Tesla roof deposit: Anyone paid one?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
longterm100
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:00 am

Tesla roof deposit: Anyone paid one?

Post by longterm100 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:04 pm

If so then what is your wait time for the roof? how did the quote to install compare with the online calculator?

I'm purchasing a property that needs a new roof ($25K) and I'm looking into the feasibility of a Tesla roof knowing that in 5-years or so the chances are I'll own 2 x electric cars.

Thanks

mouses
Posts: 2445
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:24 am

Re: Tesla roof deposit: Anyone paid one?

Post by mouses » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:21 pm

I had no idea this existed:

https://www.tesla.com/solarroof

I'm not spending big in my house, since its days in hurricane territory/rising sea level territory are limited, but I'd certainly find out about that otherwise.

What are they quoting per square foot? I didn't see a calculator.

ThriftyPhD
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:43 am

Re: Tesla roof deposit: Anyone paid one?

Post by ThriftyPhD » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:25 pm

Another option are the more traditional solar panels. https://www.tesla.com/solarpanels or http://www.solarcity.com/residential/solar-panels They might be cheaper than the powered shingles, though obviously with a different look. The solarcity panels do tend to look a lot nicer than some of the installs I've seen.

denovo
Posts: 3524
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:04 pm

Re: Tesla roof deposit: Anyone paid one?

Post by denovo » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:26 pm

mouses wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:21 pm
I had no idea this existed:

https://www.tesla.com/solarroof

I'm not spending big in my house, since its days in hurricane territory/rising sea level territory are limited, but I'd certainly find out about that otherwise.

What are they quoting per square foot? I didn't see a calculator.

If you type in your address and then click on the "Cash Tab" they give you an estimate on the cost of the roof. My roof is roughly 2,600 sq. ft and they estimate the cost of a solar roof at $68,000. :twisted: For comparison, a new tile roof would cost me about $24,000.

User avatar
unclescrooge
Posts: 1628
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:00 pm

Re: Tesla roof deposit: Anyone paid one?

Post by unclescrooge » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:37 pm

I just spent $13.5k on a new shingle roof and $17.5k for solar panels.

By comparison, Tesla roof was $96k

DanMahowny
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:25 pm

Re: Tesla roof deposit: Anyone paid one?

Post by DanMahowny » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:47 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:37 pm
I just spent $13.5k on a new shingle roof and $17.5k for solar panels.

By comparison, Tesla roof was $96k
My electric bill is $131 p/mo (36 month average).

$96k / $1,572 = 61 years worth of electric bills.

chuppi
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:47 am

Re: Tesla roof deposit: Anyone paid one?

Post by chuppi » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:52 pm

longterm100 wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:04 pm
If so then what is your wait time for the roof? how did the quote to install compare with the online calculator?

I'm purchasing a property that needs a new roof ($25K) and I'm looking into the feasibility of a Tesla roof knowing that in 5-years or so the chances are I'll own 2 x electric cars.

Thanks
I am in a similar situation. I purchased the property last year. I was told that the roof was bad and I got some refund from the seller as well. It held up the crazy rain last year. I know that I will be forced to replace it in a few years.
I will be getting electric cars when its time to replace cars. I want to potentially generate as much energy as much as I consume and make it a net zero house.

My roof is ~1600sq ft. The cost is 42K per their calculation. There is a 10K tax credit. Tesla roof comes with lifetime warranty.
Conventional roof would be around 15K. Solar panels would be another 10-15K (I haven't researched it enough).

I think tesla roof if worth considering. If you are anyway replacing your roof and you plan to get solar panels it is in par or just a little more expensive than the other options.
I am interested in getting other opinions as well.

chuppi
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:47 am

Re: Tesla roof deposit: Anyone paid one?

Post by chuppi » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:13 pm

DanMahowny wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:47 pm
I just spent $13.5k on a new shingle roof and $17.5k for solar panels.

By comparison, Tesla roof was $96k
When it's time to replace the roof, I will get quotes and compare. I am not for one or the other at this point.
I know roof cost would vary from place to place. If tesla roof cost is 96K, it is a probably a 4000 sq ft roof. I think it would be more expensive to replace it with shingle in California. This calculation is definitely dependent on the location.

