Iphone X is $1000

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
emoore

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by emoore » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:09 am

Momus wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:24 pm
Sorry iRipoff X is a mediocore device, not worth purchasing.

I will go Galaxy Note 8 all the way if I am ready to drop serious money.
- Higher resolution 520 ppi vs 458 ppi
- Brighter display to fight against direct sunlight 1200 nits vs. 620 nits iRipoff
- Samsung Pay (any pay terminal - not NFC bound), will work anytime, and unlocked NFC vs. NFC limited to only Apple pay
- Finger print scanner + Iris scanner vs. none (let's have your boyfriend open your phone using your face when you are asleep lol)
- Software Home button vs no home button
- Quick Charge 2.0 vs. no fast charging capabilities
- More immersive screen without that stupid cut off black bar on the top. Why why why?!?!
- More storage up to 2TB vs. 250 GB max
- Better waterproofing IP68 (5 feet submersion) vs IP67 (3.3 feet submersion)
- No camera bump vs camera bump will wobble on flat surface
- Cheaper

Sorry Apple, I won't give a dime to your company as usual :-D Technologically challenged device at a premium price to ripoff your most gullible customers don't work to me. It's a mediocore phone sold at a luxury price to naive buyers.
So you’re calling millions of people idiots. Nice.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:15 am

emoore wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:09 am
My wife and I own iPhones, so I'm not defending, but honestly, can't you think of other situations where calling people idiots is justified? Perhaps well intentioned, honest, earnest, but idiots nonetheless?

emoore

Post by emoore » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:50 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:15 am
emoore wrote:
My wife and I own iPhones, so I'm not defending, but honestly, can't you think of other situations where calling people idiots is justified? Perhaps well intentioned, honest, earnest, but idiots nonetheless?
I can but I try to not call a massive group of people idiots, maybe individual people but not an entire group of people. And for not for buying something, it's just a phone for ***** sake! I guess I find it a little annoying that people get so worked up about consumer items (phones, cars, etc). I don't understand why it's a big deal because someone buys a competing device or car. But that's just me.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:04 am

Momus wrote:

- Brighter display to fight against direct sunlight 1200 nits vs. 620 nits iRipoff
- Samsung Pay (any pay terminal - not NFC bound), will work anytime, and unlocked NFC vs. NFC limited to only Apple pay
- Finger print scanner + Iris scanner vs. none (let's have your boyfriend open your phone using your face when you are asleep lol)
- More immersive screen without that stupid cut off black bar on the top. Why why why?!?!
- Cheaper

Sorry Apple, I won't give a dime to your company as usual :-D Technologically challenged device at a premium price to ripoff your most gullible customers don't work to me. It's a mediocore phone sold at a luxury price to naive buyers.
Android has always out competed Apple on a feature-for-feature list. However, spec sheets often reveal little about the ultimate user experience. For example, a "higher resolution" screen doesn't really mean anything if the display is already higher resolution than your eye can perceive at typical viewing distances. 2TB of storage does nothing for you if you never need to store more than 250gb. Megapixel count says little about the quality of the photos these days- the quality of the sensor and lens makes a much bigger difference.

None of that is to say that the Android experience can't be better than the Apple experience. I've owned both apple and Android devices and have found plusses and minuses for each. Apple has the advantage of having a screened app ecosystem- if it's on the app store it's not malware and it should have at least basic functionality. Android has a broader ecosystem. Apple has an excellent track record of providing device updates for many years. Android record is spotty, but you get much more customization in return. Given the subjectivity of the user experience, it's not particularly helpful to label people "gullible" for preferring one over the other.

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:14 am

stratton wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:28 pm
stratton wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:58 pm
wander wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:58 pm
stratton wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:31 am
wander wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:50 pm
I am not sure if new Iphones support new T-Mobile 600 MHz frequency. T-Mobile users may need to wait for another phone.
No it won't.
I thought so too. Thanks for confirming that. For that, I wouldn't think of any reason to buy this phone if I was a T-Mobile user.
I have no idea if it is just a bios upgrade for the new band to be added or it requires an all new LTE modem which probably means wait until next year for a new phone.
Confirmed it's a hardware update.
Because the capability to support 600MHz is hardware based, the new iPhones will not be able to get support later on through a software upgrade.
Currently T-Mobile is adding the 600Mhz spectrum to areas where they have the least coverage. It would be nice in their current coverage areas for better building coverage. It probably wouldn't have helped me five years ago in the convention area under the Chicago Hyatt Regency 40 feet below street level.

