Verizon TravelPass

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Copernicus
Posts: 263
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 4:38 pm

Verizon TravelPass

Post by Copernicus » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:13 pm

I have Verizon with unlimited domestic calls and texts, and 2 Gb data. I want to use it in Prague and London for walking directions to places, some calls, texts, etc. If I get Verizon TravelPass, I would pay $10 per day/24 hours, and consume my domestic data package. If I use less than my 2 Gb data package, I would pay only $10 per day, not extra for the data use there. Is this correct?
Is dialing etc exactly the same as I would do here, or a mess of country codes etc.?

bluebolt
Posts: 555
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:01 am

Re: Verizon TravelPass

Post by bluebolt » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:19 pm

That is correct. You'll use your existing data allowance.

You will have to dial a '+' plus the country code for the country you are dialing. The US country code is 1, so +1 212 555 1212. UK is +44 and Czech Republic is +420.

I don't know how long you will be there, but I prefer to get a local SIM, since it is usually about 20 Euro for plenty of talk/text/data. And, since you have a Verizon phone, the SIM is unlocked.

Recent rules in Europe allow you to roam with your data across Europe without paying extra.

Copernicus
Posts: 263
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 4:38 pm

Re: Verizon TravelPass

Post by Copernicus » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:26 pm

I will be traveling for about 8 days in Prague and 12 in UK. Where does one get the SIM card and does the same card work in both countries?

Copernicus
Posts: 263
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 4:38 pm

Re: Verizon TravelPass

Post by Copernicus » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:29 pm

bluebolt wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:19 pm
............. I prefer to get a local SIM, since it is usually about 20 Euro for plenty of talk/text/data. And, since you have a Verizon phone, the SIM is unlocked.

Recent rules in Europe allow you to roam with your data across Europe without paying extra.
How to find how much talk/text/data is covered by the roughly 20 Euros SIM card?

BanquetBeer
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:57 pm

Re: Verizon TravelPass

Post by BanquetBeer » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:31 pm

When I traveled a lot Google FI phone service was amazing. Data and texts same cost as domestic and calls still quite cheap. Not the best phones or plans. Would probably get a local sim now that I no longer use their service.

Or buy a wifi hotspot with a local sim

Always viewed travel plans with verzion or att as rip offs
Last edited by BanquetBeer on Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bluebolt
Posts: 555
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:01 am

Re: Verizon TravelPass

Post by bluebolt » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:31 pm

Copernicus wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:26 pm
I will be traveling for about 8 days in Prague and 12 in UK. Where does one get the SIM card and does the same card work in both countries?
You can get it when you arrive or you can order it from Amazon or eBay. Yes, the new European roaming rules allow you to use it in both countries.

I assume you are going to the Czech Republic first. Check out this page for more info on the Czech mobile carriers & SIM card options:

http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/ ... h_Republic

Whakamole
Posts: 469
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:59 pm

Re: Verizon TravelPass

Post by Whakamole » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:41 pm

If you can download maps (which you can with Google Maps, and some other applications like HERE), you will not just save a bit on data, but not be as reliant on the local cell towers.

need403bhelp
Posts: 439
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 6:25 pm

Re: Verizon TravelPass

Post by need403bhelp » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:34 pm

FYI, you may already know this, but the Message+ app from Verizon allows you to call and text from your us number over Wifi for free (well, as part of your us plan - mine includes free international texting but calls only to us).

For calls to local phone numbers in a pinch, Google Hangouts has pretty good rates over wifi.

Otherwise, I would definitely get a local SIM (and you can still use Message+ over wifi even with local sim installed in your phone).

dccboone
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:02 pm

Re: Verizon TravelPass

Post by dccboone » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:05 pm

We tried to use Verizon TravelPass on recent trips to Vancouver and Italy but found it to be of almost no value in either place. Had very difficult time with reception unless we were in a place with wifi. Without good reception, Google maps was of no use. Not sure what experience others have had? Best of luck on your journey.

