The Final, Definitive Thread on Brokerage Transfer Bonuses

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
SlowMovingInvestor

Re: The Final, Definitive Thread on Brokerage Transfer Bonuses

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:05 pm

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:37 pm
SlowMovingInvestor wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:17 pm
is TDAM giving an cash for transfers to an existing account right now ? I have a small account in another brokerage that I want to transfer over (possibly topped with some cash to reach a threshold). I can only find pages about opening new accounts in TDAM.
I usually just open a new account when it says that. No real problem. You can always contact them and see if they will code the current account for a bonus.

Their standard offer is available:

https://www.tdameritrade.com/specialoffer.page

Their best offer doesn't seem to be active right now, or they haven't updated the offer page, as it says open by 9/30:

https://www.tdameritrade.com/offer/for90days/index.html
The only negative with opening a new account is that they send you another 1099 for that yearly. A very minor hassle, but stll a hassle. I did ask them about coding the current account, but didn't get a good answer. I wonder if it's worth visiting a branch office to see if they'll give a bonus for transfers to an existing account.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:30 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:24 pm
tj wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:21 pm
whodidntante wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:06 pm
Thanks EL. I just initiated a transfer of 100k to Merrill Edge and I should get $500 and the highest preferred rewards tier out of it. I have another 80k that is waiting for a good offer someplace, mostly likely a 50k offer. Q4 should bring something.
Consider both a $50k and a $25k offer. ETrade offers $200 for $25k which is more lucrative than anyone else.
$200 for 25k is generous, thanks for the tip.
I opened this one today.

learning_head

Post by learning_head » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:50 pm

Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:05 pm
Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:37 pm
Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:17 pm
is TDAM giving an cash for transfers to an existing account right now ? I have a small account in another brokerage that I want to transfer over (possibly topped with some cash to reach a threshold). I can only find pages about opening new accounts in TDAM.
I usually just open a new account when it says that. No real problem. You can always contact them and see if they will code the current account for a bonus.

Their standard offer is available:

https://www.tdameritrade.com/specialoffer.page

Their best offer doesn't seem to be active right now, or they haven't updated the offer page, as it says open by 9/30:

The only negative with opening a new account is that they send you another 1099 for that yearly. A very minor hassle, but stll a hassle. I did ask them about coding the current account, but didn't get a good answer. I wonder if it's worth visiting a branch office to see if they'll give a bonus for transfers to an existing account.
TDAM requires you hold the funds there for a year normally. Else, they claw back the bonus.

tj

Post by tj » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:12 am

whodidntante wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:30 pm
whodidntante wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:24 pm
tj wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:21 pm
whodidntante wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:06 pm
Thanks EL. I just initiated a transfer of 100k to Merrill Edge and I should get $500 and the highest preferred rewards tier out of it. I have another 80k that is waiting for a good offer someplace, mostly likely a 50k offer. Q4 should bring something.
Consider both a $50k and a $25k offer. ETrade offers $200 for $25k which is more lucrative than anyone else.
$200 for 25k is generous, thanks for the tip.
I opened this one today.
I did a few weeks ago. It's my 2nd Etrade account. Hopefully it shows up. I don't remember how long it took to post last time around.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:55 am

Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:03 pm
Does Fidelity have any bonuses in the third quarter (other than the largely useless 500 trades free bonus) ? I looked on their site, but didn't find anything. I used to particularly like their mileage bonuses, but those vanished at the end of March.
Fidelity seems to be out of the public bonus game at this time. You can always call and see if there is anything they can do, but I haven't heard of anyone successful at that.
This week's fortune cookie: "The stock market may be your ticket to success." I sure hope so!

