Growing old without kids or younger caring relatives

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
visualguy

Re: Growing old without kids or younger caring relatives

Post by visualguy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:22 am

Truly depressing to think about this, and very easy to be in denial. If I remember correctly, about 15% of people never have children in the US, so this is a fairly common problem.

Cruise

Post by Cruise » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:33 pm

Dave bricoleur wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:52 pm
and re: suicide when feeble

It might be possible to set up an email deadman switch so that after some number of unanswered emails it funds "Dial-a-Hitman" and a professional comes out to finish me off when I'm face down in the mashed potatoes.

Hopefully the hitman looks first to make sure it's not an unplugged modem or overly active spam filter...

-dave
LOL. Thanks! :happy

j0nnyg1984

Post by j0nnyg1984 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:42 pm

As I'm only 36, I've only given this a small amount of thought. I have a parent with Alzheimer's, so my #1 thing is that I will not let that happen to me. I just hope I can do something about it before it's too late.

I'm saving tons of money for "retirement," no wife, no kids, no real desire for either. I just plan to move to south america or somewhere similar at around 50, 55, 60 years old. Enjoy life as much as possible, and when it's time to go, I'll figure out a way.

Death and old age isn't something I waste much of my time thinking about.

InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:12 am

6miths wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:58 pm
...the secret to happiness in old age was to have at least two daughters...
The Blue Zones, a book on longevity, reported that, on average, men with daughters live longer. Seems to be true for my father :)