Exhilarate
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:53 pm

Re: Verizon TravelPass

Post by Exhilarate » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:56 pm

As mentioned by others, a local SIM card is a great idea.

Two other options to consider:

WiFi Calling, if your device supports it, works pretty good on Verizon. You can dial/receive calls and texts as if you were home on any WiFi network. I've found that this along with Google Maps to download offline maps of your destination is most of what I need on vacations.

Secondly, many hotels in the UK, and perhaps elsewhere, provide a complimentary cell phone in your room with free calling to US and free internet. Worth checking with your hotel if this is included. Likely to be a device from https://www.handy.travel

User avatar
CoinCounter
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:45 am

Re: Verizon TravelPass

Post by CoinCounter » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:12 am

We used Verizon TravelPass for a week in the Netherlands. It worked as advertised, essentially "localizing" our Verizon plan. Keep in mind that you're only charged each day that you use your phone's cell connection, so you can save money if you'll have days where you can exclusively depend on wifi.

Also second the suggestion to download the local map with Google Maps whenever you're on wifi - a good way to save data if you know you'll be using the app a lot in a certain area.
I think what I am seeing here is the ol' behavioral finance trap of loss aversion. Namely, folks rate losses twice as bad as the corresponding gains. Get over it. Get over loss aversion. - livesoft

i<3Investing
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Verizon TravelPass

Post by i<3Investing » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:02 am

I travelled to Japan for a few weeks twice this year.

The first time I went I used GoogleFi. Worked like a charm. Worked almost everywhere and was very reasonably priced. Ended up paying roughly $40 for the two weeks i was there and didn't skimp on data.

Second time I travelled i tried to restart my GoogleFi sim to find out that you can't do that. They'd overnight a new one but i'd procrastinated and it was too late. Oh well. My fault. I call to enable Verizon TravelPass. Cost $30 for the three days I used it. It was garbage. It would basically send texts but Maps and almost anything else wouldn't work. Or would work very slowly.

I ended up renting a MyFi hotspot and just keeping it in my backpack as I walked around. The Verizon Travelpass stayed turned off until I got back to the states. I highly recommend GoogleFi for travel. It's magically good. I've had co-workers who've used it in Europe without problem.

denovo
Posts: 3524
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:04 pm

Re: Verizon TravelPass

Post by denovo » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:48 am

Copernicus wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:13 pm
I have Verizon with unlimited domestic calls and texts, and 2 Gb data. I want to use it in Prague and London for walking directions to places, some calls, texts, etc. If I get Verizon TravelPass, I would pay $10 per day/24 hours, and consume my domestic data package. If I use less than my 2 Gb data package, I would pay only $10 per day, not extra for the data use there. Is this correct?
Is dialing etc exactly the same as I would do here, or a mess of country codes etc.?
As others have mentioned $10/day is a horrendous rip off. Any local carrier in any EU country will give you what you need for like 10-15 Euro for the whole trip.

Also, another tip if this is your first time going international. Go sign up for a credit card with no foreign transaction fee if you don't have one. All Cap One cards have no foreign transaction fees. No need to get much cash, very expensive if you order it in advance from banks or intl atms. Your no transaction fee cc should be your primary purchase tool.

Also, watch out for pick pocketers in prague.

dbr
Posts: 24189
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:50 am

Re: Verizon TravelPass

Post by dbr » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:48 am

The $10/day travel pass is very expensive and may or may not be worth it. There is also a $40/month plan from Verizon but the data limits are lower. It may be enough, however. I did travel in Europe with travel pass and it worked very well. Since we wanted two phones we also carried a cheap flip phone and just got a local sim to use for calling people and texting. There is also the advantage of that having a local number for people in the country to call/test you. An advantage of Verizon intn'l plan is that your phone is still the same one you use everyday with the same everyday number that people in the US will use same as ever.

I agree with those recommending a local sim in many cases.

