Add an unknown person with bad credit as an authorized user on my credit card? For which I'm responsible? What am I not understanding?
DavidRoseMountain

Post by DavidRoseMountain »

spammagnet wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:19 pm
From http://www.thetruthaboutcreditcards.com ... rade-lines:

"Credit brokers essentially connect people with good to great credit who are willing to add authorized users to their credit cards and other financial accounts to people who lack credit history."
Wow? Add an unknown person with bad credit as an authorized user on my credit card? For which I'm responsible? What am I not understanding?
The authorized user doesn't actually ever get your credit card, they don't know your credit card number, and they have no way of getting that information. The authorized user simply gets a credit report that looks like it has a great credit card with a long history of payments and a great credit line, so it bumps up the credit score.
However, some mortgage companies get more sophisticated credit reports that will delete out these authorized user credit cards from the credit report. So I'm not sure how if the people who buy these authorized user slots on a credit card are actually seeing any benefit, or are they merely being taken advantage of by these "tradeline companies" who make unrealistic promises.
SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP »

I wouldn't do it. I don't want a stranger with bad credit associated with my name, address or credit.

-Steph
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

Sounds very sketchy.

Since you are adding them as an authorized user, what prevents them from charging on the card?
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
soupcxan

Post by soupcxan »

Adding an authorized user to your account who you have no legitimate relationship with is fraud, pure and simple.
tj

Post by tj »

StevieG72 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:04 pm Sounds very sketchy.

Since you are adding them as an authorized user, what prevents them from charging on the card?
They never receive a card.
Goat1036

Post by Goat1036 »

Been doing this for about a Yr - can u explain how about it is fraud?
tj

Post by tj »

Goat1036 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:35 pm Been doing this for about a Yr - can u explain how about it is fraud?

it's most likely against the terms of service of your bank. I don't think it's fraud.

I did it for a little bit, but I found it was generally not worth the hassle. You could get mail for random people, calls from debt collectors looking for them, etc.
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

tj wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:31 pm
StevieG72 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:04 pm Sounds very sketchy.

They never receive a card.
My concern would be a call to the card issuer from the authorized user to request card number or a physical card. I am assuming the card issuer will only do this with account owners request, but not sure I trust that safegaurd. What information is provided to the authorized user? If account number shows up on credit report the authorized user could call CC company and pretend to be the primary account owner.

For me the risk / reward ratio is off balance.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
tigerdoc93

Post by tigerdoc93 »

This seems “wrong “ to me but probably legal. I can find better ways to make money.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

psystal wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:53 pm
Jack FFR1846 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:59 pm I do it. Money for nuthin'. Look in the MMM forum, share your badassity and find the tradeline thread II.
I'm curious - how long have you been at it? Any issues with your credit card companies?
Since May. Have had no problems with any of the credit card companies. I ONLY use cards that I don't care if they get closed.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

I've done enough churning and cancellation of unused cards, that my cards are too new to be much value. Also, I don't like boosting credit for deadbeats.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

ClevrChico wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:52 am I've done enough churning and cancellation of unused cards, that my cards are too new to be much value. Also, I don't like boosting credit for deadbeats.
Yup. For every person with bad credit because of some legit medical misfortune or something similar, there are a hundred people who have a bad credit history because they don’t want to pay their bills. And that, ultimately, is a tax on those of us who do pay our bills.

Imo, the only way this would be sketchier is if I got paid in drugs.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:58 am
ClevrChico wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:52 am I've done enough churning and cancellation of unused cards, that my cards are too new to be much value. Also, I don't like boosting credit for deadbeats.
Yup. For every person with bad credit because of some legit medical misfortune or something similar, there are a hundred people who have a bad credit history because they don’t want to pay their bills. And that, ultimately, is a tax on those of us who do pay our bills.

Imo, the only way this would be sketchier is if I got paid in drugs.
Agreed. My dad managed a department store, and he had to take many people to court to recover funds from bad checks. Most simply chose not to pay, but could. (Mayor's wife, teacher, etc.) It made our family not so popular. :-)

Outside of that, the amount of customers that intentionally try to rip off businesses is shocking.
tj

Post by tj »

Outside of that, the amount of customers that intentionally try to rip off businesses is shocking.
I'm intrigued by this. Is everyone who calls and complains to their cable company for a discount "trying to rip them off?"

Is haggling in general trying to rip someone else off? Or is the company ripping off the potential customer because they don't haggle?
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

tj wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:22 am
I'm intrigued by this. Is everyone who calls and complains to their cable company for a discount "trying to rip them off?"

Is haggling in general trying to rip someone else off? Or is the company ripping off the potential customer because they don't haggle?
This was outright fraud/theft by the customer.

I've had family and friends manage and own restaurants. For takeout, people would call the next day, claiming they made a huge order, but X was left out, wanting a refund. The customers didn't realize that every order is recorded in a pos system, and no order was ever placed remotely matching them for said date/time. This happened multiple times, and customers would have to be barred by the restaurant. For dine in, dine and dash was a real thing, and measures would have to be taken to discourage it. (Like a buffet line, where you wouldn't receive a plate until you paid.)