Paul
Hey, I was just there last week! Thankfully, the conference organizers had blazing fast wifi throughout the three-level event so I didn't have to worry about coverage. :D I had a blast in Chi-town, and can't wait till the kids are a bit older to take them.

I'll probably be getting the 7+, just gonna wait a bit to see if I can snatch up a refurb for an even better discount.

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:17 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:15 am
emoore wrote:
The older I get the more I realize that broad, sweeping generalizations about a group of people almost always make the person making such a sweep look ignorant. Doesn't mean I'm not guilty of doing it sometimes, but gnothi seauton.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:22 am

Momus wrote:

- Cheaper

Tell us how you really feel! :mrgreen:

I fully agree. Perhaps the 'perfect phone' (or computer for that matter) would be Apple software running on Android hardware. My wife and I tried Apple for a short time but now we're on the Android bandwagon.

Apple does a great job of optimizing the user experience and their phones feel great and run well despite being a generation behind. They have a very strong brand and stand behind their product. There's also less to fiddle with - Android phones tend to come loaded with vendor-specific crapware that must either be removed or hidden. Apple has a much smoother experience out of the box. If I weren't a techno-geek I suspect I would favor Apple.

jjface

Post by jjface » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:13 pm

thangngo wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:02 pm
jjface wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:19 pm
It is all relative. My cell plan costs $7.50 a month and some people pay $80 a month. I could buy an Iphone X and still be paying less.

At the end of the day the real decision is whether picking an X over an iphone SE, 6S or 7 (or +) is worth it. You get a phone that is 90-95% of what the X is at a fraction of the cost. And yet still have the headphone jack for the earlier ones and touchid etc. These days the older models can still work really well. No real need for an upgrade. Plus who really wants to limit themselves to just faceID or a passcode to unlock. People will still buy it though. Must have the latest.
Which cellphone plan are you using?
Well actually I have a new one. I was using a TPO on tmobile 250 mins/250 texts/250mb LTE with unlimited 64k data. https://store.tpo.com/promos/welcome Not enough for most but good enough for me. I now have the free year of sprint unlimited. Costs $3.89 a month.

Oblivious

Post by Oblivious » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:20 pm

Can't wait to buy it. $1149 is a small cost compared to the utility I get out of it. I couldn't imagine saying that a few years ago, but it's obvious now.
Last edited by Oblivious on Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:24 pm

The iPhone is simply the best phone I have ever used.

Thanks.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:43 pm

Texanbybirth wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:17 am
The older I get the more I realize that broad, sweeping generalizations about a group of people almost always make the person making such a sweep look ignorant. Doesn't mean I'm not guilty of doing it sometimes, but gnothi seauton.
^^This!!

Humanity has an ugly way with prejudice that indeed says more about the person speaking the sweeping generalizations than about the target group. In this case the brand and the users of the brand are the target. Odd that the prejudice has been allowed to fester throughout this thread, but kudos for stepping up and pointing it out. :beer

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:57 pm

sunny_socal wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:22 am
Momus wrote:

I fully agree. Perhaps the 'perfect phone' (or computer for that matter) would be Apple software running on Android hardware. My wife and I tried Apple for a short time but now we're on the Android bandwagon.

Apple does a great job of optimizing the user experience and their phones feel great and run well despite being a generation behind. They have a very strong brand and stand behind their product. There's also less to fiddle with - Android phones tend to come loaded with vendor-specific crapware that must either be removed or hidden. Apple has a much smoother experience out of the box. If I weren't a techno-geek I suspect I would favor Apple.