Also those pointing out that maps can be downloaded are correct. Your GPS function does not require any cellular or Wifi data.

markcoop
Posts: 670
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:36 am

Re: Verizon TravelPass

Post by markcoop » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:04 am

Using Google maps offline by downloading maps when on wifi works great, or even downloading the maps when home. I went overseas and was able to use the GPS on my phone without using data for driving directions. However, and I never figured out if this was just something I was doing wrong, I don't believe you can't use it to give you walking directions.
Mark

Globalviewer58
Posts: 428
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:26 pm

Re: Verizon TravelPass

Post by Globalviewer58 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:12 am

I will be traveling for about 8 days in Prague and 12 in UK. Where does one get the SIM card and does the same card work in both countries?

If you are arriving in London Heathrow, take the Heathrow Express train to Paddington Station. There is a phone kiosk in the station where they will sell you the correct SIM for your phone, install the SIm and check that it is working. I think I paid the equivalent of $20 for a 1 month SIM a year ago.

neilpilot
Posts: 1086
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:46 pm
Location: Memphis area

Re: Verizon TravelPass

Post by neilpilot » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:32 am

markcoop wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:04 am
Using Google maps offline by downloading maps when on wifi works great, or even downloading the maps when home. I went overseas and was able to use the GPS on my phone without using data for driving directions. However, and I never figured out if this was just something I was doing wrong, I don't believe you can't use it to give you walking directions.
What does "I don't believe you can't use it to give you walking directions." mean?

I can confirm that, assuming you pre-load maps via wifi at home or in any hotspot, Google Maps or HERE works very well both driving and walking. I've done this many times, walking in various Asian, EU and Canada locations, with my phone disconnected from both cell and data services. Spent 3 weeks in Spain and 2 in Vancouver so far in 2017, without any driving. I had zero cell charges while I used my phone extensively for walking navigation and wifi-only apps.

Copernicus
Posts: 263
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 4:38 pm

Re: Verizon TravelPass

Post by Copernicus » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:53 am

neilpilot wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:32 am
markcoop wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:04 am
Using Google maps offline by downloading maps when on wifi works great, or even downloading the maps when home. I went overseas and was able to use the GPS on my phone without using data for driving directions. However, and I never figured out if this was just something I was doing wrong, I don't believe you can't use it to give you walking directions.
What does "I don't believe you can't use it to give you walking directions." mean?

I can confirm that, assuming you pre-load maps via wifi at home or in any hotspot, Google Maps or HERE works very well both driving and walking. I've done this many times, walking in various Asian, EU and Canada locations, with my phone disconnected from both cell and data services. Spent 3 weeks in Spain and 2 in Vancouver so far in 2017, without any driving. I had zero cell charges while I used my phone extensively for walking navigation and wifi-only apps.
Just learnt about the 'download' function in this thread! I downloaded Prague map and looked for direction off-line by going airplane mode. I was able to get directions for driving, but not for walking or public transport, or any other options! The message, "No routes found". Have iphone 7.
What might be the reason?

TravelforFun
Posts: 899
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:05 pm

Re: Verizon TravelPass

Post by TravelforFun » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:17 pm

I just got back from a two-week trip to Europe. I rented a Skyroam but had problems from day 1. Connected to my phone company, AT&T, using the hotel wifi and was able to activate the $10 per day unlimited plan. Worked great!

neilpilot
Posts: 1086
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:46 pm
Location: Memphis area

Re: Verizon TravelPass

Post by neilpilot » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:29 pm

Copernicus wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:53 am
neilpilot wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:32 am
markcoop wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:04 am
Using Google maps offline by downloading maps when on wifi works great, or even downloading the maps when home. I went overseas and was able to use the GPS on my phone without using data for driving directions. However, and I never figured out if this was just something I was doing wrong, I don't believe you can't use it to give you walking directions.
What does "I don't believe you can't use it to give you walking directions." mean?