Looks like it is very much dependent on location, roof size, electricity consumption, unit cost, etc...

User avatar
unclescrooge
Posts: 1628
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:00 pm

Re: Tesla roof deposit: Anyone paid one?

Post by unclescrooge » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:31 pm

chuppi wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:52 pm
longterm100 wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:04 pm
If so then what is your wait time for the roof? how did the quote to install compare with the online calculator?

I'm purchasing a property that needs a new roof ($25K) and I'm looking into the feasibility of a Tesla roof knowing that in 5-years or so the chances are I'll own 2 x electric cars.

Thanks
I am in a similar situation. I purchased the property last year. I was told that the roof was bad and I got some refund from the seller as well. It held up the crazy rain last year. I know that I will be forced to replace it in a few years.
I will be getting electric cars when its time to replace cars. I want to potentially generate as much energy as much as I consume and make it a net zero house.

My roof is ~1600sq ft. The cost is 42K per their calculation. There is a 10K tax credit. Tesla roof comes with lifetime warranty.
Conventional roof would be around 15K. Solar panels would be another 10-15K (I haven't researched it enough).

I think tesla roof if worth considering. If you are anyway replacing your roof and you plan to get solar panels it is in par or just a little more expensive than the other options.
I am interested in getting other opinions as well.
my 3200 sqft home has a 2500 sq ft footprint. I doubt your roof/solar panel costs are as high as you think. More like $20 combined.

User avatar
unclescrooge
Posts: 1628
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:00 pm

Re: Tesla roof deposit: Anyone paid one?

Post by unclescrooge » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:35 pm

chuppi wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:13 pm
DanMahowny wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:47 pm
I just spent $13.5k on a new shingle roof and $17.5k for solar panels.

By comparison, Tesla roof was $96k
When it's time to replace the roof, I will get quotes and compare. I am not for one or the other at this point.
I know roof cost would vary from place to place. If tesla roof cost is 96K, it is a probably a 4000 sq ft roof. I think it would be more expensive to replace it with shingle in California. This calculation is definitely dependent on the location.

Looks like it is very much dependent on location, roof size, electricity consumption, unit cost, etc...
Yes, it's 4000 sq ft roof in Souther California. I spent $13.5k on GAF timberline cool roof shingles. They come with a 10 year warranty against leaks, and should last about 22-25 years.

hightower
Posts: 359
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:28 am

Re: Tesla roof deposit: Anyone paid one?

Post by hightower » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:47 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:37 pm
I just spent $13.5k on a new shingle roof and $17.5k for solar panels.

By comparison, Tesla roof was $96k
Exactly. The Tesla roofs don't make a lot of sense financially at this point. Just too expensive. I have a standing seam metal roof on my house that cost us 20k to install. It should easily last 50-60 years or more (the original roof that was on the house was 130 years old!). Anyway, a new solar panel system for us was quoted at 12k after tax incentives. That's for an 8kw system that would have provided all of our electricity except for about 3 months of the year when our AC is running full blast. So, 32k for our new roof with solar panels. Tesla would have been at least 50k and they aren't even available yet. Plus, good luck finding a qualified installer in the mid-west. Additionally, solar panels are still dropping in price. 3 years ago we got a quote for a 3.7 kw system that was 16k after tax incentives. This year we got a quote for an 8 kw system for 12k. Glad I didn't buy 3 years ago!
I'm a big fan of Tesla and I already own 1 electric car and plan on getting a second the next time we need a car, but their solar roofs are just not a good buy...yet (I do believe they will be in the future though).

User avatar
HomerJ
Posts: 10460
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:50 pm

Re: Tesla roof deposit: Anyone paid one?

Post by HomerJ » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:25 am

chuppi wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:52 pm
Tesla roof comes with lifetime warranty.
What happens if Tesla goes out of business?

User avatar
unclescrooge
Posts: 1628
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:00 pm

Re: Tesla roof deposit: Anyone paid one?