I volunteer at an animal non-profit, and several times/year I'm given bad checks for an animal adoption. Some people have no intention paying until we threaten legal action.

Credit scores are an attempt to identify problem consumers and potential employees, which is why I have a problem with increasing credit scores with this method.
soupcxan

Post by soupcxan »

Fraud defined: “wrongful or criminal deception intended to result in financial or personal gain.”

Selling trade lines is a violation of the contract you accepted when you got your card. It is a civil matter, not criminal, but is surely fraud under the definition above.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

People add AU all the time. For example you can add your child at a certain age to start building their credit score. You don't need to give them the credit card either. No spending on the card is required. As the owner of the account the card will be mailed to your address only - you are fully responsible for thr account. You can add any AU user you want as long as you have the right info. Neighbor, friend, family, etc.
tj

Post by tj »

soupcxan wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:24 pm Fraud defined: “wrongful or criminal deception intended to result in financial or personal gain.”

Selling trade lines is a violation of the contract you accepted when you got your card. It is a civil matter, not criminal, but is surely fraud under the definition above.
Right, it's against the terms of service of the contract, so they can cancel your card if they don't like what you are doing with it.

I don't believe that there is any law that would allow them to sue you in court for any sort of civil damages.

So I'm not sure what you mean when you say it is civil fraud.
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

alpenglow wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:45 am I've read about it but won't do it as it strikes me as sketchy and amoral.
+1

Me too. I would have a hard time feeling good about this.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
lakpr

Post by lakpr »

ClevrChico wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:52 am Credit scores are an attempt to identify problem consumers and potential employees, which is why I have a problem with increasing credit scores with this method.
When you reduce the worth of a human being to a mere three digit number, the said human being has every right to increase self worth using any legal means possible. I do not have a problem with people gaining advantage using authorized user tricks. I have a problem with your basic premise that the credit scores do (or intended to) identify problem consumers/employees. They are intended to do nothing but maximize profits for lenders. Nothing wrong with maximizing profits either, just do not read anything more than it to be a business decision in the interests of the lenders, and just as seeking any trick to maximizing credit scores is a business decision that consumers take in their interests.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

lakpr wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:33 pm
ClevrChico wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:52 am Credit scores are an attempt to identify problem consumers and potential employees, which is why I have a problem with increasing credit scores with this method.
When you reduce the worth of a human being to a mere three digit number, the said human being has every right to increase self worth using any legal means possible. I do not have a problem with people gaining advantage using authorized user tricks. I have a problem with your basic premise that the credit scores do (or intended to) identify problem consumers/employees. They are intended to do nothing but maximize profits for lenders. Nothing wrong with maximizing profits either, just do not read anything more than it to be a business decision in the interests of the lenders, and just as seeking any trick to maximizing credit scores is a business decision that consumers take in their interests.
Not much sympathy for a small landlord, I guess. Credit scores aren’t just used by large lenders.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

For those who claim that this is against the credit card terms and conditions I would like to see that documented. I've never seen proof of that. As far as I know there are no restrictions on who you can add as authorized users. I don't see this as any different than for example Clark Howard and others who recommend you add your child as AU to build their credit based on your credit history.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Nate79 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:05 pm For those who claim that this is against the credit card terms and conditions I would like to see that documented. I've never seen proof of that. As far as I know there are no restrictions on who you can add as authorized users. I don't see this as any different than for example Clark Howard and others who recommend you add your child as AU to build their credit based on your credit history.
Good point. It's still true that the issuer can cancel your card for almost any reason. They could cancel the cards of known Bogleheads, for example. And they probably should, since not many of us pay fees or interest.
tj

Post by tj »

whodidntante wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:34 pm
Nate79 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:05 pm For those who claim that this is against the credit card terms and conditions I would like to see that documented. I've never seen proof of that. As far as I know there are no restrictions on who you can add as authorized users. I don't see this as any different than for example Clark Howard and others who recommend you add your child as AU to build their credit based on your credit history.
Good point. It's still true that the issuer can cancel your card for almost any reason. They could cancel the cards of known Bogleheads, for example. And they probably should, since not many of us pay fees or interest.
I've never bothered to read the cardholder agreements. You might be right that it's not in there. :D
Veiled

Post by Veiled »

There's been a decent bit of drama since Wealthy Accountant's post on this came out. After an MMM user challenged the company that Keith recommended, Keith rescinded the recommendation and edited his blog post. Then a representative of that company posted to the MMM thread containing the concerns (ten posts down), and then opened a thread to answer questions...then stopped answering questions.

Like others have said, I don't like this. It seems to violate some sort of step-doctrine-ish ideas, or maybe it's just too risky/unproven for my tastes.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Discussions of dishonest behavior* or bypassing the law is totally unacceptable. This thread has run its course and is locked.

* "sketchy", "may violate terms of service"
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.