I can confirm that, assuming you pre-load maps via wifi at home or in any hotspot, Google Maps or HERE works very well both driving and walking. I've done this many times, walking in various Asian, EU and Canada locations, with my phone disconnected from both cell and data services. Spent 3 weeks in Spain and 2 in Vancouver so far in 2017, without any driving. I had zero cell charges while I used my phone extensively for walking navigation and wifi-only apps.
Just learnt about the 'download' function in this thread! I downloaded Prague map and looked for direction off-line by going airplane mode. I was able to get directions for driving, but not for walking or public transport, or any other options! The message, "No routes found". Have iphone 7.
What might be the reason?
You don't leave sufficient information to help. For example, what software. It might be in your setup, but was the route you looked for walkable? PM if you want specifics

Copernicus
Posts: 263
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 4:38 pm

Re: Verizon TravelPass

Post by Copernicus » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:37 pm

i<3Investing wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:02 am
I highly recommend GoogleFi for travel. It's magically good. I've had co-workers who've used it in Europe without problem.
Thank you! I have iPhone and unfortunately, it does not work for iPhone. :(

Copernicus
Posts: 263
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 4:38 pm

Re: Verizon TravelPass

Post by Copernicus » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:42 pm

[/quote]

Just learnt about the 'download' function in this thread! I downloaded Prague map and looked for direction off-line by going airplane mode. I was able to get directions for driving, but not for walking or public transport, or any other options! The message, "No routes found". Have iphone 7.
What might be the reason?
[/quote]
You don't leave sufficient information to help. For example, what software. It might be in your setup, but was the route you looked for walkable? PM if you want specifics
[/quote]
Using iPhone 7. Downloaded Prague map on latest update of GoogleMaps. There is no option in Download to select which kind of navigation one wants. Its just a map download. Could only get driving directions, not for walking or other options.

feehater
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:14 am

Re: Verizon TravelPass

Post by feehater » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:50 pm

I use downloaded maps all the time when traveling, but, like markcoop, my googlemaps app does not give walking or transit directions when in offline mode. I just went into airplane mode and double checked to make sure I remembered correctly. This is on an Android phone.

By the way, I recently went to Japan, and Google does not let you download any maps at all. Something about regulatory rules. Very annoying!

neilpilot
Posts: 1086
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:46 pm
Location: Memphis area

Re: Verizon TravelPass

Post by neilpilot » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:52 pm

I no longer use GoogleMaps due to serious limitation mentioned, as well as what I consider an unfriendly user interface. I highly recommend HERE, which I've used extensively on both the Android and IOS platforms. However, using GoogleMaps wifi only on my Android I can get walking or transit navigation in Prauge (or other locations) just fine.

THY4373
Posts: 450
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:17 pm

Re: Verizon TravelPass

Post by THY4373 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:01 pm

Copernicus wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:37 pm

Thank you! I have iPhone and unfortunately, it does not work for iPhone. :(
Not quite accurate while likely a distinction without much difference, unlocked iPhones will work just fine with Project Fi with two major caveats. One, domestically you will be limited to T-Mobile (Sprint and US Cellular require one of the supported phones) and two the Project Fi SIM has to be activated in an approved Project Fi phone and I have read the Project Fi phone used for activation cannot have been used to activate a SIM previously (which means buying a used Project Fi phone cheap won't necessarily work). Also Project FI will give you free data SIMs and these should work fine in an unlocked iPhone for data only (but the caveat about activating the service from a Project Fi phone still applies).

THY4373
Posts: 450
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:17 pm

Re: Verizon TravelPass

Post by THY4373 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:08 pm

I have used Project Fi with a Nexus 6P (one, soon to be two generations behind current versions) in 10 countries in the least year. In general the service is seamless. However I did run into data issues in two countries. In Hong Kong to get data to work I had to drop down to 2G in the options and once connected I could then select 3G and things would work fine until it disassociated with the cell network when I connected to the wireless network at the hotel then when I left the hotel I had to rinse and repeat). In Italy the data mostly didn't work for the first day or two I was in Rome. I messed around with a bunch of stuff and it started working and was rock solid for the remaining two weeks.