Apple has the best processor in a mobile device by a wide Martin. There is nothing behind about the chip and hardware in an iPhone. As for the other options on the phone- Apple has only ever taken proven technologies, improved them, and made them mainstream. Don't ever expect them to be the first to do anything.

Also, wouldn't want to match up Apple software with Android hardware. If anything, the other way around. Android software also doesn't get updates or security patches as often, and warranty/support is much less robust. I know many people still carrying fully updated and functional older iPhones. My work iPhone is a 6 Plus, which is now several generations old and has no issues. A coworker has Galaxy S4 or 5 that he can't update, runs well enough, but there are many apps unsupported now and he's vulnerable to security hacks.

marc515

Post by marc515 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:25 am

Momus wrote:

- Cheaper

Apple doesn't need your dime!
m

knick17

Post by knick17 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:11 pm

anoop wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:00 pm
knick17 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:34 pm
I understand the concern with the OS. I used to have a MacBook and I agree with the better performing of the OS and the machine in general.
The point for me is that the brand is becoming more expensive than the performance and the results. And Apple to me is loosing the professional touch they used to have.
I think they are still better than the competition. For me, it's worth the premium, but I can see it may not be for everybody. If I was struggling with my finances, for example, I would be priced out and would live with the cheaper alternative. Right now, I view it as a luxury expense which brings me a lot of joy. I know many people who made the switch to Android/Windows and came right back.
True is better than competition....but not if compered on same price range. Apple charge silly money for a cable (which they use a specifically a Apple type), they charge silly money for earphones, the charge for apps that on other OS is free...they are getting a bit out of hand...

emoore

Post by emoore » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:33 pm

knick17 wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:11 pm
anoop wrote:
knick17 wrote:
I understand the concern with the OS. I used to have a MacBook and I agree with the better performing of the OS and the machine in general.
The point for me is that the brand is becoming more expensive than the performance and the results. And Apple to me is loosing the professional touch they used to have.
I think they are still better than the competition. For me, it's worth the premium, but I can see it may not be for everybody. If I was struggling with my finances, for example, I would be priced out and would live with the cheaper alternative. Right now, I view it as a luxury expense which brings me a lot of joy. I know many people who made the switch to Android/Windows and came right back.
True is better than competition....but not if compered on same price range. Apple charge silly money for a cable (which they use a specifically a Apple type), they charge silly money for earphones, the charge for apps that on other OS is free...they are getting a bit out of hand...
The phone comes with earphones and a cable and a charger. Not sure how that’s silly money.

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:26 pm

knick17 wrote:
the charge for apps that on other OS is free...they are getting a bit out of hand...
I think you're thinking of Microsoft. Apple and Google both have free productivity suites.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:47 am

emoore wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:33 pm
The phone comes with earphones and a cable and a charger. Not sure how that’s silly money.
You’re not being fair. The phone comes with one cable. They don’t last forever, and are expensive. Additionally, I need a cable for the car, one for the office, one for my bedroom, and then one to replace the one that seem to go missing all the time.

Apple cables and chargers are a serious profit center, for iPhones and MacBooks.

Disclosure: I own many apple products, but they are greedy on the accessories.

ERISA Stone

Post by ERISA Stone » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:14 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:47 am
emoore wrote:
You’re not being fair. The phone comes with one cable. They don’t last forever, and are expensive. Additionally, I need a cable for the car, one for the office, one for my bedroom, and then one to replace the one that seem to go missing all the time.

Apple cables and chargers are a serious profit center, for iPhones and MacBooks.

I have the ability to use the same cable that comes with my iphone/ipad everywhere I need to - my office, car, etc. How is this different from any other device I purchase? Out of convenience, I choose to buy several cables so I don't have to carry one around with me everywhere, just like I would for any other device I have. You don't have to buy Apple branded cables and chargers. There are plenty of other companies that make the same product at a lower cost.