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:33 pm

I just took a look at TD Ameritrade's offer for $1000 on 250k, and they have renewed it to run through the end of the year:

This week's fortune cookie: "The stock market may be your ticket to success." I sure hope so!

poundwise

Post by poundwise » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:19 pm

From the comments, it looks like in many cases brokerages are willing to offer bonuses beyond those that are publicly listed. Has anyone managed to get a bonus beyond the "$2500 for 1M," which is where public offers typically max out?

student

Post by student » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:23 pm

student wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:14 am
student wrote:In an effort to get bonuses, I opened an account with etrade today. However, my experience so far is negative. During the account opening process, I was ask to set up an external account. I set up my checking account. Afterwards, I decided to add my online savings account. It says for new customer, I have to wait 60 days for my protection. I chatted with them and the CS person said this is policy. I complained about there was no warning at the initial page. Well, most of my money is with the online savings account. I guess I need to do a 2-step process to go from online savings to checking to etrade. I wasn't happy but I can tolerate it. Since I was chatting with him, I asked him about the bonuses. He said there was no promotion that I was enrolled in. I complained and he said he would submit the request. I told him that I will wait a week and check back to see whether the promotion is in place before I transfer the money. Not impressed.
Update: I received an email this morning about enrollment of the promotion.
Update: The promotion states a) Deposit cash or securities from any external account. b) Get rewarded based on net deposits made within 45 days of account opening. c) Your cash credit will be posted to your account at the end of the 45-day period.

At the end of the 45-day period, I did not receive the promised bonus. I called to inquire, the representative told me that it takes 60 days and I just reached the threshold, and he said it will be deposited within a week. I told him that this is not what the promotions says but it is ok as long as it is deposited in a week. It was deposited the next day.

So my overall experience is not positive. I will probably close this account and consolidate elsewhere.

reallyconfused

Post by reallyconfused » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:19 pm

Am incorrect in that these bonuses do not apply to 401k rollovers? I think the TD Ameritrade offer specifally states that rollovers are not permitted.

Thanks,
RC

pre

Post by pre » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:32 pm

reallyconfused wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:19 pm
Am incorrect in that these bonuses do not apply to 401k rollovers? I think the TD Ameritrade offer specifally states that rollovers are not permitted.

Thanks,
RC
Assuming you mean the IRA transfer, not the act of rolling over a 401k to an IRA itself? Sounds strange TDA would not allow it, as it's basically a TIRA... For example, Merrill Edge's offer explicitly says rollover IRAs are allowed.

If want to be safe, maybe just do the rollover at the current 401k custodian to an IRA, then transfer that for the bonus qualification? I did that myself for a Fidelity account, took two days, then transferred it to a TDA TIRA

rrppve

Post by rrppve » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:27 pm

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:55 am
Does Fidelity have any bonuses in the third quarter (other than the largely useless 500 trades free bonus) ? I looked on their site, but didn't find anything. I used to particularly like their mileage bonuses, but those vanished at the end of March.
Fidelity seems to be out of the public bonus game at this time. You can always call and see if there is anything they can do, but I haven't heard of anyone successful at that.
Fidelity will match someone else's transfer bonus once a year as a retention deal. I just did this with a TD Ameritrade match. Just took a phone call. Best deal around as you don't have to move any money.

pre

Post by pre » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:42 pm

rrppve wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:27 pm
Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Fidelity will match someone else's transfer bonus once a year as a retention deal. I just did this with a TD Ameritrade match. Just took a phone call. Best deal around as you don't have to move any money.
Great to hear, mind sharing what tiers/buckets they match for? For example, $500 for $100k / $1k for $250k? Or the standard $600 for $250k / $1200 for $500k / $2.5k for $1M?

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:02 am

reallyconfused wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:19 pm
You'll need to provide the specific language you want clarification on. In general, rollovers from 401(k) to IRAs are eligible for bonuses, although some except ones from plans that they administer.

BashDash

Post by BashDash » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:24 pm

Is the Merril Edge bonus a "one time" bonus? I have been happy there but was thinking of bringing 100k to tdameritrade for their 500 bonus to take advantage of their commission free ETF trades. Was wondering if I can keep switching back and forth from Merril to TD?