One thing that really impressed with Project Fi was how well it worked in Cambodia. I was at the fairly remote site of Koh Ker several hours north of Siem Reap and pretty far out in the jungle and I had consistent 3G coverage out there.

neilpilot
Posts: 1086
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:46 pm
Location: Memphis area

Re: Verizon TravelPass

Post by neilpilot » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:14 pm

THY4373 wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:08 pm
I have used Project Fi with a Nexus 6P (one, soon to be two generations behind current versions) in 10 countries in the least year. In general the service is seamless. However I did run into data issues in two countries. In Hong Kong to get data to work I had to drop down to 2G in the options and once connected I could then select 3G and things would work fine until it disassociated with the cell network when I connected to the wireless network at the hotel then when I left the hotel I had to rinse and repeat). In Italy the data mostly didn't work for the first day or two I was in Rome. I messed around with a bunch of stuff and it started working and was rock solid for the remaining two weeks.

One thing that really impressed with Project Fi was how well it worked in Cambodia. I was at the fairly remote site of Koh Ker several hours north of Siem Reap and pretty far out in the jungle and I had consistent 3G coverage out there.
That's interesting, but the point of recommending HERE or GoogleMaps is that they always work fine irrespective of data coverage, since when set to work offline they don't require data. No reception issues. No data cost issues.

THY4373
Posts: 450
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:17 pm

Re: Verizon TravelPass

Post by THY4373 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:26 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:14 pm
That's interesting, but the point of recommending HERE or GoogleMaps is that they always work fine irrespective of data coverage, since when set to work offline they don't require data. No reception issues. No data cost issues.
Yeah I use data for a whole lot more than just maps when I am out and about so while I download maps (and often have a Garmin handheld GPS as well) being offline while I am out and about is not my preference if it can be avoided.

markcoop
Posts: 670
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:36 am

Re: Verizon TravelPass

Post by markcoop » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:38 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:52 pm
I no longer use GoogleMaps due to serious limitation mentioned, as well as what I consider an unfriendly user interface. I highly recommend HERE, which I've used extensively on both the Android and IOS platforms. However, using GoogleMaps wifi only on my Android I can get walking or transit navigation in Prauge (or other locations) just fine.
Sure, with wifi it works. Without wifi it does not work. Usually when I'm walking overseas I don't have wifi.

Your HERE link did not work.
Mark

neilpilot
Posts: 1086
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:46 pm
Location: Memphis area

Re: Verizon TravelPass

Post by neilpilot » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:27 pm

markcoop wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:38 pm
neilpilot wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:52 pm
I no longer use GoogleMaps due to serious limitation mentioned, as well as what I consider an unfriendly user interface. I highly recommend HERE, which I've used extensively on both the Android and IOS platforms. However, using GoogleMaps wifi only on my Android I can get walking or transit navigation in Prauge (or other locations) just fine.
Sure, with wifi it works. Without wifi it does not work. Usually when I'm walking overseas I don't have wifi.

Your HERE link did not work.
Are you testing me? I have no idea that I left a "HERE link", so I wouldn't expect it to work.

So let me step you thru it.....when you say "Usually when I'm walking overseas I don't have wifi.". Neither do I, but I do have wifi at home and I usually know beforehand what countries or regions I plan to visit.

I'll use my last few trips as examples. Before I left for 3 weeks in Spain earlier this year, I simply downloaded the ONE 166mb map that covered all of the Balearic Islands, since I know I was spending all of my time sailing around Menora and wanted a map to guide my port visits. I could have loaded the entire country, but there was no need. When I was walking in Menora I didn't have wifi, but the maps were on my phone so HERE worked fine with my cellular voice and data connections switched off (they remained off the entire 3 weeks I was in Spain).