If you're talking about adapters for the computers, I agree that this can be a headache. But if you're not purchasing your first mac, you should know by now that you need to add an additional $50-$100 to the purchase price for those.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:35 am

ERISA Stone wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:14 am
TomatoTomahto wrote:
emoore wrote:

I have the ability to use the same cable that comes with my iphone/ipad everywhere I need to - my office, car, etc. How is this different from any other device I purchase? Out of convenience, I choose to buy several cables so I don't have to carry one around with me everywhere, just like I would for any other device I have. You don't have to buy Apple branded cables and chargers. There are plenty of other companies that make the same product at a lower cost.

If you're talking about adapters for the computers, I agree that this can be a headache. But if you're not purchasing your first mac, you should know by now that you need to add an additional $50-$100 to the purchase price for those.
IRL, I think most people who can afford an iPhone refuse to use only the provided cable, just as you do. It seems that every time I upgrade my iPhone or iPad, I have to get a bunch of new cables also. I don’t buy Apple branded cables, but they’re still pricey.

I wouldn’t mind paying once, but I have lost count on how many MacBook chargers I’ve had to buy for the family. For the price, they’re poorly designed and built, resulting in frayed cables.

I’m not intending a rant; I’m a willing victim. I was just reacting to the nonsense of “hey, they come with earbuds and a cable, what’s the problem?”

ERISA Stone

Post by ERISA Stone » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:51 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:35 am
ERISA Stone wrote:
TomatoTomahto wrote:
emoore wrote:

IRL, I think most people who can afford an iPhone refuse to use only the provided cable, just as you do. It seems that every time I upgrade my iPhone or iPad, I have to get a bunch of new cables also. I don’t buy Apple branded cables, but they’re still pricey.

I wouldn’t mind paying once, but I have lost count on how many MacBook chargers I’ve had to buy for the family. For the price, they’re poorly designed and built, resulting in frayed cables.

I’m not intending a rant; I’m a willing victim. I was just reacting to the nonsense of “hey, they come with earbuds and a cable, what’s the problem?”
Are you referring to the change that happened somewhere between the iPhone 4 and 5 or 6 where they changed the cord design? Other than that, I honestly don't know how it's different from any other device. At this point, I can't remember the last time I bought a cord because I have so many Apple devices that there are spare cords everywhere in the house and vehicles.

I can't speak to the mac computer cords. I've only had one stop working and I've never had any other issue with them.

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:11 am

I've been using Apple products since the mid-80s so I'm way up there on the idiot scale. I've been called a sheeple to my face by a windows acolyte and now it seems that the google geniuses are here to save me from myself. No thanks. Here's why.

Outside of cursory review, I have no idea of the specs of any computer, phone or other device. I base my purchases on how a device works for my needs and how it interacts with my other devices. You can't eat the menu.

I don't know if Apple execs sit around trying to figure out ways to bilk their customers on cables but I doubt it. Likely, they make decisions that will expand and grow their platform and their business going forward. They probably get some of those decisions wrong and have to change course.

Last time I looked, Apple does not charge me a dime for iCloud services, photo cloud storage, and a bunch of apps which work pretty well for my needs. So I'm pretty sure it's not a profit center for them. I base this on math: $0 paid by me to use these services.

Apple takes my privacy very seriously, I believe--as can be witnessed by actions and stands they've taken in the past with government(s).

And here she is the most important point

Apple sells hardware and all their software is designed to support it and give the user the best experience. The point being, if they succeed, you continue to buy their hardware. By comparison, Google generally gives you the product for free and uses your data to make advertising $$. As the saying goes, you are the product.

Which company do you think will likely look out for your interests more? For this reason, I don't use google products other than in a cursory fashion. I have a gmail account which is used as a spam honey pot, I have a google voice number which I give out to anyone who I don't want to have my cell number, I use DuckDuckGo for search, and I use maps about 99% of the time for gps.

As for the iPhone X, no plans to purchase it. Using a 6s Plus right now and may go with an SE or whatever small phone offering seems best in the new or used market for my next phone. I keep my phone 3-4 years. Apple products hold up well to use and software updates, I have found.

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:21 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:

I use the cable that comes with the phone until there are less expensive alternatives available (if the new phone uses an existing connector, then I don't have to wait and/or I already have the cables).