I emailed my Merril rep for a retention bonus and heard nothing although I was not surprised.

Thanks!

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:55 pm

BashDash wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:24 pm
Is the Merril Edge bonus a "one time" bonus? I have been happy there but was thinking of bringing 100k to tdameritrade for their 500 bonus to take advantage of their commission free ETF trades. Was wondering if I can keep switching back and forth from Merril to TD?

I emailed my Merril rep for a retention bonus and heard nothing although I was not surprised.
I have had multiple bonuses from Merrill Edge.

rrppve

Post by rrppve » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:55 pm

pre wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:42 pm
rrppve wrote:
Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Great to hear, mind sharing what tiers/buckets they match for? For example, $500 for $100k / $1k for $250k? Or the standard $600 for $250k / $1200 for $500k / $2.5k for $1M?
They match whichever level you qualify for in the current version of the competitive promotion. You may need to send a link or copy of the competitive offer. They will not count 401(k) but do count IRAs.
I've found Fidelity customer service to be very good. Vastly superior to Vanguard.

SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:03 pm

FYI, I poked around a little bit at Fido and one rep said to me that there was a bonus available for bringing in $1M+ of new funds.

I didn't try asking around for retention bonuses.

SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:05 pm

So far, I've done the bonus game with IRAs only.

I'm a little reluctant to transfer taxable accounts because I'm concerned the tax basis may not transfer over properly. Am I just being paranoid ?

pre

Post by pre » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:34 pm

rrppve wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:55 pm
pre wrote:
rrppve wrote:
Earl Lemongrab wrote:
They match whichever level you qualify for in the current version of the competitive promotion. You may need to send a link or copy of the competitive offer. They will not count 401(k) but do count IRAs.
I've found Fidelity customer service to be very good. Vastly superior to Vanguard.
Thanks, good to learn. I've found their service courteous and professional, but they've yet to match an offer for me, whether retention or incoming funds -- I recall for 2-3 years, their marketing/back office didn't even call me back. Even when they had cash offers, they refused to even match TDA/Etrade/whomever

Did you call a specific department? Maybe that's the trick...

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:46 pm

Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:05 pm
So far, I've done the bonus game with IRAs only.

I'm a little reluctant to transfer taxable accounts because I'm concerned the tax basis may not transfer over properly. Am I just being paranoid ?
I have never had a problem. It takes a while to catch up, but gets there eventually. If you're worried, there's always an account view for the basis which you can record before transfer.

rrppve

Post by rrppve » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:38 pm

pre wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:34 pm
rrppve wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:55 pm
pre wrote:
rrppve wrote:
Earl Lemongrab wrote:

Thanks, good to learn. I've found their service courteous and professional, but they've yet to match an offer for me, whether retention or incoming funds -- I recall for 2-3 years, their marketing/back office didn't even call me back. Even when they had cash offers, they refused to even match TDA/Etrade/whomever

Probably helps that I'm a "Preferred Client." Have a guy in the local office who looks after me. Either call the Preferred Client guys or the Active Trader Services people. Either should be able to help you out.

SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:53 pm

rrppve wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:38 pm
pre wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:34 pm

Probably helps that I'm a "Preferred Client." Have a guy in the local office who looks after me. Either call the Preferred Client guys or the Active Trader Services people. Either should be able to help you out.

Do you mean Private or Preferred ? I'm a Fido 'Private Client' (technically executive services, which is supposedly even more rarified than Private Client), but I doubt I make much money for them, since I trade very little, and it's mostly commission free ETFs, and Fido funds/ETFs that I hold are very low cost index. I was told no bonuses available 3 months back, now a $1M transfer was mentioned.

I know that current CRM systems can often be setup to compute 'value' of a customer, so possibly Fidelity uses those to decide whether to offer a bonus.

rrppve

Post by rrppve » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:31 am

Call your designated contact in the local branch. They want to keep your money there. I've never done it through the nationwide call in lines. The local reps make it happen.