For last year's trip to Munich and the Costa del Sol I download the TWO maps I needed, Bavaria (441mb) and Andalucia (292mb).

All of the downloads were from home, before I left.

Does that help you understand why you can use HERE while walking around WITHOUT wifi?

killjoy2012
Posts: 918
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:30 pm

Re: Verizon TravelPass

Post by killjoy2012 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:50 pm

Just keep in mind that the new "roam like at home" rule is slightly different for PAYG SIMs, which is what you'd by purchasing as a non-resident tourist:

"If you pay per unit, and your domestic unit price of data is less than €7.7 per GB, your operator may apply a roam like at home volume limit on data. That limit should be at least the volume obtained by dividing the remaining credit on your pre-paid card when you start using data roaming services (excluding VAT) by €7.7. For instance if you have €13 (€10.8 excluding a 20% VAT) left on your SIM card when starting roaming data, you will have at least 10.8/7.7=1.4 GB of roaming data. For your information, €7.7 is in 2017 the maximum price that your operator has to pay the foreign operator for 1 GB of data when you are abroad in the EU. This means that you get in Roam Like at Home exactly the volume of roaming data you have paid for in advance. For voice and SMS, you will pay exactly the same unit price as at home."

http://www.czech.cz/en/95267-mobile-ope ... munication
https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/networks/

Vodafone operates in both countries. I'd check their coverage maps and PAYG offerings.
In the UK, I prefer EE as they allow free tethering/hotspot on the PAYG service. That way I can get a local SIM for my phone & tether the ipad to it... or vise versa.

bluebolt
Posts: 555
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:01 am

Re: Verizon TravelPass

Post by bluebolt » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:09 pm

killjoy2012 wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:50 pm
Just keep in mind that the new "roam like at home" rule is slightly different for PAYG SIMs, which is what you'd by purchasing as a non-resident tourist:

"If you pay per unit, and your domestic unit price of data is less than €7.7 per GB, your operator may apply a roam like at home volume limit on data. That limit should be at least the volume obtained by dividing the remaining credit on your pre-paid card when you start using data roaming services (excluding VAT) by €7.7. For instance if you have €13 (€10.8 excluding a 20% VAT) left on your SIM card when starting roaming data, you will have at least 10.8/7.7=1.4 GB of roaming data. For your information, €7.7 is in 2017 the maximum price that your operator has to pay the foreign operator for 1 GB of data when you are abroad in the EU. This means that you get in Roam Like at Home exactly the volume of roaming data you have paid for in advance. For voice and SMS, you will pay exactly the same unit price as at home."

http://www.czech.cz/en/95267-mobile-ope ... munication
https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/networks/

Vodafone operates in both countries. I'd check their coverage maps and PAYG offerings.
In the UK, I prefer EE as they allow free tethering/hotspot on the PAYG service. That way I can get a local SIM for my phone & tether the ipad to it... or vise versa.
True, but in reality, you just buy a prepaid card with a fixed amount of data (you don't pay per unit), and then it just works. That was my experience. Paid 20 EUR for a card with limited calling/unlimited text/3GB data and it worked everywhere I went.

obgraham
Posts: 936
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:30 pm

Re: Verizon TravelPass

Post by obgraham » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:04 am

Actually I like the Verizon TravelPass. It works exactly as advertised. We go to Canada a lot, where the rate is $2 a day, and have used it on our last two Europe trips, at $10 a day. We're on a 12 gig plan with 2 phones and a hotspot.

For us it is a good deal and hassle free. However we are not glued to our phones. We also carry a laptop or even two. We try to bunch our Verizon usage into just a few of the days. Last trip was 10 days in Europe, we did all our Verizon stuff in 3 days, and used wifi the rest of the time. Total cost $30. Sure, maybe you can get a sim card for a few bucks less, but for me it's not that important.

bluebolt
Posts: 555
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:01 am

Re: Verizon TravelPass

Post by bluebolt » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:52 am

obgraham wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:04 am
Actually I like the Verizon TravelPass. It works exactly as advertised. We go to Canada a lot, where the rate is $2 a day, and have used it on our last two Europe trips, at $10 a day. We're on a 12 gig plan with 2 phones and a hotspot.