Post by unclescrooge » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:42 am

HomerJ wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:25 am
chuppi wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:52 pm
Tesla roof comes with lifetime warranty.
What happens if Tesla goes out of business?
When Tesla goes bankrupt your warranty is worthless.

Yes, I said when, not if. You can't run a company at a multi-billion dollar loss and expect to make it up on volume.

lightheir
Posts: 2197
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:43 pm

Re: Tesla roof deposit: Anyone paid one?

Post by lightheir » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:15 am

unclescrooge wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:42 am
HomerJ wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:25 am
chuppi wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:52 pm
Tesla roof comes with lifetime warranty.
What happens if Tesla goes out of business?
When Tesla goes bankrupt your warranty is worthless.

Yes, I said when, not if. You can't run a company at a multi-billion dollar loss and expect to make it up on volume.

Ha ask Amazon, uber, spacex, etc all of which launched that way

Angelus359
Posts: 766
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:56 am

Re: Tesla roof deposit: Anyone paid one?

Post by Angelus359 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:44 am

lightheir wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:15 am
unclescrooge wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:42 am
HomerJ wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:25 am
chuppi wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:52 pm
Tesla roof comes with lifetime warranty.
What happens if Tesla goes out of business?
When Tesla goes bankrupt your warranty is worthless.

Yes, I said when, not if. You can't run a company at a multi-billion dollar loss and expect to make it up on volume.

Ha ask Amazon, uber, spacex, etc all of which launched that way
Amazon retail still functions at a loss.
Their aws service is subsidizing their retail business.
IT-DevOps System Administrator

VaR
Posts: 388
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:27 pm

Re: Tesla roof deposit: Anyone paid one?

Post by VaR » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:55 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:35 pm
Yes, it's 4000 sq ft roof in Souther California. I spent $13.5k on GAF timberline cool roof shingles. They come with a 10 year warranty against leaks, and should last about 22-25 years.
What state are you in? I'd bet that Tesla won't be installing solar roofs in quantity until 2019 at the earliest and only in California. Beyond that I'd say that the states they will expand to will be states with high electricity costs, good state solar incentives, and high home prices where the high cost of the non-solar parts of the roof will be viewed as worth it for the architectural value.

Let's use an example home with a 2500 sq ft roof:
1. A 3-tab 25-year composition shingle roof would cost about $10,000 installed.
2. A 30-year architectural/dimensional shingle roof would cost about $12,000 installed.
3. A 50-year premium architectural shingle roof would cost about $15,000 installed.
4. An aluminum standing-seam roof would cost about $28,000 installed.
5+ natural slate: $43k, clay tiles: $46k

For this home, Tesla estimates $30k for a solar roof with zero solar and no PowerWall. I think this is a good baseline to use for comparison. Above this, we can look at the cost of adding solar.

Super rough calculations for the above home is that a 7kW system will cost an additional $17k (without a PowerWall) before the federal tax credit of $7k. Note that the solar actually costs $23k but the non-solar roof costs go down by 6k. So net the roof savings, this is $2.40 per watt. Not counting the roof savings it's $3.20 per watt.

As a comparison, I got a quote for a 12kW system for $34k before the federal tax credit of $10k or $2.83 per watt.

So let's say you buy 50% solar coverage for your roof or 17.5 kW. The Tesla price is $70k
17.5 kW of conventional rooftop solar would be $50k.
So you're getting a new glass shingle roof for $20k.

So if their estimates are correct, it's not a terrible deal. It all depends on what you think a glass shingle roof costs. And if you were going to get a slate or aluminum metal seam roof, you're getting a good deal.

The key things are:
1. When is this product actually going to be ready?
2. Are the cost estimates accurate?
3. Will it look as good as in the pictures?

Personally, I'd be interested in getting one if it was actually available but that because I think it looks nice and is comparable in price.

Mudpuppy
Posts: 5470
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:26 am
Location: Sunny California

Re: Tesla roof deposit: Anyone paid one?

Post by Mudpuppy » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:19 pm

Here's a discussion on the Tesla Solar Roof from earlier this year: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=218650

Post Reply