By the way, monoprice has a lifetime warranty on cables. I have had 3 or 4 replacement lightning cables shipped to me over the past several years quickly and for no charge. The cables are high quality, but eventually something happens as I use them all the time.

hudson

Post by hudson » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:55 am

hudson wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:49 am
cutterinnj wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:31 pm
iPhone X has some really cool things but it's too new.
Give it a year; the iPhone XS, XI, or whatever they call the next one, will likely have most of the bugs ironed out. Plus, OLED screens should be cheaper by then.

I'm quite happy with my 6S, and will continue to use it for at least another year or two.
Me too...I use the 6S Plus 64GB...my notes...iPhone 6S Plus VS iPhone 8S Plus

just the facts with a few thoughts...(The iPhone is the only Apple product that I use)

iPhone 8 Plus memory: IF I bought the 8S Plus, I would go with the nice 256 GB
Water Resistance: a big plus
Size is the same...bigger would be a plus
Finger print sensor same...not big deal
Camera stuff...not a big deal for me
Siri...I don't use...my granddaughter likes it
Battery...the 8 plus is maybe 10% stronger
Lightning Connector...same
Volume: The 8's speakers are 25% louder...a plus.
Charging: both by lightning 8 Plus by Wireless QI Charging...interesting...need more info on the QI charging (Update..Belkin will sell a QI Charger listing for about $60 http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/09/ ... 8-iphone-x)
Ear Pods...I don't use but 8S Plus now uses the lightning
Hearing Aid: I use hearing aids so I'm interested; right now the 6S Plus is good...no hook up to my hearing aids needed. My current hearing aids aren't compatible with the iPhone without an expensive add on. My next hearing aids will be iPhone compatible...I'm in no hurry to replace.
Screen Stuff: not interested
Additional memory and processor: My 6S Plus is fast enough; memory is OK

6S Plus Specs: https://www.apple.com/iphone-6s/specs/
8 Plus Specs: https://www.apple.com/iphone-8/specs/

Overall: I shouldn't bite; if I do it will be long after the rush. I can't justify going to the 8 Plus unless my 6 Plus dies.
My 6S Plus is frequently at risk of water damage; the biggest attraction for the 8 Plus is water resistance. I think the 8 Plus and the iPhone 7 have the same water resistance rating.

What would make me want to buy a new model today?
really good water resistance
really tough...drop proof...no case needed
if it had a 6.5 inch diagonal display instead of a 5.5 inch display
Update:
I've had my new iPhone 8 plus (direct from Apple) for a few days...just some thoughts
Verizon said that I needed a new sim card; they delivered it free in 4 days.
Compared to my 6S plus it is noticeably faster and louder; the fingerprint sensor works better. I bought the Apple case on the same page as the 8 plus. It's smaller and sleeker than my old case...no screen protector; I'm going to go without. Since I'm in the weather a lot, I like the improved water resistance. My wife got to go from a 4 year old small iPhone 5S to the 2 year old 6S Plus; she likes the larger screen. My granddaughter was the most excited because she got the old iPhone 5S...now effectively an iPod Touch. We're on family sharing which means easy messaging and facetime; I get to approve any apps for my granddaughter.

sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:23 am

I'm still using the iPhone 5S. Would like to upgrade to the 6S Plus but can't bring myself to pay $650 for one. Hopefully they will drop with the X and 8 on the market now.

Regarding the iOS and Android debate. I've written an iPhone app that got approved by Apple. I can tell you the guidelines and security in writing iOS apps are very strict when it comes to Apple. Apple must approve all apps before they enter the App store. There are a host of UI rules and security guidelines you have to follow not to mention the app has to be deemed useful, otherwise it will get rejected. The reason they can do this is Apple owns the software (Objective C, Swift) for writing the apps and the OS so they can enforce those rules. This is why there is really good consistency among iOS apps and the fact you rarely hear of iPhones getting hacked or infected with a virus. From my limited time with Android apps, it was much looser UI, security wasn't as tight and I don't believe there is a central group that reviewed the code and had to approves the apps.. at least at the time.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:53 am

I recently bought an LG X Charge on Xfinity Mobile for a spare second phone for $1.