For us it is a good deal and hassle free. However we are not glued to our phones. We also carry a laptop or even two. We try to bunch our Verizon usage into just a few of the days. Last trip was 10 days in Europe, we did all our Verizon stuff in 3 days, and used wifi the rest of the time. Total cost $30. Sure, maybe you can get a sim card for a few bucks less, but for me it's not that important.
If that works for you, great. When I'm on vacation, I don't want to have to think about bunching up my access. So, I get more convenience and a lower price with a local SIM - don't have to think about when to use, finding wifi, etc. Obviously, different folks have different priorities.

stan1
Posts: 5027
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:35 pm

Re: Verizon TravelPass

Post by stan1 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:01 am

BanquetBeer wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:31 pm
Always viewed travel plans with verzion or att as rip offs
Their international plans have changed dramatically in the last year or so. It's gotten much better for infrequent travellers ($10/day to access domestic plan features internationally rather than paying per MB which really was a racket). In OP's case I would pay the $200 for 20 days and skip the local SIM. Simple.

wrongfunds
Posts: 924
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:55 pm

Re: Verizon TravelPass

Post by wrongfunds » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:59 am

The cost comes in play when you are traveling as family and want the ability to get hold of each other if separated. That means every member of the family pays $10 per day. For 7 day trip for family of 4 that will be $280!

The way I think about this now a days is that as it is I will be spending over $10K on the vacation and $280 is drop in the bucket and don't let that spoil the experience any more. I mentally remove the total needed cost from the account before the trip and then don't sweat nickels, dimes, dollars, hundreds etc during the the vacation or afterwards.

Before I learned how to do that, we had too many fights on the vacation. Now before the vacation starts, I ask myself. Can I afford the total cost and do I have the money in cash? Since the answer is yes, I no longer let $4.50 for a water bottle per person per meal destroy the vacation. The $10 per phone per person per day now becomes equivalent to drinking two tiny bottles of water per day!

Lacrocious
Posts: 296
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:45 pm
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Verizon TravelPass

Post by Lacrocious » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:36 pm

It's expensive, but it just worked. We were in London and Paris the end of September. We were going to get SIMS, but ended up not dealing with it as we wanted to get our text's from home for things like CC fraud alerts in case there were issues while traveling. Next time we travel internationally, we will have to give it some more thought.
- L

dbr
Posts: 24189
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:50 am

Re: Verizon TravelPass

Post by dbr » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:49 am

wrongfunds wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:59 am
The cost comes in play when you are traveling as family and want the ability to get hold of each other if separated. That means every member of the family pays $10 per day. For 7 day trip for family of 4 that will be $280!

The way I think about this now a days is that as it is I will be spending over $10K on the vacation and $280 is drop in the bucket and don't let that spoil the experience any more. I mentally remove the total needed cost from the account before the trip and then don't sweat nickels, dimes, dollars, hundreds etc during the the vacation or afterwards.

Before I learned how to do that, we had too many fights on the vacation. Now before the vacation starts, I ask myself. Can I afford the total cost and do I have the money in cash? Since the answer is yes, I no longer let $4.50 for a water bottle per person per meal destroy the vacation. The $10 per phone per person per day now becomes equivalent to drinking two tiny bottles of water per day!
My choice for this kind of thing is to consider the Verizon plan for my own phone and to carry along a simple unlocked quad band flip phone for which we buy a local sim for the other person. That also provides a local number for people in the country to call us.