The camera is inferior to the camera on my Samsung S7 edge, the screen is not as bright or crisp, and the processor is a bit slower. But in overall usefulness and experience, it comes pretty close.

I am sure the iPhone X is better than an LG X Charge. But by a rather small margin.

In fact, given that the X Charge has expandable memory and I maxed out my prior phone with music, I think I might prefer the X Charge to the X. I would certainly rather have 2 X Charges for $2 rather than one iPhone X for $1000 when I drop my phone.

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:02 am

ERISA Stone wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:51 am
TomatoTomahto wrote:
ERISA Stone wrote:
TomatoTomahto wrote:
emoore wrote:

Are you referring to the change that happened somewhere between the iPhone 4 and 5 or 6 where they changed the cord design? Other than that, I honestly don't know how it's different from any other device. At this point, I can't remember the last time I bought a cord because I have so many Apple devices that there are spare cords everywhere in the house and vehicles.

I can't speak to the mac computer cords. I've only had one stop working and I've never had any other issue with them.
Have either of y'all heard of Anker braided cords? I bought one for my office about a month ago. I hope it will last longer than (a) the crummy Apple cords, and (b) the slightly better but still crummy Amazon replacement cords.

I too keep one in my (and my wife's) car, my office, and our charging outlet at home. The cords are just terrible.

Signed,

Another willing victim

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:42 am

TexanByBirth wrote:Have either of y'all heard of Anker braided cords? I bought one for my office about a month ago. I hope it will last longer than (a) the crummy Apple cords, and (b) the slightly better but still crummy Amazon replacement cords.
Yes, that’s what I use exclusively (having finally discovered them). The only drawback is that they seem to disappear, at roughly the same pace at which my wife, kids, visitors, etc. convert.

Hmmm, could there be a connection? :D :oops:

Great cable. I use a lot of Anker products, generally. Great USB wall plugs.

KarenC

Post by KarenC » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:58 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:42 am
Sounds like you are quick to Anker.
"How much you know is less important than how clearly you understand where the borders of your ignorance begin." — Jason Zweig

Xpe

Post by Xpe » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:06 am

so much rationalization in this thread

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:21 am

KarenC wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:58 am
TomatoTomahto wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:42 am
Sounds like you are quick to Anker.
:sharebeer

Dendritic Tree

Post by Dendritic Tree » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:43 am

There's an article on Forbes about how the iPhone X will likely only have 2-4 million units available this year because of a bottleneck with the face sensor, as opposed to 13 million on opening weekend with past models. So this will create incredible scarcity, and consequently these phones will probably fetch incredible prices on the pre-Christmas secondary market.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkell ... 78e35737e0

If you're willing to get up at 3am on 10/27 to secure a pre-order, it sounds like there's quite a profit to be made. My wife and I have 3- and 5-year old iPhones, respectively, and I've been putting up with a dead ear speaker and some other problems specifically to hold out for the newest phone, as sort of a reward. We're thinking about trying to both get iPhone X for ourselves, and maybe scoring a third one to sell on eBay to subsidize the cost of the other two.

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:49 pm

Sort of off topic, however regarding phone cables, I recently upgraded my phone to a Motorola X play phone on Republic Wireless. This phone has a monster battery that lasts nearly two days with regular use. As a result, I only use One charging cord and it's at my home base station. I never need to use charging anywhere else as the phone battery is always ready to go come even with heavy phone use is pretty remarkable actually. It's too bad the Apple iPhone does not quite have this degree of battery longevity, but I am sure they will get there at some point.

My last phone had a more normal battery life of approximately one day, and I had about 10 separate charging cords and at least three separate Quick Charge units in addition to regular charge wall warts. Much better in the current situation with only one charging station needed.

sco

Post by sco » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:00 am

What is truly amazing, and has been for some time. Is how much Apple can charge for internal storage. What value do they add there, besides the fact that you can't upgrade it yourself?

knick17

Post by knick17 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:03 pm

emoore wrote:
knick17 wrote:
anoop wrote:
knick17 wrote:
....$1000 is more than silly money!