RudyS
Posts: 839
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:11 am

Re: Verizon TravelPass

Post by RudyS » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:42 am

Just back from a short trip to Toronto. I signed up for Verizon Travelpass, but never used it. Cost is now $5, not $2 any more. I just got alongh on wifi. Downloaded map via Google Maps is fine. But it does not provide streetcar directions when in offline mode. Just need to plan ahead or pop into Starbucks,etc. Last summer were on a cruise in Iceland. Never used the travelpass then either, just got along on wifi. Before leaving, I sent family and friends an email telling them NO phone calls or texts, just email me. Worked out OK. But is might be relevant- I'm 80, and not part of the "be on the phone every minute" generation.

Copernicus
Posts: 263
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 4:38 pm

Re: Verizon TravelPass

Post by Copernicus » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:19 am

RudyS wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:42 am
But is might be relevant- I'm 80, and not part of the "be on the phone every minute" generation.
Bravo!!

dbr
Posts: 24189
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:50 am

Re: Verizon TravelPass

Post by dbr » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:14 am

Copernicus wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:19 am
RudyS wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:42 am
But is might be relevant- I'm 80, and not part of the "be on the phone every minute" generation.
Bravo!!
We used to be that way until we found that more and more when traveling if you can't communicate by phone you can be severely inconvenienced. You can also be severely inconvenienced if you can't get online to receive e-mail, make and check reservations, verify schedules, weather , etc., and so on and so on. It isn't fun if you arrive at a rental location and find a sign that says "Call us and we'll come over and let you in."

RudyS
Posts: 839
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:11 am

Re: Verizon TravelPass

Post by RudyS » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:20 am

dbr wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:14 am
Copernicus wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:19 am
RudyS wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:42 am
But is might be relevant- I'm 80, and not part of the "be on the phone every minute" generation.
Bravo!!
We used to be that way until we found that more and more when traveling if you can't communicate by phone you can be severely inconvenienced. You can also be severely inconvenienced if you can't get online to receive e-mail, make and check reservations, verify schedules, weather , etc., and so on and so on. It isn't fun if you arrive at a rental location and find a sign that says "Call us and we'll come over and let you in."
Good points, but that's why I am signed up for Verizon travelpass. It's my fall-back when I can't get on wifi. There was so much wifi available that I didn't need to use the travelpass for 8 days in Iceland, or 3 days in Toronto.

Copernicus
Posts: 263
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 4:38 pm

Re: Verizon TravelPass

Post by Copernicus » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:06 pm

So, from a travelpsass country abroad, if you call or text a number in the US and the travelpass country you are in, Verizon simply counts those call minutes as if called within US? And if you call a number outside the country that you have travelpass for, then international rates apply. Is this correct?

RudyS
Posts: 839
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:11 am

Re: Verizon TravelPass

Post by RudyS » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:04 pm

Copernicus wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:06 pm
So, from a travelpsass country abroad, if you call or text a number in the US and the travelpass country you are in, Verizon simply counts those call minutes as if called within US? And if you call a number outside the country that you have travelpass for, then international rates apply. Is this correct?
Their CS guy said my phone would work just like I was home. But I wouldn't rely on my memory, suggest you call VZ CS yourself.

obgraham
Posts: 936
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:30 pm

Re: Verizon TravelPass

Post by obgraham » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:11 pm

This thread points out what we all understand but often ignore: The value of a service plan can only be determined by applying it to your own circumstances.

I'm like RudyS and a few others. When I'm on vacation overseas I seldom use my phone for anything, and in fact usually don't turn it on. But I accept there might be a need sometimes. So for me the TravelPass is very inexpensive.

From judging as I walk around, lots of others use their phone every minute of the 24 hour day. Obviously, the rate is an expensive way for them to go.

Of course I try not to be judgemental (!!)

wrongfunds
Posts: 924
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:55 pm

Re: Verizon TravelPass

Post by wrongfunds » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:16 am

Verizon is on the roll; from $2 per day to $5 per day for Mexico and Canada?? I guess they believe their customers have no choice but to pay that much for the privilege of being able to use their phone.

Post Reply